Mac IDE drives vs PC IDE drives

Do Mac IDE drives follow the same electrical standards as the PC IDE drives?

I want to transfer data from an old Performa 637CD to a slot loading iMac
running OS 9.1.

Since the Performa has no way to directly network to the iMac, I am thinking
of pulling the drive and putting it in my external USB drive case. Then I
just hook the drive to the iMac and transfer the data.

I have done this a lot when pulling drives from old PC's...I just drop the
drive in the case and hook it to another PC and I can get the data without
problem.

Any reason that it won't work on these Mac's?

0
Doug
8/4/2003 3:15:41 PM
comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc 4192 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

"Doug" <todouglas@comcast.net> wrote:

>Do Mac IDE drives follow the same electrical standards as the PC IDE drives?
>
>I want to transfer data from an old Performa 637CD to a slot loading iMac
>running OS 9.1.
>
>Since the Performa has no way to directly network to the iMac, I am thinking
>of pulling the drive and putting it in my external USB drive case. Then I
>just hook the drive to the iMac and transfer the data.
>
>I have done this a lot when pulling drives from old PC's...I just drop the
>drive in the case and hook it to another PC and I can get the data without
>problem.
>
>Any reason that it won't work on these Mac's?

Should not be a problem whatsoever.

But doesn't that Performa have an Ethernet port?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
H.B. Elkins
http://www.millenniumhwy.net
http://www.users.mis.net/~hbelkins

Visit these sites: http://www.webrats.com/kobewatch
http://www.binaryreport.com

To reply, you gotta do what NASCAR won't -- remove the restrictor plates!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
0
hbelkins
8/4/2003 3:33:22 PM
"Doug" <todouglas@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<xMuXa.63206$uu5.6498@sccrnsc04>...
> Do Mac IDE drives follow the same electrical standards as the PC IDE drives?

Yes.

There is a qualification that the IDE standard has changed over the
years.  You may not be able to put a new ATA drive in a very old
system.

Robert
0
rccharles