DiskWarrior and other good disk utilities under Mac OS X 10.5.8?

Hello all.

What are good disk utilities to use under Mac OS X for problematic HDDs?
It seems like Mac OS X's provided Disk Utilities are limited with
surface scan, SMART stuff, etc. I was told DiskWarrior is very good. Is
that true?

Thank you in advance. :)
--
"It is not enough to be industrious; so are the ants. What are you
industrious about?" --Henry David Thoreau

Ant wrote

> Hello all.

All hanged himself. He got too many posts...

> What are good disk utilities to use under Mac OS X for problematic HDDs?

smartctl

> It seems like Mac OS X's provided Disk Utilities are limited with surface scan, SMART stuff, etc.

You dont need anything otheer than 'SMART stuff'

> I was told DiskWarrior is very good. Is that true?

Nope.

> Thank you in advance. :)

Stop smirking. This is no laughing matter, boy.

0
Rod
10/17/2011 8:35:38 AM
On 10/17/2011 1:35 AM PT, Rod Speed typed:

> All hanged himself. He got too many posts...

So?

>> What are good disk utilities to use under Mac OS X for problematic HDDs?
>
> smartctl

I tried to find a precompiled binary, but it seems like only Fink is the
only option which I want to avoid. I just want to download and run
without compiling, requiring other packages, etc.

>> It seems like Mac OS X's provided Disk Utilities are limited with surface scan, SMART stuff, etc.
>
> You dont need anything otheer than 'SMART stuff'

Even to fix HFS problems? I seem to have problems with its /net
folder/directory that hang when doing "ls -all", running ClamXscan,
deleting, etc. in it. Mac OS X 10.5.8's Disk Utilities couldn't fix it.
I could rename/move it easily though. I ran fsck in single mode that
found and fixed the problems. Then, the next thing again but with a
folder/directory (one missing) and again with /net. I am trying to
figure out if this 3+ years old HDD is going bad or not.

http://pastebin.ca/2090526 for its fsck log.

>> I was told DiskWarrior is very good. Is that true?
>
> Nope.

OK.

>> Thank you in advance. :)
>
> Stop smirking. This is no laughing matter, boy.

I am not a boy or a human! :P
--
"Ah. Those club kids did eat those ants up like popcorn." --CSI: Miami
(Wannabe episode; #218)

Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:

> What are good disk utilities to use under Mac OS X for problematic HDDs?
> It seems like Mac OS X's provided Disk Utilities are limited with
> surface scan, SMART stuff, etc. I was told DiskWarrior is very good. Is
> that true?

DiskWarrior is a one trick pony, but it does that one trick very well.
Its only function is to rebuild the directory on a drive, and optimize
it in the process. In that respect it can do a better job than Disk
Utility's "Repair Disk" feature, which refuses to fix complex problems
(or the command line "fsck" tool, which is the same thing as a Disk
Utilty "Repair Disk").

A nice feature of DiskWarrior is that it can mount a read-only copy of
the repaired volume so you can examine it before committing the changes
to disk.

DiskWarrior does very little to help with physical drive defects. It
will warn you about a suspected faulty drive if it is taking too long to
read during its analysis, but it does not have an explicit surface scan.

If I think a drive has bad sectors, I've used TechTool Pro to do a
surface scan. Version 5 or later can apparently report which file is
using a sector which it discovers to be bad, but I've never seen that as
I haven't found any bad sectors since I got version 5.

TechTool Pro can also repair directories, but I have never tried that
function as I'd always prefer DiskWarrior due to its nondestructive
trial repair.

--
David Empson
dempson@actrix.gen.nz
 Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> What are good disk utilities to use under Mac OS X for problematic HDDs?
> It seems like Mac OS X's provided Disk Utilities are limited with
> surface scan, SMART stuff, etc. I was told DiskWarrior is very good. Is
> that true?
>
> Thank you in advance. :)

I personally don't see the point in spending the money on such
additional disk repair utilities, when restoring from backup is so easy
and fast.

JR
0
Jolly
10/17/2011 12:26:08 PM
Ant wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> Ant wrote

>>> Hello all.

>> All hanged himself. He got too many posts...

> So?

So there isnt any point in greeting his corpse, stupid.

Its too dead to notice now.

