Design Master Class is BACK!

Hello FileMaker Developers!

The Design Master Class is back=97and nearly half the seats are filled
already. Contact us today to reserve your place!

This summer's Design Master Class follows the FileMaker DevCon on the
weekend of July 20th, 2012. We'll follow a "Late Night" format that
shifts work sessions into the evening, leaving two daytime slots for
class tours of inspiring design examples in Miami. In addition, the
Master Class will convene remotely for one online session early in
July, before everyone meets in Miami.

---

Live and breathe the principles of good design at SmallCo's FileMaker
Design Master Class, inside the famed Harum-Alvarez home, built using
the very same principles* that Albert uses to design software. The
Green House was laid out with the Master Class in mind, with a
spacious Great Room for meeting and private spots to curl up for
individual work, including sun rooms, window seats, porches, terraces,
worksites by the swimming hole and even a hammock strung between
towering trees on the wooded park-like site.

At the Master Class, the curriculum is your own work. Experienced
FileMaker developers bring a FileMaker solution--your Master Piece--
and advance that solution over three days onsite. Renowned design guru
Albert Harum-Alvarez pushes, prods, cajoles, leads by example and
finally convinces you and your peers to transform your applications in
ways you hadn't imagined, all for the benefit of your clients and your
business' bottom line. NOTE: admission to the Master Class is by
interview, to experienced developers only.

*See the works by Christopher Alexander and Stewart Brand at:
http://smallco.wordpress.com/bibliography

MOON OVER MIAMI: FileMaker Design Master Class at SmallCo's Jungle
Branch
March 10-12 (initial 90-minute web conference on Monday, March 8)

The Late Night Master Class at SmallCo's Jungle Branch office is once
again well-suited for teamwork. Bring a buddy and both receive a $200
discount. Bring a colleague working on the same master piece for half
price. Stay an extra day, and enjoy a Design Tour of Miami. For more
on the location of the class, visit:

http://web.me.com/smallco/Sites/Miami.html

Admission is open to advanced developers only. Please read on for
details.

---

"The Master Class was the best training class I ever took. It changed
my life!"
Dr. Florence Haseltine, The National Institutes of Health, Washington,
DC

"The Master Class hurt like a deep tissue massage. But I came back for
more."
Rob Russell, Sumware Consulting, Auckland, NZ

=91Beautiful presentations with very evocative images...Albert=92s
insights and metaphors are always a joy to listen to. His style,
though soft-spoken, encourages risk-taking.=91
John Stephenson, Harvard University

=91Thoroughly enjoyed the three days! From the very start the light
bulbs were popping on and I could see where improvements in our
designs could be easily made.=92
Doug Munich, FileMaker developer, Vancouver

=91The quality and content of the class was well thought out, and
presented in a stellar fashion. I would not hesitate to recommend the
class to other developers.=92
Andy Knasinski, NRG Software

=91One of the best learning experiences I=92ve had in a long time. I liked
working on REAL stuff and looking at other people=92s REAL stuff. I=92ve
moved to a whole new level.=92
Florence Ross, RN, Alberta

FileMaker Inc. has sent four of its own staff to the Master Class.
Maybe it's time you checked out the class yourself!

---

"Inspired Design at Inspiring Places"

SmallCo's Design Master Class is the Advanced Degree of the FileMaker
world. See more at:

http://smallco.net/classes

---

WHY TAKE THE MASTER CLASS?
Is it time for you to get away, so you can get some real work done?
You know how it goes: as long as you're near the phone, near the boss,
near that demanding client, you won't have the time or space to do the
kind of DEEP redesign that will truly benefit the people who depend
upon you. It's really in their best interests that you spend some time
away! (We're not kidding...)

For over a decade, SmallCo has given you the space to stretch out,
design-wise and otherwise, in the Master Class. Get away to Miami
Beach, Paris, India, The Hamptons or one of the dozen other Master
Class locations around the globe. We also host Design Retreats at your
convenience at select sites across the U.S.

