Recovering files from hard disk

I accidentally  knocked one of my hard disks on top of another hard
disk and knocked the tracking head (or what ever it's called) off
track, is there any way to recover the files from the disk, this is one
of many external drives I have. And before you ask no it was not backed
up.
0
henry
9/5/2014 9:29:18 PM
comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc 4192 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

In article <050920141429184527%henry@att.net>, <henry@att.net> wrote:

> I accidentally  knocked one of my hard disks on top of another hard
> disk and knocked the tracking head (or what ever it's called) off
> track, is there any way to recover the files from the disk, this is one
> of many external drives I have. And before you ask no it was not backed
> up.

how do you know you knocked the tracking head off track?
it's all internal.

but to answer the question, if the hard drive is not readable anymore
and recovery tools do not work, then contact drivesavers. they'll open
the drive in a cleanroom and recover it. it also won't be cheap.

<http://www.drivesavers.com/>
0
nospam
9/5/2014 9:57:27 PM
In article <050920141757270346%nospam@nospam.invalid>, nospam
<nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> In article <050920141429184527%henry@att.net>, <henry@att.net> wrote:
>
> > I accidentally  knocked one of my hard disks on top of another hard
> > disk and knocked the tracking head (or what ever it's called) off
> > track, is there any way to recover the files from the disk, this is one
> > of many external drives I have. And before you ask no it was not backed
> > up.
>

> but to answer the question, if the hard drive is not readable anymore
> and recovery tools do not work,

What recovery tools would you recommend?
0
henry
9/5/2014 10:35:40 PM
In article <050920141535403455%henry@att.net>, <henry@att.net> wrote:

> > > I accidentally  knocked one of my hard disks on top of another hard
> > > disk and knocked the tracking head (or what ever it's called) off
> > > track, is there any way to recover the files from the disk, this is one
> > > of many external drives I have. And before you ask no it was not backed
> > > up.
> >

> > but to answer the question, if the hard drive is not readable anymore
> > and recovery tools do not work,
>
> What recovery tools would you recommend?

that depends what's wrong with it.

if it's making noises, don't even try. you are going to need
professional recovery and it's not cheap.

if it's not making noises, then maybe you can do it yourself. however,
what you *don't* want to do is make things worse. be very careful what
you do.

disk warrior and data rescue are both good, but they address different
failures. chances are you don't have directory corruption (which
diskwarrior almost always fixes) and there's a demo version of data
rescue, so try data rescue.
0
nospam

on recovering a few files on a failing hard disk
So it turns out that my ancient suspicions were correct: there is something wrong with my hard drive. I thought there was something flukey about the interface (it's a laptop, and has crashed when unmounting fat partions for years). Anyway, it still boots, but seems to be failing fast. There are fery few, if any, unbacked files on /home--maybe only the nethack record and log files (whoops, those are on /usr). Mostly I need to check for good measure. Given that I have a bad disk, what's my best bet? Is it worth burning a live cd so that I can mount it read only--will ...

Best Hard Disks Buy Online, Cost effective Transcend Hard Disks, Best Price External Hard Disks, Imation Hard Disks
Best Hard Disks Buy Online, Cost effective Transcend Hard Disks, Best Price External Hard Disks, Imation Hard Disks Best Hard Disks =96 Smart Shoppers - provides transcend hard disks, external hard disks, imation hard disks, western digital hard disks at reasonable price. Contact: http://www.smartshoppers.in/category/best-hard-disks Customer Support Number: +91 044-45590370 best hard disks transcend hard disks external hard disks imation hard disks western digital hard disks ...

[...]

FA: PC Misc Hardware, Misc Software, Joysticks, Zip Drive and Disks
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=steelhors e86&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=50 ...

FA: PC Misc Hardware, Misc Software, Joysticks, Zip Drive and Disks #3
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=steelhorse86 ...

FA: PC Misc Hardware, Misc Software, Joysticks, Zip Drive and Disks #2
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=steelhors e86 ...

Copy hard disk to hard disk across network
I'm trying to clone the hard disk in my laptop to another connected over a network in my desktop pc which will eventually replace the existing one. After hours of trying to get this to work I'm stumped - Norton Ghost complains that it can't create a virtual partition to boot due (finally realised this was down to a conflict with Partition Magic). Powerquest Drive Image wants me to create a boot floppy, my laptop doesn't have a floppy drive as it's a slimmed down one with floppies as add-ons which I don't really want to buy just for this use so I can't do this. How e...

How can I recover my hard disk?
I had an external 2.5" hard drive in an external enclosure. It seems to have died. : ( It's stopped spinning suddenly. Is there ANYTHING I can do to bring it to life? Else is there ANYTHING I can do to get my data!? Thanks. OM "OM" <om.newsgroup@gmail.com> writes: > I had an external 2.5" hard drive in an external enclosure. > > It seems to have died. : ( > It's stopped spinning suddenly. > Is there ANYTHING I can do to bring it to life? > Else is there ANYTHING I can do to get my data!? First, learn an important lesson about ke...

