Can't have both encrypted Mac's HFS+ & MS W7 EE SP1's BitLocker NTFS?

Hi.

I'm having problems with my 2 MS partitions in my external USB 2 TB WD
Green HDD. I wanted to have 2 encrypted partitions (W7 EE SP1's
BitLocker NTFS and HFS[Time Machine and manual Mac files]) and an
unencrypted FAT (tried both FAT32 and exFAT). I had no problems
(mak/creat)ing them.

The problem is that Mac OS X v10.10.5 (Yosemite) thinks I have 2 FAT
drives (only 1 should exist while other is NTFS (assuming cannot be read
due to its BitLocker encryption which is fine to me)). If I connect it
to a W7 laptop/notebook, then only FAT can be seen.

I tried reformatting the encrypted BitLocker NTFS to unencrypted FAT in
Mac OS X's Disk Utility which can be seen in Mac, but W7 does't see it.
I tried letting W7's Disk Management make this unallocated partition to
a new simple volume (NTFS or exFAT -- tried both), but it said "The
operation you selected will convert the selected basic disk(s) to
dynamic disk(s). If you convert the disk(s) to dynamic, you will not be
able to stat installed operating systems from any volume on the disk(s)
(except the current boot volume). Are you sure you want to continue?" I
tried Yes and its Virtual Disk Manager said "The operation is not
supported by the object." :(

I tried deleting all partitions and told Mac OS X's Disk Utility to
recreate the 3 partitions (unencrypted HFS+ & 2 MS FAT partitions) from
scratch. Everything was fine when I checked between machines. I told W7
to format a FAT partition into NTFS with BitLocker encryption. After it
was done, I rechecked with Mac OS X. Partitions were fine (yes, I know
Mac can't read BitLocker encryptions so that partition stays hidden). I
told Mac OS X to do a very long encrypted Time Machine backup and
manually copy some files into this encrypted HFS+ partition for hours.
After that, I went back to W7 and it can't see my BitLocker partition
(unallocated)!

http://i.imgur.com/tJ5wWz6.gif and http://i.imgur.com/KBwAEct.gif and
for my 2 screen (shot/capture)s from both machine with the same external
USB HDD connected.

What's going on? Does having 2 different encrypted partitions not work
with each other? Or am I doing something wrong? :(

Thank you in advance. :)
--
Merry Christmas/Season's Greetings/:) Holidays & May The Force Be With U!
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)

On 2015-12-25 13:13, Ant wrote:
> On 12/25/2015 10:00 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
>> On 2015-12-25 12:42, Ant wrote:

>>> Eh?
>>
>> When you reply to a post, whatever content you leave from previous
>> posters should be identifiable to who wrote it.  You tend to cut out who
>> wrote what making it a pain in some cases to go read more of what that
>> poster wrote.
>>
>> Your prior reply to Paul, for example quotes what he said - but not who
>> said it.
>
> Ah OK. Sorry. I was trying to clean thing up. Don't you have threading
> to show them?

Easier to just read the name in context.

--
"But I am somehow extraordinarily lucky, for a guy with shitty luck."
               ..Harrison Ford, Rolling Stone - 2015-12-02
On 12/25/2015 10:00 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2015-12-25 12:42, Ant wrote:
>> In comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage Alan Browne
>> <alan.browne@freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote:

>>> You should leave attribution in posts.
>>
>> Eh?
>
> When you reply to a post, whatever content you leave from previous
> posters should be identifiable to who wrote it.  You tend to cut out who
> wrote what making it a pain in some cases to go read more of what that
> poster wrote.
>
> Your prior reply to Paul, for example quotes what he said - but not who
> said it.

Ah OK. Sorry. I was trying to clean thing up. Don't you have threading
to show them?
--
Merry Christmas/Season's Greetings/:) Holidays & May The Force Be With U!
this signature correctly.
  | |o   o| |
      ( )              Chop ANT from its address if e-mailing privately.
Ant
12/25/2015 1:01:01 AM
Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'm having problems with my 2 MS partitions in my external USB 2 TB WD
> Green HDD.

Why bother with that rather than simply running Windows in a virtual
machine with an associated virtual drive in the OS X file system?

