partition won't mount - diagnostics says it's fine (?!)

Although diagnostics say it's fine, I have a partition which refuses to
mount (and there's a lot of stuff on it which I need to recover).

I'm running OS X Panther 10.3.9 on an older G4 desktop. I boot from a
20 gig internal hard drive and have a 200 gig Maxtor divided into two
100 gig partitions. I am running Hi-Cap software to get around the 128
meg drive limit, so I can access all the space on the Maxtor. (I've run
the software for over a year now - including the same drive on my
previous G3 Yosemite - and have not seen problems running it.)

However, recently one of the partitions on the Maxtor failed to mount,
while the other showed up as usual. I did in fact experience some
freezes accessing the mounted partition, so I presumed the worst and
backed up all the files that I could get to.

Disk Utility says that the absent partition is fine and can be mounted,
but is unable to do so. I ran a number of repair passes on the drive
until told that both partitions were repaired and good.

In spite of fixing partition #1, I had another bout of freezes working
with
it and again repaired it with Disk Utiltiy, making multiple passes
until told it was repaired. After figuring out how to do it, I
also checked everything out from the Terminal, running both
disktools and diskutil repairs on the drive and was again told it was
fine.
This ended my trouble from the mounted partition. Disk Utilities
consistently now verifies both volumes on the drive as just peachy, but
#2 still will not mount..

Using the 'mount' command and diskutil's mount function, I am told by
both that they have successfully mounted the volume, but it does not
appear on my desktop, nor when I ls /Volumes.

In desperation I booted in single user and ran applejack on my boot
drive, though it wasn't giving me any obvious trouble. Again, there
turned out to be some problems, and I ran the repair feature until told
it was fixed, but this had no effect on mounting the problem partition.

Suspicious that the problems might reappear with the mounted partition,
periodically run different diagnostics on it, but everything I
use tells me all my volumes are in dandy shape and are good to go, yet
the problem partition still cannot be mounted. Any suggestions?

0
steve
9/14/2006 6:26:40 PM
comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc 4192 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow