54g Wireless - Mac Os 10 and Mac Os X

Hi there,

I have two apple laptops coming into our work network - one is an oldish
IBook with an original Airport card which supports 64bit WEP and the other
is a brand new IBook with 128bit WEP security. Our wireless network router
is a belkin but only allows us to set 64 bit OR 128 bit - is there anyway of
allowing either of these computers onto the network whilst securing it?

Thanks

Wesley

0
Blue
4/4/2005 9:32:48 PM
comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc 4192 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

Blue Wezza <blue-wezza@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> I have two apple laptops coming into our work network - one is an oldish
> IBook with an original Airport card which supports 64bit WEP and the other
> is a brand new IBook with 128bit WEP security. Our wireless network router
> is a belkin but only allows us to set 64 bit OR 128 bit - is there anyway of
> allowing either of these computers onto the network whilst securing it?

This question has been answered in alt.internet.wireless and perhaps in
the Apple 2 group to which it was also posted.

0
neillmassello
4/4/2005 10:27:51 PM
"Neill Massello" <neillmassello@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Blue Wezza <blue-wezza@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I have two apple laptops coming into our work network - one is an oldish
>> IBook with an original Airport card which supports 64bit WEP and the
>> other
>> is a brand new IBook with 128bit WEP security. Our wireless network
>> router
>> is a belkin but only allows us to set 64 bit OR 128 bit - is there anyway
>> of
>> allowing either of these computers onto the network whilst securing it?
>
> This question has been answered in alt.internet.wireless and perhaps in
> the Apple 2 group to which it was also posted.

what was the answer?

for those of us who don't subscribe to either of those groups.

0
Kez
4/6/2005 5:46:02 AM
NOSPAM replied:
sure - update the firmware on the airport card and you'll get 128 bit
wep.  if you are running mac os x 10.3 (panther) you will even get wpa
too.

run software update and select all of the airport related items.  you
may want to update the other stuff too.  note that you may need to run
the updater a few times, as some updates require earlier updates.

it is also wise to run disk utility before updating to be sure there
are no major disk problems which can potentially affect system software
changes (and anything else for that matter).

and Neil Massello replied:

Upgrade the OS on the older iBook, if necessary, so that it will have a
recent version of the AirPort driver. Any AirPort card can do WEP 128 or
WPA.

Thanks to both posters

Wesley