Newbie questions when Apple store replaces a HDD...

Hello.

Since I have never used Apple store to fix/replace a hardware piece and
my client has a dying HDD issue and hoping to get it for free from just
expired AppleCare by 10 days, I have a few newbie questions after going
to the appointment:

1. Since we already ran the Apple Hardware Tests, Disk Utility, restored
and looked at smartmontools' logs showing long tests failing quickly
with 90% left, will Apple be able to quickly swap the drives quickly
during the appointment and then I can restore fully at home since it
took almost three hours to complete earlier today?

2. Will Apple let us keep the dying/dead HDD instead of them taking it
so they won't have the HDD's datas and kept as a frozen backup in case
the external HDD goes bust too (you never know!)? We don't want them to
have a copy of the datas. :P

Thank you in advance. :)
--
Quote of the Week: Allah's Apostle said, "Once while a prophet amongst
the prophets was taking a rest underneath a tree, an ant bit him. He,
therefore, ordered that his luggage be taken away from underneath that
tree and then ordered that the dwelling place of the ants should be set
on fire. Allah sent him a revelation: 'Wouldn't it have been sufficient
to burn a single ant (that bit you)?'" --Translation of Sahih Bukhari,
Book 54, Number 536
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
 / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o   o| |
   \ _ /    Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail privately. If credit-
    ( )     ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
0
ANTant
9/28/2015 6:43:40 AM
comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc 4192 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

In article <56098fee$0$60218$c3e8da3$b1356c67@news.astraweb.com>,
Warren Oates <warren.oates@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I already have a printout. Dang, long print out too! However, he is
> > > worried about his datas since he cannot keep the old HDD from the swap.
> > > :( I guess I could Dban (best tool for Macs?), reinstall Mac OS X from
> > > scratch, etc. assuming if the HDD doesn't die before then? And then, he
> > > said just buy a new drive and skip the AppleCare part. :/
> >
> > if you are worried about the contents of the hard drive, then replace
> > it yourself. it won't be free but that's the price of privacy.
> >
> > an advantage of doing that is that you can replace it with whatever you
> > want, namely an ssd.
>
> What's the machine? I wouldn't open an iMac or even an older Macbook Pro.

it's a macbook, which aren't hard to swap a hard drive, even in the
older ones.
0
nospam
9/28/2015 1:01:01 AM
In article <r7ydnW0z_qBE5pTLnZ2dnUU7-b346u6z@earthlink.com>, Ant
<ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:

> > > Since I have never used Apple store to fix/replace a hardware piece and
> > > my client has a dying HDD issue and hoping to get it for free from just
> > > expired AppleCare by 10 days, I have a few newbie questions after going
> > > to the appointment:
> > >
> > > 1. Since we already ran the Apple Hardware Tests, Disk Utility, restored
> > > and looked at smartmontools' logs showing long tests failing quickly
> > > with 90% left, will Apple be able to quickly swap the drives quickly
> > > during the appointment and then I can restore fully at home since it
> > > took almost three hours to complete earlier today?
>
> > hard drive swaps typically take a few hours. they may call you later
> > that day or maybe the next day.
>
> Wow, that long? I can understand doing restores taking that long, but a
> physical swap? I was expecting under an hour. :(

You won't be the only person with a machine that requires repairs /
upgrades so won't be first in the queue. Depending on how busy they
are, they may not even get to look at it for a couple of days. That can
be one of the advantages of going to a smaller local authorised repair
centre rather than the rarer and over-crowded Apple Store.

Plus, as you said, there are glues, etc. used these days which will
mean it take longer to get into computer and need time to properly dry
once reassembled.
0
Your
9/28/2015 1:01:01 AM

> >> In my experiences having bad hard drives replaced under AppleCare, the
> >> Apple Store _will_ give you back the old HD _if_ you pay them the
> >> equivalent of the cost of the new drive (not cheap). The labor is free.
> >> Presumably, this policy cuts down on people trying to game the system to
> >> get a free HD.
> >
> > Do you know how much? That would be even better than doing that
> > ourselves especially when Apple locked their hardwares down hard with
> > glues, screws, etc.

> I don't remember exactly, but it was on the order of 50% to (more
> likely) twice what you'd pay for a similar bare drive from Amazon.

Interesting. If we were to buy our own and bring to Apple store, would
they still swap it for us?
--
In message <avednVXLevMBfJXLnZ2dnUU7-TednZ2d@earthlink.com>
  Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:
> Hello.

> Since I have never used Apple store to fix/replace a hardware piece and
> my client has a dying HDD issue and hoping to get it for free from just
> expired AppleCare by 10 days, I have a few newbie questions after going
> to the appointment:

> 1. Since we already ran the Apple Hardware Tests, Disk Utility, restored
> and looked at smartmontools' logs showing long tests failing quickly
> with 90% left, will Apple be able to quickly swap the drives quickly
> during the appointment and then I can restore fully at home since it
> took almost three hours to complete earlier today?

Apple will run their own tests.

> 2. Will Apple let us keep the dying/dead HDD instead of them taking it
> so they won't have the HDD's datas and kept as a frozen backup in case
> the external HDD goes bust too (you never know!)? We don't want them to
> have a copy of the datas. :P

They will not give you back the dead drive.

Be sure and tell them that the Applecare expired while in Europe.

Also, do not be a jerk. Do not be confrontational. Do not demand.

--
On nights such as this, evil deeds are done. And good deeds, of course.
But mostly evil deeds. --Wyrd Sisters
> > Since I have never used Apple store to fix/replace a hardware piece and
> > my client has a dying HDD issue and hoping to get it for free from just
> > expired AppleCare by 10 days, I have a few newbie questions after going
> > to the appointment:

> > 1. Since we already ran the Apple Hardware Tests, Disk Utility, restored
> > and looked at smartmontools' logs showing long tests failing quickly
> > with 90% left, will Apple be able to quickly swap the drives quickly
> > during the appointment and then I can restore fully at home since it
> > took almost three hours to complete earlier today?

