Seashore's simple/basic graphic editor replacement in mac OS v10.12/Sierra?

Hello.

Old Seashore graphic editor crashes in mac OS Sierra/v10.12. I assume
there will be no way to get it to work from what I read in its SF forum
since others reported the same issue. And the developer hasn't worked on
it for many years.

Does anyone know of a good free replacement for it? Gimp is too slow,
bloated, and advanced for me.

Thank you in advance. :)
--
Quote of the Week: "I really believe I've been a good person. Not
perfect - forget about perfect - but just learning by what I was taught

In article <H_2dncpJHtmKlJnFnZ2dnUU7-TNQAAAA@earthlink.com>, Ant
<ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Old Seashore graphic editor crashes in mac OS Sierra/v10.12. I assume
> there will be no way to get it to work from what I read in its SF forum
> since others reported the same issue. And the developer hasn't worked on
> it for many years.
>
> Does anyone know of a good free replacement for it? Gimp is too slow,
> bloated, and advanced for me.

gimp and advanced do not belong in the same sentence. confusing and a
horrible user interface yes. advanced no.

depending on what you need to do, preview, photos or photoshop elements
(which is much easier to use than the gimp).
0
nospam
10/16/2016 11:24:01 PM
In comp.sys.mac.graphics nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> In article <H_2dncpJHtmKlJnFnZ2dnUU7-TNQAAAA@earthlink.com>, Ant
> <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:

> > Hello.
> >
> > Old Seashore graphic editor crashes in mac OS Sierra/v10.12. I assume
> > there will be no way to get it to work from what I read in its SF forum
> > since others reported the same issue. And the developer hasn't worked on
> > it for many years.
> >
> > Does anyone know of a good free replacement for it? Gimp is too slow,
> > bloated, and advanced for me.

> gimp and advanced do not belong in the same sentence. confusing and a
> horrible user interface yes. advanced no.

> depending on what you need to do, preview, photos or photoshop elements
> (which is much easier to use than the gimp).

I need a simple graphic editor like Seashore like drawings, adding
texts, etc.
--
Quote of the Week: "I really believe I've been a good person. Not
perfect - forget about perfect - but just learning by what I was taught
and living by my own values. I might have stepped on a few ants - and a
few other things as well - but I've never hurt anybody." --Kiri Te
Kanawa
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
 / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o   o| |
   \ _ /    Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail privately. If credit-
    ( )     ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
0
ANTant
10/17/2016 7:00:51 AM
Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:
> In comp.sys.mac.graphics nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>> In article <H_2dncpJHtmKlJnFnZ2dnUU7-TNQAAAA@earthlink.com>, Ant
>> <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:
>
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> Old Seashore graphic editor crashes in mac OS Sierra/v10.12. I assume
>>> there will be no way to get it to work from what I read in its SF forum
>>> since others reported the same issue. And the developer hasn't worked on
>>> it for many years.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know of a good free replacement for it? Gimp is too slow,
>>> bloated, and advanced for me.
>
>> gimp and advanced do not belong in the same sentence. confusing and a
>> horrible user interface yes. advanced no.
>
>> depending on what you need to do, preview, photos or photoshop elements
>> (which is much easier to use than the gimp).
>
> I need a simple graphic editor like Seashore like drawings, adding
> texts, etc.

Did you look at Preview's capabilities? If they aren't enough, Pixelmator
might be right for you - though it isn't free.

JR
0
Jolly
10/17/2016 3:56:49 PM
On Sun, 16 Oct 2016 18:11:19 -0500
ANTant@zimage.com (Ant) wrote:

> Does anyone know of a good free replacement for it? Gimp is too slow,

http://alternativeto.net/software/seashore/?platform=mac

btw which gimp version did you try

0
Electric
10/17/2016 11:18:04 PM
In article <zb-dnf7HV4q-6pnFnZ2dnUU7-e-dnZ2d@earthlink.com>,
 ANTant@zimage.com (Ant) wrote:

> In comp.sys.mac.graphics nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> > In article <H_2dncpJHtmKlJnFnZ2dnUU7-TNQAAAA@earthlink.com>, Ant
> > <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:
>
> > > Hello.
> > >
> > > Old Seashore graphic editor crashes in mac OS Sierra/v10.12. I assume
> > > there will be no way to get it to work from what I read in its SF forum
> > > since others reported the same issue. And the developer hasn't worked on
> > > it for many years.
> > >
> > > Does anyone know of a good free replacement for it? Gimp is too slow,
> > > bloated, and advanced for me.
>
> > gimp and advanced do not belong in the same sentence. confusing and a
> > horrible user interface yes. advanced no.
>
> > depending on what you need to do, preview, photos or photoshop elements
> > (which is much easier to use than the gimp).
>
> I need a simple graphic editor like Seashore like drawings, adding
> texts, etc.

