Video cable for iPod Video?

I see that there are video/audio cables for certain iPod models that plug
into the headphone connector and thereby provide a means to display video on
a TV or monitor. There are other models of iPod that require a dock in order
to display video on an external screen.

Is the former option (cable in the headphone jack) available for the 5G (not
the 5.5G) iPod Video 30GB?

Thanks,
--
John English

0
incognito (43)
1/17/2007 11:29:49 PM
comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc 4192 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

In article <0001HW.C1D3F16D00EC8F31F02845B0@news.readfreenews.net>,
 John E. <incognito@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I see that there are video/audio cables for certain iPod models that
> plug into the headphone connector and thereby provide a means to
> display video on a TV or monitor.

There are?  That's news to me.  All the ones I know about require the
dock connector to display video.

--
Support the troops:  Bring them home ASAP.
0
 Michelle Steiner <michelle@michelle.org> wrote:

> In article <0001HW.C1D3F16D00EC8F31F02845B0@news.readfreenews.net>,
>  John E. <incognito@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I see that there are video/audio cables for certain iPod models that
> > plug into the headphone connector and thereby provide a means to
> > display video on a TV or monitor.
>
> There are?  That's news to me.  All the ones I know about require the
> dock connector to display video.

I have a cable that allows me to plug 'n play my 60 GB 5G iPod into the
RCA jacks on my TV. It looks just like a headphone plug, except that it
has three distinct connectors (just like a camcorder mini-jack-- as a
matter of fact, it *is* a camcorder mini-jack). The dock connector is
required AFAIK to connect the iPod to and s-video jack, though.
0
bearclaw
1/18/2007 12:56:20 AM
On 2007-01-17 17:29:49 -0600, John E. <incognito@yahoo.com> said:

> Is the former option (cable in the headphone jack) available for the 5G
> (not the 5.5G) iPod Video 30GB?

I use Apple's iPod AV cable to watch movies and TV shows on my
television from my 5G iPod 60 GB all the time:

<http://tinyurl.com/yluwb5>

Note: If you want to be able to *control* your iPod with an Apple
remote, you'll need a dock (and an Apple remote, of course).

--
JR

0
Jolly
1/18/2007 1:37:32 AM
bearclaw@cruller.invalid writes:

> In article <michelle-1B5993.16401617012007@news.east.cox.net>,
>  Michelle Steiner <michelle@michelle.org> wrote:
>
> > In article <0001HW.C1D3F16D00EC8F31F02845B0@news.readfreenews.net>,
> >  John E. <incognito@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I see that there are video/audio cables for certain iPod models that
> > > plug into the headphone connector and thereby provide a means to
> > > display video on a TV or monitor.
> >
> > There are?  That's news to me.  All the ones I know about require the
> > dock connector to display video.
>
> I have a cable that allows me to plug 'n play my 60 GB 5G iPod into the
> RCA jacks on my TV. It looks just like a headphone plug, except that it
> has three distinct connectors (just like a camcorder mini-jack-- as a
> matter of fact, it *is* a camcorder mini-jack).

Ditto for my 30 GB iPod video from summer 06.
0
Doug
1/18/2007 2:59:15 AM
In article <bearclaw-2CDC4F.18562017012007@news.supernews.com>,
 bearclaw@cruller.invalid wrote:

> > There are?  That's news to me.  All the ones I know about require
> > the dock connector to display video.
>
> I have a cable that allows me to plug 'n play my 60 GB 5G iPod into
> the RCA jacks on my TV.

Just goes to show that I don't know everything, and some of what I think
I know is just plain wrong.

I guess that makes me human.

--
Support the troops:  Bring them home ASAP.
0
Michelle
1/18/2007 3:24:18 AM
In article <michelle-527D98.20241817012007@news.east.cox.net>,
 Michelle Steiner <michelle@michelle.org> wrote:

> In article <bearclaw-2CDC4F.18562017012007@news.supernews.com>,
>  bearclaw@cruller.invalid wrote:
>
> > > There are?  That's news to me.  All the ones I know about require
> > > the dock connector to display video.
> >
> > I have a cable that allows me to plug 'n play my 60 GB 5G iPod into
> > the RCA jacks on my TV.
>
> Just goes to show that I don't know everything, and some of what I think
> I know is just plain wrong.
>
> I guess that makes me human.

Yeah, but you are a Mac advocate, so that gets you into heaven :-)
0
bearclaw
1/18/2007 5:08:54 AM
Jolly Roger <jollyroger@null.org> writes:

> On 2007-01-17 17:29:49 -0600, John E. <incognito@yahoo.com> said:
>
> > Is the former option (cable in the headphone jack) available for
> > the 5G (not the 5.5G) iPod Video 30GB?
>
> I use Apple's iPod AV cable to watch movies and TV shows on my
> television from my 5G iPod 60 GB all the time:

And if you don't want to spend the money on Apple's iPod AV cable, any
camcorder cable with the same plugs (3.5 mm plug in one end, three RCA
in the other) will work. You just have to swap the colours around a
bit (I don't remember, but possibly the video is sent over the red RCA
plug, not the yellow).

/Stefan
0
Stefan
1/18/2007 10:26:41 AM
Thanks to all for you help in identifying the right cable(s).

Enjoy,
--
John English

0
John
1/18/2007 8:44:49 PM
John E. <incognito@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks to all for you help in identifying the right cable(s).
>
> Enjoy,

I should add that not all camcorder cables with 3.5 jack to 3 RCA plugs
will work with the iPod. This is because on some brands the ground is in
a different place on the jack (the others can be switched around, but
not the ground). The one you want is a Sony camcorder cable. It is much
cheaper than the Apple iPod AV cable. You just have to remember that the
red RCA carries the video rather than the yellow in the Apple cable.

--
Adrian
0
nonesuch@place.com (Adrian) writes:

> John E. <incognito@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks to all for you help in identifying the right cable(s).
> >
> > Enjoy,
>
> I should add that not all camcorder cables with 3.5 jack to 3 RCA
> plugs will work with the iPod. This is because on some brands the
> ground is in a different place on the jack (the others can be
> switched around, but not the ground). The one you want is a Sony
> camcorder cable. It is much cheaper than the Apple iPod AV
> cable. You just have to remember that the red RCA carries the video
> rather than the yellow in the Apple cable.
>
> -- Adrian

Sorry, didn't know about different cables for different camcorders. I
was just lucky enough to try with a Sony cable... Thanks for the
clarification!

/Stefan
0
Stefan
1/19/2007 6:38:51 AM
Adrian said:

> I should add that not all camcorder cables with 3.5 jack to 3 RCA plugs
> will work with the iPod. This is because on some brands the ground is in
> a different place on the jack (the others can be switched around, but
> not the ground). The one you want is a Sony camcorder cable. It is much
> cheaper than the Apple iPod AV cable. You just have to remember that the
> red RCA carries the video rather than the yellow in the Apple cable.

A small but critical detail. Thanks!
--
John English

0
John
1/19/2007 6:11:40 PM
John E. <incognito@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Adrian said:
>
> > I should add that not all camcorder cables with 3.5 jack to 3 RCA plugs
> > will work with the iPod. This is because on some brands the ground is in
> > a different place on the jack (the others can be switched around, but
> > not the ground). The one you want is a Sony camcorder cable. It is much
> > cheaper than the Apple iPod AV cable. You just have to remember that the
> > red RCA carries the video rather than the yellow in the Apple cable.
>
> A small but critical detail. Thanks!

Happy to help.

--
Adrian
0
Adrian wrote:
> The one you want is a Sony camcorder cable. It is much
> cheaper than the Apple iPod AV cable. You just have to remember that the
> red RCA carries the video rather than the yellow in the Apple cable.

I believe Radio Shack sells one of these.  Haven't bought one yet,
but the clerk described such swappage.

--
Clem
"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over."
:
: I believe Radio Shack sells one of these.  Haven't bought one yet,
: but the clerk described such swappage.

There are cheap 3rd party iPod AV cables on the market now, some of them
cheaper than the camcorder cables I've seen. I can't speak to the quality,
though. I think I've seen one on Dealmac for less than $5 before.

--
 agreenbu @ nyx . net                             andrew michael greenburg
0
andrewunix <agreenbu@nyx.net> wrote:

> There are cheap 3rd party iPod AV cables on the market now, some of them
> cheaper than the camcorder cables I've seen. I can't speak to the quality,
> though. I think I've seen one on Dealmac for less than $5 before.

Yes. When I mentioned that you need a Sony camcorder cable I really
should have said a Sony *type* camcorder cable. I have an Apple AV cable
and a Chinese copy of a Sony cable ... both work equally well (though
iPod video is far from HD so it isn't going to challenge the cable
capability too much).

--
Adrian
0
On 1/17/07 6:40 PM, "Michelle Steiner" <michelle@michelle.org> wrote:

> In article <0001HW.C1D3F16D00EC8F31F02845B0@news.readfreenews.net>,
>  John E. <incognito@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> I see that there are video/audio cables for certain iPod models that
>> plug into the headphone connector and thereby provide a means to
>> display video on a TV or monitor.
>
> There are?  That's news to me.  All the ones I know about require the
> dock connector to display video.

The Apple iPod AV Cable does exactly that.  See
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco
=1EA08367&nplm=M9765G%2FB

0
Robert

How to convert DVD and video to iPod touch, iPod classic, iPod nano, iPod video?
Here is a step by step guide about converting DVD, Videos, Flash and Youtube videos to iPod touch, iPod classic, iPod nano, iPod video. It works well. http://www.dvdtoipodtouch.biz/dvdtoipodtouchguide/guide-rip-dvd-and-convert-video-to-ipod-touch-video-mp4-on-win.html On Dec 29, 5:12=A0am, maysefooters <maysefoot...@yahoo.com> wrote: > Here is a step by step guide about converting DVD, Videos, Flash and > Youtube videos to iPod touch, iPod classic, iPod nano, iPod video... SPAM reported. Handbrake is freeware ... and lacks a crappy I/O. -hh On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 06:14:21 -0600,...

True video iPod vs fake video iPod
Some people have been talking about Apple someday releasing a true video iPod. Does true mean anything more than a wider screen? In article <no-B48F70.15224719092006@news.verizon.net>, eponymous cowherd <no@spam4me.com> wrote: > >Some people have been talking about Apple someday releasing a true video >iPod. Does true mean anything more than a wider screen? What does "true video" mean for you? Rumors have suggested that this wider screen would be achieved by having the controls available via touch on the screen itself. I wonder if in the more distant futur...

How to convert dvd, video, flash and youtube video to iPod Video MP4?
The article includes six parts. Part 1: Rip DVD movie to iPod (Windows) Part 2: Convert AVI, WMV, MPEG, RM, RMVB, ASF, MOV, DivX, XviD, MPG to iPod MP4 or H264 format (Windows) Part 3: Rip DVD movie to iPod (Mac) Part 4: Convert AVI, WMV, MPEG, RM, RMVB, ASF, MOV, DivX, XviD, MPG to iPod MP4 or H264 format (Mac) Part 5: Convert flash, swf to iPod (Windows) Part 6: Convert youtube video to iPod (Windows) It is easy-to-use and the converting speed is fast! After testing, all formats to iPod conversion works well, the output audio and image quality is excellent! Let&#...

How to convert dvd, video, flash and youtube video to iPod Video MP4?
The article includes six parts. Part 1: Rip DVD movie to iPod (Windows) Part 2: Convert AVI, WMV, MPEG, RM, RMVB, ASF, MOV, DivX, XviD, MPG to iPod MP4 or H264 format (Windows) Part 3: Rip DVD movie to iPod (Mac) Part 4: Convert AVI, WMV, MPEG, RM, RMVB, ASF, MOV, DivX, XviD, MPG to iPod MP4 or H264 format (Mac) Part 5: Convert flash, swf to iPod (Windows) Part 6: Convert youtube video to iPod (Windows) It is easy-to-use and the converting speed is fast! After testing, all formats to iPod conversion works well, the output audio and image quality is excellent! Let&#...

iPod video.. How do you get video on it?
I downloaded some h.264 content from apples web pages. http://www.apple.com/quicktime/guide/hd/bbc-andes.html I opened it in Quicktime 7 Pro and saved it to disk. I think I need to move this to iTunes then sync my iPod So: 1) How do I get this .mov file into iTunes (I suppose under video) 2) The next time I connect up the iPod 5g I suppose it will sync up and transfer the video. My ultimate goal is to connect this iPod to my HDTV and play 1080i H.264 compressed video from this device. KraftDiner <bobrien18@yahoo.com> wrote: > I downloaded some h.264 content from apples web pag...

Video iPod
Is there any way to prevent the video output from timing out? When I connect the video iPod to a video projector for presentations, I only get a minute or so before the iPod times out. I only want to display still images, not videos. The only timer setting I ran across is the backlight for videos when viewing on the built in screen. Thank you for your help, ~ Lori ...

Finding Videos Formatted For The iPod Video
Sorry if this is the wrong thread to post in, but I couldn't figure out anywhere better. I'm trying to find a good place to download movies for my iPod video. BitTorrent traffic is being "shaped" by my ISP, which basically means it's not working at all anymore for me. Any advice? Thanks! Mark Bennett <runningboy311@msn.com> wrote: > I'm trying to find a good place to download movies > for my iPod video. This will get you started... <http://emol.org/movies/> or you could just use google... <http://www.google.ie/sea...

The Best Video Converter for Mac OS X
Aimersoft Studio now released a most powerful Mac Video Converter for you to convert, edit, trim, crop and join videos on Mac OS X (Leopard supported). Aimersoft Mac Video Converter can easily finish the conversion such as convert MPEG to AVI; convert AVI to MP4, so you need not to look for any single Mac AVI Converter or Mac MP4 Converter. And it's also the optimal Mac Video Converter for portable players. With this super Mac Video Converter, you can easily convert your favorite videos for iPhone, iPod, Zune, PSP and other players on Mac OS X. Here are some key features about...

Cool Video to iPod/MP4/3GP/PSP Converter-----Convert all video formats to iPod/MP4/3GP/PSP
Convert all video formats to iPod/MP4/3GP/PSP Stockholm, Sweden. - Feb, 7th, 2007 -Coolsoft (Sweden) AB today announced that Cool Video to iPod/MP4/3GP/PSP Converter is available as a free download and trial. Cool Video to iPod/MP4/3GP/PSP Converter is a program for converting all video formats to iPod/MP4/3GP/PSP Cool Video to iPod/MP4/3GP/PSP Converter is a software for MP4/3GP file conversion of portable video device such as iPod, PSP, Cellphone, PDA, Pocket PC, etc. It supports nearly all video formats including the following: DivX, XviD, MOV, RM, RMVB, MPEG, VOB, VCD, DVD, SVC...

Video iPod
Hi, Is there any way to prevent the video output jack from timing out? When I connect the video iPod's special audio/video connector to a video projector for presentations, I only get a minute or so before the iPod times out. I only want to display still images, not videos. The only timer setting I ran across is the backlight for videos when viewing on the built in screen. Thank you for your help, ~ Lori ...

Video forum, video discussion board, discuss video
http://vforum.com Any video related questions will be answered at VForum.com. You will be helped by experts fast and completely for free. -- questo articolo e` stato inviato via web dal servizio gratuito http://www.newsland.it/news segnala gli abusi ad abuse@newsland.it ...

Ipod video converter for mac???
Any recomendations for a program that will allow me to convert DVDs to video thatll play on an ipod video ( a mac program that is)??? Hope you guys can help, you always do. Thanks-Jonathan On 2007-04-06 21:57:31 -0500, JonathanMichaelCosgrove@gmail.com said: > Any recomendations for a program that will allow me to convert DVDs to > video thatll play on an ipod video ( a mac program that is)??? Hope > you guys can help, you always do. Thanks-Jonathan Handbrake is my favorite, by far: <http://handbrake.m0k.org/> -- JR On 2007-04-06 21:57:31 -0500, JonathanMichaelCosgrove...

Video iPod
Hi, Is there any way to prevent the video output jack from timing out? When I connect the video iPod's special audio/video connector to a video projector for presentations, I only get a minute or so before the iPod times out. I only want to display still images, not videos. The only timer setting I ran across is the backlight for videos when viewing on the built in screen. Thank you for your help, ~ Lori ...

No S-Video and Composite Video Cable Adapters From Apple?
Hello. Is it me or does Apple's http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/mac_accessories/cables/cable_chooser not carry any video cable adapters that go to S-Video and composite inputs (an old Pasasonic projector TV from Y2K) from MacBook Pros (2008 and 2012 models)? Thank you in advance. :) -- Quote of the Week: "May 10,000 ants never invade your underwear drawer." --unknown /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site) / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net | |o o| | \ _ / P...

Web resources about - Video cable for iPod Video? - comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc

Video - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For films or movies, see Film . For other uses, see Video (disambiguation) . developed for cathode ray tube (CRT) television systems, but several ...

Video Of The Week: My Partner Albert At DLD
My partner Albert talked about the future of work at the DLD conference last week. Here’s the video of it.

Amazing video footage of the third rocket landing in history
On Jan. 22 Bue Origin — the spaceflight company owned and founded by billionaire entrepreneur Jeff Bezos — landed its reusable rocket, named ...

Nine killed in icy crashes throughout the South - Videos - CBS News
The monster storm moving east first slammed parts of the South with snow and ice, causing major problems on the roads, stranding hundreds and ...

Georgetown Hoyas Articles, Photos, and Videos - Hartford Courant
News, Photos and Information about Georgetown Hoyas

Video: Trump Says He Could Shoot Someone And Not Lose Any Voters
Here's the sad part of this video: It's likely true. Trump voters are so energized by his vision of totalitarian America that they would find ...

Siri’s crazy math skills make for a killer bass beat in epic video rap
... Siri do: multiply one trillion to the tenth power to lay down a hypnotic background beat for a bunch of cool kids to rap to. The original video ...

First Look At ‘Frank & Lola’ Starring Michael Shannon & Imogen Poots — Sundance Video
EXCLUSIVE: Michael Shannon plays Frank, an ambitious Las Vegas chef. One night he meets Lola ( Imogen Poots ), an enigmatic woman, and they hit ...

Apple Loop: New iPhone 7 Leak Video, Apple Ignores Old Bugs, Mini iPhone Fights Galaxy S7
This week’s Apple Loop includes a video of all the latest iPhone 7 leaks, the battery issues in iOS 9.2, the enterprise fixes in iOS 9.2.1, the ...

Here's a Video of Hillary Clinton Laughing in the Face of Transparency
Presidential candidate and professional evader Hillary Clinton has truly perfected the smile-and-turn, a political maneuver often used, but seldom ...