> Apple will run their own tests.

If they run their own tests like with Apple Hardware Tests and Disk
Utility, then they won't find anything wrong with the drive?

> > 2. Will Apple let us keep the dying/dead HDD instead of them taking it
> > so they won't have the HDD's datas and kept as a frozen backup in case
> > the external HDD goes bust too (you never know!)? We don't want them to
> > have a copy of the datas. :P

> They will not give you back the dead drive.

Maybe I should reinstall Mac OS X defaults before going there? :(

> Be sure and tell them that the Applecare expired while in Europe.
> Also, do not be a jerk. Do not be confrontational. Do not demand.

OK.
--
Quote of the Week: Allah's Apostle said, "Once while a prophet amongst
the prophets was taking a rest underneath a tree, an ant bit him. He,
therefore, ordered that his luggage be taken away from underneath that
tree and then ordered that the dwelling place of the ants should be set
on fire. Allah sent him a revelation: 'Wouldn't it have been sufficient
to burn a single ant (that bit you)?'" --Translation of Sahih Bukhari,
Book 54, Number 536
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
 / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o   o| |
   \ _ /    Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail privately. If credit-
    ( )     ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
0
ANTant
9/28/2015 7:44:24 AM
In message <aICdna6485ZFcpXLnZ2dnUU7-b_46u6z@earthlink.com>
  Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:
>> > Since I have never used Apple store to fix/replace a hardware piece and
>> > my client has a dying HDD issue and hoping to get it for free from just
>> > expired AppleCare by 10 days, I have a few newbie questions after going
>> > to the appointment:

>> > 1. Since we already ran the Apple Hardware Tests, Disk Utility, restored
>> > and looked at smartmontools' logs showing long tests failing quickly
>> > with 90% left, will Apple be able to quickly swap the drives quickly
>> > during the appointment and then I can restore fully at home since it
>> > took almost three hours to complete earlier today?

>> Apple will run their own tests.

> If they run their own tests like with Apple Hardware Tests and Disk
> Utility, then they won't find anything wrong with the drive?

If they don't find anything wrong with the drive with their tools, then
there is nothing wrong with the drive.

--
I've got Mathematica 2.2 on my Quadra
0

> >> Apple will run their own tests.

> > If they run their own tests like with Apple Hardware Tests and Disk
> > Utility, then they won't find anything wrong with the drive?

> If they don't find anything wrong with the drive with their tools, then
> there is nothing wrong with the drive.

Will they even check SMART's logs like I did? Disk Utility and
SMARTrepoter still think there is nothing wrong. :/
--
Quote of the Week: Allah's Apostle said, "Once while a prophet amongst
the prophets was taking a rest underneath a tree, an ant bit him. He,
therefore, ordered that his luggage be taken away from underneath that
tree and then ordered that the dwelling place of the ants should be set
on fire. Allah sent him a revelation: 'Wouldn't it have been sufficient
to burn a single ant (that bit you)?'" --Translation of Sahih Bukhari,
Book 54, Number 536
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
 / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o   o| |
   \ _ /    Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail privately. If credit-
    ( )     ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
0
ANTant
9/28/2015 12:21:33 PM
Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Since I have never used Apple store to fix/replace a hardware piece and
> my client has a dying HDD issue and hoping to get it for free from just
> expired AppleCare by 10 days, I have a few newbie questions after going
> to the appointment:
>
> 1. Since we already ran the Apple Hardware Tests, Disk Utility, restored
> and looked at smartmontools' logs showing long tests failing quickly
> with 90% left, will Apple be able to quickly swap the drives quickly
> during the appointment and then I can restore fully at home since it
> took almost three hours to complete earlier today?

 Doubtful if they are busy. It will likely take a day or three.

> 2. Will Apple let us keep the dying/dead HDD instead of them taking it
> so they won't have the HDD's datas and kept as a frozen backup in case
> the external HDD goes bust too (you never know!)? We don't want them to
> have a copy of the datas. :P

I bet they would give it to you - just ask.

You should always turn on FileVault in System Preferences so that your data
is encrypted on the drive. That way nobody can access the data on the drive
once are are done with it. If FileVault was enabled, Apple can't access the
data.

--
Sent from my iPhone
0
Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:

>>> If they run their own tests like with Apple Hardware Tests and Disk
>>> Utility, then they won't find anything wrong with the drive?
>
>> If they don't find anything wrong with the drive with their tools, then
>> there is nothing wrong with the drive.
>
> Will they even check SMART's logs like I did? Disk Utility and
> SMARTrepoter still think there is nothing wrong. :/

Bring a printout of the report with you. Or run the test while you have it
there so they can see it for themselves.

--
Sent from my iPhone
0
On 9/28/15 3:31 a, Lewis wrote:
>> 2. Will Apple let us keep the dying/dead HDD instead of them taking it
>> >so they won't have the HDD's datas and kept as a frozen backup in case
>> >the external HDD goes bust too (you never know!)? We don't want them to
>> >have a copy of the datas. :P
 >
> They will not give you back the dead drive.

In my experiences having bad hard drives replaced under AppleCare, the
Apple Store _will_ give you back the old HD _if_ you pay them the
equivalent of the cost of the new drive (not cheap). The labor is free.
Presumably, this policy cuts down on people trying to game the system to
get a free HD.

0
Fred
9/28/2015 2:56:36 PM
In article <avednVXLevMBfJXLnZ2dnUU7-TednZ2d@earthlink.com>, Ant
<ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Since I have never used Apple store to fix/replace a hardware piece and
> my client has a dying HDD issue and hoping to get it for free from just
> expired AppleCare by 10 days, I have a few newbie questions after going
> to the appointment:
>
> 1. Since we already ran the Apple Hardware Tests, Disk Utility, restored
> and looked at smartmontools' logs showing long tests failing quickly
> with 90% left, will Apple be able to quickly swap the drives quickly
> during the appointment and then I can restore fully at home since it
> took almost three hours to complete earlier today?

hard drive swaps typically take a few hours. they may call you later
that day or maybe the next day.

