[NEWS] 27" iMac 3TB hard drive replacement program

From MacRumors.com ...

    Apple Launches 27" iMac 3TB Hard Drive Replacement Program
    Friday June 19, 2015

    Apple has determined that a small number of 3TB hard drives
    used in late 2012 27-inch iMacs sold between December 2012
    and September 2013 may fail under certain conditions. The
    company has initiated a replacement program to replace
    affected hard drives free of charge through Apple or an
    Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP).

    Apple is contacting affected iMac owners that provided a
    valid email address during product registration to inform
    them about the new replacement program. iMac owners can
    check if they are affected by entering the computer's serial
    number on Apple's support website, and visit the Genius Bar,
    locate an AASP or contact Apple Technical Support to
    initiate the replacement process.

    Apple advises that customers who paid to have their hard
    drive repaired contact the company for a refund. The
    replacement program covers affected iMac models until
    December 19, 2015, or three years from the affected iMac's
    original date of sale, depending on whichever is longer.
    Read about the iMac replacement program on Apple's support
    website for further details.
    https://www.apple.com/support/imac-harddrive-3tb/
0
Your
6/20/2015 12:31:10 AM
comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc 4192 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

Old Mac Programming from "Mac Programming for Dummies"
Here is the program I was trying to build, the first in the book: main() { WindowPtr TheWindow; InitGraf( &thePort ); InitFonts(); InitWindows(); TheWindow = GetNewWindow ( 128, 0L, (WindowPtr)-1L ); Setport( TheWindow ); MoveTo( 30, 50 ); DrawString( "\pHello, World!" ); while ( !Button() ) ; } This program seems to be written for Think C 6.0 & 7.0. I don't have that so I have been trying to hack my way through MPW 3.5. By the Way, If anyone ...

"Pagefile.sys" on Both Hard Drives?
Hello- I have two hard drives, only one operating system. Hard Drive #1 has the Windows XP operating system on it. Hard Drive #2 has some applications on it. I notice that both drives have a large section (959MB) devoted to something called pagefile.sys Do I need this on Hard Drive #2 or is only something I need only on Hard Drive #1 where the operating system lives? Thank you, -- Pat (To respond by email please remove "nothome" from the email address at the top.) In article <MPG.19d6cf2933e9ed6a98969b@News.CIS.DFN.DE>, PatrickHimself2001nothome...

How do I "Replace " primary hard Drive ?
I would like to do the following : Copy 100% of the contents of my current 10 gig HD onto a 160 Gig HD . Take that first HD and put in on shelf as a sort of snapshot in time that I can go back to if needed and use the new drive as my one and only drive . I tried simply coping one drive to the other but it didn't work, not all data contained on HD 1 is able t be copied. There must be some easy way to do this but I'm not getting it. Thanks in advance for your help John in article C0503179.16C6A%jcmail@optonline.net, John at jcmail@optonline.net wrote on 29/03/2006 18:...

How to "reformat" Mac Hard Drive
I'm probably an "intermediate" user of Mac computers. I know enough to get myself into some serious trouble!!! I had an iMac that crashed. I finally got around to taking it apart and removing the hard drive. I'm sitting here with the hard drive in a docking station and I've managed to copy all the documents and pix that were on the hard drive. Now what I want to do is "reformat" the drive - or try to. In other words, I want to "erase" the hard drive and put the Mac OS back on it - if possible - so that I can use the iMac again. But OS sof...

Western Digital "My Book"
Hi I got a 160GB one on sale. MODEL: WDG1U1600N http://wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?DriveID=217 I want to take out the hard drive to put in a computer. Then put another HD into the My Book enclosure. Is there any easy way to do this? I have it pried half way apart. I don't want to ruin it. Thanks ZD ...

Panasonic CF-27 "Forgets About" the Hard Drive?!
Hello all, I'm having a strange problem with a CF-27 I just picked up. I bought it as a "bare bones" unit, none of the removable components were included. I bought another 27 as the donor for all the removable parts, figuring I'd load up the more advanced model and re-sell the lesser one that provided the parts. Here's the problem: The POST recognizes the hard drive. I boot up from a Win98 startup disk, and go into FDISK to partition it. FDISK sees the drive and partitions it. After I reboot, as FDISK requires, it seems to "forget" the drive it just parti...

[News] Linux "A Very Reliable Replacement for Windows and Mac"
Crossing the OS Divide With Linux ,----[ Quote ] | I spent the last few weeks determining whether I could use Linux | as a serious working environment rather than as the interesting | distraction it first appeared to be. My computing tasks are very | different from corporate entities using Linux servers to run | company networks. I discovered that Linux is a very reliable | replacement for the Windows and Mac platforms. `---- http://www.linuxinsider.com/rsstory/54700.html ...

Is Mac booting from ext hard drive really "necessary"?
The more I play with Windows XP Pro and Windows Vista, the more I am happy with my Macs. I have both XP and Vista installed via Parallels, on my 15" MacBook. Are there any _major_ drawbacks in not being able to boot from an external hard drive? Windows users seem to think that there are no good reasons to boot from an external hard drive. Come right down to it, perhaps they are right, as far as MAJOR reasons are concerned. Still, little convenience factors like ext' drive booting make me appreciate my Macs. At times, when I am on the road and have a tight schedule wit...

