How do you convert and resize images in one batch in Mac OS X 10.5.8?

Hello.

How do I convert and resize *multiple* image files from 1600x1200 to
smaller sizes and another formats (e.g., 1600x1200 JPEG/JPG to 800x600
PNG)? Finder (not iPhoto since these image files are NOT on regular HDD,
but a TrueCrypt encrypted volume container on another disk) doesn't seem
to have a batch method. I found the individual method.

Does Apple OS X 10.5.8 come with these batch conversion and resize
features or a third party software is needed to do that like in Windows?
I used IrfanView to do that in Windows to do batch conversions and resizes.

Thank you in advance. :)
--
"What I fear most from the stars is not aliens for they have
intelligence, but I fear social creatures like ants, that can overrun
     \ _ /         Nuke ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
      ( )                                           or ANTant@zimage.com
Ant
8/9/2009 7:36:11 AM
comp.sys.mac.graphics 482 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

In article <Y9CdnSCha5bx4ePXnZ2dnUVZ_s6dnZ2d@earthlink.com>,
 Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> How do I convert and resize *multiple* image files from 1600x1200 to
> smaller sizes and another formats (e.g., 1600x1200 JPEG/JPG to 800x600
> PNG)? Finder (not iPhoto since these image files are NOT on regular HDD,
> but a TrueCrypt encrypted volume container on another disk) doesn't seem
> to have a batch method. I found the individual method.
>
> Does Apple OS X 10.5.8 come with these batch conversion and resize
> features or a third party software is needed to do that like in Windows?
> I used IrfanView to do that in Windows to do batch conversions and resizes.
>
> Thank you in advance. :)

GraphicConverter, the Swiss Army knife of image conversions, will do the
job.  Visit VersionTracker or MacUpdate for additional info.

--
Tom Stiller

PGP fingerprint =  5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3  7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
0
Tom
8/9/2009 11:07:02 AM
 Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> How do I convert and resize *multiple* image files from 1600x1200 to
> smaller sizes and another formats (e.g., 1600x1200 JPEG/JPG to 800x600
> PNG)?

In Terminal, check out SIPS (scriptable image processing system)
man sips
You should be able to write yourself a simple shell script to batch it,
if needed.
I use it to generate photo files for web pages (well, actually to
generate the web pages as well)

--
http://www.ericlindsay.com
0
 Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> How do I convert and resize *multiple* image files from 1600x1200 to
> smaller sizes and another formats (e.g., 1600x1200 JPEG/JPG to 800x600
> PNG)? Finder (not iPhoto since these image files are NOT on regular HDD,
> but a TrueCrypt encrypted volume container on another disk) doesn't seem
> to have a batch method. I found the individual method.
>
> Does Apple OS X 10.5.8 come with these batch conversion and resize
> features or a third party software is needed to do that like in Windows?
> I used IrfanView to do that in Windows to do batch conversions and resizes.
>
> Thank you in advance. :)

You can do this without third-party software with Mac OS X Automator. Do
a Google search for "automator resize images" and "automator convert
images" to get started.

JR
0
Jolly
8/9/2009 1:37:46 PM
In article
<NOwebmasterSPAM-F1A87F.21102309082009@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.a
u>,
 Eric Lindsay <NOwebmasterSPAM@ericlindsay.com> wrote:

> In article <Y9CdnSCha5bx4ePXnZ2dnUVZ_s6dnZ2d@earthlink.com>,
>  Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello.
> >
> > How do I convert and resize *multiple* image files from 1600x1200 to
> > smaller sizes and another formats (e.g., 1600x1200 JPEG/JPG to 800x600
> > PNG)?
>
> In Terminal, check out SIPS (scriptable image processing system)
> man sips
> You should be able to write yourself a simple shell script to batch it,
> if needed.
> I use it to generate photo files for web pages (well, actually to
> generate the web pages as well)

The command-line route is probably the one I would take due to my
natural inclination to script or code solutions, but Automator is
another more user friendly option.

JR
0
Jolly
8/9/2009 1:41:18 PM
 Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> How do I convert and resize *multiple* image files from 1600x1200 to
> smaller sizes and another formats (e.g., 1600x1200 JPEG/JPG to 800x600
> PNG)? Finder (not iPhoto since these image files are NOT on regular HDD,
> but a TrueCrypt encrypted volume container on another disk) doesn't seem
> to have a batch method. I found the individual method.
>
> Does Apple OS X 10.5.8 come with these batch conversion and resize
> features or a third party software is needed to do that like in Windows?
> I used IrfanView to do that in Windows to do batch conversions and resizes.
>
> Thank you in advance. :)

I use 10.4.11 and  have a Workflow thing set up to do that for posting
pics to a binaries group.  Works great.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out

> GraphicConverter, the Swiss Army knife of image conversions, will do the
> job.  Visit VersionTracker or MacUpdate for additional info.