> 2. Will Apple let us keep the dying/dead HDD instead of them taking it
> so they won't have the HDD's datas and kept as a frozen backup in case
> the external HDD goes bust too (you never know!)? We don't want them to
> have a copy of the datas. :P

you don't get the old hard drive back.
0
nospam
9/28/2015 4:18:39 PM
In message <I8ydncSLiL5QrZTLnZ2dnUU7-ROdnZ2d@earthlink.com>
  Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:

>> > If they run their own tests like with Apple Hardware Tests and Disk
>> > Utility, then they won't find anything wrong with the drive?

>> If they don't find anything wrong with the drive with their tools, then
>> there is nothing wrong with the drive.

> Will they even check SMART's logs like I did?

No.

> Disk Utility and SMARTrepoter still think there is nothing wrong. :/

They have their own tools.

--
Law of Probability Dispersal: Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly
distributed.

> >> If they don't find anything wrong with the drive with their tools, then
> >> there is nothing wrong with the drive.
> >
> > Will they even check SMART's logs like I did? Disk Utility and
> > SMARTrepoter still think there is nothing wrong. :/

> Bring a printout of the report with you. Or run the test while you have it
> there so they can see it for themselves.

I already have a printout. Dang, long print out too! However, he is
worried about his datas since he cannot keep the old HDD from the swap.
:( I guess I could Dban (best tool for Macs?), reinstall Mac OS X from
scratch, etc. assuming if the HDD doesn't die before then? And then, he
said just buy a new drive and skip the AppleCare part. :/
--
Quote of the Week: Allah's Apostle said, "Once while a prophet amongst
the prophets was taking a rest underneath a tree, an ant bit him. He,
therefore, ordered that his luggage be taken away from underneath that
tree and then ordered that the dwelling place of the ants should be set
on fire. Allah sent him a revelation: 'Wouldn't it have been sufficient
to burn a single ant (that bit you)?'" --Translation of Sahih Bukhari,
Book 54, Number 536
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
 / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o   o| |
   \ _ /    Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail privately. If credit-
    ( )     ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
0
ANTant
9/28/2015 5:36:33 PM
In comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc Fred Moore <fmoore@gcfn.org> wrote:
> On 9/28/15 3:31 a, Lewis wrote:
> >> 2. Will Apple let us keep the dying/dead HDD instead of them taking it
> >
> > They will not give you back the dead drive.

> In my experiences having bad hard drives replaced under AppleCare, the
> Apple Store _will_ give you back the old HD _if_ you pay them the
> equivalent of the cost of the new drive (not cheap). The labor is free.
> Presumably, this policy cuts down on people trying to game the system to
> get a free HD.

Do you know how much? That would be even better than doing that
ourselves especially when Apple locked their hardwares down hard with
glues, screws, etc.
--
Quote of the Week: Allah's Apostle said, "Once while a prophet amongst
the prophets was taking a rest underneath a tree, an ant bit him. He,
therefore, ordered that his luggage be taken away from underneath that
tree and then ordered that the dwelling place of the ants should be set
on fire. Allah sent him a revelation: 'Wouldn't it have been sufficient
to burn a single ant (that bit you)?'" --Translation of Sahih Bukhari,
Book 54, Number 536
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
 / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o   o| |
   \ _ /    Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail privately. If credit-
    ( )     ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
0
ANTant
9/28/2015 5:37:19 PM
In article <r7ydnXAz_qA855TLnZ2dnUU7-b346u6z@earthlink.com>, Ant
<ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:

> > Bring a printout of the report with you. Or run the test while you have it
> > there so they can see it for themselves.
>
> I already have a printout. Dang, long print out too! However, he is
> worried about his datas since he cannot keep the old HDD from the swap.
> :( I guess I could Dban (best tool for Macs?), reinstall Mac OS X from
> scratch, etc. assuming if the HDD doesn't die before then? And then, he
> said just buy a new drive and skip the AppleCare part. :/

if you are worried about the contents of the hard drive, then replace
it yourself. it won't be free but that's the price of privacy.

an advantage of doing that is that you can replace it with whatever you
want, namely an ssd.
0
nospam
9/28/2015 5:39:20 PM
> > Since I have never used Apple store to fix/replace a hardware piece and
> > my client has a dying HDD issue and hoping to get it for free from just
> > expired AppleCare by 10 days, I have a few newbie questions after going
> > to the appointment:
> >
> > 1. Since we already ran the Apple Hardware Tests, Disk Utility, restored
> > and looked at smartmontools' logs showing long tests failing quickly
> > with 90% left, will Apple be able to quickly swap the drives quickly
> > during the appointment and then I can restore fully at home since it
> > took almost three hours to complete earlier today?

>  Doubtful if they are busy. It will likely take a day or three.

Just for quick tests and a HDD swap? Sheesh! :(

> > 2. Will Apple let us keep the dying/dead HDD instead of them taking it
> > so they won't have the HDD's datas and kept as a frozen backup in case
> > the external HDD goes bust too (you never know!)? We don't want them to
> > have a copy of the datas. :P

> I bet they would give it to you - just ask.

> You should always turn on FileVault in System Preferences so that your data
> is encrypted on the drive. That way nobody can access the data on the drive
> once are are done with it. If FileVault was enabled, Apple can't access the
> data.

