External HD polling?

I'm running the latest Yosemite on my late '14 5K iMac. I've got a 2 TB
external USB 3 with one large partition for Time Machine and one small
partition with a plain vanilla system, also 10.10.5, for (very rare)
alternative boot-up purposes.

The external drive is audible; not problematically so but you hear it
when it spins up. What I would like to know is _why_ it spins up.

Even when the iMac is booted 'normally' from its internal SSD, there are
frequent times, in-between and unrelated-to any Time Machine cycles,
when the external HD comes to life.

Is there anything I can look at in Console (or ???) that will tell me
what is causing this?

TIA.

Henry
0
henry999
8/30/2015 6:00:37 AM
comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc 4192 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

On 2015-08-30, Henry <henry999@eircom.net> wrote:
> I'm running the latest Yosemite on my late '14 5K iMac. I've got a 2 TB
> external USB 3 with one large partition for Time Machine and one small
> partition with a plain vanilla system, also 10.10.5, for (very rare)
> alternative boot-up purposes.
>
> The external drive is audible; not problematically so but you hear it
> when it spins up. What I would like to know is _why_ it spins up.
>
> Even when the iMac is booted 'normally' from its internal SSD, there are
> frequent times, in-between and unrelated-to any Time Machine cycles,
> when the external HD comes to life.
>
> Is there anything I can look at in Console (or ???) that will tell me
> what is causing this?

Spotlight is probably indexing the volume.

JR
0
Jolly
8/30/2015 6:04:47 AM
On Saturday, August 29, 2015 at 11:04:51 PM UTC-7, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2015-08-30, Henry <henry999@eircom.net> wrote:
> > I'm running the latest Yosemite on my late '14 5K iMac. I've got a 2 TB
> > external USB 3 with one large partition for Time Machine and one small
> > partition with a plain vanilla system, also 10.10.5, for (very rare)
> > alternative boot-up purposes.
> >
> > The external drive is audible; not problematically so but you hear it
> > when it spins up. What I would like to know is _why_ it spins up.
> >
> > Even when the iMac is booted 'normally' from its internal SSD, there are
> > frequent times, in-between and unrelated-to any Time Machine cycles,
> > when the external HD comes to life.
> >
> > Is there anything I can look at in Console (or ???) that will tell me
> > what is causing this?
>
> Spotlight is probably indexing the volume.
>
> --
> E-mail sent to this address may be devoured by my ravenous SPAM filter.
> I often ignore posts from Google. Use a real news client instead.
>
> JR

it seems that the most obvious reason is that the time machine is automatically saving your most recent data, try opening it to see when it's most recent save was done the next time you notice it spinning up ?
0
The
9/8/2015 7:14:43 PM
In article <6e94e991-23ea-4ded-905d-b466ec08964d@googlegroups.com>,
 The Translucent Amoebae <thetranslucentamoebae@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Saturday, August 29, 2015 at 11:04:51 PM UTC-7, Jolly Roger wrote:
> > On 2015-08-30, Henry <henry999@eircom.net> wrote:
> > > I'm running the latest Yosemite on my late '14 5K iMac. I've got a 2 TB
> > > external USB 3 with one large partition for Time Machine and one small
> > > partition with a plain vanilla system, also 10.10.5, for (very rare)
> > > alternative boot-up purposes.
> > >
> > > The external drive is audible; not problematically so but you hear it
> > > when it spins up. What I would like to know is _why_ it spins up.
> > >
> > > Even when the iMac is booted 'normally' from its internal SSD, there are
> > > frequent times, in-between and unrelated-to any Time Machine cycles,
> > > when the external HD comes to life.
> > >
> > > Is there anything I can look at in Console (or ???) that will tell me
> > > what is causing this?
> >
> > Spotlight is probably indexing the volume.
> >
> > --
> > E-mail sent to this address may be devoured by my ravenous SPAM filter.
> > I often ignore posts from Google. Use a real news client instead.
> >
> > JR
>
> it seems that the most obvious reason is that the time machine is
> automatically saving your most recent data, try opening it to see when it's
> most recent save was done the next time you notice it spinning up ?