>>> What are good disk utilities to use under Mac OS X for problematic HDDs?

>> smartctl

> I tried to find a precompiled binary, but it seems like only Fink is the only option which I want to avoid. I just
> want to download and run without compiling, requiring other packages, etc.

Havent tried that, should be feasible tho.

>>> It seems like Mac OS X's provided Disk Utilities are limited with surface scan, SMART stuff, etc.

>> You dont need anything otheer than 'SMART stuff'

> Even to fix HFS problems? I seem to have problems with its /net
> folder/directory that hang when doing "ls -all", running ClamXscan,
> deleting, etc. in it. Mac OS X 10.5.8's Disk Utilities couldn't fix it.

OK, I assumed you were talking about the hardware, not the file structures.

> I could rename/move it easily though. I ran fsck in single mode
> that found and fixed the problems. Then, the next thing again but
> with a folder/directory (one missing) and again with /net. I am
> trying to figure out if this 3+ years old HDD is going bad or not.

smartctl will tell you if it is or not.

> http://pastebin.ca/2090526 for its fsck log.

>>> I was told DiskWarrior is very good. Is that true?

>> Nope.

That was a comment about physical hard drives, not file structures.

> OK.

>>> Thank you in advance. :)

>> Stop smirking. This is no laughing matter, boy.

> I am not a boy or a human! :P

Just another of your pathetic little drug crazed fantasys, boy.

0
Rod
10/17/2011 6:06:36 PM
Ant wrote:
> What are good disk utilities to use under Mac OS X for problematic HDDs=
?=20
> It seems like Mac OS X's provided Disk Utilities are limited with=20
> surface scan, SMART stuff, etc. I was told DiskWarrior is very good. Is=
=20
> that true?

As you write in the subject. - DiskWarrior ver. 4.2 or newer is the best =

tool to fix problems with the HDs. If it's data recovery alone,=20
DataRescue 3 from ProSoft is the best tool.

http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue.php

Cheers, Erik Richard

--=20
Erik Richard S=F8rensen, Member of ADC, <mac-manNOSP@Mstofanet.dk>
NisusWriter - The Future In Multilingual Text Processing - www.nisus.com
OpenOffice.org - The Modern Productivity Solution - www.openoffice.org
ISO
10/17/2011 9:40:43 PM
In article <4e9ca0db$0$287$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>,
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Erik_Richard_S=F8rensen?= <tulle@tulle.dk> wrote:

> Ant wrote:
> > What are good disk utilities to use under Mac OS X for problematic HDDs=
> ?=20
> > It seems like Mac OS X's provided Disk Utilities are limited with=20
> > surface scan, SMART stuff, etc. I was told DiskWarrior is very good. Is=
> =20
> > that true?
>
> As you write in the subject. - DiskWarrior ver. 4.2 or newer is the best =
>
> tool to fix problems with the HDs. If it's data recovery alone,=20
> DataRescue 3 from ProSoft is the best tool.
>
> http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue.php
>
> Cheers, Erik Richard

Whatever you use, you need to make sure you have the version designed for
the version of Mac OS X you're using. Trying to recover files / fix a disk
with an older version of the utility software on a newer version of Mac OS
X can cause even more problems.
0
yourname
10/18/2011 12:17:37 AM
On Oct 17, 5:17=A0pm, yourn...@yourisp.com (Your Name) wrote:

> Whatever you use, you need to make sure you have the version designed for
> the version of Mac OS X you're using. Trying to recover files / fix a dis=
> with an older version of the utility software on a newer version of Mac O=
> X can cause even more problems.

Ah, then it would be Mac OS X 10.5.8. I'd assume newer disk utility
versions would be backward compatible with older Mac OS X versions.
0
Ant
10/18/2011 1:37:27 AM
In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ant wrote
> > Rod Speed wrote
> >> Ant wrote

> >> All hanged himself. He got too many posts...

> > So?

> So there isnt any point in greeting his corpse, stupid.

> Its too dead to notice now.

So I am a zombie?

> >> smartctl

> > I tried to find a precompiled binary, but it seems like only Fink is the only option which I want to avoid. I just
> > want to download and run without compiling, requiring other packages, etc.

> Havent tried that, should be feasible tho.