JR
0
Jolly
12/25/2015 7:39:42 AM
Ant wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'm having problems with my 2 MS partitions in my external USB 2 TB WD
> Green HDD. I wanted to have 2 encrypted partitions (W7 EE SP1's
> BitLocker NTFS and HFS[Time Machine and manual Mac files]) and an
> unencrypted FAT (tried both FAT32 and exFAT). I had no problems
> (mak/creat)ing them.
>
> The problem is that Mac OS X v10.10.5 (Yosemite) thinks I have 2 FAT
> drives (only 1 should exist while other is NTFS (assuming cannot be read
> due to its BitLocker encryption which is fine to me)). If I connect it
> to a W7 laptop/notebook, then only FAT can be seen.
>
> I tried reformatting the encrypted BitLocker NTFS to unencrypted FAT in
> Mac OS X's Disk Utility which can be seen in Mac, but W7 does't see it.
> I tried letting W7's Disk Management make this unallocated partition to
> a new simple volume (NTFS or exFAT -- tried both), but it said "The
> operation you selected will convert the selected basic disk(s) to
> dynamic disk(s). If you convert the disk(s) to dynamic, you will not be
> able to stat installed operating systems from any volume on the disk(s)
> (except the current boot volume). Are you sure you want to continue?" I
> tried Yes and its Virtual Disk Manager said "The operation is not
> supported by the object." :(
>
> I tried deleting all partitions and told Mac OS X's Disk Utility to
> recreate the 3 partitions (unencrypted HFS+ & 2 MS FAT partitions) from
> scratch. Everything was fine when I checked between machines. I told W7
> to format a FAT partition into NTFS with BitLocker encryption. After it
> was done, I rechecked with Mac OS X. Partitions were fine (yes, I know
> Mac can't read BitLocker encryptions so that partition stays hidden). I
> told Mac OS X to do a very long encrypted Time Machine backup and
> manually copy some files into this encrypted HFS+ partition for hours.
> After that, I went back to W7 and it can't see my BitLocker partition
> (unallocated)!
>
> http://i.imgur.com/tJ5wWz6.gif and http://i.imgur.com/KBwAEct.gif and
> for my 2 screen (shot/capture)s from both machine with the same external
> USB HDD connected.
>
> What's going on? Does having 2 different encrypted partitions not work
> with each other? Or am I doing something wrong? :(
>
> Thank you in advance. :)

The disk in question is GPT.

It's possible that an unallocated section of the disk,
shows up as a "partition" under GPT. And that's where
two FAT come from.

I would try to apply labels to the partitions, so you
have more landmarks when you're lost. For example,
my C: partition might be "Win7" or "Win10" depending
on what I was using. And since not all display routines
actually have the ability to display the label, I also
place a zero-sized file "IM_WINXP.txt" in the root
of the partition. In that example, it allows me to unambiguously
identify the partition based on contents. I need that if
using the Kaspersky rescue CD (with AV scanner) and I want
to be absolutely sure that the E: partition it has identified,
is in fact my WinXP C: partition. By putting a single
expressively named file in the partition at the root level,
I can figure out where I am later.

Always leave bread crumbs, for later.

*******

I like the Cygwin version of disktype.

It's actually a small utility. It is available as source code.

http://disktype.sourceforge.net/

Being lazy, I don't really want to waste time building it
from source. So I try to find "pre-baked" versions.

I thought I wouldn't be able to do that on Windows,
but somehow figured out there was a Cygwin version.
I don't know which OS I ran that on (Cygwin installer),
and what I did is just kept the three necessary files for later.

    disktype.exe     146,139 bytes
    cyggcc_s-1.dll   103,975 bytes
    cygwin1.dll    3,197,390 bytes

And while you are sitting in a Command Prompt in Windows,
you can use a Linux-like syntax. For example, open an
elevated ("Run as Administrator") command prompt and type

    disktype /dev/sda

And that will cause the program to examine the MBR and
the partitions and print out their types for what
Windows Disk Management would call "Disk 0".

If you have a .dd or image file, you can get it
to read the MBR and partitions off that too.

    disktype macsda.dd

And this is the output I got, for a Macintosh disk image I have.
This is the primary drive in my G4, sporting 10.2 OS.

--- macsda.dd
Regular file, size 74.53 GiB (80026361856 bytes)
Apple partition map, 10 entries
Partition 1: 31.50 KiB (32256 bytes, 63 sectors from 1)
   Type "Apple_partition_map"
Partition 2: 28 KiB (28672 bytes, 56 sectors from 64)
   Type "Apple_Driver43"
Partition 3: 28 KiB (28672 bytes, 56 sectors from 120)
   Type "Apple_Driver43"
Partition 4: 28 KiB (28672 bytes, 56 sectors from 176)
   Type "Apple_Driver_ATA"
Partition 5: 28 KiB (28672 bytes, 56 sectors from 232)
   Type "Apple_Driver_ATA"
Partition 6: 256 KiB (262144 bytes, 512 sectors from 288)
   Type "Apple_FWDriver"
   Blank disk/medium
Partition 7: 256 KiB (262144 bytes, 512 sectors from 800)
   Type "Apple_Driver_IOKit"
   Blank disk/medium
Partition 8: 256 KiB (262144 bytes, 512 sectors from 1312)
   Type "Apple_Patches"
Partition 9: 74.53 GiB (80025423872 bytes, 156299656 sectors from 1824)
   Type "Apple_HFS"
   HFS file system
     Volume name "Macintosh HD"
     Volume size 74.53 GiB (80024608768 bytes, 65342 blocks of 1.168 MiB)
   HFS wrapper for HFS Plus
     HFS Plus file system
       Volume size 74.52 GiB (80018485248 bytes, 19535763 blocks of 4 KiB)
Partition 10: 4 KiB (4096 bytes, 8 sectors from 156301480)
   Type "Apple_Free"
   Blank disk/medium

