MAC SE: "Bomb" "Sys Error" / Address error" at start

Stephen Buggie                                           (505) 863-2390
Psychology Department
Univ. of New Mexico, Gallup                      February 15, 2006
200 College Road
Gallup NM 87301                                         buggie@unm.edu

NEED RESCUE DISK!  MAC SE -- BOMB System Error / Address Error

Dear Macintosh experts,

My Mac SE crashes at power-up. I gives the bell-chime, then it proceeds
though the launch sequence. After showing two extension-icons, it crashes.
Then a dialogue-box shows the BOMB icon with the message, SORRY, A SYSTEM
ERROR HAS OCCURRED --- ADDRESS ERROR  It never reaches the desktop; this
crash occurs every time.

The Mac SE has a 330 meg internal hard drive, System 6.x.x, and a 1.4 meg
internal 3.5 floppy drive. There is a SCSI port but no internal CD reader.
The b/w screen is extremely sharp in its focus. The computer worked fine
until about a year ago, when I stupidly put a file in the wrong folder. It
has crashed consistently ever since!  It has an assortment of software on
the hard drive, but I have backups of everything and am willing to
reformat the entire hard drive if necessary to get the computer working
again! If I can resurrect the computer, I hope to upgrade the system to
System 7.0 or 7.1 .

DONE SO FAR: Yes, I have launched it with shift-key down, to turn off the
extensions, but it always crashes  Ive also tried various rescue disks but
most are not recognized when in the floppy drive. Best luck was with
NORTON UTILITIES  APPLICATION ! FLOPPY DISK. This disk loads at power-up,
and I was able to use SPEED DISK to optimize the hard drive. None of the
other functions of this Norton disk could be activated. It has a companion
disk, Norton Utilities Application 2 disk, but at power-up, the hard drive
ignores Norton #2, spinning up the hard drive until the port of inevitable
crash.

 	I have Ted Landaus (1997) book, SAD MACS, BOMBS, AND OTHER
DISASTERS. The book describes many types of System Errors, but there is no
mention of address errors.

 	WHAT ELSE CAN I DO???? Im willing to erase the hard drive if
necessary. System 7.1 floppies are on their way from someone.  Does anyone
of a rescue disk that can fix this so-called  system error / address
error? I will pay postage costs if anyone can send me a rescue disk.

 	Please send advice. Please copy your reply to my e-mail address
buggie@unm.edu .   Thanks,  Steve Buggie, UNM-Gallup, 200 College Road,
Gallup NM   87301
Home phone  (505) 863-7504

Steve Buggie                              |  programmer/deejay  |
Psychology Professor                      | TROPICAL REGGAE SHOW|
Univ. of New Mexico, Gallup               | 10pm to 12pm Friday |
200 College Rd.                           |  KGLP-FM  91.7 MHz  |
Gallup, NM  87301                         | Gallup Public Radio |
**=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=**
**  buggie@unm.edu           phone: (505) 863-7504 or 863-2390 **
**     Music on this show is "roots reggae" only; No rap, No   **
**   hip-hop. Dancehall style will be aired only if it has a   **
**  clear reggae beat. For KGLP programming information, check **
**    our website: www.kglp.org   Promotional CDs should be    **
**  mailed to: Tropical Reggae,  KGLP-FM, Gallup Public Radio, **
**            200 College Road,  Gallup NM  87301              **
**  Hear the show in real time! Web-streamed sound at kglp.org **
**=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=**

0
buggie (20)
2/15/2006 9:11:11 PM
comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc 4192 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

Stephen E Buggie wrote:
> [...]
> mention of address errors.
>
>  	WHAT ELSE CAN I DO???? Im willing to erase the hard drive if
> necessary. System 7.1 floppies are on their way from someone.  Does anyone
> of a rescue disk that can fix this so-called  system error / address
> error? I will pay postage costs if anyone can send me a rescue disk.
>
>  	Please send advice. Please copy your reply to my e-mail address
> buggie@unm.edu .   Thanks,  Steve Buggie, UNM-Gallup, 200 College Road,
> Gallup NM   87301
> Home phone  (505) 863-7504
>

> Steve Buggie                              |  programmer/deejay  |
> Psychology Professor                      | TROPICAL REGGAE SHOW|
> Univ. of New Mexico, Gallup               | 10pm to 12pm Friday |
> 200 College Rd.                           |  KGLP-FM  91.7 MHz  |
> Gallup, NM  87301                         | Gallup Public Radio |

Wow this gave me a chance to fire up my old SE that's been in my
basement since 1986. Was out twice since then for a few weeks. When I
turned it on it only showed the folder/question mark. I was able to get
it to boot from 3 install disks I have with 7.0.1 and another MacVision
that said 1.1 ?? that's gotta be the MacVision version but it was under
the "About This Mac". All this time the HD didn't show up. So after 5
on and off cycles I lifted the SE about 3 inches off the desk and
dropped it. The drive whirred and booted up fine. It has 7.5.1 on it.
I also had a 6.0.8 that wouldn't boot but I could read it and saw the
elements were out of the system folder. So I put everything back in the
folder, blessed it, got the smiley Mac icon on the folder and it booted
right up in system 6.0.8 and finder 6.1.8. Good ol' Mac.
 If you can't boot from that 7.1 there's a 6.0.8 here:
http://home24.inet.tele.dk/ccadams/se/boot.html
but you'll need a working 3.5" floppy and probably classic. If nothing
else works I'll be glad to send one of the 7.0.1 installers.
Richard

0
spudnuty
2/16/2006 2:32:29 AM
In article <1140057149.932768.32000@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
 "spudnuty" <spudnuty@lycos.com> wrote:

> Wow this gave me a chance to fire up my old SE that's been in my
> basement since 1986.

Given that it was released in 1987 with the Mac II, that seems unlikely.
:-D

--
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams.
Howard S Shubs wrote:
> In article <1140057149.932768.32000@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
>  "spudnuty" <spudnuty@lycos.com> wrote:
>
> > Wow this gave me a chance to fire up my old SE that's been in my
> > basement since 1986.
>
> Given that it was released in 1987 with the Mac II, that seems unlikely.
> :-D
>
> --
> We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams,
> Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams.
> from "Ode", Arthur O'Shaughnessy
Yup that was my 128K that went into retirement when I got the SE ~ 87.
The SE was retired when I got the IIfx sometime in the early '90s
Richard

0
spudnuty
2/16/2006 9:33:57 PM
Stephen E Buggie <buggie@unm.edu> writes:

> My Mac SE crashes at power-up. I gives the bell-chime, then it
> proceeds though the launch sequence. After showing two
> extension-icons, it crashes. Then a dialogue-box shows the BOMB icon
> with the message, SORRY, A SYSTEM ERROR HAS OCCURRED --- ADDRESS ERROR
> It never reaches the desktop; this crash occurs every time.

Sounds like the hardware is OK, but you have a corrupt system extension.

> The Mac SE has a 330 meg internal hard drive, System 6.x.x, and a 1.4
> meg internal 3.5 floppy drive. There is a SCSI port but no internal CD
> reader. The b/w screen is extremely sharp in its focus. The computer
> worked fine until about a year ago, when I stupidly put a file in the
> wrong folder.

Sounds like you put a broken extension in the System Folder.  Boot from
a floppy or CD, drag the file out of there and see what happens.

> It has crashed consistently ever since!  It has an assortment of
> software on the hard drive, but I have backups of everything and am
> willing to reformat the entire hard drive if necessary to get the
> computer working again! If I can resurrect the computer, I hope to
> upgrade the system to System 7.0 or 7.1 .

You can upgrade as far as 7.5.5.  If you do not have 4M of RAM (the
maximum an SE can accept), then upgrade it first.  System 7 is very
painful with less than 4M.

You may want to keep System 6 on the drive anyway, however.  It is much
faster.

> DONE SO FAR: Yes, I have launched it with shift-key down, to turn off
> the extensions, but it always crashes

The ability to suppress extensions by holding down SHIFT was not present
in System 6.  So that won't work.  There were third-party extensions to
provide this, but you clearly can't get one installed right now!

> Ive also tried various rescue disks but most are not recognized when
> in the floppy drive. Best luck was with NORTON UTILITIES APPLICATION !
> FLOPPY DISK. This disk loads at power-up, and I was able to use SPEED
> DISK to optimize the hard drive. None of the other functions of this
> Norton disk could be activated. It has a companion disk, Norton
> Utilities Application 2 disk, but at power-up, the hard drive ignores
> Norton #2, spinning up the hard drive until the port of inevitable
> crash.

Speed disk won't do anything useful here.  Your problem has nothing to
do with fragmentation.

If you can get to the Finder from one of these boot disks, that's your
best bet.  Go into the System Folder and remove the file that you put in
there when this whole mess got started.

>  	WHAT ELSE CAN I DO???? Im willing to erase the hard drive if
>  	necessary. System 7.1 floppies are on their way from someone.
>  	Does anyone of a rescue disk that can fix this so-called
>  	system error / address error? I will pay postage costs if
>  	anyone can send me a rescue disk.

If you have access to some other Mac with a floppy drive, you may find
this page useful:

     http://www.info.apple.com/support/oldersoftwarelist.html

This is a repository of Apple products tat are old and unsupported but
still available.  In here, you can find:

      - System 6.0.8  (either 2 1.44M floppy images or 4 800K images)
      - System 7.5.3 (a 19-part self-extrcting archive)
      - The updater from 7.5.3 to 7.5.5

Good luck.

-- David
0