How to turn off Apple CInema Display?

Apple 21" Cinema Display connected to MacBook 10.4.11 in mirror mode:
how to turn the Cinema Display off, or turn its brightness down to zero,
without disconnecting (or unpowering) it?

[There's a brightness slider in the Cinema prefs panel, but it only dims
the Cinema Display a bit, far from fully off.]
0
AES
11/23/2008 6:53:40 AM
comp.sys.mac.graphics 482 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

In article <siegman-A45AF5.22532022112008@news.stanford.edu>,
 AES <siegman@stanford.edu> wrote:

> Apple 21" Cinema Display connected to MacBook 10.4.11 in mirror mode:
> how to turn the Cinema Display off, or turn its brightness down to zero,
> without disconnecting (or unpowering) it?
>
> [There's a brightness slider in the Cinema prefs panel, but it only dims
> the Cinema Display a bit, far from fully off.]

Don't know about that model, but mine has a proximity switch on the
side.  The Displays:Options Preferences panel selects what that switch
does.

--
Google is a pro-spamming service.  I will not see your reply if you use Google.
0
 Kevin McMurtrie <kevinmcm@sonic.net> wrote:

> In article <siegman-A45AF5.22532022112008@news.stanford.edu>,
>  AES <siegman@stanford.edu> wrote:
>
> > Apple 21" Cinema Display connected to MacBook 10.4.11 in mirror mode:
> > how to turn the Cinema Display off, or turn its brightness down to zero,
> > without disconnecting (or unpowering) it?
> >
> > [There's a brightness slider in the Cinema prefs panel, but it only dims
> > the Cinema Display a bit, far from fully off.]
>
> Don't know about that model, but mine has a proximity switch on the
> side.  The Displays:Options Preferences panel selects what that switch
> does.

Never noticed that before!   On the right side, near the bottom, totally
flush with the surface.

Holding a finger on the "�" button brings an icon with a progress bar
which gradually turns black all the way from right side to left side.

But, no matter how long you hold the button, the screen itself only dims
by, I'd say, about 30% -- that is, down to maybe 70% of max brightness,
still more than bright enough to use the monitor (or to keep the room
dimly but definitely illuminated at night).

The corresponding screen dimmer F1 key on the keyboard of the MacBook
that's driving the Cinema Display, when held down, dims the MacBook
screen all the way to black.
0
AES
11/23/2008 4:03:13 PM
In article <siegman-A45AF5.22532022112008@news.stanford.edu>,
 AES <siegman@stanford.edu> wrote:

> Apple 21" Cinema Display connected to MacBook 10.4.11 in mirror mode:
> how to turn the Cinema Display off, or turn its brightness down to zero,
> without disconnecting (or unpowering) it?
>
> [There's a brightness slider in the Cinema prefs panel, but it only dims
> the Cinema Display a bit, far from fully off.]

You may not be able to turn it off manually. Some older models of
Apple's cinema display (perhaps combined with certain versions of Mac OS
X) do not allow you to turn the display off with the physical power
button.

For instance, I'm still using my trusty, old (plastic bezel) 23" cinema
display with Mac OS X 10.5 on my Mac Pro:

<http://jollyroger.kicks-ass.org/cinemadisplay.gif>

On my Mac Pro, with these settings, pressing the power button on the
front of my cinema display does absolutely nothing:

     System Preferences > Displays > Options:
     [ ] Disable power button
     [*] Disable display preferences button

     System Preferences > Energy Saver > Options:
     [ ] Allow power button to sleep the computer

That said, you can have the display go to sleep automatically (by using
the settings in the Energy Saver control panel).

And you can invoke the screen saver / energy saver display sleep
manually by choosing the Keychain Access menu item > Lock Screen command.

JR
0
Jolly
11/23/2008 6:33:00 PM
In article <siegman-A82749.08030023112008@news.stanford.edu>,
 AES <siegman@stanford.edu> wrote:

> In article <492911af$0$95507$742ec2ed@news.sonic.net>,
>  Kevin McMurtrie <kevinmcm@sonic.net> wrote:
>
> > In article <siegman-A45AF5.22532022112008@news.stanford.edu>,
> >  AES <siegman@stanford.edu> wrote:
> >
> > > Apple 21" Cinema Display connected to MacBook 10.4.11 in mirror mode:
> > > how to turn the Cinema Display off, or turn its brightness down to zero,
> > > without disconnecting (or unpowering) it?
> > >
> > > [There's a brightness slider in the Cinema prefs panel, but it only dims
> > > the Cinema Display a bit, far from fully off.]
> >
> > Don't know about that model, but mine has a proximity switch on the
> > side.  The Displays:Options Preferences panel selects what that switch
> > does.
>

> Never noticed that before!   On the right side, near the bottom, totally
> flush with the surface.
>
> Holding a finger on the "�" button brings an icon with a progress bar
> which gradually turns black all the way from right side to left side.
>
> But, no matter how long you hold the button, the screen itself only dims
> by, I'd say, about 30% -- that is, down to maybe 70% of max brightness,
> still more than bright enough to use the monitor (or to keep the room
> dimly but definitely illuminated at night).
>
> The corresponding screen dimmer F1 key on the keyboard of the MacBook
> that's driving the Cinema Display, when held down, dims the MacBook
> screen all the way to black.

Below the + and - marks should be a power icon. Touch it to switch the
display on/off.

Check the monitor's documentation; it tells you how to configure the
switch;

  - Open System Preferences, click Displays, go to the Options tab, and
under Display Power Button select "Turns the display on and off".

The little touch-sensitive dimple on the lower right side of the display
will now control the power of the display only, independently of the
computer.
0
Steve
11/23/2008 10:42:28 PM
In article <sehix-849D99.14422823112008@news.speakeasy.net>,
 Steve Hix <sehix@NOSPAMspeakeasy.netINVALID> wrote:

> Below the + and - marks should be a power icon. Touch it to switch the
> display on/off.
>
> Check the monitor's documentation; it tells you how to configure the
> switch;
>
>   - Open System Preferences, click Displays, go to the Options tab, and
> under Display Power Button select "Turns the display on and off".
>
> The little touch-sensitive dimple on the lower right side of the display
> will now control the power of the display only, independently of the
> computer.

Lovely!  Thank you.
0
AES
11/24/2008 12:43:01 AM
In article <sehix-849D99.14422823112008@news.speakeasy.net>,
 Steve Hix <sehix@NOSPAMspeakeasy.netINVALID> wrote:

> Check the monitor's documentation; it tells you how to configure the
> switch;
>
>   - Open System Preferences, click Displays, go to the Options tab, and
> under Display Power Button select "Turns the display on and off".
>
> The little touch-sensitive dimple on the lower right side of the display
> will now control the power of the display only, independently of the
> computer.

It really ticks me off that this checkbox isn't there in my System
Preferences > Displays > Options panel for my cinema display!

I've become accustomed to just leaving it on and letting Energy Saver do
its thing; and luckily I don't have any USB peripherals that tend to
spontaneously wake the display from sleep. But it sure would be nice to
have a power switch that actually does what power switches are supposed
to do!

Damn you, Apple!  >: (

JR
1
Jolly
11/24/2008 12:58:37 AM
In article <siegman-A1530B.16424123112008@news.stanford.edu>,
 AES <siegman@stanford.edu> wrote:

> In article <sehix-849D99.14422823112008@news.speakeasy.net>,
>  Steve Hix <sehix@NOSPAMspeakeasy.netINVALID> wrote:
>

> > Below the + and - marks should be a power icon. Touch it to switch the
> > display on/off.
> >
> > Check the monitor's documentation; it tells you how to configure the
> > switch;
> >
> >   - Open System Preferences, click Displays, go to the Options tab, and
> > under Display Power Button select "Turns the display on and off".
> >
> > The little touch-sensitive dimple on the lower right side of the display
> > will now control the power of the display only, independently of the
> > computer.
>
> Lovely!  Thank you.

Oh, and I assumed that you were referring to the 20" Cinema Display, and
your 21" was a typo.

If not...
0
Steve