*******

If I point it at my Windows disk, I see

    disktype /dev/sda

--- /dev/sda
Block device, size 1.819 TiB (2000398934016 bytes)
DOS/MBR partition map
Partition 1: 72.58 GiB (77934495744 bytes, 152215812 sectors from 63, bootable)
   Type 0x0C (Win95 FAT32 (LBA))
   Windows NTLDR boot loader
   FAT32 file system (hints score 5 of 5)
     Volume size 72.56 GiB (77915455488 bytes, 2377791 clusters of 32 KiB)
Partition 2: 151.0 GiB (162136719360 bytes, 316673280 sectors from 154015155)
   Type 0x07 (HPFS/NTFS)
   Windows NTLDR boot loader
   NTFS file system
     Volume size 151.0 GiB (162136718848 bytes, 316673279 sectors)
Partition 3: 241.3 GiB (259112770560 bytes, 506079630 sectors from 470688435)
   Type 0x07 (HPFS/NTFS)
   Windows NTLDR boot loader
   NTFS file system
     Volume size 241.3 GiB (259112770048 bytes, 506079629 sectors)
Partition 4: 1.365 TiB (1500291072000 bytes, 2930256000 sectors from 976768065)
   Type 0x07 (HPFS/NTFS)
   Windows NTLDR boot loader
   NTFS file system
     Volume size 1.365 TiB (1500291071488 bytes, 2930255999 sectors)

Notice I didn't get any label information. It's possible
the Linux "disktype" from Package Manager, might have managed
to display it. But I'm too lazy to disrupt things by rerunning it
right this minute.

In any case, a utility like that can give you some idea what the
partition layout looks like. And whether the unallocated area
at the end of the disk, is actually considered "FAT".

    Paul
0
Paul
12/25/2015 12:16:40 PM
> > I'm having problems with my 2 MS partitions in my external USB 2 TB WD
> > Green HDD.

> Why bother with that rather than simply running Windows in a virtual
> machine with an associated virtual drive in the OS X file system?

Because I want to share the drive between multiple physical machines.
--
Merry Christmas/Season's Greetings/:) Holidays & May The Force Be With U!
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
 / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o   o| |
   \ _ /    Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail privately. If credit-
    ( )     ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
0
ANTant
12/25/2015 4:47:41 PM
Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:
>>> I'm having problems with my 2 MS partitions in my external USB 2 TB WD
>>> Green HDD.
>
>> Why bother with that rather than simply running Windows in a virtual
>> machine with an associated virtual drive in the OS X file system?
>
> Because I want to share the drive between multiple physical machines.

Have fun with that. A virtual machine is far better for my needs.

JR
0
Jolly
12/25/2015 4:51:37 PM
> [...]

> The disk in question is GPT.

> It's possible that an unallocated section of the disk,
> shows up as a "partition" under GPT. And that's where
> two FAT come from.

> I would try to apply labels to the partitions, so you
> have more landmarks when you're lost. For example,
> my C: partition might be "Win7" or "Win10" depending
> on what I was using. And since not all display routines
> actually have the ability to display the label, I also
> place a zero-sized file "IM_WINXP.txt" in the root
> of the partition. In that example, it allows me to unambiguously
> identify the partition based on contents. I need that if
> using the Kaspersky rescue CD (with AV scanner) and I want
> to be absolutely sure that the E: partition it has identified,
> is in fact my WinXP C: partition. By putting a single
> expressively named file in the partition at the root level,

I did that with text files and volume labels since I easily get
confused. I find it weird that Mac doesn't see them from Windows. And
then the same in reversed when I make them in Mac and WIndows can't see
them.

> *******

> I like the Cygwin version of disktype.

> It's actually a small utility. It is available as source code.

> http://disktype.sourceforge.net/

> Being lazy, I don't really want to waste time building it
> from source. So I try to find "pre-baked" versions.

Where did you get those compiled binaries? I don't see them?
--
Merry Christmas/Season's Greetings/:) Holidays & May The Force Be With U!
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
 / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o   o| |
   \ _ /    Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail privately. If credit-
    ( )     ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
0
ANTant
12/25/2015 4:55:21 PM
On 2015-12-25 11:47, Ant wrote:
>>> I'm having problems with my 2 MS partitions in my external USB 2 TB WD
>>> Green HDD.
>
>> Why bother with that rather than simply running Windows in a virtual
>> machine with an associated virtual drive in the OS X file system?
>
> Because I want to share the drive between multiple physical machines.

You should leave attribution in posts.

--
"But I am somehow extraordinarily lucky, for a guy with shitty luck."
               ..Harrison Ford, Rolling Stone - 2015-12-02
0
Alan
12/25/2015 5:06:12 PM
On 2015-12-25 07:16, Paul wrote:

> I like the Cygwin version of disktype.
>
> It's actually a small utility. It is available as source code.
>
> http://disktype.sourceforge.net/

I compiled it.  Runs, but with permissions issues.  Via sudo says
"disktype: Can't open /dev/disk9: Resource busy"

--
"But I am somehow extraordinarily lucky, for a guy with shitty luck."
               ..Harrison Ford, Rolling Stone - 2015-12-02
0
Alan
12/25/2015 5:18:46 PM

> >> Why bother with that rather than simply running Windows in a virtual
> >> machine with an associated virtual drive in the OS X file system?
> >
> > Because I want to share the drive between multiple physical machines.

> You should leave attribution in posts.

Eh?
--
Merry Christmas/Season's Greetings/:) Holidays & May The Force Be With U!
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
 / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o   o| |
   \ _ /    Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail privately. If credit-
    ( )     ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
0
ANTant
12/25/2015 5:42:33 PM
On 2015-12-25 12:42, Ant wrote:

>>> Because I want to share the drive between multiple physical machines.
>
>> You should leave attribution in posts.
>
> Eh?

When you reply to a post, whatever content you leave from previous
posters should be identifiable to who wrote it.  You tend to cut out who
wrote what making it a pain in some cases to go read more of what that
poster wrote.

Your prior reply to Paul, for example quotes what he said - but not who
said it.

--
"But I am somehow extraordinarily lucky, for a guy with shitty luck."
               ..Harrison Ford, Rolling Stone - 2015-12-02
0
Alan
12/25/2015 6:00:02 PM
On 12/25/2015 10:17 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2015-12-25 13:13, Ant wrote:

>>> When you reply to a post, whatever content you leave from previous
>>> posters should be identifiable to who wrote it.  You tend to cut out who
>>> wrote what making it a pain in some cases to go read more of what that
>>> poster wrote.
>>>
>>> Your prior reply to Paul, for example quotes what he said - but not who
>>> said it.
>>
>> Ah OK. Sorry. I was trying to clean thing up. Don't you have threading
>> to show them?
>
> Easier to just read the name in context.

OK. :)
--
Merry Christmas/Season's Greetings/:) Holidays & May The Force Be With U!
this signature correctly.
  | |o   o| |
      ( )              Chop ANT from its address if e-mailing privately.
Ant
12/25/2015 6:22:46 PM
On 2015-12-25, Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:
> On 12/25/2015 10:00 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
>>
>> Your prior reply to Paul, for example quotes what he said - but not who
>> said it.
>
> Ah OK. Sorry. I was trying to clean thing up. Don't you have threading
> to show them?

That's not the point. What you are doing is considered bad etiquette.

JR
0
Jolly
12/25/2015 6:23:28 PM
On 2015-12-25 13:22, Ant wrote:
> On 12/25/2015 10:17 AM, Alan Browne wrote:

>>> Ah OK. Sorry. I was trying to clean thing up. Don't you have threading
>>> to show them?
>>
>> Easier to just read the name in context.
>
> OK. :)
Thanks.

--
"But I am somehow extraordinarily lucky, for a guy with shitty luck."
               ..Harrison Ford, Rolling Stone - 2015-12-02
0
Alan
12/25/2015 6:23:45 PM
On 12/25/2015 10:23 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2015-12-25 13:22, Ant wrote:

>>> Easier to just read the name in context.
>>
>> OK. :)
> Thanks.

:)
--
Merry Christmas/Season's Greetings/:) Holidays & May The Force Be With U!
this signature correctly.
  | |o   o| |
      ( )              Chop ANT from its address if e-mailing privately.
Ant
12/25/2015 6:36:52 PM
Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2015-12-25 07:16, Paul wrote:
>
>> I like the Cygwin version of disktype.
>>
>> It's actually a small utility. It is available as source code.
>>
>> http://disktype.sourceforge.net/
>

> I compiled it.  Runs, but with permissions issues.  Via sudo says
> "disktype: Can't open /dev/disk9: Resource busy"

It looks like that's how I got disktype for Windows.

I see I have the tarball for disktype in my Cygwin
home directory, and it was compiled there
in 2014.

It doesn't seem to have a permissions problem in Windows,
as administrator gives access to the block level interface
on the disks. So this kind of thing would work in Windows

    disktype /dev/sda

*******

"Resource busy" suggests there might be more to it than
permission issues. In this example, something needed to
be unmounted first, before the "Resource busy" went away.

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20071029100721107

HTH,
      Paul

0
Paul
12/25/2015 10:56:16 PM
In message <_aqdnX7pDonIfOHLnZ2dnUU7-S2dnZ2d@earthlink.com>
  Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:
> I'm having problems with my 2 MS partitions in my external USB 2 TB WD
> Green HDD. I wanted to have 2 encrypted partitions (W7 EE SP1's
> BitLocker NTFS and HFS[Time Machine and manual Mac files]) and an
> unencrypted FAT (tried both FAT32 and exFAT). I had no problems
> (mak/creat)ing them.

You will not have problems either if you use separate drives.

What you are trying to do is doomed to fail.

--
And, btw, my face cannot go blue because I have no face, I am not like that...
 --Dorayme, in a fit of nonsensical drivel
> > I'm having problems with my 2 MS partitions in my external USB 2 TB WD
> > Green HDD. I wanted to have 2 encrypted partitions (W7 EE SP1's
> > BitLocker NTFS and HFS[Time Machine and manual Mac files]) and an
> > unencrypted FAT (tried both FAT32 and exFAT). I had no problems
> > (mak/creat)ing them.

> You will not have problems either if you use separate drives.

> What you are trying to do is doomed to fail.

Thanks. :(
--
Quote of the Week: "Yeah, what's left of it. I was in the militia --
national guard... That's good! Wasn't any war any more than there's war
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
 / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o   o| |
   \ _ /    Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail privately. If credit-
    ( )     ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
0
ANTant
12/27/2015 1:01:01 AM
OK, I messed around with this and figured the quickest way to reproduce
this issue between platforms after playing with issue more during my
free time.