Good idea. It will take about half a day to a whole day so far. Hmm,
doesn't Apple have backdoors and access since they made it? :P
--
Quote of the Week: Allah's Apostle said, "Once while a prophet amongst
the prophets was taking a rest underneath a tree, an ant bit him. He,
therefore, ordered that his luggage be taken away from underneath that
tree and then ordered that the dwelling place of the ants should be set
on fire. Allah sent him a revelation: 'Wouldn't it have been sufficient
to burn a single ant (that bit you)?'" --Translation of Sahih Bukhari,
Book 54, Number 536
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
 / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o   o| |
   \ _ /    Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail privately. If credit-
    ( )     ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
0
ANTant
9/28/2015 5:40:51 PM
> > Since I have never used Apple store to fix/replace a hardware piece and
> > my client has a dying HDD issue and hoping to get it for free from just
> > expired AppleCare by 10 days, I have a few newbie questions after going
> > to the appointment:
> >
> > 1. Since we already ran the Apple Hardware Tests, Disk Utility, restored
> > and looked at smartmontools' logs showing long tests failing quickly
> > with 90% left, will Apple be able to quickly swap the drives quickly
> > during the appointment and then I can restore fully at home since it
> > took almost three hours to complete earlier today?

> hard drive swaps typically take a few hours. they may call you later
> that day or maybe the next day.

Wow, that long? I can understand doing restores taking that long, but a
physical swap? I was expecting under an hour. :(

> > 2. Will Apple let us keep the dying/dead HDD instead of them taking it
> > so they won't have the HDD's datas and kept as a frozen backup in case
> > the external HDD goes bust too (you never know!)? We don't want them to
> > have a copy of the datas. :P

> you don't get the old hard drive back.

Even if I pay for the new HDD in the Apple store?
--
Quote of the Week: Allah's Apostle said, "Once while a prophet amongst
the prophets was taking a rest underneath a tree, an ant bit him. He,
therefore, ordered that his luggage be taken away from underneath that
tree and then ordered that the dwelling place of the ants should be set
on fire. Allah sent him a revelation: 'Wouldn't it have been sufficient
to burn a single ant (that bit you)?'" --Translation of Sahih Bukhari,
Book 54, Number 536
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
 / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o   o| |
   \ _ /    Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail privately. If credit-
    ( )     ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
0
ANTant
9/28/2015 5:41:45 PM

> >> If they don't find anything wrong with the drive with their tools, then
> >> there is nothing wrong with the drive.

> > Will they even check SMART's logs like I did?

> No.

> > Disk Utility and SMARTrepoter still think there is nothing wrong. :/

> They have their own tools.

Darn. I wonder if they will see what I saw. :/
--
Quote of the Week: Allah's Apostle said, "Once while a prophet amongst
the prophets was taking a rest underneath a tree, an ant bit him. He,
therefore, ordered that his luggage be taken away from underneath that
tree and then ordered that the dwelling place of the ants should be set
on fire. Allah sent him a revelation: 'Wouldn't it have been sufficient
to burn a single ant (that bit you)?'" --Translation of Sahih Bukhari,
Book 54, Number 536
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
 / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o   o| |
   \ _ /    Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail privately. If credit-
    ( )     ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
0
ANTant
9/28/2015 5:42:55 PM
In article <r7ydnXIz_qA-5pTLnZ2dnUU7-b346u6z@earthlink.com>, Ant
<ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:

> > > 1. Since we already ran the Apple Hardware Tests, Disk Utility, restored
> > > and looked at smartmontools' logs showing long tests failing quickly
> > > with 90% left, will Apple be able to quickly swap the drives quickly
> > > during the appointment and then I can restore fully at home since it
> > > took almost three hours to complete earlier today?
>
> >  Doubtful if they are busy. It will likely take a day or three.
>
> Just for quick tests and a HDD swap? Sheesh! :(

you're not the only customer.
0
nospam
9/28/2015 5:43:43 PM
<ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:

> > > 1. Since we already ran the Apple Hardware Tests, Disk Utility, restored
> > > and looked at smartmontools' logs showing long tests failing quickly
> > > with 90% left, will Apple be able to quickly swap the drives quickly
> > > during the appointment and then I can restore fully at home since it
> > > took almost three hours to complete earlier today?
>
> > hard drive swaps typically take a few hours. they may call you later
> > that day or maybe the next day.
>
> Wow, that long? I can understand doing restores taking that long, but a
> physical swap? I was expecting under an hour. :(

you're not the only customer.

> > > 2. Will Apple let us keep the dying/dead HDD instead of them taking it
> > > so they won't have the HDD's datas and kept as a frozen backup in case
> > > the external HDD goes bust too (you never know!)? We don't want them to
> > > have a copy of the datas. :P
>
> > you don't get the old hard drive back.
>
> Even if I pay for the new HDD in the Apple store?

that might work, but it won't be as cheap as you would find it on
amazon.
0
nospam
9/28/2015 5:43:44 PM

> > > you don't get the old hard drive back.
> >
> > Even if I pay for the new HDD in the Apple store?

> that might work, but it won't be as cheap as you would find it on
> amazon.

We'll have to see if Apple will do a free labor. That is not cheap too.
;)
--
Quote of the Week: Allah's Apostle said, "Once while a prophet amongst
the prophets was taking a rest underneath a tree, an ant bit him. He,
therefore, ordered that his luggage be taken away from underneath that
tree and then ordered that the dwelling place of the ants should be set
on fire. Allah sent him a revelation: 'Wouldn't it have been sufficient
to burn a single ant (that bit you)?'" --Translation of Sahih Bukhari,
Book 54, Number 536
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
 / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o   o| |
   \ _ /    Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail privately. If credit-
    ( )     ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
0
ANTant
9/28/2015 5:57:28 PM
Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:
>>> Since I have never used Apple store to fix/replace a hardware piece and
>>> my client has a dying HDD issue and hoping to get it for free from just
>>> expired AppleCare by 10 days, I have a few newbie questions after going
>>> to the appointment:
>>>
>>> 1. Since we already ran the Apple Hardware Tests, Disk Utility, restored
>>> and looked at smartmontools' logs showing long tests failing quickly
>>> with 90% left, will Apple be able to quickly swap the drives quickly
>>> during the appointment and then I can restore fully at home since it
>>> took almost three hours to complete earlier today?
>
>> Doubtful if they are busy. It will likely take a day or three.
>
> Just for quick tests and a HDD swap? Sheesh! :(
>

>>> 2. Will Apple let us keep the dying/dead HDD instead of them taking it
>>> so they won't have the HDD's datas and kept as a frozen backup in case
>>> the external HDD goes bust too (you never know!)? We don't want them to
>>> have a copy of the datas. :P
>
>> I bet they would give it to you - just ask.
>
>> You should always turn on FileVault in System Preferences so that your data
>> is encrypted on the drive. That way nobody can access the data on the drive
>> once are are done with it. If FileVault was enabled, Apple can't access the
>> data.
>
> Good idea. It will take about half a day to a whole day so far. Hmm,
> doesn't Apple have backdoors and access since they made it? :P

No.