WHO SHOULD ATTEND THE DESIGN MASTER CLASS?
If you need basic FileMaker training, this class is not for you. The
Master Class is a wide-ranging 'graduate-level' course for experienced
FileMaker developers who intend to take their work to the next level,
in terms of user experience, information architecture, prototyping and
coding.

Admission is by interview only. Attendees should be advanced
developers with a thorough grounding in relational design concepts and
at least three years of development experience. Two or three
developers from the same organization regularly attend, and there are
discounts available on tuition for team members.

The quality of your fellow students is one of the greatest benefits of
the Master Class. You'll be working with your peers: professional and
well-qualified FileMaker developers.

WHAT WILL THE CLASS COVER?
In the conservatory tradition, the Master Class focuses on the work
that students bring to the class: their 'master pieces.' The master
piece may be either a new project or a revision of an existing
application. Over the course of three days, students advance their
work using the design principles set forth by the instructor. At the
end of the last day, students present BEFORE & AFTER shots of their
work. The results are often quite stunning. and always surprising.

Students don't finish a redesign over the course of three days. The
momentum gained in the class starts a process that continues
afterwards for weeks, months or longer. Students report that the class
changes the way they think about design. For quotes from students,
visit http://smallco.net/classes.

WHAT ARE THE COSTS?
For the March in Miami class, tuition is $2450 US. Bring a buddy and
both receive a $200 discount. Bring a colleague working on the same
master piece for half price. Tuition must be received at least two
weeks prior to the class to reserve the seat.

WHO IS THE INSTRUCTOR?
Albert Harum-Alvarez is principal of SmallCo, one of the original
FileMaker Partners and a FileMaker Business Alliance Platinum Member.
Albert holds a Master Teacher degree from the University of Miami, as
well as a Music Bachelor's from Oberlin Conservatory. His teaching
experience includes seven FileMaker DevCons, as well as classroom
experience in venues ranging from college teaching to a two-year stint
as a substitute teacher in South Central Los Angeles. There is nothing
Albert loves more than creating the 'teachable moment' for interested
and engaged students. The Design Master Class is, in this sense, the
'perfect classroom.'

To apply for the class, please call:

Rosalyn Martir (305)582-2229
Coordinator
US & Canada: 877-66-small (877-667-6255) ext. 4
UK: +44 (0)20 7096 1325 ext. 4
International: +1 (305) 428-2434 ext. 4

WHO IS SMALLCO?
SmallCo is a design consultancy with offices in Miami, Orlando and New
York. SmallCo clients include Apple Inc., Fidelity Investments,
Harvard University, The New York Public Library, SFMOMA, Time Inc. and
other small and large companies in North America and Europe.
0
Rosalyn
4/26/2012 6:26:36 PM
comp.sys.mac.graphics 482 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

class.class = class
I understand that when you define a new class it´s an instance of Class... class Test end So you can treat "Test" as an object and asks its class : Test.class Class Is this Class itself an object ? Because when i do Class.class, ruby gives me 'Class' So is Class an instance of itself? I don´t understand the logic behind this :( Thanks -- Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/. Hi, Am Freitag, 17. Jul 2009, 20:54:26 +0900 schrieb Rubynewbie Rubynewbie: > I understand that when you define a new class it=C2=B4s an instance of > Class... >=20 > c...

Class, Class, where is the Class
Is there a reference somewhere which lists which classes are in which ..jar files? For instance, if I want to use HTTPServlet, which jar file is it in (I know where it is, just an example...)? All the API docs give the package name, but where is the package? TKS!! Wojtek Bok wrote: > All the API docs give the package name, but where is the package? Maybe this is what you search: JWhich http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/javatips/jw-javatip105.html --- Mario ...

Is .mac and back to my mac on topic?
If it is, I'll post a message about them. -- Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP. Michelle Steiner <michelle@michelle.org> wrote: > If it is, I'll post a message about them. LOL! Oh, and IMO, yes. -- <http://designsbymike.net/shop/mac.cgi> Mac and geek T-shirts & gifts <http://designsbymike.net/election.shtml> Election 2008 goods. <http://designsbymike.net/shop/prius.cgi> Prius shirts/bumper stickers <http://designsbymike.net/shop/greet.cgi> Holiday cards with attitude In article <1igqml2.90lqaz1h7auzpN%mikePOST@TOGROUPmacconsult.co...

Best Mac Software For Graphic Design & Art.
What is the best Mac Software available for graphic design & art? Maybe there are a number of them. I'm finding out that Corel Draw isn't available for Mac's anymore, but Corel Painter X still is. I'm looking for software to create cool icons, menus, logos, and widgets, and to just generally make beautiful art. Can anyone point me in the right direction? On Jun 26, 3:09 pm, CoreyWhite <CoreyWh...@gmail.com> wrote: > What is the best Mac Software available for graphic design & art? > Maybe there are a number of them. I'm finding out that Corel Draw ...

FA: 73 Graphic Design Disks for older Macs
These may be helpful for someone with older machines, 73 Disks Full of Graphic Design Software. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3095870595 Good until May 19th 2004 9:55pm PST ...

FileMaker Design Master Class this summer, right after DevCon!
Hello FileMaker Developers: The Design Master Class is back=97and nearly half the seats are filled already. Contact us today to reserve your place! This summer's Design Master Class follows the FileMaker DevCon on the weekend of July 20th, 2012. We'll follow a "Late Night" format that shifts work sessions into the evening, leaving two daytime slots for class tours of inspiring design examples in Miami. In addition, the Master Class will convene remotely for one online session early in July, before everyone meets in Miami. --- Live and breathe the principles of good des...

Warning: Objects of graphics.plotmanager class exist
Hi, I've been getting this error recently, and I've tracked it down to this line of code: annotation('textbox','String','testing'); After closing the figure that appeared, I entered: clear classes And then I get the following error: Warning: Objects of graphics.plotmanager class exist - not clearing this class or any of its super-classes Can anyone reproduce the same error? Regards, Yu Ang PS: Error only appeared when I do this in MATLAB 2011a. No error appeared when I do the same on MATLAB 2010b. PPS: I suspect that something was modified, as I did not have the same error message earlier before. Ive noticed this in 2011a as well and think its a bug. I dont think you are doing anything wrong. Try this: - Start a fresh MATLAB - Type: >> plot(1:10); - On the figure window open and close plot tools (you dont need to do anything else) - Close the figure window - Type: >> clear classes; - You should see: Warning: Objects of graphics.plotmanager class exist - not clearing this class or any of its super-classes Its annoying but hasnt seemed to cause me any other issues so is tolerable. "Yu Ang " <tan.ya@techsource.com.my> wrote in message <ish3jo$25n$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>... > Hi, > > I've been getting this error recently, and I've tracked it down to this line of code: > > annotation('textbox','String','testing'); > > Afte...

graphical or flow charting design aid for python class development?
Being somewhat new to Python, and having a tendency to over complicate things in my class design, I was wondering if anyone can suggest a simple graphical or flowcharting tool that they use to organize their class and program design? Because of a 55 mph head-on accident a few years back, I have short term memory problems, so flipping back and forth between pages of code is next to impossible for me to keep straight. A simple graphical model would allow me to 'see' everything in one view, and better organize my resulting code. I have had limited success using pydoc to view m...

HDs for graphics
Here's my scenario... can't afford to, can't afford not to. I've been working without a net for way too long and it's catching up to me. My only backup has been zips and they have proven inadequate and too costly. It seems that any technical knowledge I once had has either become out-dated or has been forgotten:( Problems that have been occurring: Not enough memory messages, not enough disk space messages, programs quitting, not a lot of freezing surprisingly. And, in high-res in Photoshop or Illustrator with raster images.... crawling-apply-a-brush-stroke-and-go-to-lunch SLOWWWWW. I know it was a lack of space and/or virtual memory that prevented a program from being able to print to file. There was enough space for the file, but I don't think the print monitor (or whatever) had the space/memory to finish the job. When I made enough space on my system partition I was able to output low-res for distiller finally, but still can't output high-res (this was a large graphics file). Working with virtual memory on doesn't seem to help, and sometimes seems to hurt. I allocated more memory to Photoshop and Illustrator to help speed them up, but this only served to reduce my scratch disk space and I still got "not enough memory" errors. I have a G4 Yikes, 350 MHz, 832MB ram, w/10GB Quantum hard drive. I am WAY over partitioned (5). First, should I replace the original or add a second hard drive? My concern is the age of the original (1999...

