Integrating my OS X system into my Linux network for happy iTunes use

I want (eventually) to keep the bulk of my music on my ex-desktop, which
has tons of space.  However, I want to keep some of it (that may
overlap, and will *certainly* change from time to time) on my laptop.
I've found an applescript that will allow me to switch libraries in
iTunes, which I think is the right choice for that aspect of things.

What I'm more interested in is how to set OS X up to A) detect that it
is in my local network, and if so, B) automatically mount an NFS share
exported from my server box.  I'm gathering that it probably has
something to do with rendezvous, but beyond that I'm not too sure.

Has anyone else got experience with this?

--
Chris
0

Hi. Someone told me that Mac OS X 10.7.x and 10.8.x do not come with iLife like the older Mac OS X versions (e.g., 10.5.x). I did not know this! Since my client uses iPhoto that came preinstalled on his old 2008 MacBook Pro's Mac OS X 10.5.x (10.5.8 right now), can he use the old one from 10.5.8? Or will he need a third party replacement (needs to import/copy the old image files) or buy a new iPhoto version for his photo(graph)s? I recalled he did not like iPhoto and wonder if the new one is any better. Thank you in advance. :) -- Quote of the Week: "Every ruler...

[ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.13 (v13) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8)
Dear All, I've just released the newest version of Mac Graphviz, featuring shapefile support and enhanced zoom. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ Shapefiles supported include PDF, EPS, PS, JPEG, PNG and all Quicktime formats. Either specify an absolute or relative (to working directory) file path, or a URL using the shapefile attribute. Developers can now also use the graphviz.framework directly with #include headers in C e.g. using Xcode "Add Frameworks..."; documentation is available from the main Graphviz site -- http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/graphviz/libguide.pdf...

Hi all, Yet another Graphviz version. The old application icon had been voted off the island, and brand new application and document icons flown in for the task. Comprehensive help features in this version too. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ What's new: ------------ Added new application and document icons. Added comprehensive help. Fixed changes not affecting graph size displaying incorrectly [BTr]. Fixed export then close crashing the export of an open window. Improved shadowed frame for graph [NRi]. Improved status display [NRi]. Changed sources to pure BSD license. Cheers, Gl...

[ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8)
Hi all, It's been a busy week or two at Pixelglow Software. Here's a brand new version of Graphviz, all spit and polish now. You'll enjoy the integrated color and font panel support, hand cursor panning and remembered settings. And everyone's most asked for -- a single click on the Edit tool will now bring up the DOT code for you to edit, and of course when you save it the graph automatically re-renders. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/download/ Here's the lowdown: Added edit, render and stop toolbar items [PCh]. Added integrated font and color fields and panels. Adde...

Dear All: Them pesky bugs. A few more squashed courtesy of the sleepy pixel. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ What's new in v11 ------------ Fixed some comprehensive help [NRi]. Fixed scale option placeholder [NRi]. Improved application and document icons. Example files now double-click to open in application. What's new in v12 ------------ Added layout option tooltips [NRi]. Fixed layout popup button changing wrong graph [MKe]. Clicking on warning icon now opens Activity window [NRi, AM]. Revert menu item now disabled. Cheers, Glen Low --- pixelglow software | simply brillian...

Recent Articles,, * Amazon offering Mac OS X Snow Leopard Family Pack for $36.49, * Apple Releases Mac OS X 10.6.1, the first update to the Snow Leopard operating system, * Gartner: Exchange
http://switchtoamac.com/site/survey-indicates-that-50-of-us-it-pros-are-considering-abandoning-windows-likely-to-switch-to-apples-mac-os-x.html http://tinyurl.com/ybrbgek A June 12, 2009 CNNMoney.com article titled 'Can Windows 7 save PCs?", David Goldman writes about Microsoft's upcoming Windows 7 operating system. The article discusses the PC slump and highlights a March survey conducted by Dimension Research that indicates that 50% of respondents are likely to dump Windows in favor of Apple's Mac OS X operating system. Noteworthy quotes form the article ...

How to use clipboard in Linux or Mac Os X
I'd like to create a button "copy to clipboard" in a Matlab application to save the screenshot of the current window. How can i do it? ...

Mac OS X to use Linux Kernel?
I read following news, can anyone verify this? Does this mean that x86 user can install os/x on my x86 hardware? Microsoft always copy Apple/Mac, I wonder if they will be copying Linux kernel. http://www.linux.org/news/LO2007/mac_kernel.html Next Version of Mac OS X to use Linux Kernel by Winona Foryears, Computer Purchaser News April 1, 2007 Apple Inc. CEO Steve Jobs announced on Friday that the next version of Mac OS X, named 'Margay' will use the Linux kernel. At a press conference at the famous Apple Store on Fifth Avenue in New York, Jobs told reporters that the change marke...