--
Sent from my iPhone
0
Jolly
9/28/2015 6:20:48 PM
On 2015-09-28, Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:

>> Bring a printout of the report with you. Or run the test while you have it
>> there so they can see it for themselves.
>
> I already have a printout. Dang, long print out too! However, he is
> worried about his datas since he cannot keep the old HDD from the swap.
>:( I guess I could Dban (best tool for Macs?), reinstall Mac OS X from
> scratch, etc. assuming if the HDD doesn't die before then? And then, he
> said just buy a new drive and skip the AppleCare part. :/

I would just erase the disk in Disk Utility before bringing it in.
Erasing the data make it impossible to get without very expensive
forensic disk tools. Done deal. Apple's not going to send the drive to
an expensive data recovery service to try to hack out the data that was
erased. Apple doesn't want your data.

JR
0
Jolly
9/28/2015 6:36:27 PM
On 2015-09-28, Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:

>> > They will not give you back the dead drive.
>
>> In my experiences having bad hard drives replaced under AppleCare, the
>> Apple Store _will_ give you back the old HD _if_ you pay them the
>> equivalent of the cost of the new drive (not cheap). The labor is free.
>> Presumably, this policy cuts down on people trying to game the system to
>> get a free HD.
>
> Do you know how much? That would be even better than doing that
> ourselves especially when Apple locked their hardwares down hard with
> glues, screws, etc.

You'll have to ask them. But you should research equivalent hard drive
prices online first so you know whether the price they give you is worth
it. You said the drive was a 750 GB, and it's probably 5400 RPM. From a
very quick search on Amazon, those are generally going for around $40-60
at the moment.

JR
0
Jolly
9/28/2015 6:39:32 PM
On 2015-09-28, Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:

>> > Will they even check SMART's logs like I did?
>
>> No.
>
>> > Disk Utility and SMARTrepoter still think there is nothing wrong. :/
>
>> They have their own tools.
>
> Darn. I wonder if they will see what I saw. :/

They certainly will if you bring the printout with you. ; )

JR
0
Jolly
9/28/2015 6:40:02 PM
On 2015-09-28, Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:
>> > Since I have never used Apple store to fix/replace a hardware piece and
>> > my client has a dying HDD issue and hoping to get it for free from just
>> > expired AppleCare by 10 days, I have a few newbie questions after going
>> > to the appointment:
>> >
>> > 1. Since we already ran the Apple Hardware Tests, Disk Utility, restored
>> > and looked at smartmontools' logs showing long tests failing quickly
>> > with 90% left, will Apple be able to quickly swap the drives quickly
>> > during the appointment and then I can restore fully at home since it
>> > took almost three hours to complete earlier today?
>
>>  Doubtful if they are busy. It will likely take a day or three.
>
> Just for quick tests and a HDD swap? Sheesh! :(

Sure. You do remember you weren't the only one there in the store,
right? You can't expect them to drop everything and everyone else just
for little, old you. ; )

JR
0
Jolly
9/28/2015 6:41:02 PM

> >> No.

> >> They have their own tools.
> >
> > Darn. I wonder if they will see what I saw. :/

> They certainly will if you bring the printout with you. ; )

I have the printout that I shared. I also mentioned the symptoms that we
saw (can't boot up to login screen), safe mode got stuck, Apple Hardware
Test got stuck (still does too as of last night after the restore), Disk
Utility failed to verify and repair, etc. Had to do a full Time Machine
restore to get things back working again.
--
Quote of the Week: Allah's Apostle said, "Once while a prophet amongst
the prophets was taking a rest underneath a tree, an ant bit him. He,
therefore, ordered that his luggage be taken away from underneath that
tree and then ordered that the dwelling place of the ants should be set
on fire. Allah sent him a revelation: 'Wouldn't it have been sufficient
to burn a single ant (that bit you)?'" --Translation of Sahih Bukhari,
Book 54, Number 536
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
 / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o   o| |
   \ _ /    Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail privately. If credit-
    ( )     ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
0
ANTant
9/28/2015 6:48:33 PM

> >> In my experiences having bad hard drives replaced under AppleCare, the
> >> Apple Store _will_ give you back the old HD _if_ you pay them the
> >> equivalent of the cost of the new drive (not cheap). The labor is free.
> >> Presumably, this policy cuts down on people trying to game the system to
> >> get a free HD.
> >
> > Do you know how much? That would be even better than doing that
> > ourselves especially when Apple locked their hardwares down hard with
> > glues, screws, etc.

> You'll have to ask them. But you should research equivalent hard drive
> prices online first so you know whether the price they give you is worth
> it. You said the drive was a 750 GB, and it's probably 5400 RPM. From a
> very quick search on Amazon, those are generally going for around $40-60
> at the moment.

