Mixed memory in mid 2013 27: iMac

My mid 2013 27" iMac came with 2 4GB memory sticks is slots 1 & 3.
I want to add 2 8GB sticks. Should I put them in slots 2 & 4 or move
the 4GB sticks to slots 1 & 2 (3 & 4) and put the 8GB sticks in
slots 3 & 4 (1 & 2)?

Thanks in advance.
0
Tom
9/4/2014 1:19:22 PM
comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc 4192 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

Tom Stiller <clusterfux.upmon@gmail.com> wrote:

> My mid 2013 27" iMac came with 2 4GB memory sticks is slots 1 & 3.
> I want to add 2 8GB sticks. Should I put them in slots 2 & 4 or move
> the 4GB sticks to slots 1 & 2 (3 & 4) and put the 8GB sticks in
> slots 3 & 4 (1 & 2)?

Follow Apple's example and pair the sticks in the odd slots or the even
slots. I don't think there's any advantage to putting the larger sticks
in 1/3 instead of 2/4; but if there is, Memory Slot Utility should tell
you on startup.

0
nmassello
9/4/2014 1:55:44 PM
On 2014-09-04, Neill Massello <nmassello@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Tom Stiller <clusterfux.upmon@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> My mid 2013 27" iMac came with 2 4GB memory sticks is slots 1 & 3.
>> I want to add 2 8GB sticks. Should I put them in slots 2 & 4 or move
>> the 4GB sticks to slots 1 & 2 (3 & 4) and put the 8GB sticks in
>> slots 3 & 4 (1 & 2)?
>
> Follow Apple's example and pair the sticks in the odd slots or the even
> slots. I don't think there's any advantage to putting the larger sticks
> in 1/3 instead of 2/4; but if there is, Memory Slot Utility should tell
> you on startup.

Thank you.
0
Tom
9/4/2014 2:00:07 PM
Okay, so one time? In band camp? Tom Stiller <clusterfux.upmon@gmail.com> was all, like:
 --> 	 4 Sep 2014 13:19:22 GMT <c6r76qF4at7U1@mid.individual.net>
> My mid 2013 27" iMac came with 2 4GB memory sticks is slots 1 & 3.
> I want to add 2 8GB sticks. Should I put them in slots 2 & 4 or move
> the 4GB sticks to slots 1 & 2 (3 & 4) and put the 8GB sticks in
> slots 3 & 4 (1 & 2)?

The paired memory should be in 1 & 3 and 2 & 4. If does not matter
in which set of slots you put which pair of memory.

Should should not put mismatched RAM in 1 & 2 or 3 & 4.

--
I laugh in the face of danger. Then I hide until it goes away.
0
On 2014-09-04, Lewis <g.kreme@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:
> Okay, so one time? In band camp? Tom Stiller <clusterfux.upmon@gmail.com> was all, like:
>  --> 	 4 Sep 2014 13:19:22 GMT <c6r76qF4at7U1@mid.individual.net>
>> My mid 2013 27" iMac came with 2 4GB memory sticks is slots 1 & 3.
>> I want to add 2 8GB sticks. Should I put them in slots 2 & 4 or move
>> the 4GB sticks to slots 1 & 2 (3 & 4) and put the 8GB sticks in
>> slots 3 & 4 (1 & 2)?
>
> The paired memory should be in 1 & 3 and 2 & 4. If does not matter
> in which set of slots you put which pair of memory.
>
> Should should not put mismatched RAM in 1 & 2 or 3 & 4.

Yep. Got it.  Thanks.
0
Tom

Apples 2013 Q2 Mac sales down 27%
Funny, the Appholes didn't peep. http://www.zdnet.com/apple-q2-2013-hardware-sales-by-the-numbers-7000014459/ D-O-W-N across the board. Mac DOWN 27%!!!! iPhone 15%!! iPad DOWN 3%!!!! So sad. Say it isn't so!! In article <krn1pk$ccn$1@dont-email.me>, "J. Bird Song" <JBSong@gmail.com> wrote: > Funny, the Appholes didn't peep. > > http://www.zdnet.com/apple-q2-2013-hardware-sales-by-the-numbers-7000014459/ > > D-O-W-N across the board. > > Mac DOWN 27%!!!! "The Q2 quarter Mac sales represe...