Can't you just look at the Time Machine icon in the menubar when you
hear it spin up? If it's doing a backup the arrow in the icon rotates.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA
Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> Can't you just look at the Time Machine icon in the menubar when you
> hear it spin up? If it's doing a backup the arrow in the icon rotates.

not anymore.
0
nospam
9/8/2015 9:07:08 PM
On 2015-09-08, nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> In article <barmar-9EEB1C.17034908092015@88-209-239-213.giganet.hu>,
> Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>
>> Can't you just look at the Time Machine icon in the menubar when you
>> hear it spin up? If it's doing a backup the arrow in the icon rotates.
>
> not anymore.

You can certainly click the icon to see whether a backup is in progress,
though.

JR
0
Jolly
9/8/2015 9:32:56 PM
In article <d592g7FlthoU3@mid.individual.net>, Jolly Roger
<jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:

> >> Can't you just look at the Time Machine icon in the menubar when you
> >> hear it spin up? If it's doing a backup the arrow in the icon rotates.
> >
> > not anymore.
>
> You can certainly click the icon to see whether a backup is in progress,
> though.

true, but clicking it all the time to find out if a backup is in
progress gets old.
0
nospam
9/8/2015 10:38:43 PM
nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> > > not anymore.
> >
> > You can certainly click the icon to see whether a backup is in progress,
> > though.
>
> true, but clicking it all the time to find out if a backup is in
> progress gets old.

Whichever system got rid of the spinning animation replaced it with a
static indication, which is still used in Yosemite: while a backup is
preparing or in progress, the curved arrow on the icon gains a second
arrow head (at about 7:30 on the clock face).

There is no visible indication of the post-backup cleanup phase (short
of clicking on the menu to see what it is doing).
--
David Empson
dempson@actrix.gen.nz
<dempson@actrix.gen.nz> wrote:

> > > You can certainly click the icon to see whether a backup is in progress,
> > > though.
> >
> > true, but clicking it all the time to find out if a backup is in
> > progress gets old.
>
> Whichever system got rid of the spinning animation

mavericks

> replaced it with a
> static indication, which is still used in Yosemite: while a backup is
> preparing or in progress, the curved arrow on the icon gains a second
> arrow head (at about 7:30 on the clock face).

which is barely noticeable.
0
nospam
9/8/2015 11:58:40 PM
On 2015-09-08, David Empson <dempson@actrix.gen.nz> wrote:
> nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>> > You can certainly click the icon to see whether a backup is in progress,
>> > though.
>>
>> true, but clicking it all the time to find out if a backup is in
>> progress gets old.
>
> Whichever system got rid of the spinning animation replaced it with a
> static indication, which is still used in Yosemite: while a backup is
> preparing or in progress, the curved arrow on the icon gains a second
> arrow head (at about 7:30 on the clock face).

True. Thanks for pointing that out.

JR
0
Jolly
9/9/2015 12:00:50 AM
The Translucent Amoebae <thetranslucentamoebae@gmail.com> wrote:

> > On 2015-08-30, Henry <henry999@eircom.net> wrote:

> > > I'm running the latest Yosemite on my late '14 5K iMac. I've got a 2 TB
> > > external USB 3 with one large partition for Time Machine and one small
> > > partition with a plain vanilla system, also 10.10.5, for (very rare)
> > > alternative boot-up purposes.
> > >
> > > The external drive is audible; not problematically so but you hear it
> > > when it spins up. What I would like to know is _why_ it spins up.
> > >
> > > Even when the iMac is booted 'normally' from its internal SSD, there are
> > > frequent times, in-between and unrelated-to any Time Machine cycles,
> > > when the external HD comes to life.
> > >
> > > Is there anything I can look at in Console (or ???) that will tell me
> > > what is causing this?

> it seems that the most obvious reason is that the time machine is
> automatically saving your most recent data, try opening it to see when
> it's [sic] most recent save was done the next time you notice it spinning up ?

Erm ... I know how Time Machine works, which is why in my original query
I mentioned that this happens

>> in-between and unrelated-to any Time Machine cycles

As further information, let me add this: the 'activity' light of the
external HD has just come on (steady). It is now 7:49. I look at TM
preferences and find this:

latest backup: today 7:26
next backup: today 8:25

In addition: both volumes of the external HD have been added to the
'Prevent Spotlight from searching these locations' list, so an earlier
suggested explanation that the disk was spinning up because Spotlight
was updating its index should be precluded.

So, the mystery remains ...
0
henry999
9/10/2015 5:06:36 AM
On 2015-09-10, Henry <henry999@eircom.net> wrote:

> As further information, let me add this: the 'activity' light of the
> external HD has just come on (steady). It is now 7:49. I look at TM
> preferences and find this:
>
> latest backup: today 7:26
> next backup: today 8:25
>
> In addition: both volumes of the external HD have been added to the
> 'Prevent Spotlight from searching these locations' list, so an earlier
> suggested explanation that the disk was spinning up because Spotlight
> was updating its index should be precluded.
>
> So, the mystery remains ...

If you want to know what is accessing a volume, use the "lsof" command
to list all open files on that volume, like so:

sudo lsof /Volumes/nameofvolume

You need to do this in an OS X account with administrative privileges.

Do this when the drive activity light is lit.

Feel free to post the output here for help interpreting it.

JR
0
Jolly

MAC G3 External HD Problem
I have older Mac G3 with 1GHD, running OS 9.1. (Need to keep machine for tax programs). Bought external LaCie SCSI 50G as an add on. G3 hard drive is "HFS". External 50G is "HFS+". Desktop shows both hard drives fine. Systems profiler shows both fine. Mac G3 is "0" and 50G add on is "1" in SCSI chain. Why does the MAC lock up when I try to move-copy existing Folders to the new 50GHD? Have to do hard reboot! Could this be a software problem? If I copy-move one (1) file at a time... no problem and no lock up. Copy-write process starts and then freezes w...

OT: External HD for Mac Mini
Sorry for the OTP. Does anyone have the link to the external hd that came out for the Mini lately? It's the one that has the same form factor and the extra ports. Thanks. -- Cheers, Bob S In article <Bob_S-2D9E3E.14324520052005@newsclstr01.news.prodigy.com>, Bob S <Bob_S@NoSpam.Com> wrote: > Sorry for the OTP. Does anyone have the link to the external hd that > came out for the Mini lately? It's the one that has the same form > factor and the extra ports. Thanks. www.micronet.com In article <Bob_S-2D9E3E.14324520052005@newsclstr01.news.prodigy....

External HD only showing on one Mac
Hi all, I curently own a G4 PowerbBook (OS 10.4.10) and just bought a G5 Mac Pro (OS 10.4.10). I also have a Macpower IceCube 3.5" 320GB HD with 2 S400 Firewire ports. Currently the Ex HD has no problems showing up on my PowerBook (as it always has). But when connected to both machines it will only show up on one or the other (depending on which machine detects it first). I've called Apple Support, but the only thing they could suggest doing was reformatting the Ex HD from a FAT 32 file system to Mac Extended (Journaled) file system. So I tried that, and still no luck - then they su...

MAC G3 External HD Problem
I have older Mac G3 with 1GHD, running OS 9.1. (Need to keep machine for tax programs). Bought external LaCie SCSI 50G as an add on. G3 hard drive is "HFS". External 50G is "HFS+". Desktop shows both hard drives fine. Systems profiler shows both fine. Mac G3 is "0" and 50G add on is "1" in SCSI chain. Why does the MAC lock up when I try to move-copy existing Folders to the new 50GHD? Have to do hard reboot! If I copy-move one (1) file at a time... no problem and no lock up. Copy-write process starts and then freezes with folders or multiple files. Cou...

