Simple/basic free screen ruler and graphic editor for Mac OS X?

Hello.

What is a good simple/basic screen ruler (to measure pixels on screen)
and graphic editor for Mac OS X v10.10.5 (Yosemite)? This is for a
Windows user who uses old Jasc's Paint Shop Pro, Paint.NET, etc. I tried
a few like Pascal's old Free Ruler, but didn't like them. I am hoping
you guys use better softwares that I haven't discovered yet. Also, is it
me or is there no free screen ruler on Apple's App Store?

Thank you in advance. :)
--
"Since the world began, we have never exterminated. We probably shall
never exterminate as much as one single insect species. If there was

In article <oMKdnXXHl4XpY07InZ2dnUU7-VudnZ2d@earthlink.com>, Ant
<ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> What is a good simple/basic screen ruler (to measure pixels on screen)
> and graphic editor for Mac OS X v10.10.5 (Yosemite)? This is for a
> Windows user who uses old Jasc's Paint Shop Pro, Paint.NET, etc. I tried
> a few like Pascal's old Free Ruler, but didn't like them. I am hoping
> you guys use better softwares that I haven't discovered yet. Also, is it
> me or is there no free screen ruler on Apple's App Store?
>
> Thank you in advance. :)

A pixel measuring screen ruler probably isn't much use in these days of
multi-resolution displays and 4K displays. A 1cm long line would have a
different number of pixels on various screens.

I don't know of any free paint applications, but this page might be
worth checking, although some of the apps my not work on newer Mac OS X
versions: http://alternativeto.net/software/paintnet/?platform=mac

Pixelmator and GraphicConverter are the two graphic apps that most
people use (although GraphicConverter isn't great as an editor - it can
be frustratingly cumbersome).
0
Your
8/20/2015 6:49:03 AM
On 2015-08-20 06:49:03 +0000, Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> said:

> In article <oMKdnXXHl4XpY07InZ2dnUU7-VudnZ2d@earthlink.com>, Ant
> <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:
>>
>> Hello.
>>
>> What is a good simple/basic screen ruler (to measure pixels on screen)
>> and graphic editor for Mac OS X v10.10.5 (Yosemite)? This is for a
>> Windows user who uses old Jasc's Paint Shop Pro, Paint.NET, etc. I tried
>> a few like Pascal's old Free Ruler, but didn't like them. I am hoping
>> you guys use better softwares that I haven't discovered yet. Also, is it
>> me or is there no free screen ruler on Apple's App Store?
>>
>> Thank you in advance. :)
>
> A pixel measuring screen ruler probably isn't much use in these days of
> multi-resolution displays and 4K displays. A 1cm long line would have a
> different number of pixels on various screens.
>
> I don't know of any free paint applications, but this page might be
> worth checking, although some of the apps my not work on newer Mac OS X
> versions: http://alternativeto.net/software/paintnet/?platform=mac
>
> Pixelmator and GraphicConverter are the two graphic apps that most
> people use (although GraphicConverter isn't great as an editor - it can
> be frustratingly cumbersome).

With Pixelmator as with Photoshop "Rulers" can be shown in pixels,
inches, Centimeters, Millimeters, Points, Picas, and/or Percentage. The
Grid is customizable, and the Alignment Guides can be centered, or at
the object edges.

The rulers are scaled proportionately to reflect the actual size of the
image shown on the display rather than a fixed "ruler". So the physical
size of a 1200 x 900 pixel image @ a DPI of 360 pixels/inch is going to
be 3.3  x 2.5 inches even though a zoomed in screen image might fill
the display. Change that resolution DPI to 96 ppi and the physical
dimensions will be changed to 12.5 x 9.375 inches, and will still
appear the same on the display. However, the scaling of the rulers will
either compress or stretch out depending on need.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

0
Savageduck
8/20/2015 7:57:56 AM
In article <z9SdnSfG8JwH5kXInZ2dnUU7-U2dnZ2d@earthlink.com>, Ant
<ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:

> >> What is a good simple/basic screen ruler (to measure pixels on screen)
> >> and graphic editor for Mac OS X v10.10.5 (Yosemite)? This is for a
> >> Windows user who uses old Jasc's Paint Shop Pro, Paint.NET, etc. I tried
> >> a few like Pascal's old Free Ruler, but didn't like them. I am hoping
> >> you guys use better softwares that I haven't discovered yet. Also, is it
> >> me or is there no free screen ruler on Apple's App Store?
> >
> > A pixel measuring screen ruler probably isn't much use in these days of
> > multi-resolution displays and 4K displays. A 1cm long line would have a
> > different number of pixels on various screens.
> >
> > I don't know of any free paint applications, but this page might be
> > worth checking, although some of the apps my not work on newer Mac OS X
> > versions: http://alternativeto.net/software/paintnet/?platform=mac
> >
> > Pixelmator and GraphicConverter are the two graphic apps that most
> > people use (although GraphicConverter isn't great as an editor - it can
> > be frustratingly cumbersome).
>
> Thanks. I'll retry Gimp (used it in Linux, but geez it is difficult and
> complex when I tried it years ago -- maybe it got easier now?), Pinta,
> and SeaShore (it hasn't been updated for years -- I hope it works in
> v10.10.x/Yosemite well). :)

Gimp is another one and is free (I'd forgotten about that one). It used
to be a bit of a mess, partly thanks to needing X11 to run, but I have
a vague recollection of reading that there's now a proper Mac version.

