Format HFS on install of 9.2.2?

Any one know the trick to getting the installation of 9.2.2 to format the
drive HFS for later installation of OS X?

0
My
11/26/2004 4:48:29 AM
comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc 4192 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

On 26/11/04 4:48 am, in article zKqdnX6eJ-5PKDvcRVn-jQ@rcn.net, "My father's
son" <myfathersson@nospam.rcn.com> wrote:

> Any one know the trick to getting the installation of 9.2.2 to format the
> drive HFS for later installation of OS X?

??? Why would anyone want to format a disk as HFS is its going to have OS X
and its 100,000 files installed on it?

0
Bonge
11/26/2004 9:48:02 AM
In article <zKqdnX6eJ-5PKDvcRVn-jQ@rcn.net>, My father's son
<myfathersson@nospam.rcn.com> wrote:

> Any one know the trick to getting the installation of 9.2.2 to format the
> drive HFS for later installation of OS X?

Surely you mean HFS+ and that the drive is currently HFS?

If so, back up, reformat, restore.

If you mean the drive is currently HFS+ and you want to go back to
HFS...

Don't do that.
0
Dave
11/26/2004 1:36:41 PM
My father's son <myfathersson@nospam.rcn.com> wrote:

> Any one know the trick to getting the installation of 9.2.2 to format the
> drive HFS for later installation of OS X?

You mean HFS+ (aka Mac OS Extended), and you have to erase the drive to
change the format.  Alternatively, you can buy Alsoft's PlusMaker:

http://www.alsoftinc.com/PlusMaker/index.html

--
Mike Rosenberg
Toyota Prius fans: Check out alt.autos.toyota.prius

Incidentally it also tells me to back everything up and then tells me that
it is going to install to a new directory and not format the drive. it is
becoming maddening???

"Mike Rosenberg" <mike@POSTTOGROUP.invalid> wrote in message
> My father's son <myfathersson@nospam.rcn.com> wrote:
>
> > Any one know the trick to getting the installation of 9.2.2 to format
the
> > drive HFS for later installation of OS X?
>
> You mean HFS+ (aka Mac OS Extended), and you have to erase the drive to
> change the format.  Alternatively, you can buy Alsoft's PlusMaker:
>
> http://www.alsoftinc.com/PlusMaker/index.html
>
> --
> Mike Rosenberg
> <http://www.macconsult.com> Macintosh consulting services for NE Florida
> <http://bogart-tribute.net> Tribute to Humphrey Bogart
> Toyota Prius fans: Check out alt.autos.toyota.prius

0
Licensed
11/27/2004 2:40:39 AM
 Why cant you just format it HFS+?

0
My
11/27/2004 2:46:49 AM
My father's son wrote:

>  Why cant you just format it HFS+?

I don't know. Why can't you just format it HFS+ ?

[is it a riddle ?]

--
David Kennedy

http://www.anindianinexile.com
0
David
11/27/2004 9:56:41 AM
Licensed to Quill <vintagepen@compuserve.nospam.com> wrote:

> Sorry you are all right, I meant HFS+ but after all your posts, I still
> don't know how to format a drive using this method when reinstalling an OS.

A already told you that you either have to erase the drive or use
Alsoft's PlusMaker utility.  It has nothing to do with the OS 9
installer.

--
Mike Rosenberg
Toyota Prius fans: Check out alt.autos.toyota.prius
0
mike
11/27/2004 2:11:04 PM
In article <co8peq$luq$1@ngspool-d02.news.aol.com>, Licensed to Quill
<vintagepen@compuserve.nospam.com> wrote:

> Sorry you are all right, I meant HFS+ but after all your posts, I still
> don't know how to format a drive using this method when reinstalling an OS.
> THere doesnt seem to be an option to format it HFS+ when you install and the
> way it automatically formats it, I cant install OSX thereafter (XPF gives me
> awrong reading and wont install X).
>
> Incidentally it also tells me to back everything up and then tells me that
> it is going to install to a new directory and not format the drive. it is
> becoming maddening???

Boot off the OS X installer CD. From the menu bar, launch Disk Utility.

Click "Erase".

Select the disk on the left of the window.

Select Volume Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Click Options and select your desired option. Click OK or Cancel.

Click Erase.
0
Dave
11/27/2004 3:00:27 PM
In article <co8peq$luq$1@ngspool-d02.news.aol.com>,
 "Licensed to Quill" <vintagepen@compuserve.nospam.com> wrote:

> Sorry you are all right, I meant HFS+ but after all your posts, I still
> don't know how to format a drive using this method when reinstalling an OS.
> THere doesnt seem to be an option to format it HFS+ when you install and the
> way it automatically formats it, I cant install OSX thereafter (XPF gives me
> awrong reading and wont install X).
>
> Incidentally it also tells me to back everything up and then tells me that
> it is going to install to a new directory and not format the drive. it is
> becoming maddening???

On the Mac OS 9.* installation CD is a folder "Utilities"
In "Utilities" is "Drive Setup".
Double Click on "Drive Setup".
"Drive Setup" should give you a list of disks.
Select the disk you want to initialize.
The "Functions" menu gives you an entry "Initialization Options...".
"Initialization Options..." should let you choose how you want the
    disk initialized

    WARNING:  The next stop will erase all existing information
              on the disk.  Be sure you want to do that.  If
              you want to save anything, stop now and go save it.

Click on the "Initialize..." Button.
Quit
You can not install Mac OS 9.* on an HFS+ disk.

                                        Bob Harris

> "Mike Rosenberg" <mike@POSTTOGROUP.invalid> wrote in message
> > My father's son <myfathersson@nospam.rcn.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Any one know the trick to getting the installation of 9.2.2 to format
> the
> > > drive HFS for later installation of OS X?
> >
> > You mean HFS+ (aka Mac OS Extended), and you have to erase the drive to
> > change the format.  Alternatively, you can buy Alsoft's PlusMaker:
> >
> > http://www.alsoftinc.com/PlusMaker/index.html
> >
> > --
> > Mike Rosenberg
> > <http://www.macconsult.com> Macintosh consulting services for NE Florida
> > <http://bogart-tribute.net> Tribute to Humphrey Bogart
> > Toyota Prius fans: Check out alt.autos.toyota.prius
0
Bob
11/27/2004 9:54:35 PM
Wait a minute,  I am getting somehwat mixed messages here: I havent actually
got an OSX install disc

I have got a Panther install disc and a 9.2.2 install disc. I want to
install ExPostFacto to install Panther over 9.2.2 but when I try to run the
program it tells me either that it can't install Panther because the disc
isn't formatted HFS+ or that the present installation isnt an OSX
installation which I take to mean the same thing.  It SEEMS that XPF cant
install X on a non HFS+ hard disc so I presumed I had to format the disc
HFS+ and install 9.2.2 and then install X over that?

Where am I going wrong?
"Bob Harris" <harris@zk3.dec.com> wrote in message
> In article <co8peq$luq$1@ngspool-d02.news.aol.com>,
>  "Licensed to Quill" <vintagepen@compuserve.nospam.com> wrote:
>
> > Sorry you are all right, I meant HFS+ but after all your posts, I still
> > don't know how to format a drive using this method when reinstalling an
OS.
> > THere doesnt seem to be an option to format it HFS+ when you install and
the
> > way it automatically formats it, I cant install OSX thereafter (XPF
gives me
> > awrong reading and wont install X).
> >
> > Incidentally it also tells me to back everything up and then tells me
that
> > it is going to install to a new directory and not format the drive. it
is
> > becoming maddening???
>
> On the Mac OS 9.* installation CD is a folder "Utilities"
> In "Utilities" is "Drive Setup".
> Double Click on "Drive Setup".
> "Drive Setup" should give you a list of disks.
> Select the disk you want to initialize.
> The "Functions" menu gives you an entry "Initialization Options...".
> "Initialization Options..." should let you choose how you want the
>     disk initialized
>
>     WARNING:  The next stop will erase all existing information
>               on the disk.  Be sure you want to do that.  If
>               you want to save anything, stop now and go save it.
>
> Click on the "Initialize..." Button.
> Quit
> You can not install Mac OS 9.* on an HFS+ disk.
>
>                                         Bob Harris
>
> > "Mike Rosenberg" <mike@POSTTOGROUP.invalid> wrote in message

