req: Umax Astra 1200s scanning app/driver

Help,
I haven't used my scanner in several years and now can't find the
software. It runs under OS 8.0-9.1 on G3-G4.

Umax doesn't support this device anymore.

THanks
--Paul
0
pakob (33)
11/17/2009 10:41:58 PM
comp.sys.mac.graphics 482 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

In article <171120091741581036%pakob@yahoo.com>, Paul <pakob@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Help,
> I haven't used my scanner in several years and now can't find the
> software. It runs under OS 8.0-9.1 on G3-G4.
>
> Umax doesn't support this device anymore.

Paul-

I had a similar problem with my old Acer USB scanner.  I found VueScan
at <http://www.hamrick.com>, that works quite well under OS X, with a
number of different scanners.  The only problem might be that there is
probably not a version that runs under OS 8 or 9.

I also have an old Minolta "Dimage Scan Dual" film scanner that requires
a SCSI interface.  It came with drivers that only work under OS 8 or 9.
Using a SCSI-to-FireWire adapter, it is recognized by and works with
VueScan under OS X.

I don't recall what the price is, but you can download a trial copy of
VueScan to verify if it works with your scanner.

Fred
0
Fred
11/18/2009 6:11:23 AM
In article <fmmck-BA4CED.01112318112009@nntp.aioe.org>,
 Fred McKenzie <fmmck@aol.com> wrote:
> In article <171120091741581036%pakob@yahoo.com>, Paul <pakob@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> > Help,
> > I haven't used my scanner in several years and now can't find the
> > software. It runs under OS 8.0-9.1 on G3-G4.
> >
> > Umax doesn't support this device anymore.
>
> I had a similar problem with my old Acer USB scanner.  I found VueScan
> at <http://www.hamrick.com>, that works quite well under OS X, with a
> number of different scanners.  The only problem might be that there is
> probably not a version that runs under OS 8 or 9.
>
> I also have an old Minolta "Dimage Scan Dual" film scanner that requires
> a SCSI interface.  It came with drivers that only work under OS 8 or 9.
> Using a SCSI-to-FireWire adapter, it is recognized by and works with
> VueScan under OS X.
>
> I don't recall what the price is, but you can download a trial copy of
> VueScan to verify if it works with your scanner.

I can say from first hand experience that the 1200s does NOT work with
Vuescan under OS 10. I tried this out a few years ago with a SCSI
converter. It seemed like it was going to work at first, but could never
start a scan. I sent the logs to Ed Hamrick, and he said I was out of
luck (Very prompt and cogent response from him. Sorry I couldn't buy his
product.) I have no idea about using it under a Classic version without
the original software.
0
Fred
11/18/2009 4:10:27 PM
In article <fmoore-58A766.11102718112009@feeder.eternal-september.org>,
Fred Moore <fmoore@gcfn.org> wrote:

> In article <fmmck-BA4CED.01112318112009@nntp.aioe.org>,
>  Fred McKenzie <fmmck@aol.com> wrote:
> > In article <171120091741581036%pakob@yahoo.com>, Paul <pakob@yahoo.com>
> > wrote:
> > > Help,
> > > I haven't used my scanner in several years and now can't find the
> > > software. It runs under OS 8.0-9.1 on G3-G4.
> > >
> > > Umax doesn't support this device anymore.
> >
> > I had a similar problem with my old Acer USB scanner.  I found VueScan
> > at <http://www.hamrick.com>, that works quite well under OS X, with a
> > number of different scanners.  The only problem might be that there is
> > probably not a version that runs under OS 8 or 9.
> >
> > I also have an old Minolta "Dimage Scan Dual" film scanner that requires
> > a SCSI interface.  It came with drivers that only work under OS 8 or 9.
> > Using a SCSI-to-FireWire adapter, it is recognized by and works with
> > VueScan under OS X.
> >
> > I don't recall what the price is, but you can download a trial copy of
> > VueScan to verify if it works with your scanner.
>
> I can say from first hand experience that the 1200s does NOT work with
> Vuescan under OS 10. I tried this out a few years ago with a SCSI
> converter. It seemed like it was going to work at first, but could never
> start a scan. I sent the logs to Ed Hamrick, and he said I was out of
> luck (Very prompt and cogent response from him. Sorry I couldn't buy his
> product.) I have no idea about using it under a Classic version without
> the original software.

Thanks for the responses - I was afraid I might be out of luck.
--Paul
0
Paul