Another one that is/was popular is Acorn, although it's not free.
0
Your
8/22/2015 1:01:01 AM
>> What is a good simple/basic screen ruler (to measure pixels on screen)
>> and graphic editor for Mac OS X v10.10.5 (Yosemite)? This is for a
>> Windows user who uses old Jasc's Paint Shop Pro, Paint.NET, etc. I tried
>> a few like Pascal's old Free Ruler, but didn't like them. I am hoping
>> you guys use better softwares that I haven't discovered yet. Also, is it
>> me or is there no free screen ruler on Apple's App Store?
>
> A pixel measuring screen ruler probably isn't much use in these days of
> multi-resolution displays and 4K displays. A 1cm long line would have a
> different number of pixels on various screens.
>
> I don't know of any free paint applications, but this page might be
> worth checking, although some of the apps my not work on newer Mac OS X
> versions: http://alternativeto.net/software/paintnet/?platform=mac
>
> Pixelmator and GraphicConverter are the two graphic apps that most
> people use (although GraphicConverter isn't great as an editor - it can
> be frustratingly cumbersome).

Thanks. I'll retry Gimp (used it in Linux, but geez it is difficult and
complex when I tried it years ago -- maybe it got easier now?), Pinta,
and SeaShore (it hasn't been updated for years -- I hope it works in
v10.10.x/Yosemite well). :)
--
"... Our world is not an ant farm!" --Duncan MacLeod (Highlander Season
3 Finale Part II)
this signature correctly.
  | |o   o| |
      ( )              Chop ANT from its address if e-mailing privately.
Ant
8/22/2015 1:39:32 PM
On 2015-08-22, Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:
>>> What is a good simple/basic screen ruler (to measure pixels on screen)
>>> and graphic editor for Mac OS X v10.10.5 (Yosemite)? This is for a
>>> Windows user who uses old Jasc's Paint Shop Pro, Paint.NET, etc. I tried
>>> a few like Pascal's old Free Ruler, but didn't like them. I am hoping
>>> you guys use better softwares that I haven't discovered yet. Also, is it
>>> me or is there no free screen ruler on Apple's App Store?
>>
>> A pixel measuring screen ruler probably isn't much use in these days of
>> multi-resolution displays and 4K displays. A 1cm long line would have a
>> different number of pixels on various screens.
>>
>> I don't know of any free paint applications, but this page might be
>> worth checking, although some of the apps my not work on newer Mac OS X
>> versions: http://alternativeto.net/software/paintnet/?platform=mac
>>
>> Pixelmator and GraphicConverter are the two graphic apps that most
>> people use (although GraphicConverter isn't great as an editor - it can
>> be frustratingly cumbersome).
>
> Thanks. I'll retry Gimp (used it in Linux, but geez it is difficult and
> complex when I tried it years ago -- maybe it got easier now?

Nope. Still a convoluted mess.

Use a Mac graphics editor with ruler support (most of them have it).
Problem solved.

JR
0
Jolly
8/22/2015 3:24:11 PM
<ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:

> >> What is a good simple/basic screen ruler (to measure pixels on screen)
> >> and graphic editor for Mac OS X v10.10.5 (Yosemite)? This is for a
> >> Windows user who uses old Jasc's Paint Shop Pro, Paint.NET, etc. I tried
> >> a few like Pascal's old Free Ruler, but didn't like them. I am hoping
> >> you guys use better softwares that I haven't discovered yet. Also, is it
> >> me or is there no free screen ruler on Apple's App Store?
> >
> > A pixel measuring screen ruler probably isn't much use in these days of
> > multi-resolution displays and 4K displays. A 1cm long line would have a
> > different number of pixels on various screens.
> >
> > I don't know of any free paint applications, but this page might be
> > worth checking, although some of the apps my not work on newer Mac OS X
> > versions: http://alternativeto.net/software/paintnet/?platform=mac
> >
> > Pixelmator and GraphicConverter are the two graphic apps that most
> > people use (although GraphicConverter isn't great as an editor - it can
> > be frustratingly cumbersome).
>
> Thanks. I'll retry Gimp (used it in Linux, but geez it is difficult and
> complex when I tried it years ago -- maybe it got easier now?), Pinta,
> and SeaShore (it hasn't been updated for years -- I hope it works in
> v10.10.x/Yosemite well). :)