Thanks. I do like
http://www.lemkesoft.com/content/150/batch-conversion-with-additional-functions.html
.... Unfortunately, it's not free. Is there a freeware one? I don't need
many fancy bells and whistles. Just basic file conversions and resizings.
--
"What is it all but a trouble of ants... In the gleam of a million...
million of suns? --Alfred Lord Tennyson
     \ _ /         Nuke ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
      ( )                                           or ANTant@zimage.com
Ant
8/9/2009 6:16:40 PM
Based on my http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=9961050
forum thread, Preview did the job for batch resizings. Now, need to find
one for file conversions since Preview doesn't seem to support that.

On 8/9/2009 12:36 AM PT, Ant typed:

--
"Ladies and gentlemen, er, we've just lost the picture, but, uh, what
we've seen speaks for itself. The Corvair spacecraft has been taken
     \ _ /         Nuke ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
      ( )                                           or ANTant@zimage.com
Ant
8/9/2009 6:18:26 PM
On 8/9/2009 6:37 AM PT, Jolly Roger typed:

> You can do this without third-party software with Mac OS X Automator. Do
> a Google search for "automator resize images" and "automator convert
> images" to get started.

Thanks. I hope Automator is easy to use for a newbie! ;)
--
"As I watch the busy ants on the trail and around the ant pile, I am
impressed by the fact that they are doers and not just believers." --CR 1967
     \ _ /         Nuke ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
      ( )                                           or ANTant@zimage.com
Ant
8/9/2009 6:19:31 PM
On 8/9/2009 6:41 AM PT, Jolly Roger typed:

>>> How do I convert and resize *multiple* image files from 1600x1200 to
>>> smaller sizes and another formats (e.g., 1600x1200 JPEG/JPG to 800x600
>>> PNG)?
>> In Terminal, check out SIPS (scriptable image processing system)
>> man sips
>> You should be able to write yourself a simple shell script to batch it,
>> if needed.
>> I use it to generate photo files for web pages (well, actually to
>> generate the web pages as well)
>
> The command-line route is probably the one I would take due to my
> natural inclination to script or code solutions, but Automator is
> another more user friendly option.

Yeah, I am not a coder/programmer/scripter. I will see Automator.
--
"... Let's go pour these (peas from a can) onto an anthill I've found."
--Strong Bad (Witness the Cheatar! episode)
     \ _ /         Nuke ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
      ( )                                           or ANTant@zimage.com
Ant
8/9/2009 6:20:29 PM
In article <h-udneFpvvZuj-LXnZ2dnUVZ_rli4p2d@earthlink.com>,
 Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:

> On 8/9/2009 12:36 AM PT, Ant typed:
>
> > How do I convert and resize *multiple* image files from 1600x1200 to
> > smaller sizes and another formats (e.g., 1600x1200 JPEG/JPG to 800x600
> > PNG)? Finder (not iPhoto since these image files are NOT on regular HDD,
> > but a TrueCrypt encrypted volume container on another disk) doesn't seem
> > to have a batch method. I found the individual method.
> >
> > Does Apple OS X 10.5.8 come with these batch conversion and resize
> > features or a third party software is needed to do that like in Windows?
> > I used IrfanView to do that in Windows to do batch conversions and resizes.
> >
> > Thank you in advance. :)
>
> Based on my http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=9961050
> forum thread, Preview did the job for batch resizings. Now, need to find
> one for file conversions since Preview doesn't seem to support that.

Again, "automator convert images"...

JR
0
Jolly
8/9/2009 7:00:20 PM
In article <h-udneZpvvYVj-LXnZ2dnUVZ_rli4p2d@earthlink.com>,
 Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:

> On 8/9/2009 4:07 AM PT, Tom Stiller typed:
>
> > GraphicConverter, the Swiss Army knife of image conversions, will do the
> > job.  Visit VersionTracker or MacUpdate for additional info.
>
> Thanks. I do like
> http://www.lemkesoft.com/content/150/batch-conversion-with-additional-function
> s.html
> ... Unfortunately, it's not free. Is there a freeware one? I don't need
> many fancy bells and whistles. Just basic file conversions and resizings.

I guess it depends on how you define "basic file conversions". No
[comparable] free one that I know of.

--
Tom Stiller

PGP fingerprint =  5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3  7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
0
Tom
8/9/2009 7:20:15 PM
On 2009-08-09 11:16:40 -0700, Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> said:

> On 8/9/2009 4:07 AM PT, Tom Stiller typed:
>
>> GraphicConverter, the Swiss Army knife of image conversions, will do
>> the job.  Visit VersionTracker or MacUpdate for additional info.
>
> Thanks. I do like
> http://www.lemkesoft.com/content/150/batch-conversion-with-additional-functions.html
> ... Unfortunately, it's not free. Is there a freeware one? I don't need
> many fancy bells and whistles. Just basic file conversions and
> resizings.

Just use ImageMagick. Its free, and more powerful than most commercial
offerings. You can even install Gimp and use its scripting backend for
batch processing.

I recently started using macs after years of using Linux. There are
plus points for macs - you can use Microsoft Word / Endnote natively
(which is unfortunately important for me), and crossover does not do a
perfect job. There are many downsides. Stuff that used to just work on
linux does not work on mac, despite its somewhat unix'y backend. I find
myself editing scripts to account for the fact that macports and fink
often carry outdated versions of software. Things that were a matter of
a simple apt-get install, now often involve a long compilation process.
And like in your case, people in the macworld are used to paying for
simple pieces of software, which are inferior to stuff that is
available for free.