Ah. We'll see. Does Apple give out NEW or refurbished drives as
replacements?
--
Quote of the Week: Allah's Apostle said, "Once while a prophet amongst
the prophets was taking a rest underneath a tree, an ant bit him. He,
therefore, ordered that his luggage be taken away from underneath that
tree and then ordered that the dwelling place of the ants should be set
on fire. Allah sent him a revelation: 'Wouldn't it have been sufficient
to burn a single ant (that bit you)?'" --Translation of Sahih Bukhari,
Book 54, Number 536
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
 / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o   o| |
   \ _ /    Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail privately. If credit-
    ( )     ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
0
ANTant
9/28/2015 6:49:20 PM
In article <_v2dnYxNuoUtFpTLnZ2dnUU7-UednZ2d@earthlink.com>, Ant
<ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:

> Ah. We'll see. Does Apple give out NEW or refurbished drives as
> replacements?

it doesn't matter.

repairs are warranted for 90 days or the remainder of the existing
warranty, whichever is longer.
0
nospam
9/28/2015 6:53:07 PM
On 2015-09-28, Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:

>> > Do you know how much? That would be even better than doing that
>> > ourselves especially when Apple locked their hardwares down hard with
>> > glues, screws, etc.
>
>> You'll have to ask them. But you should research equivalent hard drive
>> prices online first so you know whether the price they give you is worth
>> it. You said the drive was a 750 GB, and it's probably 5400 RPM. From a
>> very quick search on Amazon, those are generally going for around $40-60
>> at the moment.
>
> Ah. We'll see. Does Apple give out NEW or refurbished drives as
> replacements?

New, as far as I know.

JR
0
Jolly
9/28/2015 6:53:17 PM
In article <280920151339208383%nospam@nospam.invalid>,
 nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> In article <r7ydnXAz_qA855TLnZ2dnUU7-b346u6z@earthlink.com>, Ant
> <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:
>
> > > Bring a printout of the report with you. Or run the test while you have it
> > > there so they can see it for themselves.
> >
> > I already have a printout. Dang, long print out too! However, he is
> > worried about his datas since he cannot keep the old HDD from the swap.
> > :( I guess I could Dban (best tool for Macs?), reinstall Mac OS X from
> > scratch, etc. assuming if the HDD doesn't die before then? And then, he
> > said just buy a new drive and skip the AppleCare part. :/
>
> if you are worried about the contents of the hard drive, then replace
> it yourself. it won't be free but that's the price of privacy.
>
> an advantage of doing that is that you can replace it with whatever you
> want, namely an ssd.

What's the machine? I wouldn't open an iMac or even an older Macbook Pro.
--
Where's the Vangelis music?
Pris' tongue is sticking out in in the wide shot after Batty has kissed her.

> > > if you are worried about the contents of the hard drive, then replace
> > > it yourself. it won't be free but that's the price of privacy.
> > >
> > > an advantage of doing that is that you can replace it with whatever you
> > > want, namely an ssd.
> >
> > What's the machine? I wouldn't open an iMac or even an older Macbook Pro.

> it's a macbook, which aren't hard to swap a hard drive, even in the
> older ones.

13.3" MacBook Pro 9,2 (MD102ll/A) model. Didn't Apple really made it
hard to open up and stuff with their newer models with different
screws, glues, etc.?

I read
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2012+Hard+Drive+Replacement/10378
.... It is not that simple, but then we don't fix computer hardwares.
Wow, lots of screws in that guide. I can't do it for sure due to my
disabilities (I only handle software stuff). :( So someone else will
have to do that part like AppleCare or a computer builder.
--
Quote of the Week: Allah's Apostle said, "Once while a prophet amongst
the prophets was taking a rest underneath a tree, an ant bit him. He,
therefore, ordered that his luggage be taken away from underneath that
tree and then ordered that the dwelling place of the ants should be set
on fire. Allah sent him a revelation: 'Wouldn't it have been sufficient
to burn a single ant (that bit you)?'" --Translation of Sahih Bukhari,
Book 54, Number 536
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
 / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o   o| |
   \ _ /    Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail privately. If credit-
    ( )     ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
0
ANTant
9/28/2015 7:35:51 PM
Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:

> 13.3" MacBook Pro 9,2 (MD102ll/A) model. Didn't Apple really made it
> hard to open up and stuff with their newer models with different
> screws, glues, etc.?
>
> I read
> https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2012+Hard+Drive+Replacement/10378
>
> ... It is not that simple, but then we don't fix computer hardwares.

That's actually pretty easy, all things considered. iMacs are much worse. ;
)

--
Sent from my iPhone
0
<ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:

> > > What's the machine? I wouldn't open an iMac or even an older Macbook Pro.
>
> > it's a macbook, which aren't hard to swap a hard drive, even in the
> > older ones.
>
> 13.3" MacBook Pro 9,2 (MD102ll/A) model. Didn't Apple really made it
> hard to open up and stuff with their newer models with different
> screws, glues, etc.?

not for the hard drive, they don't.

pop off the bottom and swap. disconnecting the battery is a good idea
but not required.
0
nospam
9/28/2015 7:57:31 PM
On 9/28/15 1:37 p, Ant wrote:

>>> They will not give you back the dead drive.
>
>> In my experiences having bad hard drives replaced under AppleCare, the
>> Apple Store _will_ give you back the old HD _if_ you pay them the
>> equivalent of the cost of the new drive (not cheap). The labor is free.
>> Presumably, this policy cuts down on people trying to game the system to
>> get a free HD.
>
> Do you know how much? That would be even better than doing that
> ourselves especially when Apple locked their hardwares down hard with
> glues, screws, etc.

I don't remember exactly, but it was on the order of 50% to (more
likely) twice what you'd pay for a similar bare drive from Amazon.

0
Fred
9/28/2015 7:58:08 PM
In article <V8-dnV5SieGOAJTLnZ2dnUU7-V2dnZ2d@earthlink.com>, Ant
<ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:

> Interesting. If we were to buy our own and bring to Apple store, would
> they still swap it for us?

no.
0
nospam
9/28/2015 8:09:25 PM
> > Interesting. If we were to buy our own and bring to Apple store, would
> > they still swap it for us?

> no.