I had problems erasing everything on the HDD with Mac OS X's Disk
Utility. It wouldn't even let me its remove partitions. I had to use
Windows 7's Disk Manage to manually delete all the (partition/volume)s
except its 200 MB EFI System Partition (not changeable?). I also noticed
it cannot make multiple partitions in a single shot like in Mac OS X's
Disk Utility since I had to make a big volume, shrink, make a smaller
volume, repeat. :(

Anyways, I used Mac OS X's Disk Utility to make 3 new partitions (HFS+ &
2 (ex or not)FAT [no NTFS option]). Everything looked fine when I wrote
text files and checked on both systems. Next, I tell Mac OS X's Disk
Utility to format that HFS+ with encryption. Everything was still OK in
Mac. I go to Windows and check, and things started having problem like
not seeing a FAT partition, files, etc. It seems like Apple is messing
up the partitions.

I am going to reverse in creating partitions manually and slowly with W7
first, go to Mac's Disk Utility to format an encrypted HFS, recheck,
BitLocker encrypt a NTFS partition, and then recheck to see their
results.

TO BE CONTINUED...

--
Quote of the Week: "Yeah, what's left of it. I was in the militia --
national guard... That's good! Wasn't any war any more than there's war
between men and ants." --stranger; "And we're eat-able ants. I found
that out... What will they do with us?" --Pierson from H.G. Wells' The
War of the Worlds
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
 / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o   o| |
   \ _ /    Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail privately. If credit-
    ( )     ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
0
ANTant
12/29/2015 1:09:18 AM
With the long and hard way. I did all the tedious partitioning in W7
(only NTFS though since FAT weren't offered)) first, then go back Mac OS
X to make a partition HFS+ with its encryption. I checked both machines.
No problems so far! I told W7 to encrypt a NTFS partition with its
BitLocker that took a while (no format with encryption option like Apple
does?). I rechecked with both machines. No problems. I reformatted the
unencrypted NTFS to exFAT in Mac OS X since W7 wouldn't let me. I
rechecked both machines, and no problems.

Right now, I'm writing a lot of data to both encrypted drives which will
take a while to see how these go. So far, it seems like Mac OS X's Disk
Utility messed up my partitions when doing encryption after creating
partitions instead of having MS W7 do it slowly?

TO BE CONTINUED AGAIN... :/

--
Quote of the Week: "Yeah, what's left of it. I was in the militia --
national guard... That's good! Wasn't any war any more than there's war
between men and ants." --stranger; "And we're eat-able ants. I found
that out... What will they do with us?" --Pierson from H.G. Wells' The
War of the Worlds
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
 / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o   o| |
   \ _ /    Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail privately. If credit-
    ( )     ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
0
ANTant
12/29/2015 3:09:26 AM
So, I changed to another adapter and now 64-bit W7 EE SP1 cannot see the
partitions (wants me to format it). However, Mac OS X v10.10.5
(Yosemite) had no problems. Argh.

--
Quote of the Week: "It is not enough to be busy, so are the ants. The
question is: what are we busy about?" --Henry David Thoreau
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
 / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o   o| |
   \ _ /    Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail privately. If credit-
    ( )     ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
0
ANTant
1/30/2016 4:15:24 AM
On 29 Jan 2016, Ant wrote
(in article<rbmdnQ5Zx6JBpTHLnZ2dnUU7-Y346u6z@earthlink.com>):

> So, I changed to another adapter and now 64-bit W7 EE SP1 cannot see the
> partitions (wants me to format it). However, Mac OS X v10.10.5
> (Yosemite) had no problems. Argh.

you’re going to have problems with the partitions. Apple uses GPT, Win7
usually uses MBR. GPT systems can see MBR partitions. MBR systems can
(usually) see GPT systems which have one partition. More than one partition,
not so much. You will experience problems with GPT partitions on 32-bit Win 7
systems, and different problems on 64-bit Win 7 systems which have older
BIOSes rather than UEFI. See
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table

I suspect that your Win 7 system uses MBR. I really doubt that you’ll get
an MBR Win 7 system to see your partitions.

Frankly, if I were trying to set up an encrypted USB device which could work
on both Mac and Windows, I’d simply use NTFS and get one of the extensions
which allows OS X to read/write NTFS. There are, or used to be, several free
NTFS extensions, and there is at least one pay version, from
Paragon.http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/
Alternatively, I’d get a virtual machine (Parallels, VMWare, Virtual Box)
and put Windows in it on the OS X machine, and read the NTFS drive using
Windows. Finally, I’d try formatting the drive HFS+ and getting a HFS+
read/write extension for Windows. Paragon offers such an extension, too.
http://www.paragon-software.com/home/hfs-windows/

I used to use two of the free NTFS on Mac extensions, was dissatisfied with
the performance, bought the Paragon extension and have used it for several
years now.

I suspect that it will be difficult to impossible to put two partitions, one
HFS+ and one NTFS, on a USB device and have them be actually useable.

0
Wolffan
1/30/2016 2:50:04 PM
In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Wolffan <AKWolffan@gmail.com> wrote:
> you???re going to have problems with the partitions. Apple uses GPT, Win7
> usually uses MBR. GPT systems can see MBR partitions. MBR systems can
> (usually) see GPT systems which have one partition. More than one partition,
> not so much. You will experience problems with GPT partitions on 32-bit Win 7
> systems, and different problems on 64-bit Win 7 systems which have older
> BIOSes rather than UEFI. See
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table

> I suspect that your Win 7 system uses MBR. I really doubt that you???ll get
> an MBR Win 7 system to see your partitions.

