Read Mac 800k disk w/ PC 1.44 drive?

Is there any way I can read from an older Mac 800kb disk on a PC w/
1.44 FDs under windoze, DOS etc?

Perhaps some sort of driver or software utility that would allow files
to be copied off the 800kb diskette?

thanks!

0
pgtr
1/21/2004 8:23:32 PM
comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc 4192 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 14:23:32 -0600,
    pgtr () wrote:

> Is there any way I can read from an older Mac 800kb disk on a PC w/
> 1.44 FDs under windoze, DOS etc?

Yes, but you need special hardware.  The Central Point CopyIIPC board
(which is no longer available - but for which I wrote a Linux driver for
kernel 1.0!), and the Catweasel ISA controller, which will read the disk
sector-by-sector:
<http://www.geocities.com/the_astronomical_pocket_diary/catweasl.htm>

--
Bev A. Kupf
Tintin turns 75 <http://www.tintin.com>

>Is there any way I can read from an older Mac 800kb disk on a PC w/
>1.44 FDs under windoze, DOS etc?

Back in the day, somebody told me Apple floppy drives were variable-speed
and PC drives were all fixed-speed.  So Macs could actually get more out of
the same disk by storing more data on the outer tracks.

If what I was told is true, it would be impossible to read a Mac floppy on
a PC drive, but reading a PC floppy on a Mac drive could be done with the
right software.

>Perhaps some sort of driver or software utility that would allow files
>to be copied off the 800kb diskette?

Your best bet is to find a friend who has a Mac with a floppy and a CD
burner (or an internet connection) and get him to transfer the files for
you.  You could fit the contents of several hundred floppies on a single CD.

(Not me, I quit buying floppy drives in the 90s.)

-- spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net
The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.
0
lewis