MDD G4 failure after down time

I recently moved and my G4 was packed for about six months. When
attempting to start it, it fails to recognize either hard drive and
neither OS on the computer (Tiger or Classic Mac). Attempting to
reinstall system software results in crash when asked to select a drive.
Attempting to start up disk utility results in a crash, when booted up
in system installer.

I have done the option-command-p-r thru three sets of chimes.

I am assuming dead drives. I have taken them out and given them a spin
(used to do this with good success with an old IIci).

Assuming nothing else can be done, where would you go for good deals on
hard drives. Does any SCSI hardrive work?

Lyndon

(I bought this computer as I have a lot of classic software and it was
the last model to boot up into Classic! Not giving it up!)

(comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc seems to be4 slow in traffic, so promise,
only going to post this in one other group)
0
Lyndon
9/26/2014 6:07:00 PM
comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc 4192 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

On 2014-09-26, Lyndon <lyndon@someisp.com> wrote:
> I recently moved and my G4 was packed for about six months. When
> attempting to start it, it fails to recognize either hard drive and
> neither OS on the computer (Tiger or Classic Mac). Attempting to
> reinstall system software results in crash when asked to select a drive.
> Attempting to start up disk utility results in a crash, when booted up
> in system installer.
>
> I have done the option-command-p-r thru three sets of chimes.
>
> I am assuming dead drives. I have taken them out and given them a spin
> (used to do this with good success with an old IIci).
>
> Assuming nothing else can be done, where would you go for good deals on
> hard drives. Does any SCSI hardrive work?
>
> Lyndon
>
> (I bought this computer as I have a lot of classic software and it was
> the last model to boot up into Classic! Not giving it up!)
>
> (comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc seems to be4 slow in traffic, so promise,
> only going to post this in one other group)

Sounds like the drive is dead.

Your computer requires Parallel ATA (PATA, ATA-100, aka: IDE) hard
drives rather than SCSI:

<http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g4/specs/powermac_g4_1.25_dp_mdd.html>

Drives of this type are cheap, because the world has moved on from PATA
to SATA and SSD drives. You should be able to find a good selection on
Amazon or anywhere that sells computer hardware, really. Here's what
Google Shopping shows:

<https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=PATA+7200+RPM&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#q=PATA+7200+RPM&rls=en&tbm=shop>

JR
0
Jolly
9/26/2014 7:39:58 PM
Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> writes:

>> I recently moved and my G4 was packed for about six months.

>Sounds like the drive is dead.

>Your computer requires Parallel ATA (PATA, ATA-100, aka: IDE) hard
>drives rather than SCSI:

I'd suggest replacing the PRAM battery first.  Further, if you
have access to another PATA machine, connect the drives and see
if they respond at all.

I say this having fought the "MDD won't boot" issue myself. In
my case, the CD is flakey and was no help; I booted off
FM/Target Mode to get started.

And separately, I put a SATA controller into mine as SATA drives
were cheaper than PATA ones.
David
9/30/2014 5:18:06 PM
On 2014-09-30, David Lesher <wb8foz@panix.com> wrote:
> Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> writes:
>

>>> I recently moved and my G4 was packed for about six months.
>
>>Sounds like the drive is dead.
>
>>Your computer requires Parallel ATA (PATA, ATA-100, aka: IDE) hard
>>drives rather than SCSI:
>
> I'd suggest replacing the PRAM battery first.  Further, if you
> have access to another PATA machine, connect the drives and see
> if they respond at all.

Yes. Those are good suggestions.

> I say this having fought the "MDD won't boot" issue myself. In
> my case, the CD is flakey and was no help; I booted off
> FM/Target Mode to get started.
>
> And separately, I put a SATA controller into mine as SATA drives
> were cheaper than PATA ones.

