Printer ink level not changing in software - Canon ip4000

Hey all,

Got a Canon ip4000 photo printer last night, and am enjoying it a great
deal.

I printed around 150 pages of black-and-white text, and then went to
check the ink levels to see how efficient on ink this bad boy was going
to be.  I went into the Printer Utility, clicked on the ip4000 and
clicked on "Utility" to get into the "Ink Levels" portion of the
printer driver.

As far as I can tell, the level looks full (in the software).  I am
dumb, and did not check visually to verify, but assumed the black ink
should have lost at least a little bit of level after 150 pages (if
not, then GREAT!).

I read on an ePinions review that the Mac software for the ip4000 does
not reflect ink levels correctly until the ink is running low.  Then,
the exclamation point appears to denote replacement is needed.  Since I
wanted to get a feel for how quickly the level drops, it would suck if
this is the case.  Can anyone verify whether or not the ink level
should be more of a continuous indicator or if I should just get use to
it being an all-or-nothing indication?

Thanks for your help!

JoeK

0
junk557 (16)
2/4/2005 7:01:20 PM
comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc 4192 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

In article <1107543680.373524.217350@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
 junk@sutekh137.net wrote:

> I read on an ePinions review that the Mac software for the ip4000 does
> not reflect ink levels correctly until the ink is running low.  Then,
> the exclamation point appears to denote replacement is needed.  Since I
> wanted to get a feel for how quickly the level drops, it would suck if
> this is the case.  Can anyone verify whether or not the ink level
> should be more of a continuous indicator or if I should just get use to
> it being an all-or-nothing indication?

The sensors in Canon printers cannot detect how much ink there is in a
cartridge; they can only detect whether or not the ink is below a certain
level, i.e. almost empty.

If you want to know how much ink is left, just pull out the cartridges and
look at them.  They're transparent, so it's easy to see the ink level.

I don't think there are any inkjet printers capable of detecting the ink
level; some appear to do so, but they really just estimate how much ink
you've used based on how much printing has been done with each color, and
record it on a chip in each cartridge.  Canon printers don't use that
technology, so they can only tell you when a cartridge is almost empty.
0
Wayne
2/4/2005 9:05:05 PM
In article
<wayne.morris-371300.15050304022005@shawnews.wp.shawcable.net>,
 "Wayne C. Morris" <wayne.morris@this.is.invalid> wrote:

> I don't think there are any inkjet printers capable of detecting the ink
> level; some appear to do so, but they really just estimate how much ink
> you've used based on how much printing has been done with each color, and
> record it on a chip in each cartridge.

And some do that VERY poorly.  I had an Epson 777 (bundled with an iMac
about 3 yrs ago) and returned it because not only did it give completely
false reads, but the chip was positioned in the seal of the cartridge,
making it impossible to re-ink the carts, without causing it to
malfunction.

Just another case of planned obsolescence -- the printer co's make their
profit off the replacement carts, not off the machine itself.

One thing to remember -- the ink level in the "off the shelf" printer is
almost always less than what the capacity is.  They do that to get the
profit process rolling sooner....
0
RB
2/4/2005 9:11:18 PM
junk@sutekh137.net writes:

> I printed around 150 pages of black-and-white text, and then went to
> check the ink levels to see how efficient on ink this bad boy was
> going to be.  I went into the Printer Utility, clicked on the ip4000
> and clicked on "Utility" to get into the "Ink Levels" portion of the
> printer driver.
>
> As far as I can tell, the level looks full (in the software).  I am
> dumb, and did not check visually to verify, but assumed the black ink
> should have lost at least a little bit of level after 150 pages (if
> not, then GREAT!).
>
> I read on an ePinions review that the Mac software for the ip4000 does
> not reflect ink levels correctly until the ink is running low.  Then,
> the exclamation point appears to denote replacement is needed.  Since
> I wanted to get a feel for how quickly the level drops, it would suck
> if this is the case.  Can anyone verify whether or not the ink level
> should be more of a continuous indicator or if I should just get use
> to it being an all-or-nothing indication?

I don't know about this particular printer, but I do know that these
ink-level monitors are usually pretty terrible.

Some have a very simple sensor that only indicates "full", "almost
empty" and "empty".