point classes, design of class relation
I would like to work with points in space: Point2D : (x,y) Point3D : (x,y,z) Pos2D : (x,y,yaw) Pos6D : (x,y,z,roll,pitch,yaw) what would be nice is that I can pass a Pos6D to a function that takes a Point3D as argument. What would be the best way of doing that? Possibilities I can see are: 1) Point2D is base class of Pos2D which is base class of Pos6D. That's what I was doing untill I introduced the Point3D class. If Point3D inherits from Point2D and If Pos6D inherits from both Point3D and Pos2D then there is ambiguity. Can I solve that? 2) make this classes independent and define cons...

class design/ design pattern question
I have a class which takes a while to instantiate (reads from shmmem, then connects to db etc). I call this a "heavy" class. I would like to use a "lightweight" version of the class - so that I can (for example), create consts in my code, for reuse - however, I want to be able to convert the lightweight object into a heavy weight counterpart, when I need to do some rare stuff. I remember coming accross a DP that allows one to do this but - and I can't locate it in the GoF constructional patterns ... ? Bartholomew Simpson wrote: > I have a class which takes a ...

class design vs. db design
Hi, if I want to reflect a 1:1 relationship for user:account, the design model may be: for class: A. User ------------- int user_id; int account_id; B. User ------------ int user_id; Account account; for db: C. User (user_id int); Account(account_id int, user_id int) D. User (user_id int, account_id int); Account (account_id int) Questions: 1. How to compare A vs. B in terms of OO design, JDO (java data object) 2. How to compare A vs. B in terms of db schema (with foreign key constraint) 3. C vs. D, which is better? should create user first or account first? ...

Web Design, Graphic Design, Print Design + Web Templates (High End, Corporate Style)
If you require any web work, (i.e. updates, remakes, new sites etc.), 'general' graphic design, (i.e. logos) or anything for print (i.e. business cards, brochures etc.) I'd appreciate it if you took a second to look at my portfolio and call if you have any questions. www.westcoastcreative.ca/new (Updated Portfolio) -------------------------------------------------------- www.westcoastcreative.ca (Main Business Site) 1.604.316.7777 ...

The Directory of Indian Web Designers, Graphic Designers
hi every one, if you want to know the Directory of Indian Web Designers, Graphic Designers, Web Developers, Multimedia Developers and Software Programmers. Just Logon to http://classifieds.byindia.com/detail.php?siteid=4461&cityid=168&show_still=1&citydetail=1 ...

The Directory of Indian Web Designers, Graphic Designers
hi every one, if you want to know the Directory of Indian Web Designers, Graphic Designers, Web Developers, Multimedia Developers and Software Programmers. Just Logon to http://classifieds.byindia.com/detail.php?siteid=4461&cityid=168&show_still=1&citydetail=1 ...

Site Designer/ Graphic Design/Artist Wanted
Hi, I'm a java ( back end ) programmer, and I'm working on a non-profit / free time website. Functionally, my site is very good. However its totally void of graphics / design or any kind of creative thought. Would anyone be interested in doing the creative side of the site ( pref. not templates ). I couldn't pay them as such; should it go live there would be a share in any advertising revenue. Thanks -b ...

best way of exporting classes/class design
i have some classes that i need to export into text files for transmission between some legacy systems that i was hoping to get some advice on. the way it works at the moment is a list of changes made to tables is kept in another table in a database. the table they're stored in just contains the name of table where the change was made and the primary key. there are a set of classes that map directly to tables in the database e.g. PRODUCT => Product, COMPANY => Company. periodically a class called UpdateFile is instantiated which iterates through the list of changes in the databa...

C++ Design Principles for Ruby
I have just been reading "C++ Coding Standards" 101 Rules, Guidelines, and Best Practices" by Herb Sutter and Andrei Alexandrescu. Some of the stuff is boring bog standard, the grist of a 1000 coding standards. Some of the design principles have been articulated in many different places, but I wonder about their applicability to Ruby. I suspect some may be restated in a Ruby Way. Here is one that is very C++ specific, yet I suspect there is a kernel of value that could be extracted into a far more Rubyish flavour. So to get at the Ruby flavour, I will be spitting out th...

The Directory of Indian Web Designers, Graphic Designers
hi every one, if you want to know the Directory of Indian Web Designers, Graphic Designers, Web Developers, Multimedia Developers and Software Programmers. Just Logon to http://classifieds.byindia.com/detail.php?siteid=4461&cityid=168&show_still=1&citydetail=1 ...

The Directory of Indian Web Designers, Graphic Designers #3
hi every one, if you want to know the Directory of Indian Web Designers, Graphic Designers, Web Developers, Multimedia Developers and Software Programmers. Just Logon to http://classifieds.byindia.com/detail.php?siteid=4461&cityid=168&show_still=1&citydetail=1 ...

The Directory of Indian Web Designers, Graphic Designers #4
hi every one, if you want to know the Directory of Indian Web Designers, Graphic Designers, Web Developers, Multimedia Developers and Software Programmers. Just Logon to http://classifieds.byindia.com/detail.php?siteid=4461&cityid=168&show_still=1&citydetail=1 ...

The Directory of Indian Web Designers, Graphic Designers #2
hi every one, if you want to know the Directory of Indian Web Designers, Graphic Designers, Web Developers, Multimedia Developers and Software Programmers. Just Logon to http://classifieds.byindia.com/detail.php?siteid=4461&cityid=168&show_still=1&citydetail=1 ...

The Directory of Indian Web Designers, Graphic Designers #3
hi every one, if you want to know the Directory of Indian Web Designers, Graphic Designers, Web Developers, Multimedia Developers and Software Programmers. Just Logon to http://classifieds.byindia.com/detail.php?siteid=4461&cityid=168&show_still=1&citydetail=1 ...

class design: where to put debug purpose utility class?
Hi, Let's say I have the following class: class foo { public: foo(); void addItem(int item); private: int* items; }; I want to write a unit test program to test foo::addItem(), to do that the test program needs to know the contents of foo::items. So I can add one more public function to class foo: int* getItems(); But suppose in my case, the client code of class foo does not need getItems() at all, this function serves only for test in this case. So I am considering to have a separate class fooTest and this class is a friend class of class foo so that it has an API to re...

Web resources about - Design Master Class is BACK! - comp.sys.mac.graphics

Design - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Design has different connotations in different fields (see design disciplines below). In some cases the direct construction of an object (as ...

Design - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Design has different connotations in different fields (see design disciplines below). In some cases the direct construction of an object (as ...

Design - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Design has different connotations in different fields (see design disciplines below). In some cases the direct construction of an object (as ...

Design Jargon Bullshit
Classic. [ Via Coudal ] ∞ Read this on The Loop

DesignModo - Web Design and Development Magazine
One of the most popular Design and Web Development blogs in the world. Great resource for both beginners and advanced designers looking to expand ...

Design*Sponge - Your home for all things Design. Home Tours, DIY Project, City Guides, Shopping Guides ...
... 180 and have embraced choosing it as a color for just about everything. So it seems fitting to wrap up this week with some gorgeous pink designs ...

DesignWoop - Web Design & Development Blog
A web design blog, looking at issues in and around the web design world, involving tutorials on jQuery, CSS, HTML and more, including useful ...

Latest Design Trends, Current Design Trends - International Design Times
International Design Times Inc. is the leading provider of trendy arts and designs in the United States and around the world. It provides online ...

Raible Designs - Enterprise Open Source Consulting
10 years ago , I wrote my first blog post. Since then, I've authored books, had kids, traveled the world, found Trish and blogged about it all. ...

Web Design Blog - Webdesigner Depot
Web Design Resources for Web Designers. We include Photoshop Tutorials, WordPress Plugins, and Web Development tools. Download free icons, Photoshop ...