USB cable touchy?

15-inch late 2100 MacBook Pro, so 2 USB sockets.  Using an external USB 3.0 1
TB disk for Time Machine, connected with a 10' cable.  With almost no
provocation, I get error "Disk Not Ejected Properly" and the icon disappears.

Sometimes, just wiggling the connector fixes it, other times I have to move the
cable over the other socket.

Any suggestions for making the connection more secure?  The original cable was
only 3', and was too limiting in moving the laptop around.

| Brian Gordon     -->briang@panix.com<--     brian dot gordon at cox dot net |
+ brianggordon@hotmail.com   Bass: Lexington "Main Street Harmonizers" chorus +
briang
10/16/2014 9:17:34 PM
comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc 4192 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

In article <m1pcle$fsb$1@panix3.panix.com>,
 briang@panix.com (Brian Gordon) wrote:

> 15-inch late 2100 MacBook Pro, so 2 USB sockets.  Using an external USB 3.0 1
> TB disk for Time Machine, connected with a 10' cable.  With almost no
> provocation, I get error "Disk Not Ejected Properly" and the icon disappears.
>
> Sometimes, just wiggling the connector fixes it, other times I have to move
> the
> cable over the other socket.
>
> Any suggestions for making the connection more secure?  The original cable
> was
> only 3', and was too limiting in moving the laptop around.

The problem may not actually be an intermittent connection. From what I
read, 10 feet (3 meters) is right at the maximum cable length
recommended for USB 3.0, and that length might be reliable only with a
very high quality cable.

Isaac
0
isw
10/17/2014 6:38:39 AM
Okay, so one time? In band camp? Brian Gordon <briang@panix.com> was all, like:
> 15-inch late 2100 MacBook Pro, so 2 USB sockets.  Using an external USB 3.0 1
> TB disk for Time Machine, connected with a 10' cable.  With almost no
> provocation, I get error "Disk Not Ejected Properly" and the icon disappears.

In my experience, cables over 2 meters are not worth the trouble for
anything other than an occasionally used device with low bandwidth (like
a printer). Yes, the spec claims that 5 meters is fine, but that's never
been the case with generic cables.

I did have one 5m USB cable a long time ago (before USB 2) that was
about twice as thick as a normal cable and used it to connect to a
distant printer and it worked fine for several years.

> Any suggestions for making the connection more secure?  The original cable was
> only 3', and was too limiting in moving the laptop around.

If you are moving around with cables connected, you are shortening the
life of the cables and the connectors.

--
"640K ought to be enough RAM for anybody." - Bill Gates, 1981
0

Plug-in USB hardware device captures keystrokes on Mac and PC USB keyboards.
Plug-in KeyGhost USB Keylogger (hardware device) records all keystrokes typed on any PC and Mac USB keyboards. (PS/2 and Large Dinn models also available) Easiest way to capture keystrokes on any Mac or PC. Record all keystrokes typed on USB keyboards now. Installs in under 5 seconds, just plug it in. Can record on one computer and retrieve on another. Keystrokes stored in internal flash memory, no batteries required. No software install required to record or retrieve keystrokes. KeyGhost USB Keylogger contains built-in access menu that works in any text editor on PC or Mac. http://ww...

USB cable touchy? #2
15-inch late 2011 MacBook Pro, so 2 USB sockets. Using an external USB 3.0 1 TB disk for Time Machine, connected with a 10' cable. With almost no provocation, I get error "Disk Not Ejected Properly" and the icon disappears. Sometimes, just wiggling the connector fixes it, other times I have to move the cable over the other socket. Any suggestions for making the connection more secure? The original cable was only 3', and was too limiting in moving the laptop around. -- +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ | Brian Go...

FS: Misc Sun hardware / cables ....what do you need?
Cleaning out the garage, ........Video cards, NICs, lots of hard drives (with sleds), some old Ultra systems, One Blade 100 system..... SCSI cables, what do you need? Ask me first.....just make it worth my while to box it up. -rj ...

FS: 4 ZIPLINQ USB A-B cables + 5 ZIPLINQ 4-pin Mini USB cables
I bought these from a vendor at the CES show in Vegas a while back and have done nothing but let them sit on a shelf. They are all in brand new in retail boxed packaging. I can ship one of any of these in the retail box in a standard USPS Priority Mail box, or I can include any combination of these removed from the retail boxes in a single USPS Priority Mail small box. Check them out at the vendor website: http://www.ziplinq.com/retractable-cable-usb.html Make me an offer! I can sell them all in a single lot or individually. First come first serve (for all reasonable offers) ...

Using Nokia USB cable to transfer data to Mac
I have bought a Nokia USB Connectivity Cable. Is there any OSX software to download so that I can transfer data from my 6670 Nokia to my Mac? (My computer, a G4, is not Bluetooth) cheers Matt In article <1159192094.923204.295230@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, groucho@mockfrog.com wrote: > I have bought a Nokia USB Connectivity Cable. Is there any OSX software > to download so that I can transfer data from my 6670 Nokia to my Mac? > > (My computer, a G4, is not Bluetooth) > > cheers > > Matt Can't say about the software, but you could have bought a U...

Can you connect a Mac to a cable modem via USB?
Just wondering. If anyone has an answer, I'd appreciate it. "Boris Badenuff" <boris@badenuff.com> wrote in message news:vj77uu41ofdr8f@corp.supernews.com... > Just wondering. If anyone has an answer, I'd appreciate it. > > > I'm sure it's possible, but I have not yet seen a cable modem that supports it. Could be they don't think there's enough of a market to support the expense of developing Mac USB drivers. There are very few Macs that meet the system requirements that don't support ethernet. "Mike Rush&...

FS: misc. Mac/PC hardware/software stuff
Apple Power Mac 7300/200 2G HD 512 RAM (Kingston) & manuals $50 Sony CPD-100VS monitor $25 Sony VAIO PCV-90 $50 Global Village Teleport 56K modem $25 Global Village Platinum 28.8 modem & manuals $25 SoundBlaster speakers $25 Iomega SCSI Zip 100 MB external drive $25 Iomega SCSI Jaz 2 G external drive $25 100 MB Zip disks $1 each (14) 250 MB Zip disks $3 each (26) 1 G Jaz disks $5 each (19) 2 G Jaz disks $7 each (3) Lacie 1 GB SCSI external drive $25 Palm Vx PDA $25 Agfa Arcus SCSI scanner (brand new, never used) $50 ATI video card 8 MB $20 ...

HDs for graphics
Here's my scenario... can't afford to, can't afford not to. I've been working without a net for way too long and it's catching up to me. My only backup has been zips and they have proven inadequate and too costly. It seems that any technical knowledge I once had has either become out-dated or has been forgotten:( Problems that have been occurring: Not enough memory messages, not enough disk space messages, programs quitting, not a lot of freezing surprisingly. And, in high-res in Photoshop or Illustrator with raster images.... crawling-apply-a-brush-stroke-and-go-to-lunch ...

hooking up a hardware terminal to a mac (e.g., vt100, serial/usb)
Hi All, I'd like to use a hardware terminal to access my mac. I suppose that i would need some kind of usb to serial port adapter, some comm software, and a hardware terminal (e.g., a vt100). Has anybody here done this? Are there hardware terminals which connect through usb? I'm pretty flexible about what kind of terminal and/or adapter to get. My only real requirement is that it not just be another computer that i network into the mac (because i don't want to mess with hard- drives, boxes, lots of cables, etc etc etc). I just want another line into the mac, running at a mod...

mac mini loses keyboard with usb -> ps2 conversion cable
I have a Mac Mini and and have a USB -> PS2 conversion cable for my wireless keyboard. After any interval longer than 10 minutes of no use, the mini loses track or recognition of the keyboard. If I unplug and replug the usb cable, everything is fine again. Anyone else heard of this problem? ...

possible to lock the iphone or ipod USB cable to the mac or pc
i was thinking of leaving the iphone USB cable at the office, but since about 80 coworkers sit on 80 desks in a big room, so there is a good chance that some coworkers will come over and take the cable for "temporary use", and if i don't go through all 80 desks to see who took it, then after a few days the cable has a good chance of being gone forever. so i was thinking of using a lock to lock down this USB cable to the computer... but assuming the USB plug can pass through the "loop" part of the lock, it seems that no matter how i tie a knot on the USB cable, anybod...

quality audio output from macs: via usb with extra hardware or via just audio out plus well amped speakers
hi there i want to have decent audio output of itunes: should i just stick to the audio out channel provided by apple and add some good amplifier and good speakers or are other hardware D/A converters preferable? does a good amp make no sense without a better D/A converter? and which hardware solutions are recommendable for audiophiles? thanks, olli In article <cpm626$1jq7$1@otis.netspace.net.au>, "oliver" <oliver_baumann@nospam.justemail.net> wrote: > hi there > > i want to have decent audio output of itunes: > > should i just stick to the au...

quality audio output from macs: via usb with extra hardware or via just audio out plus well amped speakers
hi there i want to have decent audio output from itunes: should i just stick to the audio out channel provided by apple and add some good amplifier and good speakers or are other hardware D/A converters preferable? does a good amp make no sense without a better D/A converter? and which hardware solutions are recommendable for audiophiles? thanks, olli I recommond the harman kardon soundsticks II. The audio is superb. The rel II has a simple connection to your sound output. I have it working with my tray-loading imac. The version I has a usb connection and only works ...

PC-USB to PC-USB cable schematic
Hello, Has anyone a PC-USB to PC-USB cable schematic? Thank's It's pretty complex. Basically, it's two USB-to-Ethernet converters, with the two converters connected by a "crossover" cable, all in one package. Jos? Sim?o wrote: > Hello, > Has anyone a PC-USB to PC-USB cable schematic? > Thank's ...

Web resources about - USB cable touchy? - comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc

A touchy subject - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Genetics, the unstoppable force. And so it is that at the ripe old age of 22 my hair is starting to fall out. Slaphead. Baldie. Stock photos ...

Touchy-feely Thaiday knows pain of the match that got away
Brisbane captain Sam Thaiday said he was demonstrating what rival Bryan Norrie had done to him when he grabbed referee Adam Devcich by the shirt ...

Woolies target a touchy point
To achieve its goals, Woolworths will need to take some more market share from its smaller rivals - a touchy point amid debate over the duopoly's ...

Free tram travel in CBD and Docklands a touchy subject for some
Tram travel will be free in the CBD and Docklands from January 1, but unwary passengers who touch on inside the free zone will still be automatically ...

Free tram travel in CBD and Docklands a touchy subject for some
Tram travel will be free in the CBD and Docklands from January 1, but unwary passengers who touch on inside the free zone will still be automatically ...

Talks with Kerry to broach touchy issues
Talks with Kerry to broach touchy issues

Google Settles Its Touchy Legal Issues With Immersion
Touch-feedback firm Immersion said Tuesday that it has reached a settlement with Google’s Motorola unit over the use of haptic technology in ...

Cydia Tweak: Link iOS Apps To Your Fingerprints Using Touchy
Remember Touchy, the Touch ID-powered app shortcut tweak we first told you about last week? It’s now available to download in the Cydia Store ...

“The subject is touchy”— 2Dark is a game where even the children aren’t safe
We chat with the creator of Alone in the Dark about his new survival-horror game.

Touchy, Touchy
New York Governor Andrew Cuomo is divorced and has a girlfriend, Sandra Lee, who’s a TV celebrity cook specializing in “semi-homemade” cooking ...