Replacing hard drive and getting "NTLDR missing" message
The hard drive in my Dell Optiplex died, and I am trying to replace it with an existing hard drive from an older HP computer. The Dell came with Win 2000 preinstalled. The HP hard drive has Win XP installed. When I placed the Win XP hard drive in the Dell, I got a "NTLDR missing" message at boot up. I've searced Google's message boards and seen that this is not a rare problem, but so far I've not found a solution that works. I've tried doing the following (from Microsoft's Web site): 1. Restart the computer by using a Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me st...

Upgrading capacity of LaCie "Mac Mini" hard drive?
LaCie Mini Hard Drive was designed with the same footprint as the Mac Mini. It uses a 3.5" IDE mechanism that had, at the time, 80 GB capacity. If I want to replace the 80 GB mechanism with one of 200-500 GB size, how can I tell if the chip set used in the drive's enclosure will be happy with such a large mechanism? (Some chip sets were limited to 128(?) GB maximum, IIRC.) Is there a way to ping the chip set to identify it's capabilities? Or is this model of enclosure listed somewhere as to what chip set it used? LaCie tech support rep said that they do not keep records o...

Good news: The iMac's RAM is "user-replaceable."
From iFixIt In case you haven't heard, the new iMac is really thin…kinda. At its thinnest point (around the edge), it is 5 mm thick. At its thickest, though, it is over 4 cm thick, more than 8 times the thickness of the edge. Unlike in the previous iMac, this display is held in place with more than magnets. To our dismay, we're forced to break out our heat gun and guitar picks to get past the adhesive holding the display down. Repair faux pas alert! To save space and eliminate the gap between the glass and the pixels, Apple opted to fuse the front glass and th...

how hard to replace titanium internal hard drive? How to clone old hard drive onto it?
Hi all - I have a 2001 titanium laptop with a 20 Gig hard drive. The thing is getting too full and I'm toying with the idea of getting a bigger one and replacing it. Questions: 1) how hard is it to do myself? Is it easy to ruin/break something or is it pretty simple to do it right? 2) are there instructions somewhere on-line? 3) are there different brands of drives I can buy? If so, any suggestions for good ones or ones to avoid? and 4) I don't want to re-install the OS, software, preferences, GUI behavior, etc. Is it possible to clone my internal drive onto the new one s...

Ubuntu Lurid crapware: "it bricked two hard drives...I don't have too many more hard drives to brick"
"The first time I figured that the hard drive failed at a coincidental time. But now it has happened, exactly the same, to a SECOND hard drive! .... This same disk was happily running Ubuntu 0810 just before I turned it off to install 1004, and had been for about six months. It was turned off and on perhaps every day or 2 or 3, always worked perfectly. The second disk had been off for six months, having been running up until then running ... 0810 at that time. When I replaced the first disk, the machine got through the BIOS fine, booted knoppix. I zero'ed the disk...

Web resources about - [NEWS] 27" iMac 3TB hard drive replacement program - comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc

Chemistry and Metallurgy Research Replacement Facility - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Chemistry and Metallurgy Research Replacement Facility , usually referred to as the CMRR , is a facility under construction at Los Alamos ...

Unsportsmanlike Conduct Called On Replacement NFL Ref Due To Facebook Posts
One of the National Football League ’s replacement officials was removed from his assignment to work the New Orleans Saints ’ visit to the Carolina ...

Facebook Home: Replacement Home Screen for Android
Nicely-designed phone interface that I would personally never want to use. (They’re embedding Helvetica rather than using Google’s crummy Roboto. ...

The Replacements (@TheReplacements) on Twitter
Website has been fixed. Stay tuned to see what other shenanigans we may or may not have up our sleeves... theReplacementsOfficial.

App Store - The Complete Hair Replacement Guide
Get The Complete Hair Replacement Guide on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Nexus 4 Screen Replacement + Frame/Bezel Exchange - YouTube
For the parts or tools needed to perform this repair visit http://www.repairsuniverse.com/lg-nexus-4-e960-screen-replacement-repair-parts.ht ...

Big Bash League: Dick Smith collapse leaves Melbourne Stars searching for replacement key sponsor
... tumultuous week is on the cusp of returning to positive territory, with the Big Bash League team closing in on what would be a rapid replacement ...

Harjit Sajjan Hints F-35 Won't Be Excluded From Jet Replacement Competition 34
One of the Liberals' top campaign pledges was to buy a less expensive aircraft.

Judge rejects class-action over AppleCare’s subpar replacements, calls lawyer ‘manifestly incompetent’ ...
Remember that class-action lawsuit alleging AppleCare+ customers were being given subpar replacement products? This week a federal judge rejected ...

Report: Users Routinely Purge Apps and Look for Better Replacements
... — last around 13 weeks. Millennials tend to keep apps for shorter periods than baby boomers. After deletion, many users look for good replacements, ...