> > the
> > >
> > > You mean HFS+ (aka Mac OS Extended), and you have to erase the drive
> > > change the format.  Alternatively, you can buy Alsoft's PlusMaker:
> > >
> > > http://www.alsoftinc.com/PlusMaker/index.html
> > >
> > > --
> > > Mike Rosenberg
> > > <http://www.macconsult.com> Macintosh consulting services for NE
Florida
> > > <http://bogart-tribute.net> Tribute to Humphrey Bogart
> > > Toyota Prius fans: Check out alt.autos.toyota.prius

0
Licensed
11/28/2004 12:22:27 AM
Licensed to Quill <vintagepen@compuserve.nospam.com> wrote:

> I have got a Panther install disc and a 9.2.2 install disc. I want to
> install ExPostFacto to install Panther over 9.2.2 but when I try to run the
> program it tells me either that it can't install Panther because the disc
> isn't formatted HFS+ or that the present installation isnt an OSX
> installation which I take to mean the same thing.  It SEEMS that XPF cant
> install X on a non HFS+ hard disc so I presumed I had to format the disc
> HFS+ and install 9.2.2 and then install X over that?

You never mentioned Xpostfacto until now, so no one knew that was
involved.  Anyway, yes, the volume must be HFS+ to use XPF.  And to make
your drive HFS, you must either erase it or use Alsoft's PlusMaker.  So,
in other words, you must either back up its current contents if there
are any you wish to keep, or pay Alsoft to avoid the need.

--
Mike Rosenberg
Toyota Prius fans: Check out alt.autos.toyota.prius
0
mike
11/28/2004 12:44:31 AM
Bob Harris <harris@zk3.dec.com> wrote:

> You can not install Mac OS 9.* on an HFS+ disk.

You sure you don't mean 'You cannot install OS 9.* on an HFS disk'?
--
Peter
0
 peter@cara.demon.co.uk (Peter Ceresole) wrote:

> Bob Harris <harris@zk3.dec.com> wrote:
>
> > You can not install Mac OS 9.* on an HFS+ disk.
>
> You sure you don't mean 'You cannot install OS 9.* on an HFS disk'?

Actually, it was suppose to be

        You can now install Mac OS 9.* on the HFS+ disk.

My brain said one thing, but my fingers did what they pleased.  Sorry
about my fingers.  I find a lot of times when I start typing anything
that begins with 'no' my figures seem to automatically provide a 't'.

                                        Bob Harris
0
Bob
11/28/2004 1:37:36 AM
In article <cob5np$mc1$1@ngspool-d02.news.aol.com>, Licensed to Quill
<vintagepen@compuserve.nospam.com> wrote:

> Wait a minute,  I am getting somehwat mixed messages here: I havent actually
> got an OSX install disc
>
> I have got a Panther install disc and a 9.2.2 install disc.

I'm getting mixed messages here. You don't have an OS X installl disc,
but you have a Panther install disc? WTF do you think Panther is?
0
Dave
11/28/2004 2:11:45 AM
It is an upgrade of OS X, not an install disc or set of install discs one of
wihch is bootable  Didnt you know that?

"Dave Balderstone" <dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_S.balderstone.ca> wrote in message
> In article <cob5np$mc1$1@ngspool-d02.news.aol.com>, Licensed to Quill
> <vintagepen@compuserve.nospam.com> wrote:
>
> > Wait a minute,  I am getting somehwat mixed messages here: I havent
actually
> > got an OSX install disc
> >
> > I have got a Panther install disc and a 9.2.2 install disc.
>
> I'm getting mixed messages here. You don't have an OS X installl disc,
> but you have a Panther install disc? WTF do you think Panther is?

0
Licensed
11/28/2004 2:22:32 AM
but after all this, we are nowhere near figuring out how to format the disc
HFS+ and installing 9.2.2

> In article <1gnxrin.15i8ybm1da644uN%peter@cara.demon.co.uk>,
>  peter@cara.demon.co.uk (Peter Ceresole) wrote:
>
> > Bob Harris <harris@zk3.dec.com> wrote:
> >
> > > You can not install Mac OS 9.* on an HFS+ disk.
> >
> > You sure you don't mean 'You cannot install OS 9.* on an HFS disk'?
>
> Actually, it was suppose to be
>
>         You can now install Mac OS 9.* on the HFS+ disk.
>
> My brain said one thing, but my fingers did what they pleased.  Sorry
> about my fingers.  I find a lot of times when I start typing anything
> that begins with 'no' my figures seem to automatically provide a 't'.
>
>                                         Bob Harris

0
Licensed
11/28/2004 2:23:50 AM
In article <271120042011459768%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_S.balderstone.ca>,
 Dave Balderstone <dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_S.balderstone.ca> wrote:

> In article <cob5np$mc1$1@ngspool-d02.news.aol.com>, Licensed to Quill
> <vintagepen@compuserve.nospam.com> wrote:
>
> > Wait a minute,  I am getting somehwat mixed messages here: I havent actually
> > got an OSX install disc
> >
> > I have got a Panther install disc and a 9.2.2 install disc.
>
> I'm getting mixed messages here. You don't have an OS X installl disc,
> but you have a Panther install disc? WTF do you think Panther is?

Yea, but since he just recently mention Xpostfacto, that means he can
not boot Panther CD.

However, he should be able to boot a Mac OS 9 CD.  Unless he is being
unclear about whether he has a separate Mac OS 9 install CD.

If he needs XpostFacto because his system is not supported by Mac OS X
Panther, then he is going to either need Alsoft's PlusMaker (as
mentioned by Mike Rosenberg) to convert the HFS disk to an HFS+ disk, or
he will need to boot a Mac OS 9 CD and use the "Drive Setup" utility to
initialize the disk for HFS+.

One final maybe option is if he has Firewire on this system, _AND_ if it
will boot in "Target" mode (boot holding the 'T' key), _AND_ he has a
2nd Firewire Mac, _AND_ he has a Firewire cable, then he could mount the
disk to be formatted as HFS+ in Firewire target mode on the other Mac
and let the other Mac initialize the disk to HFS+.

                                        Bob Harris
0
Bob
11/28/2004 2:29:49 AM
In article <cobcou$rqt$1@ngspool-d02.news.aol.com>, Licensed to Quill
<vintagepen@compuserve.nospam.com> wrote:

> It is an upgrade of OS X, not an install disc or set of install discs one of
> wihch is bootable  Didnt you know that?

Panther was not an upgrade from Jaguar. It was a new version of the OS
that had to be purchased.

A set of Panther CDs by definition includes an install CD.
0
Dave
11/28/2004 2:57:04 AM
In article <harris-5EAFF5.21273727112004@cacnews.cac.cpqcorp.net>, Bob
Harris <harris@zk3.dec.com> wrote:

> Yea, but since he just recently mention Xpostfacto, that means he can
> not boot Panther CD.
>
> However, he should be able to boot a Mac OS 9 CD.  Unless he is being
> unclear about whether he has a separate Mac OS 9 install CD.

He's unclear about a lot of things at this point.

If he has an OS 9 CD, he can reformat as HFS+.
0
Dave
11/28/2004 2:59:15 AM
In article <cobcrc$rtm$1@ngspool-d02.news.aol.com>, Licensed to Quill
<vintagepen@compuserve.nospam.com> wrote:

> but after all this, we are nowhere near figuring out how to format the disc
> HFS+ and installing 9.2.2

Boot off the 9.2 install CD. Initialise as Mac OS Extended.

That's it.

Or the 9.1 CD, or the 8.6 CD...
0
Dave
11/28/2004 3:00:36 AM
In article <cobcrc$rtm$1@ngspool-d02.news.aol.com>,
 "Licensed to Quill" <vintagepen@compuserve.nospam.com> wrote:

> but after all this, we are nowhere near figuring out how to format the disc
> HFS+ and installing 9.2.2
>
> "Bob Harris" <harris@zk3.dec.com> wrote in message
> > In article <1gnxrin.15i8ybm1da644uN%peter@cara.demon.co.uk>,
> >  peter@cara.demon.co.uk (Peter Ceresole) wrote:

> > > You sure you don't mean 'You cannot install OS 9.* on an HFS disk'?
> >
> > Actually, it was suppose to be
> >
> >         You can now install Mac OS 9.* on the HFS+ disk.
> >
> > My brain said one thing, but my fingers did what they pleased.  Sorry
> > about my fingers.  I find a lot of times when I start typing anything
> > that begins with 'no' my figures seem to automatically provide a 't'.
> >
> >                                         Bob Harris

I listed 3 options in an other post after this one.  You should be
seeing shortly, if you have not already.

I guess a 4th option if none of the other 3 are suitable, then find a
Mac owner in the neighborhood with a Mac OS 9.* bootable CD and borrow
it to do the formatting.

A 5th option, do a Google search or checkout eBay for a Mac OS 9 install
CD.

Good luck.

                                        Bob Harris
0
Bob
11/28/2004 3:08:43 AM
In article <271120042057042937%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_S.balderstone.ca>,
 Dave Balderstone <dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_S.balderstone.ca> wrote:

> In article <cobcou$rqt$1@ngspool-d02.news.aol.com>, Licensed to Quill
> <vintagepen@compuserve.nospam.com> wrote:
>
> > It is an upgrade of OS X, not an install disc or set of install discs one of
> > wihch is bootable  Didnt you know that?
>
> Panther was not an upgrade from Jaguar. It was a new version of the OS
> that had to be purchased.

Depends where the discs came from, actually. It's possible that he's got
an install disc that was sent to someone who purchased a machine that
included Jaguar after Panther was released. I don't know if Apple is
still doing it, but it used to be the case that what you got in that
circumstance was a disc specifically built to upgrade.

That would be consistent with the OP getting a message saying his
current installation isn't an OS X one at any rate.

--
Change account to gw when responding by mail.
0
Bob Harris <harris@zk3.dec.com> wrote:

> If he needs XpostFacto because his system is not supported by Mac OS X
> Panther, then he is going to either need Alsoft's PlusMaker (as
> mentioned by Mike Rosenberg) to convert the HFS disk to an HFS+ disk, or
> he will need to boot a Mac OS 9 CD and use the "Drive Setup" utility to
> initialize the disk for HFS+.

Using Drive Setup would be fine, of course, but it's not necessary.
Once he's booted from the OS 9 CD, he can simply erase the drive and, in
doing do, he'll get to choose HFS+.

--
Mike Rosenberg
Toyota Prius fans: Check out alt.autos.toyota.prius
0
mike
11/28/2004 2:45:25 PM
Licensed to Quill <vintagepen@compuserve.nospam.com> wrote:

> but after all this, we are nowhere near figuring out how to format the disc
> HFS+ and installing 9.2.2

If by "we are nowhere near" you really mean "I've been told three
methods at least 2 or 3 times and haven't paid attention," then yes,
we're nowhere near.

Once again, you have three choices:

1. Boot from an installer CD from OS 8.1 through 9.2.1 (Apple never
released a full 9.2.2 CD) and erase the hard drive.

2. Boot from an installer CD and run Disk Utility.

3. Buy and run Alsoft's PlusMaker if you have stuff on the drive that
you don't want to lose and don't want to do a full backup and restore.

--
Mike Rosenberg
Toyota Prius fans: Check out alt.autos.toyota.prius
0
mike
11/28/2004 2:45:26 PM
The problem seems to be the time involved in seeing the messages you are
posting on the Compuserve server: Sometimes they dont get posted so that I
can see them for a day or so

However what I have deduced is that I should boot off a CD or add a drive to
the system. No one told me that when I do so, the whole computer wouldn't
start so I tried Command Option P R and it then saw the drive and I BOTH
initialised it AND formatted it HFS+.  I also discovered along the way that
there is an annoying propensity in the OS/hardware for it not to let you use
both drives unless you boot with the IDE connector disconnected and then
push the connector in when the computer has started booting into the OS!!!

So then I installed 9 on the system and tried to get XPF to install Panther,
which I have done before, (with the installation usually disappearing after
a few boots)

But now I fear I have exhausted the resources of a MAC newsgroup and the
problem lies with XPF:  It lets me start to install Panther but on first
boot duing the install process (immediately after leaving 9) the whole
computer won't boot.

Does anyone know what causes this or should I now joing the XPF group. (I
pretty much know I am going to have to anyway to ascertain why it only lets
me boot a few times in Panther: If this is an inherent limitation of the
software or if it SHOULD let you use Panther as it suggests)

> Licensed to Quill <vintagepen@compuserve.nospam.com> wrote:
>
> > but after all this, we are nowhere near figuring out how to format the
disc
> > HFS+ and installing 9.2.2
>
> If by "we are nowhere near" you really mean "I've been told three
> methods at least 2 or 3 times and haven't paid attention," then yes,
> we're nowhere near.
>
> Once again, you have three choices:
>
> 1. Boot from an installer CD from OS 8.1 through 9.2.1 (Apple never
> released a full 9.2.2 CD) and erase the hard drive.
>
> 2. Boot from an installer CD and run Disk Utility.
>
> 3. Buy and run Alsoft's PlusMaker if you have stuff on the drive that
> you don't want to lose and don't want to do a full backup and restore.
>
> --
> Mike Rosenberg
> <http://www.macconsult.com> Macintosh consulting services for NE Florida
> <http://bogart-tribute.net> Tribute to Humphrey Bogart
> Toyota Prius fans: Check out alt.autos.toyota.prius

0
Licensed
11/28/2004 4:05:13 PM
Licensed to Quill <vintagepen@compuserve.nospam.com> wrote:

> The problem seems to be the time involved in seeing the messages you are
> posting on the Compuserve server: Sometimes they dont get posted so that I
> can see them for a day or so

If you are having news server problems, try one of the free news servers
which update almost instantly. A good example is news.individual.net, a
server run by the Free University of Berlin. Have a look at
www.news.individual.net. To use it you need to register but it's free,
and very fast. It doesn't carry binary newsgroups.
--
Peter
0
Licensed to Quill wrote:

<snip>

> However what I have deduced is that I should boot off a CD or add a drive to
> the system. No one told me that when I do so, the whole computer wouldn't
> start so I tried Command Option P R and it then saw the drive and I BOTH
> initialised it AND formatted it HFS+.  I also discovered along the way that
> there is an annoying propensity in the OS/hardware for it not to let you use
> both drives unless you boot with the IDE connector disconnected and then
> push the connector in when the computer has started booting into the OS!!!

<snip HFS*>

When that happened to me, I'd forgotten to set the second drive as
'Slave' on an IDE interface and when I had two drives with the same SCSI ID.

Bob W
0
Bob
11/28/2004 7:53:00 PM
(Actually I discovered eventually that the problem was minimised, -  it
didnt go away,- by putting the secondary IDE drive on the CD ROM chain to
PARK whatever that means, cos I read somewhere that Park was equivalent to
Cable Select)

"Bob Wardrope" <newsbybobwar@blueyonder.invalid> wrote in message
> Licensed to Quill wrote:
>
> <snip>
> >
> > However what I have deduced is that I should boot off a CD or add a
drive to
> > the system. No one told me that when I do so, the whole computer
wouldn't
> > start so I tried Command Option P R and it then saw the drive and I BOTH
> > initialised it AND formatted it HFS+.  I also discovered along the way
that
> > there is an annoying propensity in the OS/hardware for it not to let you
use
> > both drives unless you boot with the IDE connector disconnected and then
> > push the connector in when the computer has started booting into the
OS!!!

> <snip HFS*>
>
> When that happened to me, I'd forgotten to set the second drive as
> 'Slave' on an IDE interface and when I had two drives with the same SCSI
ID.

> Bob W

0
Licensed
11/28/2004 9:30:53 PM
Gregory Weston <uce@splook.com> wrote:

> That would be consistent with the OP getting a message saying his
> current installation isn't an OS X one at any rate.

Wouldn't excuse his attitude though.

        -z-

--
My lozenge is a full earthy herbal lozenge incorporating a miscellanea
of weeds known for advancing sexual longing and performance, causing
Bob Harris <harris@zk3.dec.com> wrote:

> I find a lot of times when I start typing anything
> that begins with 'no' my figures seem to automatically provide a 't'.

That's because you're a not head.

        -z-     ;)

--
My lozenge is a full earthy herbal lozenge incorporating a miscellanea
of weeds known for advancing sexual longing and performance, causing
an increase in sexual craving, a betterment in your volume and
execution, besides as increased energy and joy during sexual activeness.
0
me3
11/29/2004 12:03:43 AM
Licensed to Quill <vintagepen@compuserve.nospam.com> wrote:

> but after all this, we are nowhere near figuring out how to format the disc
> HFS+ and installing 9.2.2

Are you a troll? Or just not paying attention?

        -z-

--
My lozenge is a full earthy herbal lozenge incorporating a miscellanea
of weeds known for advancing sexual longing and performance, causing
an increase in sexual craving, a betterment in your volume and
execution, besides as increased energy and joy during sexual activeness.
0
me3
11/29/2004 12:03:44 AM
In article <1gnz2s7.b3lbcps8890pN%me3@privacy.net>,
 me3@privacy.net (zoara) wrote:

> Bob Harris <harris@zk3.dec.com> wrote:
>
> > I find a lot of times when I start typing anything
> > that begins with 'no' my figures seem to automatically provide a 't'.
>
> That's because you're a not head.
>
>         -z-     ;)

Yes, sometimes my thinking gets tied up in knots :-)

                                Bob Harris
0
Bob
11/29/2004 12:26:05 AM
Licensed to Quill wrote:

> (Actually I discovered eventually that the problem was minimised, -  it
> didnt go away,- by putting the secondary IDE drive on the CD ROM chain to
> PARK whatever that means, cos I read somewhere that Park was equivalent to
> Cable Select)

Snip.

Please do not top post. Place your reply underneath whatever you decide
is relevant and snip the rest. It makes life so much easier for everyone.

--
David Kennedy

http://www.anindianinexile.com
0
David
11/29/2004 8:54:52 AM
Licensed to Quill wrote:

> "Bob Wardrope" <newsbybobwar@blueyonder.invalid> wrote in message

<snip IDE>

>><snip HFS*>
>>
>>When that happened to me, I'd forgotten to set the second drive as
>>'Slave' on an IDE interface and when I had two drives with the same SCSI
>
 > (Actually I discovered eventually that the problem was minimised, -  it
 > didn't go away,- by putting the secondary IDE drive on the CD ROM
chain to
 > PARK whatever that means, cos I read somewhere that Park was
equivalent to
 > Cable Select)

I don't believe so, Cable Select *should* only work with a *special* IDE
cable. Park may indicate auto parking of the drive read heads IMBTW.

Is the machine you're trying to install OS X onto a rev 1 or
transitional 1-2 B&W G3[1]? There is a fault in the IDE controller which
does not allow Master/ Slave configuration on certain/ all drive
configurations (I have one and opted for a SCSI to IDE converter to get
round the problem, I'd already installed a SCSI card). I may be mistaken
but if it is a B&W G3, do you need to use XPF to install Panther??

Bob W
[1] If it is, I claim any prize that may have been offered :-)
0
Bob
11/29/2004 11:05:05 AM
> I don't believe so, Cable Select *should* only work with a *special* IDE
> cable. Park may indicate auto parking of the drive read heads IMBTW.

Surely any IDE cable with two connectors should work with CS mode?
Otherwise what does 'cable select' mean?  Put another way, what does the
word "special" in your message mean?

> Is the machine you're trying to install OS X onto a rev 1 or
> transitional 1-2 B&W G3[1]? There is a fault in the IDE controller which
> does not allow Master/ Slave configuration on certain/ all drive
> configurations (I have one and opted for a SCSI to IDE converter to get
> round the problem, I'd already installed a SCSI card). I may be mistaken
> but if it is a B&W G3, do you need to use XPF to install Panther??
The point is that it is a beige flat G3 (although a late one, a 300 MHz)
which does need XPF to install Panther.

0
Licensed
11/29/2004 1:20:28 PM
Licensed to Quill wrote:
>>I don't believe so, Cable Select *should* only work with a *special* IDE
>>cable. Park may indicate auto parking of the drive read heads IMBTW.
>

> Surely any IDE cable with two connectors should work with CS mode?
> Otherwise what does 'cable select' mean?  Put another way, what does the
> word "special" in your message mean?

Two of the data lines are severed/ punched out to indicate which drive
is master/ which is slave. Position of the drive on the cable dictates
which drive is which, when both are jumper set for Cable Select.

>>Is the machine you're trying to install OS X onto a rev 1 or
>>transitional 1-2 B&W G3[1]? There is a fault in the IDE controller which
>>does not allow Master/ Slave configuration on certain/ all drive
>>configurations (I have one and opted for a SCSI to IDE converter to get
>>round the problem, I'd already installed a SCSI card). I may be mistaken
>>but if it is a B&W G3, do you need to use XPF to install Panther??
>
> The point is that it is a beige flat G3 (although a late one, a 300 MHz)
> which does need XPF to install Panther.

May have the same IDE controller as the early B&W G3 then :-(

Bob W
0
Bob