How to drive an iMac G4 display from non-mac hardware?
Hello all, first of all, is this the right group? Do you deal in just video editing hardware or also in the internal workings of the standard Mac/iMac hardware? Basically I would like to take an iMac G4 (the anglepoise one) case without the actual mac motherboard/PSU etc and interface a mini-itx motherboard to it for one of my own linux-based hardware projects, and am trying to find someone who knows how the *internal* connections are set up and what kind of signals are required to drive it. I don't need details on the *external* connections, there are ready-made converters fo...

FS: misc. Mac/PC hardware/software stuff
Apple Power Mac 7300/200 2G HD 512 RAM (Kingston) & manuals $50 Sony CPD-100VS monitor $25 Sony VAIO PCV-90 $50 Global Village Teleport 56K modem $25 Global Village Platinum 28.8 modem & manuals $25 SoundBlaster speakers $25 Iomega SCSI Zip 100 MB external drive $25 Iomega SCSI Jaz 2 G external drive $25 100 MB Zip disks $1 each (14) 250 MB Zip disks $3 each (26) 1 G Jaz disks $5 each (19) 2 G Jaz disks $7 each (3) Lacie 1 GB SCSI external drive $25 Palm Vx PDA $25 Agfa Arcus SCSI scanner (brand new, never used) $50 ATI video card 8 MB $20 ...

HDs for graphics
Here's my scenario... can't afford to, can't afford not to. I've been working without a net for way too long and it's catching up to me. My only backup has been zips and they have proven inadequate and too costly. It seems that any technical knowledge I once had has either become out-dated or has been forgotten:( Problems that have been occurring: Not enough memory messages, not enough disk space messages, programs quitting, not a lot of freezing surprisingly. And, in high-res in Photoshop or Illustrator with raster images.... crawling-apply-a-brush-stroke-and-go-to-lunch ...

Is Mac memory compatible with PC memory SODIMM?
Wonder if a product listed as "Kingston DDR 512MB PC2700, Powerbook G4 12''15''17, IMAC G4 Flat" would work with my PC laptop (Averatec 3200 series)? Thanks gavenda@illinoisalumni.org wrote: >"Kingston DDR 512MB PC2700 If your machine works with PC2700 it'll be happy. Check the Kingston WWWebsite to be sure about all the details, but AFAICT PC2700 is PC2700... ...

Memory compatibility ->imac G3 to imac G4
This should be an easy question. I have a G3 imac 600 and am thinking of upgrading to a G4 imac. When I bought the G3 I upgraded the RAM. Can I place the 512MB SDRAM PC100-2225 in an imac G4. I'm guessing probably not, but if anybody knows please advise. Thanks. moik In article <1138119682.067394.271080@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, <aw10809@yahoo.com> wrote: > This should be an easy question. I have a G3 imac 600 and am thinking > of upgrading to a G4 imac. When I bought the G3 I upgraded the RAM. Can > I place the 512MB SDRAM PC100-2225 in an imac G4. I'm g...

I-Mac Memory
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C4FAFA.E56CB050 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_NextPart_001_0010_01C4FAFA.E56CB050" ------=_NextPart_001_0010_01C4FAFA.E56CB050 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable BlankMy son has one of the early I-Macs - believe it was the 2nd version = with 64MB of memory.=20 Is it possible to expand the memory of the early versions? He has been = told that the I-Mac's memory is hard wired with no provisions for = changing me...

Mac out of memory
I am trying to open a large file (~300MB) consisting of uint8 values in a 3006 X 255 X 255 array. When using the fread command, e.g., fid = fopen(filename,'r'); A = fread(fid,'uint8'); I get the standard "out of memory error". I don't understand this as the max array size for my mac (Macbook Pro, 2GB RAM, OS X 10.5.3, Matlab R2008a) is ~1606e6 and my array is only ~200e6 elements. Also, I have 2 GB physical memory (of which 1.4 GB is shown to be free in my activity monitor) and have over 70 GB free on my HD (activity monitor shows 54 GB available for VM...

Out of memory #27
I am running this Matlab script and getting "Out of memory". Is there any solution for that? Thanks for your help. "ali " <amkashef@gmail.com> wrote in message news:ft9g9e$kt1$1@fred.mathworks.com... >I am running this Matlab script and getting "Out of memory". > Is there any solution for that? > > Thanks for your help. I think you can do one of the followings: 1. Examin your script and see if you can improve it to use less memory. 2. Use less data if possible. 3. buy more RAM if needed. hth Nasser "ali "...

Mac Memory
Can I put any PC2700 DDR SDRAM in a G4 (the one with the mirrored drive doors) or do I have to buy overpriced "Apple" sticks From what I can make out the memory is the same as in my PC I've been given a price of over �100 per 512Mb stick from a Mac reseller, I can buy the same from a PC dealer for less than half Why is Mac hardware so expensive? a lot of it seems to be very similar to PC kit --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.747 / Virus Database: 499 - Release Date: 01/09/2004 In article...

sys.mac
Dear Friend, I have found some websites: for msn messenger, http://www.hotmailpk.com/ For entertainment,spotlight.articles,interviews,dailyupdate htttp://www.familyandtwist.com/ for sms messeges, smsjokes, http://www.smstwist.com/ for articles,entertainment,beauty tips,news,showbiz and fashion http://www.familypk.com Visit these websites: Thanks ...

sys.mac
Dear Friend, I have found some websites: for msn messenger, http://www.hotmailpk.com/ For entertainment,spotlight.articles,interviews,dailyupdate htttp://www.familyandtwist.com/ for sms messeges, smsjokes, http://www.smstwist.com/ for articles,entertainment,beauty tips,news,showbiz and fashion http://www.familypk.com Visit these websites: Thanks ...

Hardware with Mac
I'm in the final stages of planning a move to Mac after using MSDOS/Windows computers since the early Intel 8088 days. If I make the switch it will be to either the desktop or portable dual core Mac. I've asked in another forum about the software I might need and wonder about printers, scanners etc. I use a Canon miltifunction and don't see anything on the CD about a Mac OS so I'm assuming I'll need a new printer/scanner etc. I've always like HP and I know they make several models...are any of them Mac operational? If not, is there a multi function un...

Mac Hardware
I have been told by someone in the computer sales and service business that Mac hard drives are Maxtor drives with Apple lables - Maxtor is the crappiest you can find. zara wrote: > I have been told by someone in the computer sales and service business that > Mac hard drives are Maxtor drives with Apple lables - Maxtor is the > crappiest you can find. And your friend is pretty stupid. My G5 has Seagates. Richard -- RichardK - 1980s in a can. http://www.dmc12.demon.co.uk/music/ Retro computing - http://www.dmc12.demon.co.uk/retrotech/ Cars - 2004 Beetle Cabrio, 1989 Supra ...

Web resources about - Mixed memory in mid 2013 27: iMac - comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc

Memory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In psychology , memory is the process in which information is encoded, stored, and retrieved. Encoding allows information from the outside world ...

Read-Only Memory
Read-Only Memory publishes high-quality books and articles that document defining moments in videogame history.

Corsair and G.Skill Introduce 128 GB (8x16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory Kits
... enough for general-purpose computing. But there are PCs, particularly at the high-end desktop and workstation level, which need a lot of memory ...

Making a memory of murder - Business Insider
A crash course on the science of making a murder memory.

Keep money top of mind amid memory loss
As the ranks of seniors age, many are experiencing memory issues, exposing them to potential financial fraud and risk.

Photographic memory made easy
... you send or receive. The purpose of lifelogging with photos is, quite literally, to use technology to give ourselves a photographic memory. ...

Ribbon snipped at former Jefferson VFW Memory Cafe supports people with dementia
Ribbon snipped at former Jefferson VFW Memory Cafe supports people with dementia Daily Union JEFFERSON — An estimated 5.2 million people with ...

Memory 10 Times More Massive Than Thought
New calculations of the brain's memory center shows it can hold one the same amount of information contained on the World Wide Web.

Square Enix gives away ‘Omikron’ in memory of David Bowie
Lauded performing artist David Bowie passed away last week at the age of 69 after an 18 month battle with cancer. Most are at least familiar ...

In Memory of Howard Dean’s Horrifying Scream
Twelve years ago to the day, on January 19, 2004, former governor of Vermont Howard Dean stuck a microphone in his mouth and let loose a war ...