Which card? Radeon or nVidia

A new MDD is in the near future for us. The graphics card options for
the BTO are the ATI Radeon 9000 Pro and the nVidia GeForce4 Titanium.
Which would probably the best in terms of longevity and usefullness. We
are moderate gamers and the monitor that they would be connected to is
a 17" Sony Multiscan 200ES. I can't login into the xlr8yourmac graphics
discussion board to post my query but reading it regularly the
contributors seem to favor the ATI brand. Currently, I'm using the
Radeon 7000 in my G3/G4 hybrid. Whatcha ya'll think? Thanks.

--
Deja Moo: I've seen this bullshit before.

My address has been anti-spammed.
Please reply to: scasse@invalid.net replacing the invalid with sonic.

0
otto (208)
7/31/2003 4:52:56 PM
comp.sys.mac.graphics 482 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 09:52:56 -0700, Otto Pylot
<otto@bogus.address.invalid> wrote:

>A new MDD is in the near future for us. The graphics card options for
>the BTO are the ATI Radeon 9000 Pro and the nVidia GeForce4 Titanium.
>Which would probably the best in terms of longevity and usefullness. We
>are moderate gamers and the monitor that they would be connected to is
>a 17" Sony Multiscan 200ES. I can't login into the xlr8yourmac graphics
>discussion board to post my query but reading it regularly the
>contributors seem to favor the ATI brand. Currently, I'm using the
>Radeon 7000 in my G3/G4 hybrid. Whatcha ya'll think? Thanks.

The GF4Ti is vastly faster, but the Radeon 9700/9800 is/are even
faster - consider that for any new Mac you buy.
0
foo460 (2162)
8/1/2003 1:10:19 AM
In article <uifjiv0014gkel7qr9tp6dpf6eqte9ptvj@4ax.com>, foo
<foo@bar.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 09:52:56 -0700, Otto Pylot
> <otto@bogus.address.invalid> wrote:
>
> >A new MDD is in the near future for us. The graphics card options for
> >the BTO are the ATI Radeon 9000 Pro and the nVidia GeForce4 Titanium.
> >Which would probably the best in terms of longevity and usefullness. We
> >are moderate gamers and the monitor that they would be connected to is
> >a 17" Sony Multiscan 200ES. I can't login into the xlr8yourmac graphics
> >discussion board to post my query but reading it regularly the
> >contributors seem to favor the ATI brand. Currently, I'm using the
> >Radeon 7000 in my G3/G4 hybrid. Whatcha ya'll think? Thanks.
>
> The GF4Ti is vastly faster, but the Radeon 9700/9800 is/are even
> faster - consider that for any new Mac you buy.

That seems to be the feeling on the xlr8yourmac site as well. The 9800
is a bit pricey right now. Seems that my best bet would be to get it
with the stock Radeon and then look into the 9700. Thanks.

--
Deja Moo: I've seen this bullshit before.

My address has been anti-spammed.
Please reply to: scasse@invalid.net replacing the invalid with sonic.

0
otto (208)

Graphic cards: "ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO" v "NVIDIA GeForce 9400M"
We have to order an iMac for our nephew's promised graduation gift and two models at Apple's refurb store appear to fit his needs and our budget. The models seem almost identical, even down to their 999 price, except for the graphic cards. The two respective cards are- ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256 MB memory NVIDIA GeForce 9400M with 256 MB memory As far as I can see this is the only difference. If you have the experience or an opinion, is one of these better for photo/video use than the other? I mean, we do need to make a choice somehow and I am trying to find some basis. Tha...

2nd hand Nvidia Geforce 6600 Graphics Upgrade Kit or Ati Radeon 9600 PRO PC & Mac Edition.
Looking for: 2nd hand Nvidia Geforce 6600 Graphics Upgrade Kit or Ati Radeon 9600 PRO PC & Mac Edition. Our desktop is a Power Mac Dual G5 A1047 using current damaged card to display via a DVi to ADC convertor to a 23" Apple HD Cinema display. It's a replacement for a faulty board that has a fried ADC connection, & I think the card may one day reach its end of days. Thanks PS: Please note the G5 Power Mac requirements County: Meath Keywords: Power Mac G5 AGP PC-X bus ati nvidia FX 5200 6600 6800 7300 7600 7800 Cards ...

2nd hand Nvidia Geforce 6600 Graphics Upgrade Kit or Ati Radeon 9600 PRO PC & Mac Edition
Looking for 2nd hand Nvidia Geforce 6600 Graphics Upgrade Kit or Ati Radeon 9600 PRO PC & Mac Edition. Our desktop is a Power Mac Dual G5 A1047 using current damaged card to display via the DVi to ADC to a 23" Apple HD Cinema display. It's a replacement for a faulty board that has a fried ADC connection that I feel will one day reach its end of days. PS: Please note the G5 Power Mac requirements County: Meath Keywords: Power Mac G5 AGP PC-X bus ati nvidia FX 5200 6600 6800 7300 7600 7800 Cards ...