Some printers don't even use a sensor.  The chip in the ink cartridge
simply reports a serial number.  The software driver estimates the
amount of ink based on how much of each color has been printed on a
given cartridge (keeping a database on your hard drive, indexed by the
serial numbers.)

Some (like many epsons) have a chip in the cartridge that simply ticks
down as it prints.  If you refill the cartridge, you need to manually
reset the chip (you can buy devices to do this) or it will indicate
empty once it ticks down to zero, even if it's full of ink.

My HP printer never ever reports empty.  I only find out when my
printouts start fading to white.

-- David
0
shamino

Printer Ink

mac software to change average dB level?
i am not a sound person so i don't really know what i am talking about... but i was instructed to make sure that the average dB level fo a piece of audio (in aiff format) was at -12 dB. i am using a macintosh and am wondering if there is a piece of sofware which would allow me to figure out my current average dB level and alter the dB level to -12 if necessary. thank you for any input. i have audacity and bias peak currently, though i know how to use neither. but i am hoping one of these programs might do the trick. thank you again. <robotbird@gmail.com> wrote: > i am not a so...

MAC software, printer, monitor & Misc for sale
Sorry for the intrusion, but I I have mostly MAC and a few PC and MAC&PC software for sale real cheap. Almost new printer-Epson, has clip broken on color cartridge but still works. I rarely used this printer. A monitor for both MAC/PC that runs great but is old model. Good for a backup. Some manuals and misc. stuff such as cables, etc. Everything is sold as is and first come & pay, first receive. Please visit http://www.eclectical.com/software.html for the list of items. Charlene sorry, I get a 404 error on that maybe later JB ...

FS: misc. Mac/PC hardware/software stuff
Apple Power Mac 7300/200 2G HD 512 RAM (Kingston) & manuals $50 Sony CPD-100VS monitor $25 Sony VAIO PCV-90 $50 Global Village Teleport 56K modem $25 Global Village Platinum 28.8 modem & manuals $25 SoundBlaster speakers $25 Iomega SCSI Zip 100 MB external drive $25 Iomega SCSI Jaz 2 G external drive $25 100 MB Zip disks $1 each (14) 250 MB Zip disks $3 each (26) 1 G Jaz disks $5 each (19) 2 G Jaz disks $7 each (3) Lacie 1 GB SCSI external drive $25 Palm Vx PDA $25 Agfa Arcus SCSI scanner (brand new, never used) $50 ATI video card 8 MB $20 ...

Mac software, printer, monitor, & misc for sale
Sorry to intrude here, but I have mostly MAC and a few PC and MAC&PC software for sale real cheap. Almost new printer-Epson, has clip broken on color cartridge but still works. I rarely used this printer. A monitor for both MAC/PC that runs great but is old model. Good for a backup. Some manuals and misc. stuff such as cables, etc. Everything is sold as is and first come & pay, first receive. Please visit http://www.eclectical.com/software.html for the list of items. Charlene ...

HP Printer Software to show INK Level? hp 932c
--------------------------------------------------- >Where can I get software that shows how much ink level I have left in >the cartridge. I have a HP 932c printer. The CD that came with my >printer was in french, so I found some drivers on the internet a couple of >years ago (in English). But mine does not show ink level. I have posted this before and as a result downloaded the latest software and drivers from the hp website. But my printer settings still don't show any ink level gage. Is there a 1-800 number for help with hp printers? tx [This ...

How can I reset the ink cartridge/ink level so the printer............
Hello, I own a HP PSC 1610 All-in-One Printer-Scanner-Copier which uses HP94 & HP95. I'm using generic brand cartridges and knew how to reset the cartridges, but I can't find the web sight that had pictures. In short, after the process, the printer's ink level checker will show full. All I remember is some tape, taped over one of the connections on the cartridge, but that's all I can remember. Please help. TIA. Billy Smitty wrote: > Hello, I own a HP PSC 1610 All-in-One Printer-Scanner-Copier which uses HP94 > & HP95. I'm using generic brand...

How can I reset the ink cartridge/ink level so the printer............
Hello, I own a HP PSC 1610 All-in-One Printer-Scanner-Copier which uses HP94 & HP95. I'm using generic brand cartridges and knew how to reset the cartridges, but I can't find the web sight that had pictures. In short, after the process, the printer's ink level checker will show full. All I remember is some tape, taped over one of the connections on the cartridge, but that's all I can remember. Please help. TIA. On Apr 16, 4:00=A0pm, billy smith <billy.sm...@Yenc.com> wrote: > Hello, I own a HP PSC 1610 All-in-One Printer-Scanner-Copier which > uses HP94 &g...

