cross interference?

I've just run over a hundred feet of Cat-5e cable with no problem.  I
believe it's unshielded (
http://www.insigniaproducts.com/products/computer-speakers-accessories/NS-PNW5525.html
).

I'd also like to run the same length of 4 conductor flat (modular?)
cable (phone extension) along the same path and the simplest way would
be right on top of the Cat-5e run.  But I'm thinking I might get cross
interference if I do.  Is that right? If so, what should be the distance
between the two lines.
comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc 4192 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

In article <n1th8c$au3$1@dont-email.me>,
 "M. John Matlaw" <nouser@invalid.com> wrote:

> I've just run over a hundred feet of Cat-5e cable with no problem.  I
> believe it's unshielded (
> http://www.insigniaproducts.com/products/computer-speakers-accessories/NS-PNW5
> 525.html
> ).
>
> I'd also like to run the same length of 4 conductor flat (modular?)
> cable (phone extension) along the same path and the simplest way would
> be right on top of the Cat-5e run.  But I'm thinking I might get cross
> interference if I do.  Is that right? If so, what should be the distance
> between the two lines.

If the Cat-5 is carrying just an Ethernet circuit, there are two "spare"
pairs there already. Why not use those?

Otherwise, why not just another run of Cat-5? Unlike the telephone
4-wire, the pairs are twisted, which will help to keep interference both
in, and out.

Isaac
0
isw
11/11/2015 5:21:42 AM
isw <isw@witzend.com> wrote:

> In article <n1th8c$au3$1@dont-email.me>,
>  "M. John Matlaw" <nouser@invalid.com> wrote:
>
> > I've just run over a hundred feet of Cat-5e cable with no problem.  I
> > believe it's unshielded (
> > http://www.insigniaproducts.com/products/computer-speakers-accessories/N
> > S-PNW5 525.html
> > ).
> >
> > I'd also like to run the same length of 4 conductor flat (modular?)
> > cable (phone extension) along the same path and the simplest way would
> > be right on top of the Cat-5e run.  But I'm thinking I might get cross
> > interference if I do.  Is that right? If so, what should be the distance
> > between the two lines.
>
> If the Cat-5 is carrying just an Ethernet circuit, there are two "spare"
> pairs there already. Why not use those?

True for 10Base-T or 100Base-TX, but Gigabit Ethernet uses all four
pairs.

--
David Empson
dempson@actrix.gen.nz
On 11/10/15 2:43 p, M. John Matlaw wrote:
> I've just run over a hundred feet of Cat-5e cable with no problem.  I
> believe it's unshielded (
> http://www.insigniaproducts.com/products/computer-speakers-accessories/NS-PNW5525.html
> ).
>
> I'd also like to run the same length of 4 conductor flat (modular?)
> cable (phone extension) along the same path and the simplest way would
> be right on top of the Cat-5e run.  But I'm thinking I might get cross
> interference if I do.  Is that right? If so, what should be the distance
> between the two lines.

A couple of questions:

1. What kind of electronic signals are you planning on sending over the
4 conductor flat phone line? If it's just plain telephone audio
(<10KHz), then there probably won't be any interference since the
frequency of the twisted pair Ethernet is in the MHz range. Of course,
the non-twisted phone line will be a giant antenna for any EMF; but if
the phone circuit isn't connected to the Ethernet circuit(s), it
shouldn't matter.

2. While it's more costly, have you considered running CAT-6 cable for
future-proofing, especially if the physical installation is going to be
difficult? It can handle _10_Gb Ethernet.
<http://serverfault.com/questions/438907/what-is-the-clock-frequency-inside-10gb-and-100gb-ethernet-cards>
(see 10GbE side note)

--
Nous sommes Paris!

0
Fred
11/16/2015 9:02:46 PM
On 11/16/15 4:02 PM, Fred Moore wrote:
> On 11/10/15 2:43 p, M. John Matlaw wrote:
>> I've just run over a hundred feet of Cat-5e cable with no problem.  I
>> believe it's unshielded (
>> http://www.insigniaproducts.com/products/computer-speakers-accessories/NS-PNW5525.html
>>
>> ).
>>
>> I'd also like to run the same length of 4 conductor flat (modular?)
>> cable (phone extension) along the same path and the simplest way would
>> be right on top of the Cat-5e run.  But I'm thinking I might get cross
>> interference if I do.  Is that right? If so, what should be the distance
>> between the two lines.
>
> A couple of questions:
>
> 1. What kind of electronic signals are you planning on sending over the
> 4 conductor flat phone line? If it's just plain telephone audio
> (<10KHz), then there probably won't be any interference since the
> frequency of the twisted pair Ethernet is in the MHz range. Of course,
> the non-twisted phone line will be a giant antenna for any EMF; but if
> the phone circuit isn't connected to the Ethernet circuit(s), it
> shouldn't matter.
>
> 2. While it's more costly, have you considered running CAT-6 cable for
> future-proofing, especially if the physical installation is going to be
> difficult? It can handle _10_Gb Ethernet.
> <http://serverfault.com/questions/438907/what-is-the-clock-frequency-inside-10gb-and-100gb-ethernet-cards>
> (see 10GbE side note)