> Frankly, if I were trying to set up an encrypted USB device which could work
> on both Mac and Windows, I???d simply use NTFS and get one of the extensions
> which allows OS X to read/write NTFS. There are, or used to be, several free
> NTFS extensions, and there is at least one pay version, from
> Paragon.http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/
> Alternatively, I???d get a virtual machine (Parallels, VMWare, Virtual Box)
> and put Windows in it on the OS X machine, and read the NTFS drive using
> Windows. Finally, I???d try formatting the drive HFS+ and getting a HFS+
> read/write extension for Windows. Paragon offers such an extension, too.
> http://www.paragon-software.com/home/hfs-windows/

> I used to use two of the free NTFS on Mac extensions, was dissatisfied with
> the performance, bought the Paragon extension and have used it for several
> years now.

> I suspect that it will be difficult to impossible to put two partitions, one
> HFS+ and one NTFS, on a USB device and have them be actually useable.

Interesting. I am surprised it is not possible to do multiple partitions
like that like with internal drives. Do Linux and Windows have this
problem too? :(
--
Quote of the Week: "It is not enough to be busy, so are the ants. The
question is: what are we busy about?" --Henry David Thoreau
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
 / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o   o| |
   \ _ /    Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail privately. If credit-
    ( )     ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
0
ANTant
1/30/2016 9:58:57 PM
> So, I changed to another adapter and now 64-bit W7 EE SP1 cannot see the
> partitions (wants me to format it). However, Mac OS X v10.10.5
> (Yosemite) had no problems. Argh.

FYI. Reusing the original adapter had no problems. Just can't use the
other ones. :/
--
Quote of the Week: "It is not enough to be busy, so are the ants. The
question is: what are we busy about?" --Henry David Thoreau
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
 / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o   o| |
   \ _ /    Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail privately. If credit-
    ( )     ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
0
ANTant
1/30/2016 10:02:45 PM
On 30 Jan 2016, Ant wrote
(in article<ssmdnbtP55q8rzDLnZ2dnUU7-LOdnZ2d@earthlink.com>):

> In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Wolffan<AKWolffan@gmail.com> wrote:
> > you???re going to have problems with the partitions. Apple uses GPT, Win7
> > usually uses MBR. GPT systems can see MBR partitions. MBR systems can
> > (usually) see GPT systems which have one partition. More than one
partition,
> > not so much. You will experience problems with GPT partitions on 32-bit Win
> > 7
> > systems, and different problems on 64-bit Win 7 systems which have older
> > BIOSes rather than UEFI. See
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table
>
> > I suspect that your Win 7 system uses MBR. I really doubt that you???ll get
> > an MBR Win 7 system to see your partitions.
>
> > Frankly, if I were trying to set up an encrypted USB device which could
work
> > on both Mac and Windows, I???d simply use NTFS and get one of the
extensions
> > which allows OS X to read/write NTFS. There are, or used to be, several
free
> > NTFS extensions, and there is at least one pay version, from
> > Paragon.http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/
> > Alternatively, I???d get a virtual machine (Parallels, VMWare, Virtual Box)
> > and put Windows in it on the OS X machine, and read the NTFS drive using
> > Windows. Finally, I???d try formatting the drive HFS+ and getting a HFS+
> > read/write extension for Windows. Paragon offers such an extension, too.
> > http://www.paragon-software.com/home/hfs-windows/
>
> > I used to use two of the free NTFS on Mac extensions, was dissatisfied with
> > the performance, bought the Paragon extension and have used it for several
> > years now.
>
> > I suspect that it will be difficult to impossible to put two partitions,
one
> > HFS+ and one NTFS, on a USB device and have them be actually useable.
>
> Interesting. I am surprised it is not possible to do multiple partitions
> like that like with internal drives. Do Linux and Windows have this
> problem too? :(

sure it’s possible to do it. You merely have to use the right partition
table. Win 7 and earlier prefers MBR. Win 7 and earlier, and all 32-bit
versions of Windows, won’t boot off GPT. You can have four bootable
partitions with MBR, 128 bootable partitions with GPT. What you can’t have
is MBR and GPT partitions on the same drive, internal or external. And you
can’t boot Win 7 off GPT, and you can’t boot an Intel Mac off MBR. Win 7
will apply MBR unless you force it not to. OS X will apply GPT unless you
force it not to. If you were using Win 8.1 or Win 10 and had the correct
hardware you could format the USB drive with GPT and it would probably work.
Not Win 7. For one thing, you are unlikely to have the correct hardware on a
Win 7 system.

If you have just one partition, either system will load it regardless of the
partition table. Internal drives very rarely have just one partition these
days. A typical Mac, for example, with have at least two: the repair
partition, which is hidden, and the main partition, which is the one you see.
If you have Boot Camp set up, you’ll have at least three partitions. All of
them will be GPT. Win 7 required hardware settings, in UEFI, to boot from a
GPT volume. Apple supplied them to Boot Camp. Without the proper UEFI
settings, Win 7 will not boot from a GPT volume and will have problems with
it. Systems which have the correct UEFI settings are almost always set up to
boot UEFI. The GPT settings are in hardware and in software, you have to have
both. if your Windows hardware does not support UEFI you are extremely
unlikely to be able to boot from a GPT volume and you are extremely likely to
have a problem accessing a GPT volume which has more than one partition.