Problem with Helvetica font on Mac OS X/Mac OS 9 System
I'm working with a Mac which has Mac OS X and Mac OS 9.2 running on top of the X. I use MS Word and Pagemaker and there's a problem with helvetica italic not displaying consistently. I mean, without any intervention, some days it's visible, other days it's not. I thought maybe it was due to not having the font file, but it seems we do have it. I don't know if this is related, but Adobe Type Manager has also popped up lately complaining about not having enough cache memory. I looked at the setting and it was 2MB already, but increased it to 3 MB yesterday. It seems to have...

PDF to EPS workarounds for Mac OS X Attention TeXy, TeXy peoples: PDF to EPS workarounds for Mac OS X Attention TeXy, TeXy peoples: PDF to EPS workarounds for Mac OS X Attention TeXy, TeXy
Attention TeXy, TeXy peoples: (excuse the mispronunciation; punny licence) It seems that Mac OS X has partially documented issues (http://altair.ific.uv.es/~JaxoDraw/Bugparade/bugparade.htm, http://developer.apple.com/java/faq/issues.html#anchor6) with the generation of EPS, and I'm trying to find a workaround. The Preview application cannot export to eps, but it can read it (converting it to PDF). If I use Adobe Acrobat to read the PDF generated by Preview, the EPS it generates sometimes (inconsistently) causes dvips to make an unreadable file. What I'm trying to do is the followi...

Why Linux is Easier to Use than Mac OS X or Windows
http://neosmart.net/blog/?p=119 In a nutshell: * Easier to Get: It?s Free! * Regular "Full" Releases * More Hardware Compatible * KDE * Unified Installation Database * True Out-of-Box Experience * Easier to Customize * Huge Support Community * Installing Apps * There is a Distro for Everything __/ [ Sandman ] on Sunday 26 March 2006 20:15 \__ > In article <e06knk$15kd$1@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk>, > Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote: > >> * Easier to Get: It's Free! > > Actually, it's easier for the end user to buy a Mac and tu...

Mac OS X & Mac OS X Server
Hi, I'm currently using a 9i developer release on Mac OS X (10.3) which has proved very stable so far. My understanding of the various Oracle press releases is that 10G will be released for Mac OS X, are there any beta testers out there wiling to comment on availabilitu/quality/performance issues for 10G on Mac OS X? Another question is whether tools such as the OEM will be available in 10G for Mac OS X, does anybody know? Yours in anticipation! Steve Steve <steve@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<2004013008345616807%steve@nospamcom>... > releases is that 10G wil...

Mac OS 9.x included in Mac OS X?
Hi, I read that Mac OS X has a so-called classic mode which emulates Mac OS 9.x so that older applications can still be run. Provided one is not an upgrader from Mac OS 9.x, does Mac OS X include Mac OS 9.x required for the classic mode or does it have to be bought separately? Peter >Provided one is not an upgrader from Mac OS 9.x, does Mac OS X include >Mac OS 9.x required for the classic mode or does it have to be bought >separately? If you buy the installer for OS X it *does not* include OS 9. You generally use the copy of OS 9 that came with your computer in order to install C...

Your Mac won't start up in Mac OS X (Mac OS X 10.3.9 or earlier)
Your Mac won't start up in Mac OS X (Mac OS X 10.3.9 or earlier) Nothing can be more frustrating than turning on your Mac only to find that it won't start up. Instead of seeing the Finder, you see a blue or gray screen, an icon of a broken folder, a kernel panic, a flashing question mark, or a computer that just sits there. What can you do? Don't worry. It could be a simple issue that you can fix yourself. Note: This article applies to Mac OS X 10.3.9 or earlier. Tip: If your computer won't start at all, skip to "You see a blank, gray screen" below. The first step ...

Moving all iTunes' music to another Mac OS X account on the same system?
Hello. I accidently have all the songs under the wrong account in Mac OS X 10.5.5 because I copied all songs from an old iPod Nano to a new MacBook Pro's HDD and a clean iTunes with Senuti program. How can I move them to the other account on the HDD? Even as an administrator, I cannot access the account I want to move to in Finder. I see the "access denied" folders with their red sold circle with thick white horizontal lines and borders. Accessing Music folder showed "The folder 'Music' could not be opened because you do not have sufficient access privileges...

[News] GNU/Linux Runs DOS Programs Well, Integrates with Mac OS X

You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume. Mac OS X cannot start up from this volume.
Hi Group, Decided to reinstall OSX today on my MAC Book. _ Boy was this a mistake_ I booted off the DVD and changed the partition setup to two instead of one using the disk utility program. Selected MAC OSX Extended Journaled for both paritions. Now in the installer when I come to select the drive to install on I get the message "You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume. Mac OS X cannot start up from this volume." There is a red explaination mark on the drive. I have reboot, reformatted the drive back one parition using the disk util program and I still have the same proble...

Create a backup of your Raspberry Pi SD card using Windows, Mac OS X, Linux and restore when you need
As already know there are many situations you can corrupt the file system of the SD card which makes it hard and ruin all the hours of work you have dedicated to your project. After you read this guide you will stop re-installing everything over and over again. continue... http://www.awesomeprojects.xyz/2015/08/create-backup-of-your-raspberry-pi-sd.html -- www.alt119.net .... On Fri, 04 Sep 2015 14:44:32 -0300 Eduardo M. <internetado@alt119.net.invalid> wrote: > As already know there are many situations you can corrupt the file > system of the SD ca...

X forwarding from from a Mac OS X to SuSE Linux
Hi, I'm running a SuSE Linux box at home, and my girlfriend has a Mac runing OS X at her house. I'd like to xhost into my machine from hers and run something. For example: $ ssh -X susebox $ emacs & and have emacs open graphically. I've done it a million times from Linux to Linux, and even from Windows to Linux, using Cygwin's excellent X-server. I got sshd working on her machine, but now I'm stuck. What should I do? Are there some X configuration files I need to check to make sure Mac's X-server is even listening for connections? Is Mac OS X even running an...

Mac OS X Kerberos Extras updated for Mac OS X 10.3

Mac OS X 1.0 x86 and Mac OS X 10.4 x86
I wonder of OS X on Intel runs binaries made for Mac OS X Server 1.0 or earlier x86 versions of NEXTSTEP... There should be some interesting error messages to find. I'll try it out with OmniWeb 3 one day... -- Andrew J. Brehm Marx Brothers Fan PowerPC/Macintosh User Supporter of Chicken Sandwiches In article <1gxrpng.qcld42zk38uoN%ajbrehm@gmail.com>, ajbrehm@gmail.com (Andrew J. Brehm) wrote: > I wonder of OS X on Intel runs binaries made for Mac OS X Server 1.0 or > earlier x86 versions of NEXTSTEP... > > There should be some interesting error messages to find. &...

FS: Mac OS X v10.2 and Mac OS X v10.3 (Panther)
clearing up my storeroom. we have moved to tiger. OS10.2 are the original two cds from apple OS10.3 (Panther) are the original three cds from apple. prices: best offer -- getting out of bed in the morning is an act of false confidence - jules feifer to email me, delete syzygy. from my return address ...

Web resources about - Integrating my OS X system into my Linux network for happy iTunes use - comp.sys.mac.general

Integrating Github and Redmine
I've been a fan and user of Atlassian's excellent Jira since the company was founded back in 2002, but I needed the ability to set up some quick-hit ...

Integrating sphere - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
An Integrating sphere (also known as an Ulbricht sphere) is an optical component consisting of a hollow spherical cavity with its interior covered ...

Omega, BMW Take Gold, Silver For Integrating Facebook Into London 2012 Olympics Sponsorships
... Olympic Games in London set to start July 27 and run through Aug. 12, watch maker Omega and automaker BMW are doing the best jobs at integrating ...

Under the Hood: Integrating standalone mobile app features into Facebook for iOS - Facebook
Facebook Engineering hat eine Notiz mit dem Titel Under the Hood: Integrating standalone mobile app features into Facebook for iOS geschrieben. ...

Overview: Integrating Facebook Connect With Your Website
Last week at Facebook’s f8 developer conference, CEO Mark Zuckerberg formally announced Facebook Connect , Facebook’s new program that extends ...

Integrating MFDs with Cloud Fax Services Webinar - eFax Corporate® - YouTube
http://enterprise.efax.com - Corporate users may think that they don’t need fax within their organization because they simply scan a paper document ...

Children integrating technology into study and play as computer use rises
Children integrating technology into study and play as computer use rises

Cisco Systems, Inc. : New Cisco Unified Access Solution Accelerates BYOD Business Innovation by Integrating ...
Cisco Unified Access Makes IT More Responsive to the Business, Simplifying IT Operations by Uniting Wired and Wireless Networks, Policy and Management ...

Uber introduces API for integrating the transportation service into other apps
... app on iPhone and Android, and check out the Uber care package the company sends new employees. Today Uber is taking a major step toward integrating ...

The Aspiring Lateral: Integrating Yourself
Because the lateral journey does not end when you place the potted plant and picture of your family on your new desk. Continue reading » Follow ...