Its an adjustment process. If it were not for Microsoft Word (and if
Endnote had a linux version), I would go back to Linux in a heartbeat.

0
Geico
8/9/2009 7:26:33 PM
On 8/9/2009 12:20 PM PT, Tom Stiller typed:
>>> GraphicConverter, the Swiss Army knife of image conversions, will do the
>>> job.  Visit VersionTracker or MacUpdate for additional info.
>> Thanks. I do like
>> http://www.lemkesoft.com/content/150/batch-conversion-with-additional-function
>> s.html
>> ... Unfortunately, it's not free. Is there a freeware one? I don't need
>> many fancy bells and whistles. Just basic file conversions and resizings.
>
> I guess it depends on how you define "basic file conversions". No
> [comparable] free one that I know of.

Thanks anyways.
--
"In every enemy that is an ant, behold an elephant." --Turkish
    /\___/\
     \ _ /         Nuke ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
      ( )                                           or ANTant@zimage.com
Ant
8/9/2009 7:50:14 PM
Yeah, I am still trying to get adjusted to Mac world. Is there a good
GUI frontend for ImageMagicK under Mac OS X 10.5.8?

> Just use ImageMagick. Its free, and more powerful than most commercial
> offerings. You can even install Gimp and use its scripting backend for
> batch processing.
>
> I recently started using macs after years of using Linux. There are plus
> points for macs - you can use Microsoft Word / Endnote natively (which
> is unfortunately important for me), and crossover does not do a perfect
> job. There are many downsides. Stuff that used to just work on linux
> does not work on mac, despite its somewhat unix'y backend. I find myself
> editing scripts to account for the fact that macports and fink often
> carry outdated versions of software. Things that were a matter of a
> simple apt-get install, now often involve a long compilation process.
> And like in your case, people in the macworld are used to paying for
> simple pieces of software, which are inferior to stuff that is available
> for free.
>
> Its an adjustment process. If it were not for Microsoft Word (and if
> Endnote had a linux version), I would go back to Linux in a heartbeat.
--
"Ants. There's a size for every picnic, a colour for every occasion, and
a bite to let you know that they are there. Apart from the bite, that
     \ _ /         Nuke ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
      ( )                                           or ANTant@zimage.com
Ant
8/9/2009 7:53:15 PM
In article <2009080912263316807-spammersgohere@spaminvalid>,
 Geico Caveman <spammers-go-here@spam.invalid> wrote:

> I find
> myself editing scripts to account for the fact that macports and fink
> often carry outdated versions of software. Things that were a matter of
> a simple apt-get install, now often involve a long compilation process.

I maintain my own /usr/local/* and I don't have any problem keeping the
applications and libraries updated that I need and use on my system. OS
X is a true Unix system, there's just no package manager on the Unix
side of it. The best package manager in the world isn't going to get a
bespoke version of ffmpeg going for you, let alone a PHP that has the
stuff in it that you want, like a fully blown gd installation.
--
Suddenly he realized that he was alone
with a giant halfwit on a dark deserted street.

0
Warren
8/9/2009 11:02:48 PM
Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> How do I convert and resize *multiple* image files from 1600x1200 to
> smaller sizes and another formats (e.g., 1600x1200 JPEG/JPG to 800x600
> PNG)? Finder (not iPhoto since these image files are NOT on regular HDD,
> but a TrueCrypt encrypted volume container on another disk) doesn't seem
> to have a batch method. I found the individual method.
>
> Does Apple OS X 10.5.8 come with these batch conversion and resize
> features or a third party software is needed to do that like in Windows?
> I used IrfanView to do that in Windows to do batch conversions and resizes.
>
> Thank you in advance. :)

It's not free, but I use the excellent and very inexpensive
GraphicConverter
<http://www.lemkesoft.com/content/150/batch-conversion-with-additional-f
unctions.html>.
jamiekg
8/10/2009 1:27:15 PM
On 8/10/2009 6:27 AM PT, Jamie Kahn Genet typed:

>> How do I convert and resize *multiple* image files from 1600x1200 to
>> smaller sizes and another formats (e.g., 1600x1200 JPEG/JPG to 800x600
>> PNG)? Finder (not iPhoto since these image files are NOT on regular HDD,
>> but a TrueCrypt encrypted volume container on another disk) doesn't seem
>> to have a batch method. I found the individual method.
>>
>> Does Apple OS X 10.5.8 come with these batch conversion and resize
>> features or a third party software is needed to do that like in Windows?
>> I used IrfanView to do that in Windows to do batch conversions and resizes.
>>
>> Thank you in advance. :)
>
> It's not free, but I use the excellent and very inexpensive
> GraphicConverter
> <http://www.lemkesoft.com/content/150/batch-conversion-with-additional-f
> unctions.html>.

Thanks. Yeah, looking for a freeware.
--
[Laser pulsing] "Bah. It's as easy as crushing an ant! You know, the..."
[grunting] "Wh-wh-whoa! Hey, take my wallet and leave me alone!" --Mr.