Copy Image of 10Gb Hard Disk to 20Gb Hard Disk
I have a Western Dig 10G hard disk on my system. I just bought a Western 20G hard disk. The 10 is installed as Drive C, the 20 as Drive D I want to copy a mirror image of my 10 onto the 20, then make the 20 Drive C (in this way increase the capacity of my C Drive from 10 to 20). I understand I cannot just do a "copy *.*" from one drive to another - I may need a special utility to properly copy all the files. These are both Caviar drives, and I have the hard disk utilities floppy that comes with these drives. I think the utility to do this may even be on this floppy. Does anyon...

Hard Disk Cloning on Macs
Hello all, I am in need of finding a Macintosh disk cloning application. I work at a university and need a way to distribute a disk image to multiple new machines of the same configuration Entity Robert spoke thus: > Hello all, > > I am in need of finding a Macintosh disk cloning application. I work at a > university and need a way to distribute a disk image to multiple new > machines of the same configuration http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html Bombich Software: Carbon Copy Cloner In article <1cdd6f57.0402201000.e2c60e8@posting.google.com>, robert.koss@ia-t...

how to recover data from a hard disk
Hi, Sorry to bother, but need help with following problem- I have permanently deleted 60jpg+nef files from my hard disk, and then have overwritten on the same hard disk. the basic software recovery programmes are of no help. Can any body suggest something. regards ishwinder ishwinderjauhar@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > Sorry to bother, but need help with following problem- > I have permanently deleted 60jpg+nef files from my hard disk, and then > have overwritten on the same hard disk. > the basic software recovery programmes are of no help. > Can any body suggest something. >...

recover a formatted hard disk
Hi, I have landed into a big mess. I was trying to install Manadrek Linux on my desktop that had 2 hardisks. One had WinXP(HDD1) and the other had some Linux version(HDD2) which i wanted to remove.I disabled my XP hard disk and installed my linux on the other one. After the installation i realized somehow even though i had disabled my XP hard drive Linux formatted my XP hard drive(HDD1) instead of Linux(HDD2). Now, all my data is gone since i also used that hard drive to backup all my data recovering the data is extreamly important. Can someone please help me understand, is there a way to r...

Tar file to hard-disk
Hi folks, On "sun os 4.1.4" 1) "tar cvf /dev/nrst0 /usr" --> work how about " tar cvf /dev/nrsd0h /usr " --> does this work ? Anyone experienced or tried this before ? Thank you / best regards JC User-Agent: Unison/1.5.2 On 2005-03-02 05:25:24 +0000, "Johnny Chong" <gem_solutions@myjaring.net> said: > Hi folks, > > On "sun os 4.1.4" > > 1) "tar cvf /dev/nrst0 /usr" --> work > > how about " tar cvf /dev/nrsd0h /usr " --> does this work ? Dep...

Web resources about - Recovering files from hard disk - comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc

Recovering Torpedo - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Recovering Torpedo. , ca. 1918. Still Picture Records LICON, Special Media Archives Services Division (NWCS-S), National Archives at College ...

Weekly Address: Recovering and Rebuilding after the Storm - YouTube
In this week's address, President Obama thanks the brave first responders and National Guardsmen for their tireless work following one of the ...

Elderly Emirati man filmed on camera being abused by caregiver is recovering
The 88-year-old man’s son set up the camera to monitor the Asian caregiver when he suspected his father was being abused, and discovered that ...

Jail for Donna Clark for giving methadone and marijuana to 16-year-old recovering from a drug overdose ...
A woman has been jailed for giving a 16-year-old given methadone and marijuana shortly after he was discharged from hospital following a drug ...

Sydney cop recovering after horror smash
Police in Sydney say it is unbelievable six people, including two of their own, did not sustain more serious injuries from an out-of-control ...

Two survivors of Calwell attack are 'recovering well', family say
Two survivors of the attack that allegedly killed Tara Costigan are "recovering well", their family says.

Wilkie recovering from surgery
... resumption of parliament on Monday despite an unexpected trip to hospital. Mr Wilkie, the member for the Tasmanian seat of Denison, is recovering ...

Girl shot by Taliban is recovering well

Drag racer Phil Lamattina recovering after car snaps in two
Victorian drag racer Phil Lamattina is recovering in hospital after suffering a shattered vertebrae in a crash that snapped his car in two.

'I'm still recovering and I'm still in grief': Kidman
Nicole Kidman has spoken candidly about the death of her father, saying she is still &quot;recovering&quot;.