External HD only showing on one Mac
Hi all, I curently own a G4 PowerbBook (OS 10.4.10) and just bought a G5 Mac Pro (OS 10.4.10). I also have a Macpower IceCube 3.5" 320GB HD with 2 S400 Firewire ports. Currently the Ex HD has no problems showing up on my PowerBook (as it always has). But when connected to both machines it will only show up on one or the other (depending on which machine detects it first). I've called Apple Support, but the only thing they could suggest doing was reformatting the Ex HD from a FAT 32 file system to Mac Extended (Journaled) file system. So I tried that, and still no luck - t...

Transferring applications to External HD and restoring mac
I'm trying to restore my mac to the original on the account that it's so slow now. I tried to transfer my adobe and macromedia suites to my external HD, but all it will allow me to do is copy them. I've left my disks at home, and of course, not everything will copy. Does anyone know how to get around this, and transfer the applications? Also, is there something that I'm missing to make my applications faster? Will restoring my mac to the orignal actually help with this? Thanks for the help. Kory In article <1168055047.398770.33960@s34g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, ...

MAC G3 External HD Problem #2
I have older Mac G3 with 1GHD, running OS 9.1. (Need to keep machine for tax programs). Bought external LaCie SCSI 50G as an add on. G3 hard drive is "HFS". External 50G is "HFS+". Desktop shows both hard drives fine. Systems profiler shows both fine. Mac G3 is "0" and 50G add on is "1" in SCSI chain. Why does the MAC lock up when I try to move-copy existing Folders to the new 50GHD? Have to do hard reboot! If I copy-move one (1) file at a time... no problem and no lock up. Copy-write process starts and then freezes with folders or multiple files. Cou...

help to access external HD from PC and Mac
I'm regularly a PC user but have just purchased a second computer which is a MAC. I backup my data to a 500GB External HD with 5 NTFS partitions of 100GB each. Each partition contains a different type of date, ie Music, Videos, Docs, etc. I used separate partition to avoid the risk of corrupting all my data if murphy visits. (This has happened.) With my new mac, my goal now is to be able to use this so I can have 1 common storage for both my PC and Mac. I want to be able to access the data in the HD from both computers. NTFS doesn't work because it is not supported natively ...

External HD with no external power?
External hard drives (USB) always seem to need an external power adapter. That's very clunky and hard to carry around. Are there external hard drives that don't need external power? I know that there are some drives that don't need an external power adapter when plugged into *two* USB plugs at the computer. However, that's not an option for me since my two USB plugs are at two different sides of the laptops. Is Firewire the way to go? Thanks! Markus "Markus Dehmann" <markus.dehmann@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1171640040.434446.239940@k78g2000cwa.goo...

Which 400GB External Firewire HD for Mac G4 867mhz
Being retired I finally want to get down to editing all those nice camcorder tapes I have using Final Cut Express. My HW is a 2001 G4 Quicksilver with 1.125GB ram but it needs more HD. So that's why I'm looking at FW drives. The G4 only has FW 400 of course but that should be fast enough for me. The September Macworld review of desktop HD's recommended the Iomega Black series or the OWC Aluminum series as their top two ranked drives. Seems the cost is approx $1 per GB and my budget is around $400. Any recommendations, suggestions, comments are appreciated. TIA and ...

FS: misc. Mac/PC hardware/software stuff
Apple Power Mac 7300/200 2G HD 512 RAM (Kingston) & manuals $50 Sony CPD-100VS monitor $25 Sony VAIO PCV-90 $50 Global Village Teleport 56K modem $25 Global Village Platinum 28.8 modem & manuals $25 SoundBlaster speakers $25 Iomega SCSI Zip 100 MB external drive $25 Iomega SCSI Jaz 2 G external drive $25 100 MB Zip disks $1 each (14) 250 MB Zip disks $3 each (26) 1 G Jaz disks $5 each (19) 2 G Jaz disks $7 each (3) Lacie 1 GB SCSI external drive $25 Palm Vx PDA $25 Agfa Arcus SCSI scanner (brand new, never used) $50 ATI video card 8 MB $20 ...

Backup of Mac files on a NTFS-formatted external HD?
Is there a way for me to back up my Mac files on a NTFS-formatted external hard drive? In article <1169338689.780434.317470@s34g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, "derm318" <derm318@gmail.com> wrote: > Is there a way for me to back up my Mac files on a NTFS-formatted > external hard drive? Unless I'm mistaken, NTFS is readonly on MacOSX. Some ideas. Install MacFUSE <http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/> and the ntfs component. Use Parallels or VMware Fusion and install Windows-XP, and use it to write the the NTFS file system. Put th...

Will my mac balk on a partioned external FAT-16 HD?
Hello All, I do audio work and routinely need to shuttle huge files between Wintel and Mac (10.3.9) -- Been happily using a 120gb drive formatted in FAT 16 housed in an enclosure that provides fw400 & usb2.0 enclosure. It's time for a new drive and I can get a 200 gb cheaper than 120gb drives. I'm assuming I'll not only have to stay with FAT 16 but also break the drive into < 137gb partiions (some kind of FAT 16 limit I think). Will my mac balk trying to access a FAT 16 partitioned external shuttle drive? Last I checked, Macs didn't read FAT 32 or NFTS f...

Help! File transfer from PC to Mac via external HD?
I need to transfer a large bunch of files from a PC (Windows XP) to a G4 Mac running OS 9.2.2. A colleague leant me a Maxtor 250 G external disk which I have sucessfully used for this purpose before. Shortly before I got it this time the disk had been reformatted with FAT-32 (I have no idea what this means). My problem is that although both PC and Mac will mount the disk using USB ports, files copied on to the disk from the PC are not seen by the Mac and vice-versa. In addition an i-Book using OSX will not mount the disk at all. Any ideas as to what is going on here and what m...

Web resources about - External HD polling? - comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc

Externals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
All of the Externals were originally portrayed as immortal and important, playing an extremely major role in the future and Apocalypse 's rise ...

Vatican orders external audit of assets - AdelaideNow Search Search
THE Vatican has ordered the first external audit of its assets as part of a drive by Pope Francis to bring transparency to its finances where ...

Vatican orders external audit of assets
The Vatican has ordered the first external audit of its assets as part of a drive by Pope Francis to bring transparency to its finances, where ...

Vatican orders external audit of assets
THE Vatican has ordered the first external audit of its assets as part of a drive by Pope Francis to bring transparency to its finances where ...

Sad decline of West Indies cricket can't be arrested without external help
The great West Indian cricket dynasty of the mid-1970s to the mid-1990s produced some of the finest cricketers of the 20th century.

How-To: Setup Photos and iCloud Photo Library with external storage + Time Machine backups
... photo library either, but Photos on OS X lets move your Photos library from the default Photos folder to cheaper and higher capacity external ...

ASUS Booth Tour at CES 2016: 10G Switches, External GPU Dock, USB-C Monitor and more
When ASUS emailed a couple of weeks before CES announcing that they had cancelled their press event for the show, we had a few question marks. ...

Review: Mophie Juice Pack Reserve for iPhone 6/6s & Power Reserve 1X external battery
Battery maker Mophie's latest portable charging accessories are compact, convenient and durable, making them an easy recommendation for anyone ...

CleanMyDrive 2 for Mac makes cleaning external drives as easy as one click
... OS X 10.10 or later. It’s a free tool designed to help users monitor their hard drives and quickly clean unspecified junk files from external ...

Amazon Sale offers big savings on internal and external Samsung SSD drives
SSD drives are crucial not just for laptop performance, but also for external storage to ensure lightning-fast access to all of your files. And ...