64MB Radeon 8500 - only 32MB per monitor?

I have an ATI Radeon 8500 that thinks I have two monitors attached,
but I don't.  According to the System Profile, it has allocated 32MB
of RAM to each monitor.  For 2D, that doesn't matter.  However, I am
concerned that when I play an OpenGL game, that the game will think I
only have 32MB of video RAM.

Someone told me that once the game switches to OpenGL mode, all 64MB
of memory is allocated to the primary monitor.  Is this true?
comp.sys.mac.graphics 482 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

In article <53bb806a.0308011337.1c9413f1@posting.google.com>, Timur
Tabi <nospam_timur@tabi.org> wrote:

> I have an ATI Radeon 8500 that thinks I have two monitors attached,
> but I don't.  According to the System Profile, it has allocated 32MB
> of RAM to each monitor.  For 2D, that doesn't matter.  However, I am
> concerned that when I play an OpenGL game, that the game will think I
> only have 32MB of video RAM.
>
> Someone told me that once the game switches to OpenGL mode, all 64MB
> of memory is allocated to the primary monitor.  Is this true?

It depends upon the OS version, the driver version, and the current bug
situation, but in general, the answer is "yes".

When you're running the Mac as normal, with the desktop and
applications, there are buffers created for each display. However, when
you enter a game, and as is usual, enter a fullscreen  play mode, and
OpenGl context ("world") is created that supports the display and
display mode of choice. If you picked display 1, at 1200x1000, the
driver will configure the card and set up buffers to support that
monitor at that depth. The other display is essentially ignored unless
you leave that fullscreen mode.

The context will set up whatever memory that was requested by the
appication. For example, you will normally have two full 32-bit buffers
("front" and "back") that the game draws into. [In fullscreen mode, the
driver draws into one buffer, and then displys it. While that's being
displayed, it draws into the other buffer.] In addition, it will
probably create a "depth buffer" (8 or 32 bits), and possibly a stencil
buffer (24 bits or more). There may be a small buffer used for
compression and decompression of some types of data.  The front and
back buffers could be oversized by a factor of 2 or 4 if you use
fullscreen antialiasing. There are a number of less-popular options
that some games use as well: stereo, auto, and so on.

However in general, all of the rest of the memory will be used for
geometry (which is small) and textures (which are really big).

This will give you some idea of why you need a lot of VRAM to use games
at high res, or with very detailed textures, or FSAA. It really sucks
up the memory.
0
Forget (19)

FA: ATI Radeon 8500/Mac
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8747558286 ...

Radeon 8500 graphics corruption problem
Hi, I am using Radeon 8500 card. I am getting corrupt image of the previous screen while running pengl application. How to fix it? Anybody any idea? -Gary "gary" <s.kulkarni@mailcity.com> wrote in message news:NzbCb.10592$dB.3083@news.cpqcorp.net... > Hi, > > I am using Radeon 8500 card. I am getting corrupt image of the previous > screen while running pengl application. How to fix it? Anybody any idea? > > -Gary Try newer drivers.. (3.9).. If it not help's try to adjust some opengl settings in driver. If it still don't work, try to find a pat...

Blurry Radeon 8500 + Dell m991 monitors
hi, i just reinstalled windows xp and hooked up my dual monitors. I took my dell m991 out of my basement and plugged it in, and i see that when i open anything on my screen the right edge of the is blurry, unless something beside the desktop is fuzzy\ blurry if for example on my aim buddy list the 1st character in any screen name is fuzzy, but if there is an away icon then nothing is fuzzy and if i have another window open over the whole screen then nothing is fuzzy, and on the other screen like this ever happens thing happens just an aside i see if i go to the screen menu and select adjust ...

Blurry Radeon 8500 + Dell m991 monitors
hi, i just reinstalled windows xp and hooked up my dual monitors. I took my dell m991 out of my basement and plugged it in, and i see that when i open anything on my screen the right edge of the is blurry, unless something beside the desktop is fuzzy\ blurry if for example on my aim buddy list the 1st character in any screen name is fuzzy, but if there is an away icon then nothing is fuzzy and if i have another window open over the whole screen then nothing is fuzzy, and on the other screen like this ever happens thing happens just an aside i see if i go to the screen menu and select adjust ...

Radeon 8500 Mac Drivers and Ghosting / Color Problems
I am having a weird ghosting/color problem with the Oct 2004 rom update. Gradients look especially bad. has anyone else had this problem? Know of any solutions? Also, I was looking to revert back to older rom versions and can't find a place to download them. Anyone have a copy? Thanks in advance Adam ...

Radeon 8500 Mac Drivers and Ghosting / Color Problems #2
I am having a weird ghosting/color problem with the Oct 2004 rom update. Gradients look especially bad. has anyone else had this problem? Know of any solutions? Also, I was looking to revert back to older rom versions and can't find a place to download them. Anyone have a copy? Thanks in advance Adam ...