Nvidia Graphics Cards
Hi - we use SW2007 in our UK based Medical Product design consultancy, looking to upgrade to 2008. We will need to replace our aging PC's with something newer, but our budget is tight. Some of the new Dell Vostro machines look tempting for the price - and come with nVidia GeForce8600 256Mb Graphics Cards nVidia market the GeForce range for games and photo apps, and the Quadro for CAD Solidworks website review of graphics cards recommends nVidia's Quadro range of cards - smaller Geforces have been run, but with limitations Does anyone have experience of running Solidworks on a...

Video Cards: Radeon x600 Vs Radeon 9700 Vs Nvidia Go 5700
Which one's better? I am assuming the two ATI's are similar but are there any benchmarks out there that compares these graphics processors? A reply would haev been good.. Fuktards! Gaz wrote: > Which one's better? > > I am assuming the two ATI's are similar > > but are there any benchmarks out there that compares these graphics > processors? ...

JOGL on a Radeon Graphics Card
Hello, Has anyone else has problems getting JOGL to work on a Radeon graphics card? I've set up JOGL with JBuilderX without problems on a couple NVidia machines. But, both me and my colleague experienced problems with Radeon cards. In particular, the Radeon Mobility 9000 and the Radeon 9250 (desktop). The problem occurs when the AWT window frame gets input from the user. It often hangs and is very jerky, especially for programs that require continous input from the mouse. These programs are fine on NVidia PCs and laptops. I've tried using the latest drivers and vers...

Nvidia Graphics Card Problem
I am running windows 2000 with a Shuttle MV43N motherboard. When I try to install a Nvidia Geforce 5200 Ultra graphics card, I get a blue screen of death right after the windows 2000 loading screen disappears (the one with the logo and the blue bar moving at the bottom). When the other windows 2000 loading screen appears (the black one with the white bar at the bottom), there are black vertical lines running through the screen. This card was working before but now it does not. I have tried pulling the card out and inserting it again and changing the BIOS settings (IRQ, AGP speed, apature size)...

Problems with a Radeon 7000 Graphics Card
I have the above card installed in my machine and it was working fine unil recently, when the hardware acceleration just stopped working. When i do a dxdiag it says the driver for the card is not functioning correctly. I have installed the card and driver(newest available version) and it is still in the same condition. The manufacturer is of no help. My system is a bit dated, its a HP Vectra VL400 P3 1ghz, running win98. If anyone has experienced a similar problem some advice would be great. Cheers Brinner ...

Mac Pro Graphics: ATI or Nvidia or what?
I'm very curious what the Mac Pro owners think of their GPUs--- especially those of you who also use your Mac Pros for some gaming. I've read some nice things about the Nvidia 8800 GT, which is an alternative Mac Pro configuration. But I've also heard some not-so-nice things and wonder if the firmware update from Apple corrected all the issues. I'm getting the impression that the graphics cards are going out of date pretty fast these days. Many new games seem to spec the max in terms of equipment. My daughter's 2 GHz Intel iMac isn't even a year old yet ...

Nvidia NVS 280 Graphic card
Hi Anybody knows if this is suitable for SW, can't find any info on the SW web.site Krister L Sorry guys.. Got some help and found the old thread from beginning of last year Krister L "Krister L" <krister_landNOSPAMkvist@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:2s4k3kF1e9303U1@uni-berlin.de... > Hi > > Anybody knows if this is suitable for SW, can't find any info on the SW > web.site > > Krister L > > ...

Sapphire Radeon 9200 Graphics card
Hi. I have a 256Mb version of this card. Is it possible to tweak it in some way to increase performance, perhaps using an eeprom flash? I regularly play Medal Of Honor and have a frame-per-second rate of approx 47. For a 256Mb card I would have expected better. I currently run a 1300Mhz Duron CPU with 512Mb Crucial CL2 SDRAM on a PC Chips 810 Mobo. Shortly upgrading to a 2200XP on a Syntax s266A Mobo using the existing SDRAM. I also have a Win98SE installation on a Seagate Barracuda and also an Win XP Pro installation on a Maxtor, mounted in caddies. I can descern no fps difference between ...

Wildfire and Nvidia graphics card problem.
Runnning Wildfire on Windows 2000, Dell 450, 2.4 Ghz, P4 Xeon, 1 Gig ram with Nvidia FX1000, 128 meg Vram graphics card. We have loaded Nvidia 4471 drivers (has a Wildfire setting) disk cashe set at 4 Gig. The problem is models disappear in shaded display mode (the default in Wildfire) The shaded image will diappear on a simple model after working for while, and on assemblies some of the parts disappear. They will highlight if you pass the cursser over them, and the reappear if we change to one of the line draw modes ie: hidden lines gray, or wire frame or no hidden lines. Screen...

problem with OpenGL and NVidia graphics card
Hi, I've recently installed Matlab 7 R14 (without SP1) on my Compaq Presario WinXP. When I start Matlab, the prompt appears briefly and then the program shuts down without an error message. Haing read many existing posts, it seems the problem may be due to OpenGL and my NVidia GeForce 4 card. I have tried the following solutions but without any success: - updated video drivers - closed matlab web server - switched off video acceleration - launched with -nojvm option - renamed glren.dll and .csf files Unfortunately none of these solve the problem. Does anyone one have any other suggestions...

Problems with a Radeon 7000 Graphics Card
I have the above card installed in my machine and it was working fine unil recently, when the hardware acceleration just stopped working. When i do a dxdiag it says the driver for the card is not functioning correctly. I have installed the card and driver(newest available version) and it is still in the same condition. The manufacturer is of no help. My system is a bit dated, its a HP Vectra VL400 P3 1ghz, running win98. If anyone has experienced a similar problem some advice would be great. Cheers Brinner ...

vivo ports on nvidia graphics cards
has anyone had any luck in making use of the video in/video out ports on nvidia cards in linux? I know that the xfree drivers will make use of the video out to send a second display to the TV but I'm more interested in whether support exists for video capture using the video in of these cards. ...

Sapphire Radeon 9200 Graphics card
Hi. I have a 256Mb version of this card. Is it possible to tweak it in some way to increase performance, perhaps using an eeprom flash? I regularly play Medal Of Honor and have a frame-per-second rate of approx 47. For a 256Mb card I would have expected better. I currently run a 1300Mhz Duron CPU with 512Mb Crucial CL2 SDRAM on a PC Chips 810 Mobo. Shortly upgrading to a 2200XP on a Syntax s266A Mobo using the existing SDRAM. I also have a Win98SE installation on a Seagate Barracuda and also an Win XP Pro installation on a Maxtor, mounted in caddies. I can descern no fps difference between ...

The curious case of the Nvidia graphics card...
Linux mint MATE 17.2 I 'found' a solution, but amn puzzled as to how it all came to pass. What happened was, that as a result of some possibly power weirdnesses I ended up with a very strangely acting motherboard. So I had to rebuild my backup machine, and in the process removed the Nvidia 210 GFX from the stuffed MB to use in the backup. As well as re boot drive from the stuffed machine. All booted fine except the system would not recognise the monitor size. I tried using the nouveau driver. No better. I tried using other Nvidia drivers. No better. In the end ...

Boot TOS404 with the Radeon graphic card
Hi, I have updated my PCI story... http://perso.orange.fr/didierm/ct60/ctpci-e.htm The next step is to test the VDI part rewrited inside the TOS. Regards, Didier -- Didier MEQUIGNON Aniplayer download: http://aniplay.atari.org CT60 package download: http://ct60conf.atari.org Congratulations!!! You are our magician ;) Didier M=E9quignon wrote: > Hi, > > I have updated my PCI story... > > http://perso.orange.fr/didierm/ct60/ctpci-e.htm > > The next step is to test the VDI part rewrited inside the TOS. > > Regards, > > Didier > > -- > Didier MEQUIGNON Aniplayer download: http://aniplay.atari.org > CT60 package download: http://ct60conf.atari.org w poscie 1151564612.205526.202790@x69g2000cwx.googlegroups.com, Joe Iron od vas.jozsef@karatnet.hu napisal 29-06-06 9:03: > Congratulations!!! You are our magician ;) > Yeh! Keep goin! Greetz Pawel Kaznowski ...

Mac vs PC Graphics Cards
Hi, I'm in the market for a new graphics card for my old G4 466 (Digital Audio) "Clockwork". I've looked around, and noticed that while most ATI cards seem to come as special "Mac Edition" cards, there seem to be nVidia cards that don't distinguish between Mac and PC cards. Am I mistaken? If not, why is this so? How "portable" are Graphics cards? Any clues would be greatly appreciated. Cheers, -- M. Uli Kusterer http://www.zathras.de In article <witness-B10AA9.16063207022005@news.t-online.com>, Uli Kusterer <witnes...

Java3D and NVidia RIVA TNT graphics card
I'm using a Dell Dimension PC with Win98 and a NVidia RIVA TNT graphics card. After loading Java3D 1.3 and attempting to load HelloUniverse.html, I get: "No compatible device found, please switch to other display mode and try again." The bottom bar of the IE window displays: "exception:java.lang.NullPointerException: Canvas 3D: null GraphicConfiguration" I tried different combinations of 32 bit color vs. 16 bit color, and Java3D DirectX vs. Java3D OpenGL. Any clues? Thanks, gc ...

Flashing xx70 Radeon cards for Mac Pro
I know that I can get a 4870 video card and flash it to work in my MacPro (I've found numerous places on the Internet detailing how to do this, it's trivial). What I am curious about is if this will work with other xx70 cards lie the 4270, 4670, or 5670? The 5670 is quite tempting as it is significantly less power draw than a 4870, a lot cheaper, and only a little bit slower. My understanding is that the nvidia drivers for the entire x70 line are the same, so... Anyone? Anyone? Beuller? -- 'Does he have people put to death?' said Mort. SOMETIMES. THERE ARE SOME THINGS YOU...

NVIDIA-Quadro Graphic cards with Wildfire
I bought some new workstations with Quadro 750XGL and FX1100 graphic cards and I have big problems with it. With Proe2001 everything works fine but with Wildfire it is a mess. Spinning and zooming doesn�t work properly (steps), and to open assemblies takes much longer in Wildfire. I have the newest drivers and the right openGL setting for Wildfire. When I set the config.pro option "spin_with_part_entities" to "no" everything is much better, but I need to have this option set to "yes". Does anybody has any experiance with this cards? Thanks in adva...

What's All These Problems with Nvidia Graphics Cards?
This was an ongoing problem with previous versions of Paint Shop Pro. There were incompatibility issues with Nvidia. It appears (with all the Nvidia discussions here) that compatibility issues still exist in Paint Shop Pro 9. Uni "Uni" <no.email@no.email.invalid> wrote in message news:Uzo%d.5792883$f47.1056223@news.easynews.com... > This was an ongoing problem with previous versions of Paint Shop Pro. > There were incompatibility issues with Nvidia. It appears (with all the > Nvidia discussions here) that compatibility issues still exist in Paint > Shop Pro 9...

Which Radeon graphics card for composite video output??
I need to be able to record video onto a VHS recorder, from my G4 (mirror door) so which Radeon graphics card is best for composite video output (in the UK btw). I have tried emailing ATI twice, but they can't be arsed to reply. Thanks in advance btw. Howard Fillingham In article <jag-59962C.14230602122003@host9.newsfeeds.com>, Neo Theleo <jag@hotmail.com> wrote: > I need to be able to record video onto a VHS recorder, from my G4 > (mirror door) so which Radeon graphics card is best for composite video > output (in the UK btw). I have tried emailing ATI twic...

Web resources about - Which card? Radeon or nVidia - comp.sys.mac.graphics

Radeon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Radeon / ˈ r eɪ d iː ɒ n / is a brand of computer products, including graphics processing units , random-access memory , RAM disk software, solid-state ...

Twitter

Live Review Recap: AMD Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition - PC Perspective - YouTube
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/AMD-Radeon-HD-7970-3GB-GHz-Edition-Review-Taking-GTX-680 Evan Groenke, Desktop Graphics Product Manager ...

AMD forms separate Radeon graphics division
CEO looks towards, "recapturing profitable share across traditional graphics markets" AMD has formed a separate division for its Radeon graphics ...

AMD’s new Radeon HD 7970 – the video card for future Mac Pros – gets benchmarked, is blow-away
Pardon a Forstallism in the headline ("blow-away"), it's actually a fitting description of AMD's just announced Radeon HD 7970 graphic card powered ...

AMD Announces Radeon R9 285, Shipping September 2nd
During their 30 years of graphics celebration , today AMD announced a forthcoming addition to the Radeon R9 200 graphics card lineup. Launching ...

AMD Radeon Software Crimson: A new name and a new look for Catalyst
AMD's Radeon Software Crimson replaces Catalyst. 16 more images in gallery AMD is taking the fight directly to Nvidia with the long-overdue ...

AMD announces powerful and wallet-friendly Radeon R9 380X graphics card
... but affordable too. The R9 380X may be the perfect balance. Will you upgrade? "Today, we are introducing the newest member of the Radeon family: ...

With GPUOpen, AMD hopes gamers will get more out of its Radeon GPUs
AMD has revealed the details of its GPUOpen project, through which it hopes to carve a bigger niche for itself in the crowded market for graphics ...

AMD preps hotfix for Radeon Crimson video card fan woes
AMD's new Radeon Crimson driver has a fan setting issue that could damage video cards the company has pledged to release a hotfix today to address ...