0
Wolffan
1/31/2016 12:25:57 AM
 ANTant@zimage.com (Ant) wrote:

> In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Wolffan <AKWolffan@gmail.com> wrote:
> > you???re going to have problems with the partitions. Apple uses GPT, Win7
> > usually uses MBR. GPT systems can see MBR partitions. MBR systems can
> > (usually) see GPT systems which have one partition. More than one
> > partition,
> > not so much. You will experience problems with GPT partitions on 32-bit Win
> > 7
> > systems, and different problems on 64-bit Win 7 systems which have older
> > BIOSes rather than UEFI. See
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table
>
> > I suspect that your Win 7 system uses MBR. I really doubt that you???ll get
> > an MBR Win 7 system to see your partitions.
>
> > Frankly, if I were trying to set up an encrypted USB device which could
> > work
> > on both Mac and Windows, I???d simply use NTFS and get one of the
> > extensions
> > which allows OS X to read/write NTFS. There are, or used to be, several
> > free
> > NTFS extensions, and there is at least one pay version, from
> > Paragon.http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/
> > Alternatively, I???d get a virtual machine (Parallels, VMWare, Virtual Box)
> > and put Windows in it on the OS X machine, and read the NTFS drive using
> > Windows. Finally, I???d try formatting the drive HFS+ and getting a HFS+
> > read/write extension for Windows. Paragon offers such an extension, too.
> > http://www.paragon-software.com/home/hfs-windows/
>
> > I used to use two of the free NTFS on Mac extensions, was dissatisfied with
> > the performance, bought the Paragon extension and have used it for several
> > years now.
>
> > I suspect that it will be difficult to impossible to put two partitions,
> > one
> > HFS+ and one NTFS, on a USB device and have them be actually useable.
>
> Interesting. I am surprised it is not possible to do multiple partitions
> like that like with internal drives. Do Linux and Windows have this
> problem too? :(

Well, mostly because dealing with partitions across different OS' is
madness and because disks are cheap, I'd put each "partition" on their
own disk.  Would the Linux system be able to read/write to the NTFS
disk, yes.  But if it's encrypted, that's doubtful unless there's a
Linux version of the encryption software.  If the NTFS volume is being
encrypted by a native feature of Windows, I would tend to doubt it.

Same for Windows reading and writing Linux partition (ext3, ext4, zfs).
And AFAIK, there's no native encryption for those filesystems built into
Linux. It would have to be something added after the OS is installed.
Truecrypt (depricated May2014) was forked to become VeraCrypt.
VeraCrypt does support Windows, MacOS, and Linux and will allow you to
make encrypted volumes on those systems.  Being able to read them
natively across each other depends on how you access the volume across
the different OS'.

http://veracrypt.codeplex.com/

But doing the native version of FileVault on MacOS and BitDefender on
Windows, I doubt it, even with separate drives for each filesystem.

--
DeeDee, don't press that button!  DeeDee!  NO!  Dee...

Michael
1/31/2016 2:44:22 AM
On 1/30/2016 6:44 PM, Michael Vilain wrote:

> Well, mostly because dealing with partitions across different OS' is
> madness and because disks are cheap, I'd put each "partition" on their
> own disk.  Would the Linux system be able to read/write to the NTFS
> disk, yes.  But if it's encrypted, that's doubtful unless there's a
> Linux version of the encryption software.  If the NTFS volume is being
> encrypted by a native feature of Windows, I would tend to doubt it.
>
> Same for Windows reading and writing Linux partition (ext3, ext4, zfs).
> And AFAIK, there's no native encryption for those filesystems built into
> Linux. It would have to be something added after the OS is installed.
> Truecrypt (depricated May2014) was forked to become VeraCrypt.
> VeraCrypt does support Windows, MacOS, and Linux and will allow you to
> make encrypted volumes on those systems.  Being able to read them
> natively across each other depends on how you access the volume across
> the different OS'.
>
> http://veracrypt.codeplex.com/
>
> But doing the native version of FileVault on MacOS and BitDefender on

You meant BitLocker. ;)

> Windows, I doubt it, even with separate drives for each filesystem.

I was OK to have other OSes not see the competitors' encrypted datas
like W7's BitLocker can't see Apple's FileVault datas and Mac OS X
v10.10.5 can't see W7's BitLocker data. I just wanted to be sure that
they don't get lost when I switch between adapters and computers which I
ran into. Also, I have a third partition, FAT, so that any OSes can
access data. This is a lot more complex that I thought it would be. :/
--
"When I am at my lowest, that is when I see things the clearest. It's
hard to care about ants when you're soaring with eagles." --unknown
this signature correctly.
  | |o   o| |
      ( )              Chop ANT from its address if e-mailing privately.
Ant
1/31/2016 3:27:39 AM
Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:

> This is a lot more complex that I thought it would be. :/

As I recall, several people here told you that you could expect problems,
yet you marched on anyway.