Epson C82 Stylus printer - Ink level indicator
Does the online Ink level utility tell me the true level or is it just a ballpark guess-imation? It is an average but pretty accurate. <Cindg88@nospamhere.com> wrote in message news:4o5jivcgidv87o3sj7mqicjvmru27d6f4u@4ax.com... > Does the online Ink level utility tell me the true > level or is it just a ballpark guess-imation? Saftymom123, There is still ink in the cartridge when the utility shows empty. Some suggest that to utilize all of the ink in the cartridge, to purchase a chip resetter to reset the cartridge to show that the cartridge is fill and ...

FA: PC Misc Hardware, Misc Software, Joysticks, Zip Drive and Disks
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=steelhors e86&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=50 ...

FA: PC Misc Hardware, Misc Software, Joysticks, Zip Drive and Disks #3
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=steelhorse86 ...

FA: PC Misc Hardware, Misc Software, Joysticks, Zip Drive and Disks #2
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=steelhors e86 ...

Printer/Airport/Ink Level
I have just set up a Canon i965 with Airport Express, it's working fine, but Utility in the Printer List is greyed out. I would like to check the ink levels, I have tried Printers/Supply Levels but get the message "Information not available". Is it possible to check levels with this set up or will I have to revert plugging the printer into the Mac. John ...

hardware vs software MAC
Hi All: I have been involved in coding network layers and higher layers for quite some now. Nowadays in the "ultra low power" scene I am increasingly seeing MAC layers being coded as hardware state machines instead of being in software. The reason given is coding the MAC in hardware makes it "ultra low power" I wonder if any of you know of any comparison or study of hardware vs S/W MACs ? And yes do you guys agree, if MAC in S/W is really power consuming, especially when battery voltages are going lower and micro-Cs are becoming low power too? regards ashu ...

Mac has great software, hardware so-so and too pricey
The Mac is a very easy and fun computer to use for work and play because of the software. The hardware is well designed but the quality of it is no better and, in some cases, not as good as that which is available for PC. One of the major strikes against Apple is that it stuffs too much into too small a space and everything runs hotter - creating the potential for early failure of system hardware. If Psystar wins its case, people can buy parts and make their own machine and buy Apple and other Mac software to run on it. Or they can buy a pre-built system at a lower price. ...

Web resources about - Printer ink level not changing in software - Canon ip4000 - comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc

Changing room - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A changing room , locker room , dressing room (usually in a sports, theater or staff context) or changeroom (regional use) is a room or area ...

Beyond Timeline: The Changing Face Of Facebook Ads
Despite the hype, timeline may not be the most exciting, or important change coming on March 30. Expanded advertising opportunities may unlock ...

Robert Scoble - Micromedia, how it's changing what we blog - Facebook
Jeremiah Owyang wrote an interesting piece about micromedia and how it's changing what we do on blogs and how we distribute media (er, ideas, ...

8 Ways the Changing Facebook Home Page Will Affect Application Virality
For developers who live and die by the changes Facebook makes to the way information flows through the service, every little Facebook tweak has ...

Changing Lanes (@chginglanes) on Twitter

Changing the way business decisions are made
We believe that social data has unlimited value, and near limitless application. Today, we’re taking an important step toward unleashing this ...

The Right and Wrong Reasons for Changing Jobs
... your profile is a clue to the folks at LinkedIn that you’re thinking of switching jobs, so don’t be The Right and Wrong Reasons for Changing ...

We're Changing Our Name (Back) to Stack Overflow
We are Stack Overflow. You may know us from such popular websites as Stack Overflow Q&A, Stack Overflow Careers, The Stack Exchange Q&A Network, ...

The Tao of Twitter: Changing your life and business 140 characters at a time - Amazon
It's time to take the mystery out of Twitter. Twitter may be the most powerful business and personal networking platform ever created but it ...

App Store - Voices 2 ~ fun voice changing!
Read reviews, get customer ratings, see screenshots, and learn more about Voices 2 ~ fun voice changing! on the App Store. Download Voices 2 ...