Thanks. Oh well. I will let my client decide. He did say he can't do
it today (uh duh, make an appointment if you want Apple to do it
first!). Heh.
--
Quote of the Week: Allah's Apostle said, "Once while a prophet amongst
the prophets was taking a rest underneath a tree, an ant bit him. He,
therefore, ordered that his luggage be taken away from underneath that
tree and then ordered that the dwelling place of the ants should be set
on fire. Allah sent him a revelation: 'Wouldn't it have been sufficient
to burn a single ant (that bit you)?'" --Translation of Sahih Bukhari,
Book 54, Number 536
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
 / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o   o| |
   \ _ /    Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail privately. If credit-
    ( )     ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
0
ANTant
9/28/2015 8:18:06 PM
In message <-_SdnbF5Qe8KC5TLnZ2dnUU7-QGdnZ2d@earthlink.com>
  Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:

>> > What's the machine? I wouldn't open an iMac or even an older Macbook Pro.

>> it's a macbook, which aren't hard to swap a hard drive, even in the
>> older ones.

> 13.3" MacBook Pro 9,2 (MD102ll/A) model. Didn't Apple really made it
> hard to open up and stuff with their newer models with different
> screws, glues, etc.?

No. You may be confusing it with a MacBook Air.

> I read
> https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2012+Hard+Drive+Replacement/10378
> ... It is not that simple, but then we don't fix computer hardwares.

It's 10 screws to pop off the bottom panel and two screws to release the
HD and a ribbon cable.

It's about as easy as Mac repairs get.

--
Love is like oxygen / You get too much / you get too high / Not enough
and you're gonna die

> >> it's a macbook, which aren't hard to swap a hard drive, even in the
> >> older ones.

> > 13.3" MacBook Pro 9,2 (MD102ll/A) model. Didn't Apple really made it
> > hard to open up and stuff with their newer models with different
> > screws, glues, etc.?

> No. You may be confusing it with a MacBook Air.

Ah. All Pros are easy to open including the newer models?

> > I read
> > https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2012+Hard+Drive+Replacement/10378
> > ... It is not that simple, but then we don't fix computer hardwares.

> It's 10 screws to pop off the bottom panel and two screws to release the
> HD and a ribbon cable.

> It's about as easy as Mac repairs get.

Hmm.
--
Quote of the Week: Allah's Apostle said, "Once while a prophet amongst
the prophets was taking a rest underneath a tree, an ant bit him. He,
therefore, ordered that his luggage be taken away from underneath that
tree and then ordered that the dwelling place of the ants should be set
on fire. Allah sent him a revelation: 'Wouldn't it have been sufficient
to burn a single ant (that bit you)?'" --Translation of Sahih Bukhari,
Book 54, Number 536
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
 / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o   o| |
   \ _ /    Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail privately. If credit-
    ( )     ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
0
ANTant

Newbie question on replace-eval-replacement , replace-quote
While searching in groups, I came across the following discussion. http://groups.google.com/group/gnu.emacs.help/browse_thread/thread/c723bde021ea8183/a2afe24ce98ed739?lnk=gst&q=%22\%2C%22+swap#a2afe24ce98ed739 which presents the following code. ,---- | (defun query-swap-regexp (regexp-a regexp-b) | "Swap A and B regexp matches in current buffer or region." | (interactive "sRegexp A: \nsRegexp B: ") | (let ((match-a (save-excursion | (re-search-forward regexp-a nil t) | (match-string 0))) | (match-b (save-excursion | ...

Question on buying a Mac with added memory from the Apple Store
When someone orders a Mac -- say an iBook or a Powerbook -- with extra memory from the Apple Store website, is the additional RAM installed while the Mac is still on the assembly line? Or is an already boxed-up Mac opened and the RAM then installed? Thanks, Roger Carlson On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 18:35:32 -0500, qamar@pobox.com wrote (in article <1125617732.078310.76870@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>): > When someone orders a Mac -- say an iBook or a Powerbook -- with extra > memory from the Apple Store website, is the additional RAM installed > while the Mac is still on the assemb...

Newbie Question (Was: Newbie Question...)
Thanks to everyone for all the suggestion. Every one of them has enlightned me a lot. I suppose I will use the "find" subroutine I wrote modifiied as Jugoslav suggested (in a module), or the function proposed by David (the solution proposed by David is far more intuitive and useful than mine). I still have some problem with the PACK function (as suggested by Paul & Richard & Michel), but maybe is because here at work I only have digital visual fortran 6.0 (Mathworks says that is enormously bugged), or maybe because I'm so stupid I've made mistakes again... So I have t...

Absolute Newbie Question - Monitor for Apple Mac 9600
Hi, We, a small charity, are being given a computer by a kind soul - said computer being described by the current owner as both an Apple Mac 9600 and as a 966/350, but without a monitor. Hope that means something to you. It is going to be used for various office type jobs and, hopefully, helping us make posters. Now the very trivial questions so please don't laugh too much... We have a spare PC monitor, with a normal type D sub plug on the end...Will that connect to the machine above? Will we need an adapter? Or do they use a different monitor entirely to PCs? We do have PC PCI ...

Absolute Newbie Question, Part II Apple Mac PowerPC 966/350
Hi, I now have the Apple Mac 966 that I asked for advice about, here, on 16 Aug. It came with an adapter with a standard hi density PC monitor socket and a row of switches. So that problem disappeared. SO I have plugged the keyboard in and the mouse into the keyboard. The monitor, a 19" multisynch is plugged into the adapter. I plugged a mains lead in and pressed the button on the front. It went green, fans started, disk(s) could be heard whirring. The CD tray now opens. But that is it.. So I changed the dip switches to the "640x480" settings and tried again. No change....