Yep. And optionally more capacity too. The only drawback to installing a
SATA card is it may require third-party device drivers to be installed
into the operating system. Various Mac OS third party device drivers can
and have caused stability and other system issues in the past. So
there's a certain level of risk associated with installing them. That
said, if a specific driver has no known major bugs with whatever version
of Mac OS you're running, the increase in performance and capacity
could easily compensate for the expense of the SATA controller card. : )

JR
0
Jolly
9/30/2014 7:07:11 PM
Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> writes:

>> And separately, I put a SATA controller into mine as SATA drives
>> were cheaper than PATA ones.

>Yep. And optionally more capacity too. The only drawback to installing a
>SATA card is it may require third-party device drivers to be installed
>into the operating system.

Mine did not. I got it from OWC.

I did so because I was cramming more drives into the MDD; the
SATA's were skinny enough so they fit stacked into the empty zip
drive compartment. Some day I may replace one of the several PATA RAID
arrays with newer, bigger, SATA's.

David
10/2/2014 5:40:20 AM
On 2014-10-02, David Lesher <wb8foz@panix.com> wrote:
> Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> writes:
>

>>> And separately, I put a SATA controller into mine as SATA drives
>>> were cheaper than PATA ones.
>
>>Yep. And optionally more capacity too. The only drawback to installing a
>>SATA card is it may require third-party device drivers to be installed
>>into the operating system.
>
> Mine did not. I got it from OWC.

Good to know. That would be a huge plus in my book. Thanks for the info.

JR
0
Jolly

MDD G4 failure after downtime
I recently moved and my G4 was packed for about six months. When attempting to start it, it fails to recognize either hard drive and neither OS on the computer (Tiger or Classic Mac). Attempting to reinstall system software results in crash when asked to select a drive. Attempting to start up disk utility results in a crash, when booted up in system installer. I have done the option-command-p-r thru three sets of chimes. I am assuming dead drives. I have taken them out and given them a spin (used to do this with good success with an old IIci). Assuming nothing else can be ...

DVD hardware failure on PowerBook G4
I was backing up to DVD and opened a new spindle of disks. The first one worked okay but then I got seven consecutive hardware failures. However, these always occurred at the end of the write. This got me to wondering if I have some defective DVDs or if my drive has failed. I think if it was the drive it would have failed early in the write, but I don't know. The error was always: Sense Key = HARDWARE ERROR Sense Code = 0x03 -- Robert B. Peirce, Venetia, PA 724-941-6883 bob AT peirce-family.com [Mac] rbp AT cooksonpeirce.com [Office] In article <bob-...

2940U2B SCSI card in Mac G4 MDD?
Hello, I have a Adaptec 2940U2B SCSI adapter from an older Mac. Just to be sure... Can I use it in a Mac Dual 1.25 G4 MDD? Or, anybody know source where I can find information like this? Thanks, Steven -- steven@sifre.nl In article <103ceahqp4v4h92@corp.supernews.com>, Steven <steven@sifre.nl> wrote: > Hello, > I have a Adaptec 2940U2B SCSI adapter from an older Mac. > Just to be sure... Can I use it in a Mac Dual 1.25 G4 MDD? > Or, anybody know source where I can find information like this? > Thanks, > > Steven That's the pci card from the B&W...

Mac Quadra to a Mac G4?
I have to transfer my Mac Quadra 840 files to my Mac G4. My Quadra OS was in the 7s (I can't even remember) and I am running OS X and Classic on my G4. Can I transfer Claris files to my Microsoft Word, and the old Photoshop, illustrator, painter, director files into the G4? I sure hope so. Thanks ...

Move Mac OS X Server G4/450->Mac mini G4 with CCC ok?
I have my fully configured Mac OS X Server 10.4.7 on a G4/450 and would like to move it to a Mac mini G4 as configured. Is there anything that prevents doing this with CarbonCopyCloner (mounting my "new" Mac mini in target mode as a Firewire disk)? TIA Marc -- Switzerland/Europe <http://www.heusser.com> remove CHEERS and from MERCIAL to get valid e-mail In article <marc.heusser-7CF8B6.17434924072006@news.unizh.ch>, Marc Heusser <marc.heusser@CHEERSheusser.comMERCIALSPAMMERS.invalid> wrote: > I have my fully configured Mac OS X Server 10.4.7 on a G4/450...

More Questions About the Power Mac G4 MDD (Wind Tunnel)?
Greetings, I am considering the purchase of a Power Mac G4. The ones currently on sale at the Apple Store I believe are refered to as the MDD model. I have been reading Discussions on the Support site at Apple and also at MacFixit. There are lots of discussions about the noise of the fans and the power supply. Have these issues been resolved by Apple? Do the newer MDD models currently in the Apple Stores still have these noisey fans? How loud are these fans? What are some of the other issues people have with their Power Mac G4 MDDs? Thank you in advance for your comments and help. ...

How to drive an iMac G4 display from non-mac hardware?
Hello all, first of all, is this the right group? Do you deal in just video editing hardware or also in the internal workings of the standard Mac/iMac hardware? Basically I would like to take an iMac G4 (the anglepoise one) case without the actual mac motherboard/PSU etc and interface a mini-itx motherboard to it for one of my own linux-based hardware projects, and am trying to find someone who knows how the *internal* connections are set up and what kind of signals are required to drive it. I don't need details on the *external* connections, there are ready-made converters fo...

FS: misc. Mac/PC hardware/software stuff
Apple Power Mac 7300/200 2G HD 512 RAM (Kingston) & manuals $50 Sony CPD-100VS monitor $25 Sony VAIO PCV-90 $50 Global Village Teleport 56K modem $25 Global Village Platinum 28.8 modem & manuals $25 SoundBlaster speakers $25 Iomega SCSI Zip 100 MB external drive $25 Iomega SCSI Jaz 2 G external drive $25 100 MB Zip disks $1 each (14) 250 MB Zip disks $3 each (26) 1 G Jaz disks $5 each (19) 2 G Jaz disks $7 each (3) Lacie 1 GB SCSI external drive $25 Palm Vx PDA $25 Agfa Arcus SCSI scanner (brand new, never used) $50 ATI video card 8 MB $20 ...

HDs for graphics
Here's my scenario... can't afford to, can't afford not to. I've been working without a net for way too long and it's catching up to me. My only backup has been zips and they have proven inadequate and too costly. It seems that any technical knowledge I once had has either become out-dated or has been forgotten:( Problems that have been occurring: Not enough memory messages, not enough disk space messages, programs quitting, not a lot of freezing surprisingly. And, in high-res in Photoshop or Illustrator with raster images.... crawling-apply-a-brush-stroke-and-go-to-lunch ...

iPhone time vs. Mac time
My iPhone is consistently 18 seconds ahead of both my Mac. Why? In article <doug-C1F85B.19042914072010@news.astraweb.com>, Doug Jantzer <doug@gmail.com.invalid> wrote: > My iPhone is consistently 18 seconds ahead of both my Mac. > > Why? Just a guess -- your iPhone gets its time from AT&T, and your Macs probably use the Apple Time Server. Why there would be that much difference I don't know. krishnananda <krishna@divine-life.in.invalid> wrote: > In article <doug-C1F85B.19042914072010@news.astraweb.com>, > Doug Jantzer &l...

Transferring Quadra Mac to Mac G4?
I have to transfer my Mac Quadra 840 files to my Mac G4. My Quadra OS was in the 7s (I can't even remember) and I am running OS X and Classic on my G4. Can I transfer Claris files to my Microsoft Word, and the old Photoshop, illustrator, painter, director files into the G4? I sure hope so. Thanks In article <8898fc46.0406231014.7347097e@posting.google.com>, healthystealthy@yahoo.com (Healthy Stealthy ;) wrote: > I have to transfer my Mac Quadra 840 files to my Mac G4. My Quadra OS > was in the 7s (I can't even remember) and I am running OS X and > Classic on my G4...