Thanks for this.  The 4 conductor is indeed for plain old telephone
audio so I guess I'll give it a try laying it over the Ethernet cable.

I guess I should read up on this stuff but, sadly, my basic science is
lacking.  The Time Warner internet I'm getting is supposed to be up to
100/10 Mbps.
On 11/17/15 7:42 a, M. John Matlaw wrote:
> The Time Warner internet I'm getting is supposed to be up to 100/10 Mbps.

Certainly CAT-6 won't help in the cable modem to router link; but if you
are going to be transferring files between computers using this cable or
having several computers talking to each other at once over the cable,
it can speed that up a bit if the computers have 1GBE or 10GBE.

--
Nous sommes Paris!

0
Fred

HDs for graphics
Here's my scenario... can't afford to, can't afford not to. I've been working without a net for way too long and it's catching up to me. My only backup has been zips and they have proven inadequate and too costly. It seems that any technical knowledge I once had has either become out-dated or has been forgotten:( Problems that have been occurring: Not enough memory messages, not enough disk space messages, programs quitting, not a lot of freezing surprisingly. And, in high-res in Photoshop or Illustrator with raster images.... crawling-apply-a-brush-stroke-and-go-to-lunch ...

FS: misc. Mac/PC hardware/software stuff
Apple Power Mac 7300/200 2G HD 512 RAM (Kingston) & manuals $50 Sony CPD-100VS monitor $25 Sony VAIO PCV-90 $50 Global Village Teleport 56K modem $25 Global Village Platinum 28.8 modem & manuals $25 SoundBlaster speakers $25 Iomega SCSI Zip 100 MB external drive $25 Iomega SCSI Jaz 2 G external drive $25 100 MB Zip disks $1 each (14) 250 MB Zip disks $3 each (26) 1 G Jaz disks $5 each (19) 2 G Jaz disks $7 each (3) Lacie 1 GB SCSI external drive $25 Palm Vx PDA $25 Agfa Arcus SCSI scanner (brand new, never used) $50 ATI video card 8 MB $20 ...

When is a Mac not a Mac?

Transferring hardware from Mac to Mac, reactivating OS X not necessary
I acquired a 733MHz Quicksilver (2001) yesterday. I transferred the four hard drives, the CompUSA 5 port USB 2 card and the Sonnett Tempo ATA133 IDE card from the Sawtooth to the Quicksilver. The QS booted without issues, the hardware showed up properly in System Proflier, and I am able to access the Web, newsgroups and email. The only thing I had to re enter was the Drive Genius serial. And most important, I did not have to reactivate Tiger. I wonder why, Wintrolls. Just one more reason OS X is superior to Windoze. Chance Furlong wrote: > I acquired a 733MHz Quicksilver (2001...

To Mac or not to Mac?

WTT: C64 and Mac Hardware for Amiga, Mac, or PC HW:
Due to a lack of space in my apartment I am selling all my C64 equipment. All of this equipment works and has been tested. I would like to trade it for either Some Amiga, PC or Mac HW. Commodore Commodore C1581 Commodore C64 Commodore C64C Commodore C1702 Commodore C1541 II Commodore C1670 Modem Supra Sonic 14.4K Modem X 3 Mac Stuff Power Mac 7200 Upgraded with PM7600 Motherboard A NewerTech G3-275MHZ PCI Processor card 178MB RAM 1.2GB SCSI HD with OS9.1 installed. 9GB SCSI HD with OS X, 10.2.8 installed(Yes really!) CD-ROM Drive, its either or 6X or 16X, I forget which. 4MB ATI Videocard ...