Dual monitor support using ATI Radeon 32mb Card
I am trying to install dual monitor support on my Mirrored-Door G4 Mac. I installed an additional ATI Radeon 32mb pci card and i do not get a display. Any ideas? In article <b2789d40-47df-4dc3-bf6a-c86116fa8e7c@m36g2000hse.googlegroups.com>, RoadRunner <andrewshaffer1@gmail.com> wrote: > I am trying to install dual monitor support on my Mirrored-Door G4 > Mac. I installed an additional ATI Radeon 32mb pci card and i do not > get a display. Any ideas? Is the card Mac specific or is it a PC card? Greg B. -- Actual e-mail address is gregbuchner and I&#...

HDs for graphics
Here's my scenario... can't afford to, can't afford not to. I've been working without a net for way too long and it's catching up to me. My only backup has been zips and they have proven inadequate and too costly. It seems that any technical knowledge I once had has either become out-dated or has been forgotten:( Problems that have been occurring: Not enough memory messages, not enough disk space messages, programs quitting, not a lot of freezing surprisingly. And, in high-res in Photoshop or Illustrator with raster images.... crawling-apply-a-brush-stroke-and-go-to-lunch SLOWWWWW. I know it was a lack of space and/or virtual memory that prevented a program from being able to print to file. There was enough space for the file, but I don't think the print monitor (or whatever) had the space/memory to finish the job. When I made enough space on my system partition I was able to output low-res for distiller finally, but still can't output high-res (this was a large graphics file). Working with virtual memory on doesn't seem to help, and sometimes seems to hurt. I allocated more memory to Photoshop and Illustrator to help speed them up, but this only served to reduce my scratch disk space and I still got "not enough memory" errors. I have a G4 Yikes, 350 MHz, 832MB ram, w/10GB Quantum hard drive. I am WAY over partitioned (5). First, should I replace the original or add a second hard drive? My concern is the age of the original (1999...

Mac-mini with old Mac monitors?
Hello, I am thinking of getting a Mac mini (Intel) for my kids to use making movies and recording audio (plus MIDI from their keyboard). But, I have some questions since is has been many years since I've been in the Mac world: 1. I have an old 20" Apple multiscan monitor. Any chance I can get it to work on the mini? 2. How sophisticated is iMovie? Can you add subtitles? Multiple audio tracks blended together (ie, dialog and music)? 3. I'm assuming that the Firewire port is the sort that most digital camcorders use? 4. Is 512MB good enough for iMovie (the main app they wil...

Wattage data for graphic cards. Would ATI Radeon All-in-wonder 8500 or 7500 work with 230W PSU?
Hi! Do you know where I can find wattage data for various graphic cards? I'd like to calculate whether ati radeon all in wonder 8500 or 7500 would work in a case with 230W Power Supply Unit. a. ati wrote: > Hi! > > Do you know where I can find wattage data for various graphic cards? > I'd like to calculate whether ati radeon all in wonder 8500 or 7500 would work > in a case with 230W Power Supply Unit. > > a. Your question can't be answered because you mentioned nothing about the rest of the hardware on your computer. With that being said, this website m...

Wattage date for graphic cards. Would ati radeon all-in-wonder 8500 or 7500 work in 230W PSU?
[...]

2nd hand Nvidia Geforce 6600 Graphics Upgrade Kit or Ati Radeon 9600 PRO PC & Mac Edition
Looking for 2nd hand Nvidia Geforce 6600 Graphics Upgrade Kit or Ati Radeon 9600 PRO PC & Mac Edition. Our desktop is a Power Mac Dual G5 A1047 using current damaged card to display via the DVi to ADC to a 23" Apple HD Cinema display. It's a replacement for a faulty board that has a fried ADC connection that I feel will one day reach its end of days. PS: Please note the G5 Power Mac requirements County: Meath Keywords: Power Mac G5 AGP PC-X bus ati nvidia FX 5200 6600 6800 7300 7600 7800 Cards ...

2nd hand Nvidia Geforce 6600 Graphics Upgrade Kit or Ati Radeon 9600 PRO PC & Mac Edition.
Looking for: 2nd hand Nvidia Geforce 6600 Graphics Upgrade Kit or Ati Radeon 9600 PRO PC & Mac Edition. Our desktop is a Power Mac Dual G5 A1047 using current damaged card to display via a DVi to ADC convertor to a 23" Apple HD Cinema display. It's a replacement for a faulty board that has a fried ADC connection, & I think the card may one day reach its end of days. Thanks PS: Please note the G5 Power Mac requirements County: Meath Keywords: Power Mac G5 AGP PC-X bus ati nvidia FX 5200 6600 6800 7300 7600 7800 Cards ...

Mac Login Monitoring
Was wondering if anyone might know the answer to this. In the windows world you can look at event viewer to see logins and such on a machine which will also give you date and time stamps. You can also look at the user profiles on the machine on the C drive to see who has logged in. In Mac, how would you see the login history on a particular machine? (OSX that is...) Also... Is it possible to do it remotely from a PC? TeamKaeru <TeamKaeru@gmail.com> writes: > In the windows world you can look at event viewer to see logins and > In Mac, how would you see the login history on a ...

To Mac or not to Mac?

Graphics Monitors
Can somebody point me to a good source to compare graphics monitors. .. Or maybe there are some good sugestions for reasonably priced displays. I am getting really frustrated trying to balance my LCD monitor colors with printer output. David David Vincent-Jones wrote: > Can somebody point me to a good source to compare graphics monitors. .. Or > maybe there are some good sugestions for reasonably priced displays. > I am getting really frustrated trying to balance my LCD monitor colors with > printer output. > > David > > Ah. LCD's are notorious for bein...

sys .mac
Dear Friend, I have found some websites: for msn messenger, http://www.hotmailpk.com/ For entertainment,spotlight.articles,interviews,dailyupdate htttp://www.familyandtwist.com/ for sms messeges, smsjokes, http://www.smstwist.com/ for articles,entertainment,beauty tips,news,showbiz and fashion http://http://www.familypk.com Visit these websites: Thanks ...

Mac as a monitor
Hey all! I'm changing my living situation, and was curious about using either a 24" Silver iMac, or a 20" Apple Cinema Display as a TV. Has anyone had any experience with this, and can you make any recommendations for methods of doing so? I am NOT a tv enthusiast. My point is not to have a HD picture. I simply want to be able to watch basic cable without having to buy a TV or other device to take up more room. Thanks! In article <47dd2d4c-1974-44e3-864c-555020624307@g30g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>, Angry Moth Town <bigdave.smith@gmail.com> wrote: > Hey all!...

Monitors for Macs
Hello, Can I use a non-Apple display with a Mac Pro? Thanks for any advice, WJ In article <132n4bt2t9cd6a@corp.supernews.com>, wjyoung <wjyoung@nospam.net> wrote: > Hello, > > Can I use a non-Apple display with a Mac Pro? absolutely, and apple displays can be used with windows computers. ...

Mac Monitors
20" ties for sixth out of 26 Costs 20% more than the next most expensive. Cost twice as much as the top rated five. Who says mac hardware is shit? Consumer Reports - June 06 On 2006-05-11 06:13:54 -0700, "zara" <zspook@aol.com> said: > 20" ties for sixth out of 26 > Costs 20% more than the next most expensive. > Cost twice as much as the top rated five. > Who says mac hardware is shit? > > Consumer Reports - June 06 Why is it so hard to grasp that people who by Apple products purchase them because THEY LIKE THEM. Plain and simple. No matter ...

mac monitor
i have a monitor from a mac computer and want to use it on my pc but the plug wont fit in my pci graphic card were can i get a adaptor t make it work on my pc thank yo -- db243giz ...

Web resources about - 64MB Radeon 8500 - only 32MB per monitor? - comp.sys.mac.graphics

The Christian Science Monitor - CSMonitor.com
The Christian Science Monitor is an international news organization that delivers thoughtful, global coverage via its website, weekly magazine, ...

The Monitor
2009 Kia Rio. 43k. 4dr. New tires, like new, w

File:Monitor padlock.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License , Version 1.2 or ...

FreeSync-over-HDMI: Samsung Launches 1800R Curved FHD Monitors in the CF591 and CF390
... rate technology through HDMI rather than via the more traditional method, DisplayPort. At the time, the demo seemed limited to a single monitor ...

New DisplayPort 1.4 standard can drive 8K monitors over a USB Type-C cable
(credit: VESA) Today, most new computers with DisplayPort or USB Type-C connectors support the DisplayPort 1.2 standard, which provides enough ...

Log PC activity in real time with Event Monitor Service
Security vendor NoVirusThanks has released Event Monitor Service (EMSvc), a Windows application which logs key system events in real time. The ...

This engineer replaced his 4 monitors with Meta glasses — and it might be the future of work
Business Insider This engineer replaced his 4 monitors with Meta glasses — and it might be the future of work Business Insider There's been ...

Black Knight January Mortgage Monitor
Black Knight Financial Services (BKFS) released their Mortgage Monitor report for January today. According to BKFS, 5.09% of mortgages were delinquent ...

New Monitor Lizard the Top Predator on Remote Island
A partly volcanic stretch in Papua New Guinea’s St. Matthias chain, has been harboring for up to 2 million years a previously unknown species. ...

World's first 'active' sleep monitor keeps tabs on brain waves
Neurotechnology company Rythm launched both itself and its first product on Thursday, called the Dreem. The Dreem is a wearable device laden ...