G4 FW800 vs. G4 MDD 2003
Greetings, I found some G4 FW800s and some G4 MMD 2003s for sale at an authorized Apple Reseller. I am wondering about the fan noise in these models. I have read about the fan noise in the earlier MDDs. Does the G4 FW800 have the same noisy fans as the earlier MDDs? The G4 FW800 seems like a good computer. I would be interested to hear some comments about the FW800 from people that are currently using them. Thank you in advance for your comments and help. Leigh Mon, 26 Jan 2004 04:31:46 GMT, none@hotlink.com suggested: : Greetings, : : I found some G4 FW800s and some G4 MMD 2003s fo...

User + sys times greater than elapsed time
Previously in these hallowed halls I have queried the values for user and sys cpu as reported by sysmaster. The documentation says that it reports minutes but I have proved that it is seconds. The today I hit another "strange effect". I have been trying to look into a performance problem so I have written a script which basically selects user and os times from the sysmaster database and stores them with the current time. I run this script at 10 minute intervals throughout the day. Imagine my surprise when I find that user time + sys time comes out to greater than elap...

wall time is less than user+sys time. why?
hi, I am attempting to profile my multi-threaded application by measuring the wall time (via gettimeofday())) and user+system time (via getrusage ()) on a Linux (2.6.18)/SLES10/x86-64 machine. something like this (pseudo code): ------------------- int main (void) { gettimeofday(&tstart, NULL); getrusage(RUSAGE_SELF, &rstart); do_task_involving_multiple_threads(); gettimeofday(&tend, NULL); getrusage(RUSAGE_SELF, &rend); // wall time print_time_diff(tstart, tend); // user time (time spent in userspace) print_time_diff(rstart.ru_utime, rend.ru_utime); /...

Web resources about - MDD G4 failure after down time - comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc

Liver failure - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... exist which are based on the time from onset of first hepatic symptoms to onset of encephalopathy. One scheme defines "acute hepatic failure" ...

British explorer Henry Worsley dies of 'complete organ failure' on solo Antarctic trek - CTV News
A British adventurer has died after suffering exhaustion and dehydration while attempting to become the first person to cross the Antarctic alone ...

How Russia rejected its latest anti-gay law, and what its failure means
Russia’s latest attempt to expand on its anti-gay legislation was thrown out on technical grounds within minutes of being brought up in committee. ...

In defense of Microsoft: there was no Surface failure at the NFL playoffs
... on the 'bash Microsoft' bandwagon, was astonishing. Even sites that reluctantly admitted that the problems were not down to Surface failure ...

"It's a sad commentary that Hilary Clinton's campaign sees her mistake as a failure to 'undercut' Bernie ...
"... rather than a failure to realize just how desperately many people are seeking what Bernie has to offer. She had a lot of time to get out ...

Draghi Rally Fizzles In Less Than One Day: Failure In Pictures
ECB President Mario Draghi attempted to talk the Euro lower and the market higher today in a lengthy one hour press conference following his ...

Bank Failures by Year
... FDIC insured banks failed. This was the lowest level since 2007. Most of the great recession / housing bust / financial crisis related failures ...

Bitcoin Price Falls 15% Amid Network 'Failure' Claims
The price of bitcoin declined sharply in global markets today, falling by more than 13%, according to the CoinDesk USD Bitcoin Price Index (BPI). ...

Cisco Sidesteps Blame For NFL Microsoft Tablet Failure
Cisco Sidesteps Blame For NFL Microsoft Tablet Failure CRN Cisco is sidestepping blame for a wireless networking issue during the NFL's AFC ...

Fox News Hosts Melt Down Over Failure Of Benghazi Movie '13 Hours'
If there's a better example of the alternate reality Fox News and "The Five" creates, I haven't seen one as good as this segment on the Benghazi ...