Which game controller is best for Mac?

Hi. I have a handful of Mac games, but I don't like to play them
because I hate using the keyboard to control them. I'm now thinking of
buying a game controller. Which type is better to use on a Mac: a
Playstation controller or an XBox controller? I don't own either
console so I've never tried either type.

Thanks.

Sky

0
Skylamar
5/11/2014 6:07:27 AM
comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc 4192 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

In message <2014051023072712301-nothingtoseehere@movealongnet>
  Skylamar <nothingtoseehere@movealong.net> wrote:
> Hi. I have a handful of Mac games, but I don't like to play them
> because I hate using the keyboard to control them. I'm now thinking of
> buying a game controller. Which type is better to use on a Mac: a
> Playstation controller or an XBox controller? I don't own either
> console so I've never tried either type.

I doubt a Play Station or XBox controller will work with a Mac.

I'd also suspect that the specific games you want to play will make a
difference.

--
Women like silent men, they think they're listening.
0
On 2014-05-11, Skylamar <nothingtoseehere@movealong.net> wrote:
> Hi. I have a handful of Mac games, but I don't like to play them
> because I hate using the keyboard to control them. I'm now thinking of
> buying a game controller. Which type is better to use on a Mac: a
> Playstation controller or an XBox controller? I don't own either
> console so I've never tried either type.

The keyboard and mouse arguably already *are* the best controllers.

JR
0
Jolly
5/11/2014 3:33:21 PM
On 2014-05-11 15:19:59 +0000, Lewis said:

> I doubt a Play Station or XBox controller will work with a Mac.
>
> I'd also suspect that the specific games you want to play will make a
> difference.

Supposedly they both can work with a Mac and that OS 10.9, and maybe
earlier versions, don't need a special driver for a PS3 controller.

0
Skylamar
5/11/2014 9:22:20 PM
On 2014-05-11 15:33:21 +0000, Jolly Roger said:

> The keyboard and mouse arguably already *are* the best controllers.

I would argue that they aren't the best controllers. I find it hard to
use the arrow keys for controlling an on-screen character.

0
Skylamar
5/11/2014 9:23:12 PM
In article <2014051114222024185-nothingtoseehere@movealongnet>,
Skylamar <nothingtoseehere@movealong.net> wrote:
> On 2014-05-11 15:19:59 +0000, Lewis said:
> >
> > I doubt a Play Station or XBox controller will work with a Mac.
> >
> > I'd also suspect that the specific games you want to play will make a
> > difference.
>
> Supposedly they both can work with a Mac and that OS 10.9, and maybe
> earlier versions, don't need a special driver for a PS3 controller.

Many of the stores that sell the games consoles have demo machines, so
you could go in and try them (assuming you can get the kids off them)
to see which controller you prefer holding ... but there are some
Mac-specific controllers and joysticks around, plus some of the Windows
PC ones will probably work too.

It doesn't work with Mac OS X and I haven't used it in a while, but I
like my old Gravis Gamepad, partly because it has a small joystick
handle you can attach instead of having to use the silly "D-pad".
0
Your
5/11/2014 9:34:26 PM
In article <2014051114231280054-nothingtoseehere@movealongnet>,
Skylamar <nothingtoseehere@movealong.net> wrote:
> On 2014-05-11 15:33:21 +0000, Jolly Roger said:
> >
> > The keyboard and mouse arguably already *are* the best controllers.
>
> I would argue that they aren't the best controllers. I find it hard to
> use the arrow keys for controlling an on-screen character.

It depends on the game, your style of playing, etc. It also depends on
whether you've got a proper full-size keyboard with numeric pad and
separate arrow keys, or the silly little one that Apple ships as
standard.
0
Your
5/11/2014 9:37:06 PM
On 2014-05-11, Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:
> In article <2014051114231280054-nothingtoseehere@movealongnet>,
> Skylamar <nothingtoseehere@movealong.net> wrote:
>> On 2014-05-11 15:33:21 +0000, Jolly Roger said:
>> >
>> > The keyboard and mouse arguably already *are* the best controllers.
>>
>> I would argue that they aren't the best controllers. I find it hard to
>> use the arrow keys for controlling an on-screen character.
>
> It depends on the game, your style of playing, etc. It also depends on
> whether you've got a proper full-size keyboard with numeric pad and
> separate arrow keys, or the silly little one that Apple ships as
> standard.