JR
0
Jolly
1/31/2016 3:52:35 AM
Salut Ant

In article <LtmdnciJdquv4jDLnZ2dnUU7-QmdnZ2d@earthlink.com>,
 Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:

> I was OK to have other OSes not see the competitors' encrypted datas
> like W7's BitLocker can't see Apple's FileVault datas and Mac OS X
> v10.10.5 can't see W7's BitLocker data. I just wanted to be sure that
> they don't get lost when I switch between adapters and computers which I
> ran into. Also, I have a third partition, FAT, so that any OSes can
> access data. This is a lot more complex that I thought it would be. :/

to me it seems that your adapters have different capabilities.
Get some more of the adapters that work under all conditions and trash
the others.

Cheers
Andreas

--
MacAndreas Rutishauser, <http://www.MacAndreas.ch>
EDV-Dienstleistungen, Hard- und Software, Internet und Netzwerk
In alt.comp.periphs.hdd Andreas Rutishauser <andreas@macandreas.ch> wrote:

> to me it seems that your adapters have different capabilities.
> Get some more of the adapters that work under all conditions and trash
> the others.

Which adapters would that be? There are so many. Any recommendations
that I can always rely on?
--
Quote of the Week: "Even the ant has his (her) bite." --Turkish
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
 / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o   o| |
   \ _ /    Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail privately. If credit-
    ( )     ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
0
ANTant

It's on-it's off-it's on, it's off -WHY?
IS THIS THE CORRECT FORUM? Hope so. We have three computer networked at home...all with Windows XP. one of those is a laptop. Some mornings all 3 can see each other and transfer files...then mysteriously one or more will disappear. No contact....then later it's back. The laptop is the worst. Most often it won't let us in...but sometimes it will. No obvious reason. The most INFURIATING part is the message "see your administrator". Dammit Bill Gates...don't you realize that most networks are small offices without a Majestic Royal Administrator sitting his i...

Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID',
Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID', buy, risk-free purchase, working, tested, fully functional, very cheap discounted price, low cost, quality OEM software, ---------------------------------------------------------- Apple DVD Studio Pro 3 for MAC DVD-158 ROUTE66 ROUTE EUROPE 2004 MAC EDITION Image DVD-060 MOTU Audio Desk v2.0 HYBRiD SN: AD200-10T49-XYEVF CD NR 17 746 CIGRAPH FACTO...

Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID'
Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID' buy, risk-free purchase, working, tested, fully functional, very cheap discounted price, low cost, quality OEM software, ---------------------------------------------------------- Apple DVD Studio Pro 3 for MAC DVD-158 ROUTE66 ROUTE EUROPE 2004 MAC EDITION Image DVD-060 MOTU Audio Desk v2.0 HYBRiD SN: AD200-10T49-XYEVF CD NR 17 746 ...

Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2007/September/20, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID'
Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2007/September/20, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID' please send e-mail loa210@mail.gr , loa210@mailbox.gr , -------------------------------------------------------- 08/22/2007 Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.10 X86 08/14/2007 Adobe CS3 Master Collection MAC OSX UB D1 .DVD 08/09/2007 Digidesign Pro Tools V7.3 LE MAC OSX 05/11/2007 Altiverb 5.1 .MAC. .PPC. OSX 04/26/2007 VTC Macromedia D...

Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2007/September/29, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID'
Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2007/September/29, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID' please send e-mail to : loa210 'AT' mail 'DOT' gr , loa210 'AT' mailbox 'DOT' gr , www 'DOT' 20000plusdvdsandcds 'DOT' gr , ( please substitute 'AT' with '@' , and 'DOT' with '.' ) , loa210@mail.gr, loa210@mailbox.gr, www.20000plusdvdsandcds.tk ------------------------------------...

Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2007/May/19, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID'
Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2007/May/19, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID' -------------------------------------------------------- DFT Super Bundle for Apple Final Cut Pro, 4 CDs The DFT Super Bundle includes full versions of: 55mm, Digital Film Lab, Composite Suite, and zMatte. DFT Filter Bundle for Apple Final Cut Pro, 1 CD The DFT Filter Bundle includes full versions of: 55mm and Digital Film Lab. DFT Keyer Bundle for Apple Fi...

[...]

Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 19/June/2006, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID'
Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 19/June/2006, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID' GARAGE SALES, buy, risk-free purchase, working, tested, fully functional, very cheap discounted price, low cost, quality OEM software, -------------------------------------------------------- Synthogy Ivory version 1.5, 10 DVDs Concert Grand Pianos Plug-in for AU, VST and RTAS Mac/PC Abvent Artlantis v4.5 Mac 1CD Abvent.PhotoCAD.v1.0.MacOSX ACD.Systems.Canvas.X.0....

Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2006/December/03, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID'
Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2006/December/03, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID' -------------------------------------------------------- DFT Super Bundle for Apple Final Cut Pro, 4 CDs The DFT Super Bundle includes full versions of: 55mm, Digital Film Lab, Composite Suite, and zMatte. DFT Filter Bundle for Apple Final Cut Pro, 1 CD The DFT Filter Bundle includes full versions of: 55mm and Digital Film Lab. DFT Keyer Bundle for App...

[...]

Web resources about - Can't have both encrypted Mac's HFS+ & MS W7 EE SP1's BitLocker NTFS? - comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage