Virtual PC 6.1 wont connect to Internet. HELP!

I have VPC 6.1 connection to a DSL line running on an Ibook 777 .

the DSL is able to get IP number via the DNCP server on regualr Mac. .
but not while on VPC

when u check the VPC network . . says the ethernet card emulator is
working fine.

Manually typing in the IP addresses doesnt help.

I have read here about TCP/IP drivers that are missing..  and they
suggested re-installation.

I tried that. btu didnt seem to help

would appreciate any help as I been playing with this problem for days

Thanks in advance

NC
0
nc258 (4)
9/24/2003 1:00:26 AM
comp.sys.mac.comm 3057 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

In article <230920032100267764%nc@hotmail.com>,
 ketjones <nc@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I have VPC 6.1 connection to a DSL line running on an Ibook 777 .
>
>the DSL is able to get IP number via the DNCP server on regualr Mac. .
>but not while on VPC
>
>when u check the VPC network . . says the ethernet card emulator is
>working fine.
>
>Manually typing in the IP addresses doesnt help.
>
>I have read here about TCP/IP drivers that are missing..  and they
>suggested re-installation.
>
>I tried that. btu didnt seem to help
>
>would appreciate any help as I been playing with this problem for days
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>NC

If your iBook is already on the internet when you start up a VIRGIN copy
of VPC, then your virtual PC is on the internet too. Make no settings or
changes, just use what ever PC applications you need.

If you have been attempting to set up a Windows connection to the
internet then all bets are off.

--
Ron
0

Need help reverting from Eudora 6.2.4 to Eudora 6.1.1 on Mac
I've been a user of Eudora for my email for years, and had been using 6.1.1 in paid mode for the last couple of years. So, last night when an "Update Available" popped up automatically in the program, I finally decided to upgrade, even though it would mean paying another fee. So, I go ahead and download 6.2.4 (apparently bypassing the Eudora home page and going directly to download) and install it, only to find: 1) Qualcomm quit offering a paid mode last May, and 2) the sponsored mode has disabled spam filters. Now, all the spam dumps right into my In box. Is there a way I can...

Help: PowerBook G4, Virtual PC, Lotus Notes Designer 6.5.1
Hi Guys I have searched everywhere but cannot seem to find any information on the following configuration that I wish to purchase: 12" PowerBook (1.25 GHz) with 1024 MB Memory Virtual PC 6.1 Lotus Notes Designer 6.5.1 Basically I want a system that I can do Notes development on - I currently use a Win XP PC for the main work, want a portable for the small jobs when I am at customer sites. My wife has a 15" PowerBook and she is very happy with it. The only thing missing for me is the LN Designer. I would also use the system to take notes, create spreadsheet etc, but I would use Mac native applications for these tasks. Anybody has something like this up and running who would care to comment? Thanking you in advance Ursus Schneider ...

Who can help us getting SciLab started? Console Error Messages when attempting to start scilab-5.1.1 on Mac OS X 10.6.1
These are the Console Error Messages when attempting to start scilab-5.1.1 on Mac OS X 10.6.1 by double clicking the icon. Who can help us getting SciLab started? ZK 11/8/09 1:59:06 AM [0x0-0xd60d6].org.scilab.modules.jvm.Scilab[2494] dyld: Symbol not found: __ZNSo9_M_insertIlEERSoT_ 11/8/09 1:59:06 AM [0x0-0xd60d6].org.scilab.modules.jvm.Scilab[2494] Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/LaunchServices 11/8/09 1:59:06 AM [0x0-0xd60d6].org.scilab.modules.jvm.Scilab[2494] Expected in: /Applications/scilab-5.1.1-alpha-1.app/Contents/MacOS/share/scilab/../../lib/thirdparty//libstdc++.6.dylib 11/8/09 1:59:06 AM [0x0-0xd60d6].org.scilab.modules.jvm.Scilab[2494] in /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/LaunchServices 11/8/09 1:59:09 AM [0x0-0xd60d6].org.scilab.modules.jvm.Scilab[2494] /Applications/scilab-5.1.1-alpha-1.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/scilab: line 313: 2505 Trace/BPT trap "$SCILABBIN" "$@" 11/8/09 1:59:09 AM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[112] ([0x0-0xd60d6].org.scilab.modules.jvm.Scilab[2494]) Exited with exit code: 133 11/8/09 1:59:09 AM ReportCrash[2507] Saved crash report for scilab-bin[2505] version ??? (???) to /Users/heinz/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/scilab-bin_2009-11-08-015909_iMacDuo.crash ...

Hi all, I have a ADSL modem connected to a Sitecom DC207 router which in turn is connected to 3 PC's, one of which is old, turned on 24/7, and mostly used for downloading stuff. At times it rather hogs the internet connection, slowing down the connection the other PC's can make substantially. Can anyone suggest a way to limit the share this machine gets of the total internet connection? The downloading software in question does not offer a possibility to limit it's downloading efort to a certain amount. Is there perhaps a way to squeeze the relevant LAN port on the router...

After my PC has been idle, free Zone Alarm seems to time-out and I have to restart the PC to connect to the Internet
I've been using the free version of Zone Alarm for a couple of weeks. When I leave the PC is idle for an hour or so I am often unable to connect to the Internet. Sometimes I can shut Zone Alarm down and connect, but most of the time I have to restart the PC. I'm running behind a router on a home network. How can I change Zone Alarm so I can connect to the Internet after the PC has been idle without shutting down and restarting it? Thanks! Check the ZA icon in your system tray. If it changes to a "lock", that means the automatic lock has been activated after a certain period of inactivity preventing any internet connection, incoming or outgoing. To reconnect to the Internet, right-click on the ZA icon, un-check "Engage Internet Lock" and surf away. You can also disable the Automatic Lock completely by opening the ZA Control Center, click Program Control | Main tab| under Automatic Lock -"off". Or you can change the length of the period of inactivity by clicking on the Custom button in "Automatic Lock" and adjusting the various properties. HTH Aloha, BD "Ginny" <gintn@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:vuspttsma8cgce@corp.supernews.com... > I've been using the free version of Zone Alarm for a couple of weeks. When I > leave the PC is idle for an hour or so I am often unable to connect to the > Internet. Sometimes I can shut Zone Alarm down and connect, but most of the > time I have to r...

I have 6 PC's with Linux installed and Cable modem with LAN connection, How can I hookup all these PC's to Internet??
I have 6 PC's with various Linux flavors and Cable modem connection from Comcast (LAN connection provided on Cable Modem), also 8-port Linksys switch, How can I hook all these PC's to Network, I have half dozen extra NIC cards. If I install one extra NIC card in one of the Linux PC (two NIC cards in one PC) and connect one NIC card to cable modem and other NIC card to 8-port switch will it work (do I have to do any configuration)?. Or if I connect cable modem directly to one port on the switch and other 6 PC's to switch on other 6 slots, will that work?. Thanks. GS wrote: > I have 6 PC's with various Linux flavors and Cable modem connection > from Comcast (LAN connection provided on Cable Modem), also 8-port > Linksys switch, How can I hook all these PC's to Network, I have half > dozen extra NIC cards. If I install one extra NIC card in one of the > Linux PC (two NIC cards in one PC) and connect one NIC card to cable > modem and other NIC card to 8-port switch will it work (do I have to do > any configuration)?. Or if I connect cable modem directly to one port > on the switch and other 6 PC's to switch on other 6 slots, will that > work?. Thanks. You can use one of the computers as a firewall, that included address translation. Place it between the cable modem and the switch. If I install extra NIC card and enable firewall from services (service iptables start) then PC acts as a firewall inbetween my cable modem and s...

share internet connection Mac and PC
can anyone tell me a simple way to do this for a young friend. main computer has a wifi receiver , win 98, wifi receiver is usb. older mac with OS 9 or 8 if need be. mac has a ethernet port but no PCI. want to share internet with Mac. how can this be doe simply and relatively inexpensively ? In article <1111215262.268962.94190@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>, frankdowling1@yahoo.com wrote: > can anyone tell me a simple way to do this for a young friend. > main computer has a wifi receiver , win 98, wifi receiver is usb. > older mac with OS 9 or 8 if need be. > mac has a ethernet port but no PCI. > want to share internet with Mac. > how can this be doe simply and relatively inexpensively ? Get a router with ethernet and WiFi. -- Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu Arlington, MA *** PLEASE post questions in newsgroups, not directly to me *** <frankdowling1@yahoo.com> wrote: > can anyone tell me a simple way to do this for a young friend. > main computer has a wifi receiver , win 98, wifi receiver is usb. > older mac with OS 9 or 8 if need be. > mac has a ethernet port but no PCI. > want to share internet with Mac. > how can this be doe simply and relatively inexpensively ? It's not clear from your post whether the PC is connected directly to the internet or whether it's using a wireless router that's already set up. If there's not already a wireless router, get one, along with a wireless ethernet bridg...

Virtual PC Internet Connection Risks
All, I would appreciate some advice about how best to implement Virtual PC for Mac Version 7. I have been a Mac user for years and have recently purchased one of the new G5's --- a wonderful machine. I plan on using Virtual PC to run various special purpose economic modeling and decision software that is not available on the Mac platform. All of this software can be run offline; there should be no need to access the internet via Virtual PC. My question revolves around how best to install Virtual PC. In looking at the instructions it appears that one would normally install Virtual P...

Virtual PC 6 and internet configuration
Hi, I've just installed VPC 6 on a 17" iMac running 10.2.6. This mac is connected to an Airport using an ethernet cable and the LAN port, with a separate Powerbook connected to the Airport through wireless. In turn, the Airport is connected to the internet with SBC DSL. I'd like to configure this for internet use through Win 2K on VPC but have been afraid to do it without knowing what I'm doing for fear of harming my Airport/internet settings on my Macs. I also plan to install VPC on the Powerbook but wanted to get it right on one before messing with the other. Any help ...

Virtual PC 6.1 and Win98
Hello. Can someone tell me if VPC 6.1 works with Win98? There is nothing mentioned on the box, only Windows 2000 and XP. Anything special to take into account when upgrading from 5.0.4 and with Panther? Robert -- The Adress my@privacy.net is against spammers and goes directly into the bin. To contact me privately reverse and use ed.xmg@xuniLtrebor Robert <me@privacy.net> wrote: > Can someone tell me if VPC 6.1 works with Win98? There is nothing > mentioned on the box, only Windows 2000 and XP. It does. And with DOS and Windows 3.1. -- Per Erik R�nne Per R�nne <doesnt.wo...

Virtual PC 6.1 and FreeDOS
Has anyone had any luck with this combination? I haven't been able to get it to work; the FreeDOS installer causes Virtual PC to crash. Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001) Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0x06f5d006 Thread 0 Crashed: 0 com.microsoft.VirtualPC 0x00135208 PPCVideoAccess::ScrollTextUp() + 0x25c 1 com.microsoft.VirtualPC 0x000aa674 VPCVideoControllerDevice::VideoISAExtRoutine(VPCDevice*, unsigned char) + 0x78 2 com.microsoft.VirtualPC 0x000bac2c VPCVirtualProcessor::ProcessISAExtension(unsigned char, unsigned char) + 0x3c (etc,...

Internet connect with Mac as host PC as guest
Can any one tell me how to connect a PC running XP to my Mac G4 running OSX so the PC can log on to the internet as a guest through the G4 as host please? Both can see each other through an ethernet box fine and work great transfering between them no problem at all. I have tried all the obvious routes and advice from apple site and XP help etc but nothing seems to work. Interent connection is through internal modem on the mac as is not ADSL. Cheers for any help * posted via http://mymac.ws ratbass <mike.ratcliffe@wanadoo-dot-fr.no-spam.invalid> wrote: > Can any one tell me how to connect a PC running XP to my Mac G4 > running OSX so the PC can log on to the internet as a guest through > the G4 as host please? > Both can see each other through an ethernet box fine and work great > transfering between them no problem at all. > I have tried all the obvious routes and advice from apple site and XP > help etc but nothing seems to work. > Interent connection is through internal modem on the mac as is not > ADSL. (1) Configure the PC for DHCP on its Ethernet connection. Make sure there is no other DHCP server on the LAN. (2) Connect to your ISP through the Mac's internal modem. (3) Go to the Mac's System Preferences -> Sharing -> Internet, select Modem in the "Share your connection from:" pop-up menu and check "Built-in Ethernet" in the "To computers using:" list. (4) Find out why no sane person s...

help: sharing internet connection between 2 pc
hi, I have cable connection at home, and a wireless network. My desktop has both wireless card and Ethernet card, laptop has Ethernet card build-in but no wireless. I would like share desktop's internet connection with the laptop by connecting them together via a router. Here the setup: The desktop is online via its wireless card to the main house router, I connect a second router to the Ethernet port of the desktop, and the laptop attached to the second router as well. But when I tried to setup sharing the internet connection from desktop's network connection window, I...

Virtual PC 6, Explorer wont go online
I have done everything I can think of to get IE to work in VPC and am at the end of my wits. If anyone could be so kind as to walk me through a setup checklist to get the VPC to go online I would be very grateful. In return, if anyone needs help with privacy software (PGP), or NYM accounts, I will teach you how thanks Jonathan 1gig Tibook with OSX .6 VPC 6 (I had it working, but after a crash and reinstall, including the whole Win 98 install again, I just cant get the internet connection to connect on the VPC side) On 28 Jul 2003 07:24:52 -0700, Jonathan@zworg.com (Jonathan) wrote: >...

SHaring wireless Mac & PC internet connection
Hi All, I have a friend who has a G4 PowerMac and recently bought a wireless (Extreme) card for it so he could share his internet connection with a PC laptop for his children. He bought a wireless PCMCIA card for the PC laptop and it apparently works ok under Windows 2000. He currently has Telstra Bigpond ADSL connected to his G4. He has enables sharing from his ethernet connection to this airport connection on his G4. His laptop "sees" the wireless connection but it doesn't seem to be getting an IP address from the G4 and hence won't allow him to conn...

problem installing 6.1 on virtual PC 2004
I choose minial installation, NAT, uncheck Attach CD. I have the ISO on my desktop and throw it on the CD picture of the virtual pc which is where ist read it to install to this point so I know that is working. it writes holographic and then I get this error message: "Cannot parse information file for the base distribution: I/O error Please verify that your media is valid and try again." Any ideas or experience installing it on virtual PC 2004? Thanks for any help. ...

help getting VPC 6 to connect to internet please
I have done everything I can think of to get IE to work in VPC and am at the end of my wits. If anyone could be so kind as to walk me through a setup checklist to get the VPC to go online I would be very grateful. In return, if anyone needs help with privacy software (PGP), or NYM accounts, I will teach you how thanks Jonathan 1gig Tibook with OSX .6 VPC 6 (I had it working, but after a crash and reinstall, including the whole Win 98 install again, I just cant get the internet connection to connect on the VPC side) ...

g3 wont connect to the Internet after upgrade to 8.6
From another thread I have discovered that in order to get my system to see the scsi CD drive, I have to download a 'patch" I had working internet access which I used easily. Suddenly my computer won't connect to the internet, telling me that I havent got Remote Access Version 3.0. I cant connect to the internet at all now because I get the error message "the internet setup assistant could not be found becasue 'internet access' could not be found" All I have done is to upgrade from 8.2 (or 8.5) to 8.6, - I thought succesfully? Seems nothing works on and noth...

upgrade from 6.0 to 6.1.1 quits without updating the application (Mac OS X)
I'm trying to upgrade to 6.1.1. However, the installer quits after installing 10-15 of 70 items, and says it was successful, but it doesn't actually update the application. I'm on Mac OS X 10.3.4, and have repaired permissions, and also tried running the update as root - still doesn't work. Has anyone encountered this problem, and found a fix? The only thing I can think of at this point is to do a clean install of 6.1.1, and move any old files over. And, I can't contact their tech support, because my registration isn't current, even though I'm planni...

Connect Palm to PC internet connection
Does anyone know a free way to connect a Palm device to a PC's internet connection? So that I could read a web page on my Palm device? There is software called Softick PPP that is supposed to do this, but it is not free. My PC doesn't have Bluetooth and I don't have WiFi. This http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~echobase/network/win2k/images.html article is interesting, but I have a laptop and when I try to setup a "null modem" connection, I find out that I have NO COM ports. I wonder if this is possible with USB. "Mike" <mikeotown@nospam.msn.com> wrote in message news:B78tc.9641$ZM1.9187@bignews6.bellsouth.net... > Does anyone know a free way to connect a Palm device to a PC's internet > connection? So that I could read a web page on my Palm device? There is > software called Softick PPP that is supposed to do this, but it is not free. > My PC doesn't have Bluetooth and I don't have WiFi. > > There are USB->Serial converters that will turn a perfectly good USB port into a serial COM port. :) There are also products that will synch web pages to the Palm so that you can read them "offline" and therefore you wouldn't be tethered to your PC by a cable. Since you don't have wireless capability I am curious as to why you would want to do this? The combination of a small screen and Palm browser SW does not make for the best web surfing experience. Since you essentially will be tied ...

Help needed in connecting mac on router with other pc's
I'm having trouble getting access to the internet through the router. I am getting a valid IP address from the router (airlink101?) But it won't allow me to access the web. I can login to the router's system utility (198.168.1.1). The status reports that the router is not getting an ip address from the ISP. So naturally, I'm thinking that the problem is with the WAN. But then something interesting was happening. Other computers, (there are five other machines running either windows xp or vista) who are all tied into the same router via switch, are able to access the internet just fine! (including this machine that I'm using to write this post.) I couldn't believe it. I checked their cables and they were all leading to the same router. The computers are all set for DHCP. Here's the part that I really don't get. On the pc's... their gateway address is 198.168.1.254 ???? Yet, I can't access 198.168.1.254 through the browser. I don't get it. Anyway. I'm thinking it's a PC setup vs MAC setup because all the pc's are working fine but my mac and my airport express (when connected as a bridge) are not working. Any advice? In article <63a83310-4330-4db7-bfdb-3d8a6ff4e028@v13g2000pro.googlegroups.com>, h.paulcho@gmail.com wrote: > I'm having trouble getting access to the internet through the router. > > I am getting a valid IP address from the router (airlink101?) > But it won't allow me ...

1 internet connection with 2 subnets on 2 routers... HELP
I currently have one large LAN with about 20 computers connected. All the computers are running Windows XP Home, a few have Windows XP Pro. The LAN#1 is essential office computers that are used daily. LAN#2 has more computers but they are publicly accessed. We want to increase our security for LAN#1 so we want to add two routers to isolate each of these network segments into two subnets. Below is a link to a diagram showing our current network. http://www.waplesumc.org/misc/original.jpg At present our LAN is unsecure since the proposed LAN#2 may have all types o...

D-Link DI-604 Help me connect pc and mac.
I have 2 machines , Imac running OSX Panther. Win XP Pro. Both are connected to the Router. Both machines are successfully able to access the internet. The Pc can access the mac only via ftp. I have no idea what I am doing wrong, but that is the only way i can connect to the mac. The mac cannot connect to the pc in any way shape or form. When on the XP machine, i can ping the router (192.168.0.1) and I can ping the mac (192.168.0.101). On the mac, i can ping the router but not the pc. The pc has DHCP enabled because that is what i was told to do. I though about assigning it 1...

Individual internet connection from PC via mac network (Airport / G4)
Hallo all , We have a network set up at home comprising the Apple Airport Extreme Base station (with modem) / G4 Mac / and PC WinME with a US Robotics Wireless Card. The PC was configured to join the netwerk built up by the airport and G4 Mac. As long as the Airport was set to automatic dialing at the G4 Mac, the PC WinME with WC had no problems to connect to the internet. Based on our home set up we had to change the set up for individual connecting at the G4 Mac. As a result I cannot access the internet anymore with the PC. Since the PC does not see the Airport , I tried via Microsoft VPN Adapter to access the internet, but I failed. I am running out of ideas what I could do and I would like to ask for some help. Thanks in advance Dietmar ...

Web resources about - Virtual PC 6.1 wont connect to Internet. HELP! - comp.sys.mac.comm

Internet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Internet is a global system of interconnected computer networks that use the standard Internet protocol suite (TCP/IP) to link several billion ...

Internet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Internet is a global system of interconnected computer networks that use the standard Internet protocol suite (TCP/IP) to link several billion ...

Internet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... government networks of local to global scope, linked by a broad array of electronic, wireless, and optical networking technologies. The Internet ...

Internets - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
" Internets ", also known as " The Internets ", is a Bushism -turned- catchphrase used humorously to portray the speaker as ignorant about the ...

Internet Evolution - The Macrosite for News, Analysis, and Opinion about the Future of the Internet
The next big leap forward in the history of the Internet is happening now: Internet Evolution (www.internetevolution.com) is a Web 2.0 online ...

How manufacturers can improve the security of Internet of Things devices
The security of the Internet of Things is fundamentally broken. Developers and manufacturers understandably are eager to get their new hi-tech ...

Some Kindles will no longer connect to the Internet if they aren’t updated by Tuesday
Have a Kindle from 2012 or earlier? It's about to go offline for good if you don't update it. Over the past several days, Amazon has been sending ...

Which One is the Fake Internet Voting Site for Tonight's Utah GOP 'Online Caucus'?
I spoke earlier on today's BradCast , in some detail, about the idiocy of the Utah Republican Party deciding to use an easily-hacked Internet ...

Google just opened an internet store in Cuba
As the US eases tensions with Cuba, Google has become one of the first American companies with a physical presence. Produced by Matt Stuart. ...

Tom Hiddleston resolves to ‘stay off the Internet’ while his butt is trending
... part of the fabric of America.” His ‘Night Manager’ butt trending on Twitter: “How do I handle that? With a resolution to stay off the Internet ...