Apple to kill off Mac Pro; new Mac Mini based replacement
I got this from a developer. He's PO'd at Apple and has told me what is coming this year. Apple will cease shipping the Mac Pro at the end of June, 2012. A new "Mac Pro" model will not replace it. The new Mac Stack will be a Mac Mini footprint modular system which will allow stacking of up to 14 components in a dual daisy chain of Thunderbolt interfaced modules to form small and powerful to mighty computers. Mac Stack processors will come in dual and quad processor configurations with processors ranging from quad core i7's (2.8 to 3.4 GHz) to octo-core i7 proc...

mac newbie question
I am considering switching to Mac (currently I'm a PC user with Dell) I would like some recommendations as far as what kind of system I will need. Currently I have a Pentium 4 2.66GHz with 1GB RAM, 128MB Dual Video Card, and Windows XP. I run a lot of Graphical software like Photoshop, LiveMotion, InDesign, Illustrator, as well as standard Office programs. I also do some video editing (mpeg and quicktime formats). I'm looking for something adequate to do the above tasks. If someone could guide me a bit. What kind of... Processor- Dual/Single? Speed? Memory? G4 or G5? Graphics card? Th...

Mac newbie question
I have a Mac G3 (Blue and White) that I acquired. It has an old (8.6) OS on it and I want to upgrade it to OS X Jaguar. According to what I read, I have two issues: first it only has 64 Mb ram...not a biggie I can get more. It has a 6.1Gb drive, probably need bigger. Again not a biggie. However I was told by someone that it would be dog slow. I was asked the G3 speed...I have no idea. How do I tell the speed of it (300 vs. 400 MHz??) Secondly, anyone with experience on this, how slow will it be...intolerable? Fair.... She was just trying to sell me a new G4 and lied about how s...

newbie replace question
hi all, Do you know how to replace a substring using regexp? for example: If I have a string called myfile.txt.doc, how can I get just myfile? I f I try awk '{sub(/\./,"", $1); print $1}' on a file I just remove the first dot but not the rest? How I can do that? thanks P On 9/11/2003 8:57 AM, pedro wrote: <snip> > If I have a string called myfile.txt.doc, how can I get just myfile? > > I f I try > awk '{sub(/\./,"", $1); print $1}' awk '{sub(/\..*/,"", $1); print $1}' Ed. In article <3F608786.1020505@...

questions from Mac Newbie
i just got my first MAC it was an old old desktop that i bought at a computer store for $50 here are my questions where can i find upgrades for the Operating System? Is it like Linux where there are magazines in Borders with upgrades in it. This must be a real old system,its olive green and reminds me of Windows 3.1 yet the PC is new enough to have a 10/100 Ethernet connextion which brings me to Question 2 How do i configure it? I looked at my other computer for the IP Address and Subnet Mask and filled them in Am i missing anything>>? In article <1147222906.752278.87610@u72g200...

Hardware questions from a newbie
I am a linux Newbie, so treat me like an idiot if you know the answer to this : I recently installed Xandros Linux (I assume the latest version, since it came with "Linux user" magazine) on my home system. So far I love it, but I am having a couple minor problems. The first revolves around getting my webcam to work with Linux - I have a "Logitech Quickcam Communicate STX" attached to my computer through USB. So far, nothing I do will make the installation even see it, much less work with it. Is there a simple way to force Linux to use it? The other problem is I also have ...

Newbie Mac Question..
Hi everyone, I am a computer teacher in an elementary school - we are going to begin a "news" program that will be filmed and edited on computer. We also have various film projects that we would like to do. I have suggested an Apple with Final Cut Pro HD. My question is whether or not an iMac with the 1.25ghz would be powerful enough to make it a satisfying experience with Digital Video Editing. I am particularly concerned with the fact that it only has a 64MB video card. I don't think we can afford a PowerMac. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you. 11 Jun 2004 18...

Mac newbie Question
I am considering switching to Mac (currently I'm a PC user with Dell) I would like some recommendations as far as what kind of system I will need. Currently I have a Pentium 4 2.66GHz with 1GB RAM, 128MB Dual Video Card, and Windows XP. I run a lot of Graphical software like Photoshop, LiveMotion, InDesign, Illustrator, as well as standard Office programs. I also do some video editing (mpeg and quicktime formats). I'm looking for something adequate to do the above tasks. If someone could guide me a bit. What kind of... Processor- Dual/Single? Speed? Memory? G4 or G5? Graphi...

dumb newbie question (or newbie dumb question)
Hi, I have the following code which finds and prints the first 2 digits in a string. I'm trying to make it more efficient. Here's the code: $sentence = "January 23, 1992"; if ($sentence =~ /\d\d/) { $sentence = "$&"; } print $sentence; If I know that "$sentence" will ALWAYS have a two digit date, is there a way I can get rid of the "if - then" statement and just have it print $sentence??? I tried this, and it doesn't work: $sentence = "January 23, 1992"; $sentence = /\d\d/; print $sentence; I'm just trying to make my scr...

Web resources about - Newbie questions when Apple store replaces a HDD... - comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc

Darren Lehmann health scare raises more questions about future as Australian coach
When Darren Lehmann packed his bags and left Brisbane eight days ago, after the second match of the ODI series against India, he was effectively ...

How Much Of Canada's Energy Industry Is Foreign-Owned? Good Question 27
"Unfortunately, there are no precise data on the foreign-owned share of the oil and gas sector."

First Hill Streetcar launch party planned — only question is when — UPDATE: SATURDAY SOFT LAUNCH
As of last Wednesday, Seattle Department of Transportation officials have a plan for the event to launch the First Hill Streetcar including a ...

Deadpool Answers Fan Questions
Yesterday, Deadpool (or the geniuses behind marketing the Deadpool film, anyway) took over the [...]

How To Answer The Five Dumbest Job Interview Questions
You're likely to be asked some very dumb questions on a job interview but how will you answer them? Here are suggested answers for the five dumbest ...

Woman questions husband's shooting by Phoenix-area police
A Texas woman is questioning what led suburban Phoenix police to fatally shoot her unarmed husband at a hotel.

MPs question Google’s £130m tax deal
Claims that US tech group got off too lightly

New series ‘Dark Net’ raises questions about tech’s hidden side
Many of us have a love/hate relationship with the role technology plays in our lives. We adore our mobile devices, our favorite apps, and websites, ...