Preview can annotate graphics files.  It's about as simple as you're
gonna find.

More complex is Skitch V1. V2 is crap.  It's free.

More complex is Pixelmator, $29.99 in the app store.

http://www.pixelmator.com/mac/

If you just want to deal with all sorts of image formats (but no editing
or annotating), Graphic Converter is good.

If all you want is free, go with Preview.

--
DeeDee, don't press that button!  DeeDee!  NO!  Dee...

Michael
10/18/2016 2:12:55 AM
Electric Comet <electric-comet@mail.invalid> wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Oct 2016 18:11:19 -0500
> ANTant@zimage.com (Ant) wrote:

> > Does anyone know of a good free replacement for it? Gimp is too slow,

> http://alternativeto.net/software/seashore/?platform=mac

> btw which gimp version did you try

v2.8.18.
--
Quote of the Week: "I really believe I've been a good person. Not
perfect - forget about perfect - but just learning by what I was taught
and living by my own values. I might have stepped on a few ants - and a
few other things as well - but I've never hurt anybody." --Kiri Te
Kanawa
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
 / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o   o| |
   \ _ /    Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail privately. If credit-
    ( )     ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
0
ANTant
10/18/2016 2:39:47 AM
In comp.sys.mac.apps Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:

> Old Seashore graphic editor crashes in mac OS Sierra/v10.12. I assume
> there will be no way to get it to work from what I read in its SF forum
> since others reported the same issue. And the developer hasn't worked on
> it for many years.

> Does anyone know of a good free replacement for it? Gimp is too slow,
> bloated, and advanced for me.

I also like Seashore and use it regularly under El Capitan.  I just
tried to use Seashore on a test machine with Sierra and it crashed
for me as well. That's disapointing.

If you wanted to keep using Seashore, you could set-up El Capitan in a
virtual machine and run it that way.

I don't know of something free to replace Seashore with, but for
$30 Acorn (available in the App Store) is very good and gets regular
updates from the developer.  I got Acorn, after having used Seashore
for a number of years and I found it fairly easy to figure how to
get it to do what I wanted.  While Acorn doesn't work exactly like
Seashore, it is similar.
0
Bob
10/18/2016 2:35:30 PM
On 2016-10-18 14:35:30 +0000, "Bob" <bob@bob.invalid> said:

> In comp.sys.mac.apps Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:
>
>> Old Seashore graphic editor crashes in mac OS Sierra/v10.12. I assume
>> there will be no way to get it to work from what I read in its SF forum
>> since others reported the same issue. And the developer hasn't worked on
>> it for many years.
>
>> Does anyone know of a good free replacement for it? Gimp is too slow,
>> bloated, and advanced for me.
>
> I also like Seashore and use it regularly under El Capitan.  I just
> tried to use Seashore on a test machine with Sierra and it crashed
> for me as well. That's disapointing.
>
> If you wanted to keep using Seashore, you could set-up El Capitan in a
> virtual machine and run it that way.
>
> I don't know of something free to replace Seashore with, but for
> $30 Acorn (available in the App Store) is very good and gets regular
> updates from the developer.  I got Acorn, after having used Seashore
> for a number of years and I found it fairly easy to figure how to
> get it to do what I wanted.  While Acorn doesn't work exactly like
> Seashore, it is similar.

Seashore is a Cocoa UI implementation of GIMP, and while Acorn does a
good enough job, both Pixelmator and Affinity Photo are far superior.
--
Regards,

Savageduck

0
Savageduck
10/18/2016 6:04:46 PM
On Mon, 17 Oct 2016 21:39:47 -0500
ANTant@zimage.com (Ant) wrote:

> v2.8.18.

strange that it is slower than seashore

how did you measure performance

or how did you conclude that it was slower

0
Electric
10/18/2016 10:18:03 PM
Electric Comet <electric-comet@mail.invalid> wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Oct 2016 21:39:47 -0500
> ANTant@zimage.com (Ant) wrote:

> > v2.8.18.

> strange that it is slower than seashore

> how did you measure performance

> or how did you conclude that it was slower

Like the startup, usage, etc. The feel to me.
--
Quote of the Week: "I really believe I've been a good person. Not
perfect - forget about perfect - but just learning by what I was taught
and living by my own values. I might have stepped on a few ants - and a
few other things as well - but I've never hurt anybody." --Kiri Te
Kanawa
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
 / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o   o| |
   \ _ /    Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail privately. If credit-
    ( )     ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
0
ANTant
10/18/2016 11:28:46 PM
On Tue, 18 Oct 2016 18:28:46 -0500
ANTant@zimage.com (Ant) wrote:

> Like the startup, usage, etc. The feel to me.

is seashore not a wrapper over gimp

do you compile gimp or use pre made binaries

i recall that there were one or two places for pre made binaries

that could make a difference

0
Electric
10/19/2016 4:54:21 AM