The other option is to go to emulation of old Macs. I'm still using an
old application called "ColorIt!" on my Mac (under Mac OS 9 via
Classic). It should work under the Sheepshaver emulator on Intel Macs.
0
Your
8/23/2015 1:01:01 AM

>>> A pixel measuring screen ruler probably isn't much use in these days of
>>> multi-resolution displays and 4K displays. A 1cm long line would have a
>>> different number of pixels on various screens.
>>>
>>> I don't know of any free paint applications, but this page might be
>>> worth checking, although some of the apps my not work on newer Mac OS X
>>> versions: http://alternativeto.net/software/paintnet/?platform=mac
>>>
>>> Pixelmator and GraphicConverter are the two graphic apps that most
>>> people use (although GraphicConverter isn't great as an editor - it can
>>> be frustratingly cumbersome).
>>
>> Thanks. I'll retry Gimp (used it in Linux, but geez it is difficult and
>> complex when I tried it years ago -- maybe it got easier now?
>
> Nope. Still a convoluted mess.

:(

> Use a Mac graphics editor with ruler support (most of them have it).
> Problem solved.

But I still want a screen ruler to measure stuff on the desktop.
--
"Even the wishes of a small ant reach heaven." --Japanese
this signature correctly.
  | |o   o| |
      ( )              Chop ANT from its address if e-mailing privately.
Ant
8/23/2015 11:45:49 PM
In article <ZoSdnVXHjb-xxkfInZ2dnUU7-V-dnZ2d@earthlink.com>, Ant
<ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:

> >> Thanks. I'll retry Gimp (used it in Linux, but geez it is difficult and
> >> complex when I tried it years ago -- maybe it got easier now?
> >
> > Nope. Still a convoluted mess.
>
> :(
>

> > Use a Mac graphics editor with ruler support (most of them have it).
> > Problem solved.
>
> But I still want a screen ruler to measure stuff on the desktop.

You can always screen grab* and then open that in the graphics app to
measure it ... but as before, pixel measurements aren't much use unless
whatever you're doing is only for your own, current computer.

* Shift-Command-3 gets the whole screen. There are other shortcuts
  to get just a window or a user-defined section of the screen.
0
Your
8/24/2015 1:01:01 AM
On 2015-08-23, Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:

> But I still want a screen ruler to measure stuff on the desktop.

What's wrong with Free Ruler?

Did you look at any of the alternative ruler apps listed on the
MacUpdate "Free Ruler" page?

JR
0
Jolly
8/24/2015 1:13:07 AM
 Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:

> >> Thanks. I'll retry Gimp (used it in Linux, but geez it is difficult and
> >> complex when I tried it years ago -- maybe it got easier now?
> >
> > Nope. Still a convoluted mess.
>
> :(
>

> > Use a Mac graphics editor with ruler support (most of them have it).
> > Problem solved.
>
> But I still want a screen ruler to measure stuff on the desktop.

These were around back in OS 9 days but I haven't seen one for OS X in
quite along time.

I suspect you're SOL.

--
DeeDee, don't press that button!  DeeDee!  NO!  Dee...

Michael
8/24/2015 7:32:43 AM
Michael Vilain <vilain@NOspamcop.net> Wrote in message:

>> > Nope. Still a convoluted mess.
>>
>> :(
>>

>> > Use a Mac graphics editor with ruler support (most of them have it).
>> > Problem solved.
>>
>> But I still want a screen ruler to measure stuff on the desktop.
>
> These were around back in OS 9 days but I haven't seen one for OS X in
> quite along time.
>
> I suspect you're SOL.
>
> --
> DeeDee, don't press that button!  DeeDee!  NO!  Dee...
> [I filter all Goggle Groups posts, so any reply may be automatically ignored]

FWIW: I just tried Free Ruler on SL and it seems to work fine.
 There's a beta for Lion...
--
teleportation kills

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
0
android
8/24/2015 11:55:22 AM
On 2015-08-24, Michael Vilain <vilain@NOspamcop.net> wrote:

> These were around back in OS 9 days but I haven't seen one for OS X in
> quite along time.
>
> I suspect you're SOL.

Then you haven't looked. I have already mentioned that Free Ruler is
available on MacUpdate. And if you were to actually go there and look,
you would see there are several (I counted four at first glance, but
there may be more) alternative ruler apps, all of which appear to run in
OS X.

JR
0
Jolly
8/24/2015 3:37:09 PM
On 2015-08-24, android <here@there.was> wrote:

> FWIW: I just tried Free Ruler on SL and it seems to work fine.

Works fine in Yosemite as well. Ant has said he dislikes something about
it, but hasn't explained what that is. And my suggestions that he look
at the alternatives on MacUpdate hasn't gotten a response.

JR
0
Jolly
8/24/2015 3:38:13 PM
In article <d40s15Fk3goU2@mid.individual.net>,
 Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:

> On 2015-08-24, Michael Vilain <vilain@NOspamcop.net> wrote:
> >
> > These were around back in OS 9 days but I haven't seen one for OS X in
> > quite along time.
> >
> > I suspect you're SOL.
>
> Then you haven't looked. I have already mentioned that Free Ruler is
> available on MacUpdate. And if you were to actually go there and look,
> you would see there are several (I counted four at first glance, but
> there may be more) alternative ruler apps, all of which appear to run in
> OS X.

Yep.  Last I looked was OS 9 days.  It stopped working with 10.4.
Haven't looked for a replacement.  Good to know there are a few.  Thanks.

--
DeeDee, don't press that button!  DeeDee!  NO!  Dee...

Michael
8/26/2015 1:31:25 AM
On 2015-08-26, Michael Vilain <vilain@NOspamcop.net> wrote:
> In article <d40s15Fk3goU2@mid.individual.net>,
>  Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2015-08-24, Michael Vilain <vilain@NOspamcop.net> wrote:
>> >
>> > These were around back in OS 9 days but I haven't seen one for OS X in
>> > quite along time.
>> >
>> > I suspect you're SOL.
>>
>> Then you haven't looked. I have already mentioned that Free Ruler is
>> available on MacUpdate. And if you were to actually go there and look,
>> you would see there are several (I counted four at first glance, but
>> there may be more) alternative ruler apps, all of which appear to run in
>> OS X.
>
> Yep.  Last I looked was OS 9 days.  It stopped working with 10.4.
> Haven't looked for a replacement.  Good to know there are a few.  Thanks.

No prob. Sorry my frustration with Ant spilled over into my reply to
you. : ) BTW, Free Ruler does seem to run just fine for me in Yosemite.

JR
0
Jolly
> > But I still want a screen ruler to measure stuff on the desktop.

> What's wrong with Free Ruler?

I cannot detach the two rules (horizontal and vertical). I just one
ruler at a time, no transparency effects, etc.

> Did you look at any of the alternative ruler apps listed on the
> MacUpdate "Free Ruler" page?

Not on that web site. I'll look later.
--
Quote of the Week: "The general, unable to control his irritation, will
launch his men to the assault like swarming ants, with the result that
On 2015-08-28, Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:
>> > But I still want a screen ruler to measure stuff on the desktop.
>
>> What's wrong with Free Ruler?
>
> I cannot detach the two rules (horizontal and vertical). I just one
> ruler at a time, no transparency effects, etc.

The first bullet on the MacUpdate page for Free Ruler says:

"A horizontal and vertical ruler which can be used independently or
simultaneously."

I just downloaded and ran it and was able to easily hide the vertical
ruler by clicking the close button. You can also do it from the Ruler
menu on the menu bar.

JR
0
Jolly
8/28/2015 5:41:26 PM

> >> What's wrong with Free Ruler?
> >
> > I cannot detach the two rules (horizontal and vertical). I just one
> > ruler at a time, no transparency effects, etc.

> The first bullet on the MacUpdate page for Free Ruler says:

> "A horizontal and vertical ruler which can be used independently or
> simultaneously."

> I just downloaded and ran it and was able to easily hide the vertical
> ruler by clicking the close button. You can also do it from the Ruler
> menu on the menu bar.

Interesting that close does that. I was expecting exiting Free Ruler. Is
it me or is the hide and unhide options buggy? But then this is from
2007. I don't think it works well in Mac OS X v10.10.5/Yosemite. :/
--
Quote of the Week: "The general, unable to control his irritation, will
launch his men to the assault like swarming ants, with the result that
one-third of his men are slain, while the town still remains untaken.
Such are the disastrous effects of a siege." --Chapter 3 in Sun Tzu's
The Ancient Art of War (Translated by Lionel Giles)
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
 / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o   o| |
   \ _ /    Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail privately. If credit-
    ( )     ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
0
ANTant
8/28/2015 7:00:42 PM
Wandering in sideways, as I do now and again: there used to be a scale of
miles and kilometers in some map app I used, but I don't see it in any.
Was it eliminated or am I (again) missing somethong?
--
biblioholic medievalist
0
 Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:

> What is a good simple/basic screen ruler (to measure pixels on screen)

What is it that you want to do with such a ruler? Is it to measure on
one home screen (which you can easily know the res of and roll your
own ruler for) or is it for something portable for different screens
with different resolutions?

--
dorayme
0
 Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:

> But I still want a screen ruler to measure stuff on the desktop.

You can roll your own. You know the resolution of your monitor. Make a
low height horiz img with pixel dimensions marked. You can move it
about to see how wide various other things are on the dt. Ditto a thin
vertical one. If it is just your dt, make a stiff paper couple of
rulers and hold them in turn to your screen to get the dimensions of
whatever...

--
dorayme
0
> > What is a good simple/basic screen ruler (to measure pixels on screen)

> What is it that you want to do with such a ruler? Is it to measure on
> one home screen (which you can easily know the res of and roll your
> own ruler for) or is it for something portable for different screens
> with different resolutions?

Yes, but measure parts on the screen like icons, graphics,
(font/text)s, etc.
--
Quote of the Week: "... Alice's honesty felt like fire ants on his
skin..." --Dilbert's 7/12/2015 comic strip's panel #4
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
 / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o   o| |
   \ _ /    Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail privately. If credit-
    ( )     ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
0
ANTant
8/30/2015 10:24:46 PM
In article <ae6dnfKtyNczH37InZ2dnUU7-QWdnZ2d@earthlink.com>, Ant
<ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:

> > > What is a good simple/basic screen ruler (to measure pixels on screen)
> >
> > What is it that you want to do with such a ruler? Is it to measure on
> > one home screen (which you can easily know the res of and roll your
> > own ruler for) or is it for something portable for different screens
> > with different resolutions?
>
> Yes, but measure parts on the screen like icons, graphics,
> (font/text)s, etc.

As before and above ... different screens with different resolutions
will give different measurements. So that makes measuring things
on-screen with a pixel ruler is pretty pointless (literally) these
days.
0
Your
8/31/2015 1:01:01 AM
On 2015-08-30, Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:
>> > What is a good simple/basic screen ruler (to measure pixels on screen)
>
>> What is it that you want to do with such a ruler? Is it to measure on
>> one home screen (which you can easily know the res of and roll your
>> own ruler for) or is it for something portable for different screens
>> with different resolutions?
>
> Yes, but measure parts on the screen like icons, graphics,
> (font/text)s, etc.

That seems to be exactly what Free Ruler does.

JR
0
Jolly
8/31/2015 1:13:22 AM
On 2015-08-31, Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:

>> > What is it that you want to do with such a ruler? Is it to measure on
>> > one home screen (which you can easily know the res of and roll your
>> > own ruler for) or is it for something portable for different screens
>> > with different resolutions?
>>
>> Yes, but measure parts on the screen like icons, graphics,
>> (font/text)s, etc.
>
> As before and above ... different screens with different resolutions
> will give different measurements. So that makes measuring things
> on-screen with a pixel ruler is pretty pointless (literally) these
> days.

Free Ruler at least lets you specify the dpi of the ruler.

JR
0
Jolly
8/31/2015 1:20:23 AM
 ANTant@zimage.com (Ant) wrote:

> > > What is a good simple/basic screen ruler (to measure pixels on screen)
>
> > What is it that you want to do with such a ruler? Is it to measure on
> > one home screen (which you can easily know the res of and roll your
> > own ruler for) or is it for something portable for different screens
> > with different resolutions?
>
> Yes, but measure parts on the screen like icons, graphics,
> (font/text)s, etc.

For icons you can tell from the Finder view menu since they are under
your control. Look at Show View Options... For jpgs and other images,
you can tell from Get Info and in other ways in imag software. For
graphics in the process of being made, you can usually use img
software ruler built into the program, Illustrator for example. For
windows, it is a bit trickier but there would surely be terminal ways.

An Applescript way might be something like first put the window you
want to measure as a front one, (click on it) and then go to the
script editor and run

tell application "Finder" to get the bounds of the front window

and it will give you coordinates and from there you could work it out
or write more script to do the maths (or math as Americans like to
say, sounds strange to me!).

As for other things (including widows), a low tech solution of sorts:

For width make a simple graphic of a ruler with your resolution built
into the dimensions, one for height, one for width.

For example, you can make a very thin vertical ruler image and drag it
over a browser window. It will go to the far left by default. You can
then drag many other objects over the browser window, right over to
near the ruler markings and get the height. Similar thing with
vertical.

You could combine both images on the one web browser viewport and then
you would have both dimensions in the one viewport as a ruler for
both. Either by making a combined image or putting the two as
background on an HTML doc and dragging that over a browser window.

If you need help constructing any of these things, just give a shout.
Oh, and don't forget to not show me in any reply, you would not want
to be seen too closely associating with me. I quite understand.

--
dorayme
0
<do_ray_me@bigpond.com> wrote:

<snip>

> As for other things (including widows), a low tech solution of sorts:
>
> For width make a simple graphic of a ruler with your resolution built
> into the dimensions, one for height, one for width.
>
> For example, you can make a very thin vertical ruler image and drag it
> over a browser window. It will go to the far left by default. You can
> then drag many other objects over the browser window, right over to
> near the ruler markings and get the height. Similar thing with
> vertical.
>
> You could combine both images on the one web browser viewport and then
> you would have both dimensions in the one viewport as a ruler for
> both. Either by making a combined image or putting the two as
> background on an HTML doc and dragging that over a browser window.
>
> If you need help constructing any of these things, just give a shout.
> Oh, and don't forget to not show me in any reply, you would not want
> to be seen too closely associating with me. I quite understand.

Take a screen grab (Shift-Apple-3), load that into pretty much any
graphic editor and either just crop it to the object or measure it with
whatever tools available (for example, my old version of ColorIt! tells
you the size of the selction, so just selecting something give you the
size). At worst, you could zoom in and physically count the pixels.
0
Your
8/31/2015 4:25:14 AM
In article <310820151625147798%YourName@YourISP.com>,
 Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:

> In article <do_ray_me-DA60B8.11431531082015@aioe.org>, dorayme
> <do_ray_me@bigpond.com> wrote:
> >
> <snip>
> >
> > As for other things (including widows), a low tech solution of sorts:
> >
> > For width make a simple graphic of a ruler with your resolution built
> > into the dimensions, one for height, one for width.
> >
> > For example, you can make a very thin vertical ruler image and drag it
> > over a browser window. It will go to the far left by default. You can
> > then drag many other objects over the browser window, right over to
> > near the ruler markings and get the height. Similar thing with
> > vertical.
> >
> > You could combine both images on the one web browser viewport and then
> > you would have both dimensions in the one viewport as a ruler for
> > both. Either by making a combined image or putting the two as
> > background on an HTML doc and dragging that over a browser window.
> >
> > If you need help constructing any of these things, just give a shout.
> > Oh, and don't forget to not show me in any reply, you would not want
> > to be seen too closely associating with me. I quite understand.
>
> Take a screen grab (Shift-Apple-3), load that into pretty much any
> graphic editor and either just crop it to the object or measure it with
> whatever tools available (for example, my old version of ColorIt! tells
> you the size of the selction, so just selecting something give you the
> size). At worst, you could zoom in and physically count the pixels.

Well, not a bad idea! But Shift Command 4 is the one needed. Then,
when it lands on the desktop (can be arranged), just Command I to get
info on it, the pixels wide and high are given.

--
dorayme
0
> > > As for other things (including widows), a low tech solution of sorts:
> > >
> > > For width make a simple graphic of a ruler with your resolution built
> > > into the dimensions, one for height, one for width.
> > >
> > > For example, you can make a very thin vertical ruler image and drag it
> > > over a browser window. It will go to the far left by default. You can
> > > then drag many other objects over the browser window, right over to
> > > near the ruler markings and get the height. Similar thing with
> > > vertical.
> > >
> > > You could combine both images on the one web browser viewport and then
> > > you would have both dimensions in the one viewport as a ruler for
> > > both. Either by making a combined image or putting the two as
> > > background on an HTML doc and dragging that over a browser window.
> > >
> > > If you need help constructing any of these things, just give a shout.
> > > Oh, and don't forget to not show me in any reply, you would not want
> > > to be seen too closely associating with me. I quite understand.
> >
> > Take a screen grab (Shift-Apple-3), load that into pretty much any
> > graphic editor and either just crop it to the object or measure it with
> > whatever tools available (for example, my old version of ColorIt! tells
> > you the size of the selction, so just selecting something give you the
> > size). At worst, you could zoom in and physically count the pixels.

> Well, not a bad idea! But Shift Command 4 is the one needed. Then,
> when it lands on the desktop (can be arranged), just Command I to get
> info on it, the pixels wide and high are given.

The way I have is I have multiple screen rulers all over my desktop
measuring parts for one image. It is like drafting or something. :/
--
Quote of the Week: "... Alice's honesty felt like fire ants on his
skin..." --Dilbert's 7/12/2015 comic strip's panel #4
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
 / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o   o| |
   \ _ /    Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail privately. If credit-
    ( )     ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
0
ANTant
8/31/2015 5:32:24 AM
In article <do_ray_me-EF5C97.15174431082015@aioe.org>, dorayme
<do_ray_me@bigpond.com> wrote:

> > Take a screen grab (Shift-Apple-3), load that into pretty much any
> > graphic editor and either just crop it to the object or measure it with
> > whatever tools available (for example, my old version of ColorIt! tells
> > you the size of the selction, so just selecting something give you the
> > size). At worst, you could zoom in and physically count the pixels.
>
> Well, not a bad idea! But Shift Command 4 is the one needed. Then,
> when it lands on the desktop (can be arranged), just Command I to get
> info on it, the pixels wide and high are given.

not only that, but it shows the number of pixels as you drag out the
rectangle.
0
nospam
8/31/2015 5:32:04 PM
In article <310820151332045073%nospam@nospam.invalid>,
 nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> In article <do_ray_me-EF5C97.15174431082015@aioe.org>, dorayme
> <do_ray_me@bigpond.com> wrote:
>
> > > Take a screen grab (Shift-Apple-3), load that into pretty much any
> > > graphic editor and either just crop it to the object or measure it with
> > > whatever tools available (for example, my old version of ColorIt! tells
> > > you the size of the selction, so just selecting something give you the
> > > size). At worst, you could zoom in and physically count the pixels.
> >
> > Well, not a bad idea! But Shift Command 4 is the one needed. Then,
> > when it lands on the desktop (can be arranged), just Command I to get
> > info on it, the pixels wide and high are given.
>
> not only that, but it shows the number of pixels as you drag out the
> rectangle.

So it does! By gad, this should surely then solve the problem.

--
dorayme
0

Hi all, Yet another Graphviz version. The old application icon had been voted off the island, and brand new application and document icons flown in for the task. Comprehensive help features in this version too. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ What's new: ------------ Added new application and document icons. Added comprehensive help. Fixed changes not affecting graph size displaying incorrectly [BTr]. Fixed export then close crashing the export of an open window. Improved shadowed frame for graph [NRi]. Improved status display [NRi]. Changed sources to pure BSD license. Cheers, Gl...

[ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8)
Hi all, It's been a busy week or two at Pixelglow Software. Here's a brand new version of Graphviz, all spit and polish now. You'll enjoy the integrated color and font panel support, hand cursor panning and remembered settings. And everyone's most asked for -- a single click on the Edit tool will now bring up the DOT code for you to edit, and of course when you save it the graph automatically re-renders. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/download/ Here's the lowdown: Added edit, render and stop toolbar items [PCh]. Added integrated font and color fields and panels. Adde...

[ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.13 (v13) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8)
Dear All, I've just released the newest version of Mac Graphviz, featuring shapefile support and enhanced zoom. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ Shapefiles supported include PDF, EPS, PS, JPEG, PNG and all Quicktime formats. Either specify an absolute or relative (to working directory) file path, or a URL using the shapefile attribute. Developers can now also use the graphviz.framework directly with #include headers in C e.g. using Xcode "Add Frameworks..."; documentation is available from the main Graphviz site -- http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/graphviz/libguide.pdf...

Dear All: Them pesky bugs. A few more squashed courtesy of the sleepy pixel. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ What's new in v11 ------------ Fixed some comprehensive help [NRi]. Fixed scale option placeholder [NRi]. Improved application and document icons. Example files now double-click to open in application. What's new in v12 ------------ Added layout option tooltips [NRi]. Fixed layout popup button changing wrong graph [MKe]. Clicking on warning icon now opens Activity window [NRi, AM]. Revert menu item now disabled. Cheers, Glen Low --- pixelglow software | simply brillian...

[9fans] native graphics drawterm on Mac OS X

PDF to EPS workarounds for Mac OS X Attention TeXy, TeXy peoples: PDF to EPS workarounds for Mac OS X Attention TeXy, TeXy peoples: PDF to EPS workarounds for Mac OS X Attention TeXy, TeXy
Attention TeXy, TeXy peoples: (excuse the mispronunciation; punny licence) It seems that Mac OS X has partially documented issues (http://altair.ific.uv.es/~JaxoDraw/Bugparade/bugparade.htm, http://developer.apple.com/java/faq/issues.html#anchor6) with the generation of EPS, and I'm trying to find a workaround. The Preview application cannot export to eps, but it can read it (converting it to PDF). If I use Adobe Acrobat to read the PDF generated by Preview, the EPS it generates sometimes (inconsistently) causes dvips to make an unreadable file. What I'm trying to do is the followi...

Your Mac won't start up in Mac OS X (Mac OS X 10.3.9 or earlier)
Your Mac won't start up in Mac OS X (Mac OS X 10.3.9 or earlier) Nothing can be more frustrating than turning on your Mac only to find that it won't start up. Instead of seeing the Finder, you see a blue or gray screen, an icon of a broken folder, a kernel panic, a flashing question mark, or a computer that just sits there. What can you do? Don't worry. It could be a simple issue that you can fix yourself. Note: This article applies to Mac OS X 10.3.9 or earlier. Tip: If your computer won't start at all, skip to "You see a blank, gray screen" below. The first step ...

Mac OS X & Mac OS X Server
Hi, I'm currently using a 9i developer release on Mac OS X (10.3) which has proved very stable so far. My understanding of the various Oracle press releases is that 10G will be released for Mac OS X, are there any beta testers out there wiling to comment on availabilitu/quality/performance issues for 10G on Mac OS X? Another question is whether tools such as the OEM will be available in 10G for Mac OS X, does anybody know? Yours in anticipation! Steve Steve <steve@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<2004013008345616807%steve@nospamcom>... > releases is that 10G wil...

Mac OS 9.x included in Mac OS X?
Hi, I read that Mac OS X has a so-called classic mode which emulates Mac OS 9.x so that older applications can still be run. Provided one is not an upgrader from Mac OS 9.x, does Mac OS X include Mac OS 9.x required for the classic mode or does it have to be bought separately? Peter >Provided one is not an upgrader from Mac OS 9.x, does Mac OS X include >Mac OS 9.x required for the classic mode or does it have to be bought >separately? If you buy the installer for OS X it *does not* include OS 9. You generally use the copy of OS 9 that came with your computer in order to install C...

X-windows display of Mathematica graphics run remotely on Mac OS X machine
I have Mathematica 5.0 installed on Mac OS X from a CD. I know I can ssh to my machine and run Mathematica on the command-line using /Applications/Mathematica\ 5.0.app/Contents/MacOS/MathKernel. If the machine I'm ssh-ing from has X-windows capability and I use X-forwarding when I ssh, is it possible to have Mathematica display graphics? I poked a little around the documentation and various files, and it seems that to do this I need SystemFiles/Graphics/Motif.m and/or SystemFiles/Graphics/X11.m and motifps and probably more, none of which comes with the standard OS X distributio...

MAC OS X Vector Graphics
Hello All: I have been considering developing an app for the MAC. I have been learning Cocoa as its pretty neat. My app is going to do alot of Vector graphics. I also just ran accross realbasic and it looks like it can really reduce coding time. (Cocoa is alot more complex). Here are my questions: 1.) Has anyone compared drawing speed of real basic to a Cocoa app? 2.) Does real basic support transpanency (Alpha Channel) in the its vector graphics? 3.) Overall, how does real basic compare to Cocoa in terms of execution speed of a compiled APP? 4.) Does Real basic suppor...

You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume. Mac OS X cannot start up from this volume.
Hi Group, Decided to reinstall OSX today on my MAC Book. _ Boy was this a mistake_ I booted off the DVD and changed the partition setup to two instead of one using the disk utility program. Selected MAC OSX Extended Journaled for both paritions. Now in the installer when I come to select the drive to install on I get the message "You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume. Mac OS X cannot start up from this volume." There is a red explaination mark on the drive. I have reboot, reformatted the drive back one parition using the disk util program and I still have the same proble...

Re: X-windows display of Mathematica graphics run remotely on Mac OS X machine
on 08/12/03 4:43 AM, Lot-o-fun at lotofun@hotmail.com wrote: > I have Mathematica 5.0 installed on Mac OS X from a CD. I know I can > ssh to my machine and run Mathematica on the command-line using > /Applications/Mathematica\ 5.0.app/Contents/MacOS/MathKernel. If the > machine I'm ssh-ing from has X-windows capability and I use > X-forwarding when I ssh, is it possible to have Mathematica display > graphics? I poked a little around the documentation and various files, > and it seems that to do this I need SystemFiles/Graphics/Motif.m and/or > SystemFil...

Hi. Someone told me that Mac OS X 10.7.x and 10.8.x do not come with iLife like the older Mac OS X versions (e.g., 10.5.x). I did not know this! Since my client uses iPhoto that came preinstalled on his old 2008 MacBook Pro's Mac OS X 10.5.x (10.5.8 right now), can he use the old one from 10.5.8? Or will he need a third party replacement (needs to import/copy the old image files) or buy a new iPhoto version for his photo(graph)s? I recalled he did not like iPhoto and wonder if the new one is any better. Thank you in advance. :) -- Quote of the Week: "Every ruler...

Web resources about - Simple/basic free screen ruler and graphic editor for Mac OS X? - comp.sys.mac.graphics

Graphics Interchange Format - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Graphics Interchange Format ( GIF ; / ˈ dʒ ɪ f / or / ˈ ɡ ɪ f / ) is a bitmap image format that was introduced by CompuServe in 1987 and ...

GDDR5X Standard Finalized by JEDEC: New Graphics Memory up to 14 Gbps
... GDDR5X specification , with accompianing white papers. This is the memory specification which is expected to be used for next-generation graphics ...

Graphics cards with 1024GB/s bandwidth? Samsung begins HBM2 production
... to 256 gigabytes-per-second (GB/sec) of available bandwidth per memory stack—double that of the first generation HBM used in AMD's Fury graphics ...

Silicon Graphics Pre-Announces FYQ2 Rev, EPS Beat
Shares of Silicon Graphics (SGI) are down 2 cents at $4.72 in late trading, after the company this afternoon pre-announced fiscal Q2 revenue ...

GRAPHIC CONTENT: Massive Bloodshed in Battle to Capture El Chapo
When Mexican authorities moved in to arrest famed drug lord Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman Loera they were met with heavy resistance by his security ...

Intel sees integrated graphics catching up with discrete chips
If you're a casual or mainstream gamer, you don't need a discrete graphics card, Intel says. Instead, look at integrated graphics, which are ...

Graphic Novel ‘The Time Museum’ Latest Broad Green Deal
EXCLUSIVE : Broad Green has acquired the graphic novel series The Time Museum for Josephson Entertainment’s Barry Josephson and Liz Bassin to ...

Morphing Braille tablets offer graphics to the blind
... to navigate a phone or tablet if you're blind, but that doesn't really answer all your needs. What if you need to read charts or other graphics? ...

'Deadpool' Denied Release in China Due to Graphic Violence
The Ryan Reynolds anti-superhero movie has been denied permission to screen in the world's second-largest movie market.

Dell gives XPS 13 a graphics upgrade and new gold option
Dell's aluminum-clad XPS 13 with its Infinity Display will be getting a graphics bump.