Do bad things mae Macs slow down?

My niece tells me that her laptop, 4 years old, is slow and she needs a
new one.

A) Have CPU's gotten much faster in the last 4 years?  I though speed
had sort of stagnated, for good reasons I'm sure.

B) I think my PC is slow, but not because it's old. I think it's bogged
down by scheduled items, scans that I never wanted, checking for updates
every 5 minutes (and twice for the same thing), amd 7 different google
updates, including one that had been running for 44 hours when I checked
this morning (although it apparently wasn't using any cycle time during
the 10 seconds I watched.)

C)  Plus maybe malware, though I don't think I myself have any right
now.

Are Macs subject to all these things?

Is there some good way she can get rid of all the bad stuff and speed up
her computer so she won't waste $400 or whatever?    She's on her own
starting this week, for the first time, working, paying her own rent.
I'm sure she'd be happy with her computer if she coudl speed it up.
0
micky
6/4/2015 2:44:17 PM
comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc 4192 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

In article <hho0natl3hc4dh1pfp781upoc25ib4g4eg@4ax.com>,
 micky <NONONOmisc07@bigfoot.com> wrote:

> My niece tells me that her laptop, 4 years old, is slow and she needs a
> new one.
>
> A) Have CPU's gotten much faster in the last 4 years?  I though speed
> had sort of stagnated, for good reasons I'm sure.
>
> B) I think my PC is slow, but not because it's old. I think it's bogged
> down by scheduled items, scans that I never wanted, checking for updates
> every 5 minutes (and twice for the same thing), amd 7 different google
> updates, including one that had been running for 44 hours when I checked
> this morning (although it apparently wasn't using any cycle time during
> the 10 seconds I watched.)
>
> C)  Plus maybe malware, though I don't think I myself have any right
> now.
>
> Are Macs subject to all these things?
>
> Is there some good way she can get rid of all the bad stuff and speed up
> her computer so she won't waste $400 or whatever?    She's on her own
> starting this week, for the first time, working, paying her own rent.
> I'm sure she'd be happy with her computer if she coudl speed it up.

There is essentially no way that the underlying hardware (of a Mac or a
PC) can actually slow down over time.

Open up Activity Monitor, click on the "%CPU" column, and see what's
using lots of processor cycles. Kill it/them and see if things improve.

Isaac
0
isw
6/5/2015 3:49:39 AM
On 2015-06-05 03:49:39 +0000, isw said:

> In article <hho0natl3hc4dh1pfp781upoc25ib4g4eg@4ax.com>,
>  micky <NONONOmisc07@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>
>> My niece tells me that her laptop, 4 years old, is slow and she needs a
>> new one.
>>
>> A) Have CPU's gotten much faster in the last 4 years?  I though speed
>> had sort of stagnated, for good reasons I'm sure.
>>
>> B) I think my PC is slow, but not because it's old. I think it's bogged
>> down by scheduled items, scans that I never wanted, checking for updates
>> every 5 minutes (and twice for the same thing), amd 7 different google
>> updates, including one that had been running for 44 hours when I checked
>> this morning (although it apparently wasn't using any cycle time during
>> the 10 seconds I watched.)
>>
>> C)  Plus maybe malware, though I don't think I myself have any right
>> now.
>>
>> Are Macs subject to all these things?
>>
>> Is there some good way she can get rid of all the bad stuff and speed up
>> her computer so she won't waste $400 or whatever?    She's on her own
>> starting this week, for the first time, working, paying her own rent.
>> I'm sure she'd be happy with her computer if she coudl speed it up.
>
> There is essentially no way that the underlying hardware (of a Mac or a
> PC) can actually slow down over time.
>
> Open up Activity Monitor, click on the "%CPU" column, and see what's
> using lots of processor cycles. Kill it/them and see if things improve.
>
> Isaac

New drives usually are faster. Like SSD and thunderbolt are faster.
It's also important how much stuff is on your HD. The fuller it is the
slower it will work. Searching will take longer.

0
Me
6/5/2015 6:28:44 AM
In message <hho0natl3hc4dh1pfp781upoc25ib4g4eg@4ax.com>
  micky <NONONOmisc07@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> My niece tells me that her laptop, 4 years old, is slow and she needs a
> new one.

> A) Have CPU's gotten much faster in the last 4 years?  I though speed
> had sort of stagnated, for good reasons I'm sure.

My 2016 MBP is much faster than the 2009 one it replaced, despite having
not much improvement in raw GHz. Its not just about the CPU. My 2009 was
2.5 Ghz and the 2016 is 2.7GHz. The 2015 features a newer CPU and a much
mch faster SSD thatn the 2009's spinning disk.

> B) I think my PC is slow, but not because it's old. I think it's bogged
> down by scheduled items, scans that I never wanted, checking for updates
> every 5 minutes (and twice for the same thing), amd 7 different google
> updates, including one that had been running for 44 hours when I checked
> this morning (although it apparently wasn't using any cycle time during
> the 10 seconds I watched.)

> C)  Plus maybe malware, though I don't think I myself have any right
> now.

> Are Macs subject to all these things?

Depending on what is installed, Adobe and Google and MSFT install their
own updaters. Looking at the Activity Monitor for processes using a lot
of CPU or memory pressure or Energy Impact can show tasks that are
taking too many resources.

> Is there some good way she can get rid of all the bad stuff and speed up
> her computer so she won't waste $400 or whatever? She's on her own
> starting this week, for the first time, working, paying her own rent.
> I'm sure she'd be happy with her computer if she coudl speed it up.

It will take some time and investigation to see what issues there might
be.

--
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of
night
 Lewis <g.kreme@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:

> In message <hho0natl3hc4dh1pfp781upoc25ib4g4eg@4ax.com>
>   micky <NONONOmisc07@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> > My niece tells me that her laptop, 4 years old, is slow and she needs a
> > new one.
>
> > A) Have CPU's gotten much faster in the last 4 years?  I though speed
> > had sort of stagnated, for good reasons I'm sure.
>
> My 2016 MBP is much faster than the 2009 one it replaced, despite having
> not much improvement in raw GHz. Its not just about the CPU. My 2009 was
> 2.5 Ghz and the 2016 is 2.7GHz. The 2015 features a newer CPU and a much
> mch faster SSD thatn the 2009's spinning disk.

Does the new one also have more cores?

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA
 Me, myself and I <baiheli.pip.li@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> It's also important how much stuff is on your HD. The fuller it is the
> slower it will work. Searching will take longer.

It has to be REALLY full (like 95%) for it to have a significant
performance impact. And searching (as in Spotlight) is done using an
index, so the quantity of stuff doesn't really have much impact.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA
Barry
6/5/2015 4:03:38 PM
In article <barmar-494728.12033805062015@88-209-239-213.giganet.hu>,
Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> In article <5571419c$0$23234$e4fe514c@dreader34.news.xs4all.nl>,
>  Me, myself and I <baiheli.pip.li@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
> > It's also important how much stuff is on your HD. The fuller it is the
> > slower it will work. Searching will take longer.
>
> It has to be REALLY full (like 95%) for it to have a significant
> performance impact. And searching (as in Spotlight) is done using an
> index, so the quantity of stuff doesn't really have much impact.

Using anti-malware software will also slow your Mac down. Some people
have reported that installing Kaspersky on a Yosemite Mac makes it very
slow (there may have been an updated Kaspersky since then to fix that
noticeable slowness).

Of course, being a Mac, you don't need third-party anti-malware
software anyway, so just uninstall it.
0
Your
6/5/2015 10:23:46 PM
Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> In article <slrnmn2k2b.2a7c.g.kreme@amelia.local>,
>  Lewis <g.kreme@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:
>
> > In message <hho0natl3hc4dh1pfp781upoc25ib4g4eg@4ax.com>
> >   micky <NONONOmisc07@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> > > My niece tells me that her laptop, 4 years old, is slow and she needs a
> > > new one.
> >
> > > A) Have CPU's gotten much faster in the last 4 years?  I though speed
> > > had sort of stagnated, for good reasons I'm sure.
> >
> > My 2016 MBP is much faster than the 2009 one it replaced, despite having
> > not much improvement in raw GHz. Its not just about the CPU. My 2009 was
> > 2.5 Ghz and the 2016 is 2.7GHz. The 2015 features a newer CPU and a much
> > mch faster SSD thatn the 2009's spinning disk.
>
> Does the new one also have more cores?

Clearly Apple has made a significant improvement to Time Machine if the
new MBP is being used in the year before it is due to be released. :-)

Seriously though, given those CPU speeds, a 2.5 GHz 2009 MacBook Pro
could be either a 13-inch or 15-inch model, both of which had 2 cores
(Core 2 Duo, Penryn).

The 2015 model must be 13-inch, as there is no 15-inch model with that
CPU speed. Therefore both models being compared have 2 cores. The newer
model is a later processor generation (Core i5, Broadwell).

The 15-inch MacBook Pro switched from 2-core to 4-core with the Early
2011 series. For heavy processing these and newer 15-inch models are
noticeably faster than the 13-inch MacBook Pro.

Geekbench scores have the fastest Early 2015 13-inch (3.1 GHz) almost
catching up with the slowest Early 2011 15-inch (2.0 GHz). Those models
are three processor generations apart (Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge,
Haswell, Broadwell).

--
David Empson
dempson@actrix.gen.nz
  Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> In article <slrnmn2k2b.2a7c.g.kreme@amelia.local>,
>  Lewis <g.kreme@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:

>> In message <hho0natl3hc4dh1pfp781upoc25ib4g4eg@4ax.com>
>>   micky <NONONOmisc07@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>> > My niece tells me that her laptop, 4 years old, is slow and she needs a
>> > new one.
>>
>> > A) Have CPU's gotten much faster in the last 4 years?  I though speed
>> > had sort of stagnated, for good reasons I'm sure.
>>
>> My 2016 MBP is much faster than the 2009 one it replaced, despite having
>> not much improvement in raw GHz. Its not just about the CPU. My 2009 was
>> 2.5 Ghz and the 2016 is 2.7GHz. The 2015 features a newer CPU and a much
>> mch faster SSD thatn the 2009's spinning disk.

> Does the new one also have more cores?

Nope. They both have two cores.

--
Granny Weatherwax didn't hold with looking at the future, but now she
could feel the future looking at her. She didn't like its expression at
wrote:

>My niece tells me that her laptop, 4 years old, is slow and she needs a
>new one.
>
>A) Have CPU's gotten much faster in the last 4 years?  I though speed
>had sort of stagnated, for good reasons I'm sure.
>
>B) I think my PC is slow, but not because it's old. I think it's bogged
>down by scheduled items, scans that I never wanted, checking for updates
>every 5 minutes (and twice for the same thing), amd 7 different google
>updates, including one that had been running for 44 hours when I checked
>this morning (although it apparently wasn't using any cycle time during
>the 10 seconds I watched.)
>
>C)  Plus maybe malware, though I don't think I myself have any right
>now.
>
>Are Macs subject to all these things?
>
>Is there some good way she can get rid of all the bad stuff and speed up
>her computer so she won't waste $400 or whatever?    She's on her own
>starting this week, for the first time, working, paying her own rent.
>I'm sure she'd be happy with her computer if she coudl speed it up.

Thanks everyone .  I emailed my niece a few days ago (about this and
other things) and she said she'd try that.
0
micky

To Mac or not to Mac?

Mac to mac

When is a Mac not a Mac?

Help! iSync mac to mac

It's a Mac, Mac, Mac World
I wonder how the Windows users would like my (ab)normal Microsoft-free world: My business: all Mac, no PCs. My dentist, family physician and urologist are all Mac. No PCs. Went to Sir Speedy today for more bus. cards and some binding: all Mac (no surprise there). My daughter's three new college room mates have emailed her. Two have PowerBooks and one has an eMac. (She has a G5 iMac.) I never even see a PC unless I am at the public library or a store using a Windows POS unit. It never was intentional. I don't scout a place to see what frickin' computer they use. Jus...

bmp-mac, mac and xmms-mac ports
Hello, I can't find these in the ports collections, so i've downloaded and compiled mac and xmms-mac successfully and have confirmed that they work on FreeBSD. I was looking for an APE (Monkey Audio) plug-in for XMMS in the ports collection but wasn't able to find one. I had a bit of trouble with compiling xmms-mac to start off with. The compilation would fail with the following: g++ -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/X11R6/include/xmms -I/usr/local/include/gtk12 -I/usr/local/include/glib12 -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -s -O3 -Wall -pedantic -DBUILD_CROSS_PLATFOR...

Mac Sucks so bad Screw you mac lovers
http://macsucks.teenwag.com/poll?n=161&show=prev&displ=Mac+sucks+big+time+more+screw+you+mac+lovers ...

Mac-to-Mac VPN?
Years ago, I set up a Mac network (under OS9) with a VPN router and some software on a remote PowerBook that allowed VPN access. I'm not terribly familiar with OSX yet, but I understand that much of this functionality is now built in. Can anybody steer me in the right direction as far as hardware, software and configuration? Here's the setup I envision: - Small LAN running two Macs and a printer with a DSL connection through a router. - Remote PowerBook connected to the net varyingly with dial-up, DSL (wired), and AirPort. - Use the PowerBook to securely connect to at l...

MAC to MAC over Internet
Hi All, First I will tell you that I am not a MAC user or owner so please be patient :) I have a friend who runs a small business and they have two MAC computers in the office that are networked together and share files. The main MAC has approx 20,000 files that they share and update. One of the people will be moving away and they want to be able to connect over the Internet to the main MAC and share the files just like they do in the office today. They need to be able to have the master files on the main MAC in the office and allow the other person to easily access and update the master ...

networking mac to mac???
Hello, Can someone out there tell me the best (easy) way to network a ibook running os.9??? possibly to a new imac running osx 5wak <rosscoism@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello, Can someone out there tell me the best (easy) way to network a > ibook running os.9??? possibly to a new imac running osx Put an ethernet cable between them, enable tcp/ip and file sharing on one and log on from the other, seems to be what you are asking for? And you do not need a cross-over cable between modern Macs. -- /Jon For contact info, run the following in Terminal: echo 361993718603049801070734...

mac to mac connection
Hi, PBG3 400 OS 10.3 I connect a crossover cable between my PB, and other macs running OS9, and can not mount see the other mac on my PB. Have followed the Help, but must be doing something wrong somewhere. I can however see/connect to my PB from the peripheral mac via the Chooser. I have not been able to connect to windoze machines either, but maybe that will rsolve if I can get mac to mac sharing happening. Can someone suggest what I may be overlooking or a relevant site... ? thanks indeed Chris Brown Neurosurgery University of Adelaide In article <400da705$1@yorrell.saard.n...

Mac Miail on .mac
I have my own domain name. Is there a way to get msil under .mac to set this as the reply to address. It seems that I am forced to use the @mac address but I could well be missing something. Thanks Colin Countryman wrote: > I have my own domain name. Is there a way to get msil under .mac to set this > as the reply to address. It seems that I am forced to use the @mac address > but I could well be missing something. > > Thanks > Colin Open a new Mail message - press Command-Alt-R to display the Reply-To field. Chu -- chuenginsberg at mac dot com On Sun, 21 Jan 2...

SLOW copying From Mac to PC, Fast from PC to Mac?
Mac is an older slot load G3 running Mac OS 10.3. PC is running Windows 2003 Server as part of a Workgroup (no domain controller). I have files shared on the PC. When I copy them from the PC to the Mac it takes 3 minutes or so. When I copy the same files from the Mac to the PC it takes over an hour. Can anyone explain why this could be happening? Thanks! In article <nOCFd.68950$6l.57450@pd7tw2no>, "Noozer" <dontspam@me.here> wrote: > Mac is an older slot load G3 running Mac OS 10.3. PC is running Windows 2003 > Server as part of a Workgroup (no domain contro...

Mac to MAc Firewire
Hey all Looking for some help. I am trying to use a 6-6pin 1394 cable to connect two iBooks together and transfer some large files. iBook 1 dual USB 'white' iBook OS 9.2 iBook 2 G4 OSx 10.2 I boot iBook 1 into 'target drive' mode and get the firewire icon dancing about the screen then connect it to iBook 2 but the drive does not appear on the desktop. I have tried all combinations of rebooting/ connecting before and after rebooting but nothing seams to work. When the firewire is plugged in the target disk makes a short noise then nothing the host does not appear to react at ...

Web resources about - Do bad things mae Macs slow down? - comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc

10 Things I Hate About You (TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
10 Things I Hate About You is an American television sitcom broadcast on ABC Family beginning in 2009. Developed by Carter Covington , the show ...

5 things to do today: Visit the exhibition The Road and register to hear the talk Up In the Air... Space ...
Our daily round up of things to do. Visit the exhibition The Road, see films as part of The 77th Art screening series, sign up for the chance ...

SMEs and the Internet of Things
The Internet of Things is usually thought of in terms of its impact on consumers, but it has an impact on business users too. UK support company ...

The crazy things that happen when you dump salt into a bottle of Coke
The wacky guy behind the CrazyRussianHacker YouTube account has been a little obsessed with doing things to Coca Cola lately. You may remember ...

I watched 5 — 5! — of the Sunday morning shows and ended up with not one thing I wanted to blog.
It was all crushingly dull. The pundits really don't seem to have anything more to say. The closest I came was wanting to say one thing was especially ...

Of Wang Chung & Wing Chun: All Things Must Pass & Ip Man 3 by Dennis Hartley
Saturday Night at the Movies Of Wang Chung &Wing Chun: All Things Must Pass (***) & Ip Man 3 (**½) By Dennis Hartley The first time I visited ...

"I'M GOING TO DO A LOT OF THINGS": Trump Vows to Use Obama-Style Executive Actions to Bypass Congress ...
... as President Barack Obama – even though the billionaire said his actions would be “much better” than Obama’s and done for “the right things.” ...

The 10 most important things in the world right now
Good morning! Here's what you need to know on Monday. 1. The first white British man has been publicly identified as joining ISIS in Syria, ...

Panthers pound Cards 49-15, advance to Super Bowl 50: 10 things to know
Led by Cam Newton and a dominant defense, the Panthers stomped the NFC's No. 2 seed on Sunday night. Two weeks from now, they'll meet the Broncos ...