Mac to mac

sys .mac
Dear Friend, I have found some websites: for msn messenger, http://www.hotmailpk.com/ For entertainment,spotlight.articles,interviews,dailyupdate htttp://www.familyandtwist.com/ for sms messeges, smsjokes, http://www.smstwist.com/ for articles,entertainment,beauty tips,news,showbiz and fashion http://http://www.familypk.com Visit these websites: Thanks ...

sys .mac
Dear Friend, I have found some websites: for msn messenger, http://www.hotmailpk.com/ For entertainment,spotlight.articles,interviews,dailyupdate;Wrestling;gosips;amazing pictuers;cookingrecipes; htttp://www.familyandtwist.com/ for sms messeges, smsjokes, http://www.smstwist.com/ for articles,entertainment,beauty tips,news,showbiz and fashion http://http://www.familypk.com Visit these websites: Thanks ...

sys.mac
Dear Friend, I have found some websites: for msn messenger, http://www.hotmailpk.com/ For entertainment,spotlight.articles,interviews,dailyupdate htttp://www.familyandtwist.com/ for sms messeges, smsjokes, http://www.smstwist.com/ for articles,entertainment,beauty tips,news,showbiz and fashion http://www.familypk.com Visit these websites: Thanks ...

Mac Hardware
I have been told by someone in the computer sales and service business that Mac hard drives are Maxtor drives with Apple lables - Maxtor is the crappiest you can find. zara wrote: > I have been told by someone in the computer sales and service business that > Mac hard drives are Maxtor drives with Apple lables - Maxtor is the > crappiest you can find. And your friend is pretty stupid. My G5 has Seagates. Richard -- RichardK - 1980s in a can. http://www.dmc12.demon.co.uk/music/ Retro computing - http://www.dmc12.demon.co.uk/retrotech/ Cars - 2004 Beetle Cabrio, 1989 Supra ...

Hardware with Mac
I'm in the final stages of planning a move to Mac after using MSDOS/Windows computers since the early Intel 8088 days. If I make the switch it will be to either the desktop or portable dual core Mac. I've asked in another forum about the software I might need and wonder about printers, scanners etc. I use a Canon miltifunction and don't see anything on the CD about a Mac OS so I'm assuming I'll need a new printer/scanner etc. I've always like HP and I know they make several models...are any of them Mac operational? If not, is there a multi function un...

sys.mac
Dear Friend, I have found some websites: for msn messenger, http://www.hotmailpk.com/ For entertainment,spotlight.articles,interviews,dailyupdate htttp://www.familyandtwist.com/ for sms messeges, smsjokes, http://www.smstwist.com/ for articles,entertainment,beauty tips,news,showbiz and fashion http://www.familypk.com Visit these websites: Thanks ...

Mac tablet builder comments on Mac OS X for generic hardware
Not an amazing article, but the end summarizes one perspective nicely: http://www.axiotron.com/index.php?id=36&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=73&tx_ttnews[ backPid]=2&cHash=6497edc900 On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 20:04:40 -1000, Mitch <mitch@hawaii.rr> chose to bless us with the following wisdom: >Not an amazing article, but the end summarizes one perspective nicely: > >http://www.axiotron.com/index.php?id=36&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=73&tx_ttnews[ >backPid]=2&cHash=6497edc900 (Insert Polaski whining about not using TinyURL here.) -- "A president who breaks the law i...

Web resources about - cross interference? - comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc

Street light interference phenomenon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Street light interference , or SLI, is an alleged anomalous phenomenon where a person seems to turn off (or sometimes on) street lights , or ...

Fan Interference (@FI920am) on Twitter

All sizes - Wave interference, South Island, NZ - Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Single molecules in a quantum interference movie - YouTube
This video shows the build-up of a quantum matter-wave interference pattern from single phthalocyanine molecules. See also our original publication ...

PM's 'interference' threatens fair trial of terror suspect Omarjan Azari, say lawyers
... of planning a "terrifying" public terrorist act say he could never get a fair trial because of the prime minister's "unprecedented interference" ...

Julie Bishop denies US interference (01:27)
Minister for Foreign Affairs, Julie Bishop says Australia's criticism of China's air defence announcement was not prompted by the United States. ...

Judd's manager slams 'outrageous interference'
Judd's manager slams 'outrageous interference'

Qantas rejects Dubai interference claim

The Liberals are maximising government interference, not minimising it
For a party that is apparently loath to entangle itself in the lives of its citizens, the Liberal Party does a lot of it.

Tony Abbott fears Russian interference at MH17 crash site
A frustrated Prime Minister Tony Abbott has told Russia's Trade Minister that Russia cannot &#x201C;wash its hands&#x201D; of the MH17 tragedy ...