For FPS-type games, the keyboard & mouse combination is extremely hard
to beat, because the mouse allows you to aim very precisely, with fluid
control that you simply cannot achieve with a typical gaming controller.

JR
0
Jolly

To Mac or not to Mac?

When is a Mac not a Mac?

Mac to mac

old macs were the best macs
not like the new modern day product. ordinary hardware. overheating problems. random shutdown problems. Shoddy craftsmanship / mechanical design. Just another ordinary, run of the mill, PC. Golly!! I bet they even ran faster, than the new ones do now. In <C9c0h.8111$Bs.991@bignews8.bellsouth.net> zara wrote: > not like the new modern day product. > ordinary hardware. > overheating problems. > random shutdown problems. > Shoddy craftsmanship / mechanical design. > Just another ordinary, run of the mill, PC. Golly!! I bet they even > ran faster, than the new one...

Help! iSync mac to mac

Press Release
For Immediate Release Contact: Thomas Warfield, (217) 585-1387, support@goodsol.com Best of the Best Solitaire Games for Windows and Mac Goodsol Development Inc. has released Most Popular Solitaire, an affordable collection of 30 solitaire games for people who want to enjoy the most popular card games available. Selected from the company's market-leading Pretty Good Solitaire collection of 750+ games, the new Windows and Macintosh collection includes Klondike, FreeCell, Spider, Pyramid, Scorpion, Canfield, Golf, Yukon, and many more entertaining and challenging gam...

It's a Mac, Mac, Mac World
I wonder how the Windows users would like my (ab)normal Microsoft-free world: My business: all Mac, no PCs. My dentist, family physician and urologist are all Mac. No PCs. Went to Sir Speedy today for more bus. cards and some binding: all Mac (no surprise there). My daughter's three new college room mates have emailed her. Two have PowerBooks and one has an eMac. (She has a G5 iMac.) I never even see a PC unless I am at the public library or a store using a Windows POS unit. It never was intentional. I don't scout a place to see what frickin' computer they use. Jus...

bmp-mac, mac and xmms-mac ports
Hello, I can't find these in the ports collections, so i've downloaded and compiled mac and xmms-mac successfully and have confirmed that they work on FreeBSD. I was looking for an APE (Monkey Audio) plug-in for XMMS in the ports collection but wasn't able to find one. I had a bit of trouble with compiling xmms-mac to start off with. The compilation would fail with the following: g++ -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/X11R6/include/xmms -I/usr/local/include/gtk12 -I/usr/local/include/glib12 -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -s -O3 -Wall -pedantic -DBUILD_CROSS_PLATFOR...

Best Mac gaming mouse?
I've used the MS Habu (along with USB Overdrive as it has no Mac native driver) for quite a while, and while happy... I'm not exactly overwhelmed, either. It's a very comfy mouse, precise, it's two side buttons are lie right under my thumb, it has a bare minimum of user-configurable buttons for my tastes - four (ok - for most people it has seven buttons). I'm not counting the two little round buttons topside, just behind the scrollwheel cause in OSX it's impossible to get them to not change mouse DPI as well as perform other functions (unless I'm missing something -...

MAC to MAC connectivity
Hi, As part of a design that I'm investigating, I am looking at connecting a number of FPGA based MACs to a dedicated broadcom switch chip. The difficulty with this is that to interface both chips, I need to have two closely coupled and redundant PHY . Is it possible to connect two MAC (SGMII) directly point-to-point, bypassing the PHY completely? Or is it necessary to have at least some PHY functionality, even if it is a point to point link? Kind regards, Stephen Steve wrote: > Hi, > > As part of a design that I'm investigating, I am looking at connecting > a number...

New Released Games for Mac in Mac App Store
Hi Guys, Dumadu Games had released a series of new games for Mac. Have a try and let us know how do you feel about the game. We would feel happy if you guys give a suggestion. Here goes the list of the games : Cricket Link : goo.gl/aagVZ Pop Chop Link : goo.gl/MSAu2 Twitty Link : goo.gl/sbxsk Icy Bouncy Link : goo.gl/UPG1L Thanks. ...

Mac-to-Mac VPN?
Years ago, I set up a Mac network (under OS9) with a VPN router and some software on a remote PowerBook that allowed VPN access. I'm not terribly familiar with OSX yet, but I understand that much of this functionality is now built in. Can anybody steer me in the right direction as far as hardware, software and configuration? Here's the setup I envision: - Small LAN running two Macs and a printer with a DSL connection through a router. - Remote PowerBook connected to the net varyingly with dial-up, DSL (wired), and AirPort. - Use the PowerBook to securely connect to at l...

Mac to MAc Firewire
Hey all Looking for some help. I am trying to use a 6-6pin 1394 cable to connect two iBooks together and transfer some large files. iBook 1 dual USB 'white' iBook OS 9.2 iBook 2 G4 OSx 10.2 I boot iBook 1 into 'target drive' mode and get the firewire icon dancing about the screen then connect it to iBook 2 but the drive does not appear on the desktop. I have tried all combinations of rebooting/ connecting before and after rebooting but nothing seams to work. When the firewire is plugged in the target disk makes a short noise then nothing the host does not appear to react at ...

New Released Games for Mac in Mac App Store
Hi Guys, Dumadu Games had released a series of new games for Mac. Have a try and let us know how do you feel about the game. We would feel happy if you guys give a suggestion. Here goes the list of the games : Cricket Link : goo.gl/aagVZ Pop Chop Link : goo.gl/MSAu2 Twitty Link : goo.gl/sbxsk Icy Bouncy Link : goo.gl/UPG1L Thanks. ...

Web resources about - Which game controller is best for Mac? - comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc

Hitachi HD44780 LCD controller - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The device can display ASCII characters, Japanese Kana characters, and some symbols in two 28 character lines. Using an extension driver, the ...

CES 2016: Phison previews upcoming SSD controllers
Phison may not be a household name, but they're a major player in the SSD market. Where Marvell's SSD controllers are typically sold to drive ...

Nyko Cygnus Bluetooth controller offers a quality gaming experience for a mere $24.99
... going to be at the same level as real gamepads. For Android users, one of the most common brands to check out when shopping for a good controller ...

Rocking deal on Guitar Hero Live controller bundle at Amazon
If youve been waiting for a great deal on Activisions Guitar Hero Live controller bundle , quit waiting. Today only, Jan. 14, Amazon is offering ...

Massive NES Controller Is Totally Impractical, But You’ll Want One Anyway
Coffee table-sized functional NES controllers have been around perhaps not as long as the NES itself, but for a pretty good while nonetheless. ...

Cisco fixes unauthorized access flaws in access points, wireless LAN controllers
CIO Cisco fixes unauthorized access flaws in access points, wireless LAN controllers CIO 20151005 cisco headquarters sign A sign at Cisco ...

Cisco fixes access flaws in access points, wireless LAN controllers
Cisco Systems released critical security updates for several products, including access points and wireless LAN controllers, to fix vulnerabilities ...

The reborn NES controller proves even classics can be improved
... has come a long, long way since the ‘80s, but the simplicity and familiarity of the good old days still resonates. The NES30 Bluetooth controller ...

Make sweet, sweet, screeching music with the Steam Controller
... awful to make neat music. People have managed to get a tune out of disc drives , dot matrix printers , both together , and now the Steam Controller’s ...

Oculus Rift pre-orders get you in line for Touch controllers
Did all of the recent Oculus news make your heart skip a beat? Well here's another bit to make your blood pump go pitter-patter: Should you pre-order ...