I am surprised there isn't a binary native Mac version of smartctl to
download and run.

> >> You dont need anything otheer than 'SMART stuff'

> > Even to fix HFS problems? I seem to have problems with its /net
> > folder/directory that hang when doing "ls -all", running ClamXscan,
> > deleting, etc. in it. Mac OS X 10.5.8's Disk Utilities couldn't fix it.

> OK, I assumed you were talking about the hardware, not the file structures.

Well, I am not sure. Maybe the hardware is failing to make Disk
Utilities find problems and sometimes unable to fix them.

> > I could rename/move it easily though. I ran fsck in single mode
> > that found and fixed the problems. Then, the next thing again but
> > with a folder/directory (one missing) and again with /net. I am
> > trying to figure out if this 3+ years old HDD is going bad or not.

> smartctl will tell you if it is or not.

> > http://pastebin.ca/2090526 for its fsck log.

> >> Nope.

> That was a comment about physical hard drives, not file structures.

> > OK.

> >> Stop smirking. This is no laughing matter, boy.

> > I am not a boy or a human! :P

> Just another of your pathetic little drug crazed fantasys, boy.

Again, not a boy but a worker ant (females). :P
--
Quote of the Week: "Where there is sugar, there are bound to be ants." --Malay Proverb
  /\___/\         Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
Your Name wrote:
> Erik Richard S=F8rensen wrote:
>> Ant wrote:
>>> What are good disk utilities to use under Mac OS X for
>>> problematic HDDs.
>>> It seems like Mac OS X's provided Disk Utilities are
>>> limited with surface scan, SMART stuff, etc. I was told
>>> DiskWarrior is very good. Is that true?
>>
>> As you write in the subject. - DiskWarrior ver. 4.2 or newer
>> is the best tool to fix problems with the HDs. If it's data
>> recovery alone, DataRescue 3 from ProSoft is the best tool.
>>
>> http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue.php
>=20
> Whatever you use, you need to make sure you have the version designed f=
or
> the version of Mac OS X you're using. Trying to recover files / fix a d=
isk
> with an older version of the utility software on a newer version of Mac=
 OS
> X can cause even more problems.

DiskWarrior 4.2 can be used with any system prior to and included 10.5.x.=

Diskwarrior 4.3 can be used with any system prior to and included 10.6.x.=

- I haven't looked for any updates to 10.7, since I donot use that piece =

of software on any machine and probably never will. - You can even use=20
DW 4.2.x on machines running 10.4 with classic envirement installed...

Latest version of DataRescue 3 is usable with any system up to and=20
included 10.7.x.

Cheers, Erik Richard

--=20
Erik Richard S=F8rensen, Member of ADC, <mac-manNOSP@Mstofanet.dk>
NisusWriter - The Future In Multilingual Text Processing - www.nisus.com
OpenOffice.org - The Modern Productivity Solution - www.openoffice.org
ISO
10/18/2011 2:36:24 AM
Ant wrote:
> On Oct 17, 5:17 pm, yourn...@yourisp.com (Your Name) wrote:
>> Whatever you use, you need to make sure you have the version designed =
for
>> the version of Mac OS X you're using. Trying to recover files / fix a =
disk
>> with an older version of the utility software on a newer version of Ma=
c OS
>> X can cause even more problems.
>=20
> Ah, then it would be Mac OS X 10.5.8. I'd assume newer disk utility
> versions would be backward compatible with older Mac OS X versions.

Indeed they are!

Cheers, Erik Richard

--=20
Erik Richard S=F8rensen, Member of ADC, <mac-manNOSP@Mstofanet.dk>
NisusWriter - The Future In Multilingual Text Processing - www.nisus.com
OpenOffice.org - The Modern Productivity Solution - www.openoffice.org
ISO
10/18/2011 2:38:01 AM
In article <9uidnY9EWcskcwbTnZ2dnUVZ_vGdnZ2d@earthlink.com>,
 Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:

> On 10/17/2011 1:35 AM PT, Rod Speed typed:
>
> > All hanged himself. He got too many posts...
>
> So?
>

> >> What are good disk utilities to use under Mac OS X for problematic HDDs?
> >
> > smartctl
>
> I tried to find a precompiled binary, but it seems like only Fink is the
> only option which I want to avoid. I just want to download and run
> without compiling, requiring other packages, etc.
>

> >> It seems like Mac OS X's provided Disk Utilities are limited with surface
> >> scan, SMART stuff, etc.
> >
> > You dont need anything otheer than 'SMART stuff'
>
> Even to fix HFS problems? I seem to have problems with its /net
> folder/directory that hang when doing "ls -all", running ClamXscan,
> deleting, etc. in it. Mac OS X 10.5.8's Disk Utilities couldn't fix it.
> I could rename/move it easily though. I ran fsck in single mode that
> found and fixed the problems. Then, the next thing again but with a
> folder/directory (one missing) and again with /net. I am trying to
> figure out if this 3+ years old HDD is going bad or not.
>
> http://pastebin.ca/2090526 for its fsck log.

That looks like HFS+ corruption that I regularly saw before 10.6.
Several people will chime in with "works for me" but I had it happen
regularly on three different machines having heavy concurrent filesystem
usage.  One was bare-bones with nothing at all to cause conflicts.

I don't know of a fix except upgrading to at least 10.6 or running fsck
monthly to keep damage to a minimum.

A failing disk, if that's the problem, should generate warnings in
kernel.log.

> >> I was told DiskWarrior is very good. Is that true?
> >
> > Nope.
>
> OK.
>

> >> Thank you in advance. :)
> >
> > Stop smirking. This is no laughing matter, boy.
>
> I am not a boy or a human! :P
Kevin
10/18/2011 2:50:34 AM
In article <4e9ce689$0$294$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>,
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Erik_Richard_S=F8rensen?= <tulle@tulle.dk> wrote:
> Ant wrote:
> > On Oct 17, 5:17 pm, yourn...@yourisp.com (Your Name) wrote:
> >>
> >> Whatever you use, you need to make sure you have the version designed
> >> for the version of Mac OS X you're using. Trying to recover files /
> >> fix a disk with an older version of the utility software on a newer
> >> version of Mac OS X can cause even more problems.
> >
> > Ah, then it would be Mac OS X 10.5.8. I'd assume newer disk utility
> > versions would be backward compatible with older Mac OS X versions.
>
> Indeed they are!

They should be (within reason), and usually they are, but always best to
check the specs before using / buying it.
0
yourname
10/18/2011 3:15:35 AM
In article <4e9ce689$0$294$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>,
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Erik_Richard_S=F8rensen?= <tulle@tulle.dk> wrote:
> Ant wrote:
> > On Oct 17, 5:17 pm, yourn...@yourisp.com (Your Name) wrote:
> >>
> >> Whatever you use, you need to make sure you have the version designed
> >> for the version of Mac OS X you're using. Trying to recover files /
> >> fix a disk with an older version of the utility software on a newer
> >> version of Mac OS X can cause even more problems.
> >
> > Ah, then it would be Mac OS X 10.5.8. I'd assume newer disk utility
> > versions would be backward compatible with older Mac OS X versions.
>
> Indeed they are!

They should be (within reason), and usually they are, but always best to
check the specs before using / buying it ... and remember to update it to
get the latest bug fixes.
0
yourname
10/18/2011 3:16:02 AM
Ant wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote
>> Ant wrote
>>> Rod Speed wrote

>>> So?

>> So there isnt any point in greeting his corpse, stupid.

>> Its too dead to notice now.

> So I am a zombie?

Nope, just a drug crazed cripple that talks to corpses.

You into necrophilia too ?

>>> I tried to find a precompiled binary, but it seems like only Fink
>>> is the only option which I want to avoid. I just want to download
>>> and run without compiling, requiring other packages, etc.

>> Havent tried that, should be feasible tho.

> I am surprised there isn't a binary native Mac version of smartctl to download and run.

Presumably the normal one works fine.

>>> Even to fix HFS problems? I seem to have problems with its /net
>>> folder/directory that hang when doing "ls -all", running ClamXscan,
>>> deleting, etc. in it. Mac OS X 10.5.8's Disk Utilities couldn't fix it.

>> OK, I assumed you were talking about the hardware, not the file structures.

> Well, I am not sure. Maybe the hardware is failing to make
> Disk Utilities find problems and sometimes unable to fix them.

You can just put the hard drive in something else and check its smart stats that way.

>>> I could rename/move it easily though. I ran fsck in single mode
>>> that found and fixed the problems. Then, the next thing again but
>>> with a folder/directory (one missing) and again with /net. I am
>>> trying to figure out if this 3+ years old HDD is going bad or not.

>> smartctl will tell you if it is or not.

>>> http://pastebin.ca/2090526 for its fsck log.

>> That was a comment about physical hard drives, not file structures.

>>> OK.

>>> I am not a boy or a human! :P

>> Just another of your pathetic little drug crazed fantasys, boy.

> Again, not a boy but a worker ant (females). :P

Just another of your pathetic little drug crazed fantasys.

0
Rod
10/18/2011 4:03:26 AM

> >> So there isnt any point in greeting his corpse, stupid.

> >> Its too dead to notice now.

> > So I am a zombie?

> Nope, just a drug crazed cripple that talks to corpses.

So, you're a corpse? I don't take drugs. "Drugs are bad, mmkay?" "Just
say no to drugs."

> You into necrophilia too ?

Nope.

> >> Havent tried that, should be feasible tho.

> > I am surprised there isn't a binary native Mac version of smartctl to download and run.

> Presumably the normal one works fine.

http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/smartmontools/wiki/Download#Installprecompiledpackage
says I have to get v5.40-x from
http://pdb.finkproject.org/pdb/package.php/smartmontools or
http://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/sysutils/smartmontools/Portfile
or http://pdb.finkproject.org/pdb/package.php/gsmartcontrol (from
http://gsmartcontrol.berlios.de/home/index.php/en/Downloads).

> >> OK, I assumed you were talking about the hardware, not the file structures.

> > Well, I am not sure. Maybe the hardware is failing to make
> > Disk Utilities find problems and sometimes unable to fix them.

> You can just put the hard drive in something else and check its smart stats that way.

Even in PCs? Don't they have to read the file systems (FS)? Mac OS X
uses HFS IIRC.

> >> smartctl will tell you if it is or not.

> >> That was a comment about physical hard drives, not file structures.

> >> Just another of your pathetic little drug crazed fantasys, boy.

> > Again, not a boy but a worker ant (females). :P

> Just another of your pathetic little drug crazed fantasys.

I don't do drugs. Well, do allergy pills count? :P
--
Quote of the Week: "Where there is sugar, there are bound to be ants." --Malay Proverb
  /\___/\         Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
 / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o   o| |
   \ _ /           Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail. If crediting,
    ( )          then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
0
ANTant
10/18/2011 6:22:42 PM
> DiskWarrior 4.2 can be used with any system prior to and included 10.5.x.
> Diskwarrior 4.3 can be used with any system prior to and included 10.6.x.

> - I haven't looked for any updates to 10.7, since I donot use that piece
> of software on any machine and probably never will. - You can even use
> DW 4.2.x on machines running 10.4 with classic envirement installed...

> Latest version of DataRescue 3 is usable with any system up to and
> included 10.7.x.

Thanks Erik! :)
--
Quote of the Week: "Where there is sugar, there are bound to be ants." --Malay Proverb
  /\___/\         Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
 / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o   o| |
   \ _ /           Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail. If crediting,
    ( )          then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
0
ANTant
10/18/2011 6:24:28 PM

>>> So I am a zombie?

>> Nope, just a drug crazed cripple that talks to corpses.

> So, you're a corpse?

Nope.

> I don't take drugs.

Corse you do. They may however be legal drugs.

> "Drugs are bad, mmkay?" "Just say no to drugs."

I just say no to that sort of mindlessly silly line instead.

>> You into necrophilia too ?

> Nope.

Corse you would say that...

>>> I am surprised there isn't a binary native Mac version of smartctl to download and run.

>> Presumably the normal one works fine.

> http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/smartmontools/wiki/Download#Installprecompiledpackage
> says I have to get v5.40-x from
> http://pdb.finkproject.org/pdb/package.php/smartmontools or
> http://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/sysutils/smartmontools/Portfile
> or http://pdb.finkproject.org/pdb/package.php/gsmartcontrol (from
> http://gsmartcontrol.berlios.de/home/index.php/en/Downloads).

Simple enough. Even you should be able to manage that.

>>> Well, I am not sure. Maybe the hardware is failing to make
>>> Disk Utilities find problems and sometimes unable to fix them.

>> You can just put the hard drive in something else and check its smart stats that way.

> Even in PCs?

Yep.

> Don't they have to read the file systems (FS)?

Nope.

> Mac OS X uses HFS IIRC.

Doesnt matter what they use when checking the SMART data.

>>> Again, not a boy but a worker ant (females). :P

>> Just another of your pathetic little drug crazed fantasys.

> I don't do drugs.

Corse you do.

> Well, do allergy pills count? :P

Yep. A Jap would at least have the decency to disembowel itself.

Dont make a mess of the carpet.

0
Rod
10/18/2011 11:57:36 PM
> > So, you're a corpse?

> Nope.

Then, what?  :P

> > I don't take drugs.

> Corse you do. They may however be legal drugs.

So, allergy pills are drugs.

> > "Drugs are bad, mmkay?" "Just say no to drugs."

> I just say no to that sort of mindlessly silly line instead.

So, you're Shia. ;)

> >> You into necrophilia too ?

> > Nope.

> Corse you would say that...

:P

> >> Presumably the normal one works fine.

> > http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/smartmontools/wiki/Download#Installprecompiledpackage
> > says I have to get v5.40-x from
> > http://pdb.finkproject.org/pdb/package.php/smartmontools or
> > http://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/sysutils/smartmontools/Portfile
> > or http://pdb.finkproject.org/pdb/package.php/gsmartcontrol (from
> > http://gsmartcontrol.berlios.de/home/index.php/en/Downloads).

> Simple enough. Even you should be able to manage that.

That's a lot of stuff to do to get smartctl. I am surprised there is no
pure native Mac OS X port of smartctl.

> >> You can just put the hard drive in something else and check its smart stats that way.

> > Even in PCs?

> Yep.

Oh wow. I didn't know that. Hmm, I wonder what I need for this MacBook
Pro's HDD. Just an enclosure (2.5" size HDD?), its cables, etc.?

> > Don't they have to read the file systems (FS)?

> Nope.

> > Mac OS X uses HFS IIRC.

> Doesnt matter what they use when checking the SMART data.

Ah OK.

> > I don't do drugs.

> Corse you do.

Prove it then.

> > Well, do allergy pills count? :P

> Yep. A Jap would at least have the decency to disembowel itself.

> Dont make a mess of the carpet.

I already make a mess everywhere. :P
--
Quote of the Week: "Where there is sugar, there are bound to be ants." --Malay Proverb
  /\___/\         Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
 / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o   o| |
   \ _ /           Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail. If crediting,
    ( )          then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
0
ANTant
10/19/2011 6:09:02 PM
> > http://pastebin.ca/2090526 for its fsck log.

> That looks like HFS+ corruption that I regularly saw before 10.6.
> Several people will chime in with "works for me" but I had it happen
> regularly on three different machines having heavy concurrent filesystem
> usage.  One was bare-bones with nothing at all to cause conflicts.

> I don't know of a fix except upgrading to at least 10.6 or running fsck
> monthly to keep damage to a minimum.

> A failing disk, if that's the problem, should generate warnings in
> kernel.log.

Isn't that the same as dmesg? If so, then I didn't see anything odd
related to disks. Maybe I should post that too later?
--
Quote of the Week: "Where there is sugar, there are bound to be ants." --Malay Proverb
  /\___/\         Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
 / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o   o| |
   \ _ /           Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail. If crediting,
    ( )          then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
0
ANTant
10/19/2011 6:10:34 PM
Ant wrote:

>>> So, you're a corpse?

>> Nope.

> Then, what?  :P

Gods gift to the net, boy. And dont you forget it.

>>> I don't take drugs.

>> Corse you do. They may however be legal drugs.

> So, allergy pills are drugs.

Corse they are.

>>> "Drugs are bad, mmkay?" "Just say no to drugs."

>> I just say no to that sort of mindlessly silly line instead.

> So, you're Shia. ;)

Guess again, boy.

>>> Nope.

>> Corse you would say that...

Stop pissing in this newsgroup, boy.

>>> http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/smartmontools/wiki/Download#Installprecompiledpackage
>>> says I have to get v5.40-x from
>>> http://pdb.finkproject.org/pdb/package.php/smartmontools or
>>> http://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/sysutils/smartmontools/Portfile
>>> or http://pdb.finkproject.org/pdb/package.php/gsmartcontrol (from
>>> http://gsmartcontrol.berlios.de/home/index.php/en/Downloads).

>> Simple enough. Even you should be able to manage that.

> That's a lot of stuff to do to get smartctl. I am surprised
> there is no pure native Mac OS X port of smartctl.

I'm not. Those silly enough to waste their money on those arent into that sort of thing.

If they were, they'd use a generic Linux system instead and save a lot of money.

>>> Even in PCs?

>> Yep.

> Oh wow. I didn't know that. Hmm, I wonder what I need for this MacBook
> Pro's HDD. Just an enclosure (2.5" size HDD?), its cables, etc.?

Not even an enclosure. You can get just the cable that goes onto the drive and
plugs into a PC at the other end with the drive loose on the desktop, for peanuts.

>>> Don't they have to read the file systems (FS)?

>> Nope.

>>> Mac OS X uses HFS IIRC.

>> Doesnt matter what they use when checking the SMART data.

> Ah OK.

>>> I don't do drugs.

>> Corse you do.

> Prove it then.

You already did.

>>> Well, do allergy pills count? :P

>> Yep. A Jap would at least have the decency to disembowel itself.

>> Dont make a mess of the carpet.

> I already make a mess everywhere. :P

Yeah, we noticed, even P-ing in here.

Clean it up, boy or we will rub you nose in it like we do when toilet training puppys.

0
Rod
10/19/2011 6:25:30 PM
> Guess again, boy.

I am not Pip. :P

> >> Corse you would say that...

> Stop pissing in this newsgroup, boy.

You first. :P

Ah OK. So, something like http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000J01I1G/ ?

> >> Nope.

> >> Doesnt matter what they use when checking the SMART data.

> > Ah OK.

> >> Corse you do.

> > Prove it then.

> You already did.

Prove it again.

> >> Yep. A Jap would at least have the decency to disembowel itself.

> >> Dont make a mess of the carpet.

> > I already make a mess everywhere. :P

> Yeah, we noticed, even P-ing in here.

:P

> Clean it up, boy or we will rub you nose in it like we do when toilet training puppys.

"Go ahead and make my day." :P
--
Quote of the Week: "Where there is sugar, there are bound to be ants." --Malay Proverb
  /\___/\         Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
 / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o   o| |
   \ _ /           Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail. If crediting,
    ( )          then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
0
ANTant
10/20/2011 7:44:25 PM
Ant wrote:

>>> That's a lot of stuff to do to get smartctl. I am surprised
>>> there is no pure native Mac OS X port of smartctl.
>
>> I'm not. Those silly enough to waste their money on those arent into
>> that sort of thing.
>
>> If they were, they'd use a generic Linux system instead and save a
>> lot of money.

>>> Oh wow. I didn't know that. Hmm, I wonder what I need for this
>>> MacBook Pro's HDD. Just an enclosure (2.5" size HDD?), its cables,
>>> etc.?
>
>> Not even an enclosure. You can get just the cable that goes onto the
>> drive and
>> plugs into a PC at the other end with the drive loose on the
>> desktop, for peanuts.
>
> Ah OK. So, something like
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000J01I1G/ ?

Yep.

0
Rod
10/20/2011 9:01:13 PM
In Apple forum, someone told me to try free
http://www.corecode.at/smartreporter/ (uses SMARTctl) [finally!].

smartctl 5.41 2011-04-06 r3314 [i386-apple-darwin9.8.0] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-11 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Family:     Hitachi Travelstar 5K250
Device Model:     Hitachi HTS542520K9SA00
Serial Number:    080729BB2D10[deleted part of it]
LU WWN Device Id: 5 000cca 532c8fe94
Firmware Version: BBDAC3GP
User Capacity:    200,049,647,616 bytes [200 GB]
Device is:        In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
ATA Version is:   8
ATA Standard is:  ATA-8-ACS revision 3f
Local Time is:    Sun Oct 23 3:25:05 2011 PDT
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Enabled

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

General SMART Values:
Offline data collection status:  (0x00)	Offline data collection activity
					was never started.
					Auto Offline Data Collection: Disabled.
Self-test execution status:      (   0)	The previous self-test routine
completed
					without error or no self-test has ever
					been run.
Total time to complete Offline
data collection: 		(  645) seconds.
Offline data collection
capabilities: 			 (0x5b) SMART execute Offline immediate.
					Auto Offline data collection on/off support.
					Suspend Offline collection upon new
					command.
					Offline surface scan supported.
					Self-test supported.
					No Conveyance Self-test supported.
					Selective Self-test supported.
SMART capabilities:            (0x0003)	Saves SMART data before entering
					power-saving mode.
					Supports SMART auto save timer.
Error logging capability:        (0x01)	Error logging supported.
					General Purpose Logging supported.
Short self-test routine
recommended polling time: 	 (   2) minutes.
Extended self-test routine
recommended polling time: 	 (  96) minutes.
SCT capabilities: 	       (0x003d)	SCT Status supported.
					SCT Error Recovery Control supported.
					SCT Feature Control supported.
					SCT Data Table supported.

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE
UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
   1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x000b   100   100   062    Pre-fail
Always       -       0
   2 Throughput_Performance  0x0005   100   100   040    Pre-fail
Offline      -       0
   3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0007   204   204   033    Pre-fail
Always       -       1
   4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0012   097   097   000    Old_age
Always       -       5664
   5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   100   100   005    Pre-fail
Always       -       0
   7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x000b   100   100   067    Pre-fail
Always       -       0
   8 Seek_Time_Performance   0x0005   100   100   040    Pre-fail
Offline      -       0
   9 Power_On_Hours          0x0012   095   095   000    Old_age
Always       -       2410
  10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0013   100   100   060    Pre-fail
Always       -       0
  12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   099   099   000    Old_age
Always       -       2075
191 G-Sense_Error_Rate      0x000a   100   100   000    Old_age   Always
       -       0
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always
       -       8591310895
193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0012   084   084   000    Old_age   Always
       -       162824
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0002   166   166   000    Old_age   Always
       -       33 (Min/Max 16/48)
195 Hardware_ECC_Recovered  0x000a   100   100   000    Old_age   Always
       -       0
196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always
       -       0
197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0022   100   100   000    Old_age   Always
       -       0
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0008   100   100   000    Old_age
Offline      -       0
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x000a   200   200   000    Old_age   Always
       -       0
223 Load_Retry_Count        0x000a   100   100   000    Old_age   Always
       -       0

SMART Error Log Version: 1
No Errors Logged

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining
LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
# 1  Short offline       Completed without error       00%      2408
      -

SMART Selective self-test log data structure revision number 1
  SPAN  MIN_LBA  MAX_LBA  CURRENT_TEST_STATUS
     1        0        0  Not_testing
     2        0        0  Not_testing
     3        0        0  Not_testing
     4        0        0  Not_testing
     5        0        0  Not_testing
Selective self-test flags (0x0):
   After scanning selected spans, do NOT read-scan remainder of disk.
If Selective self-test is pending on power-up, resume after 0 minute delay.

This was after short and long tests. I guess the drive is fine? :)
--
"Everyone knows an ant can't move a rubber tree plant." --Motto of FTL
Foundation (in Isaac Asimov book)
    /\___/\               Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
  | |o   o| |
Ant
10/23/2011 11:41:38 AM
Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote

> [...]

> SMART Error Log Version: 1
> No Errors Logged

> SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
> Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
> # 1  Short offline       Completed without error       00%      2408 -

> SMART Selective self-test log data structure revision number 1
>  SPAN  MIN_LBA  MAX_LBA  CURRENT_TEST_STATUS
>     1        0        0  Not_testing
>     2        0        0  Not_testing
>     3        0        0  Not_testing
>     4        0        0  Not_testing
>     5        0        0  Not_testing
> Selective self-test flags (0x0):
>   After scanning selected spans, do NOT read-scan remainder of disk.
> If Selective self-test is pending on power-up, resume after 0 minute delay.

> This was after short and long tests. I guess the drive is fine? :)

Yes, its fine, bit old, but nothing too dramatic.

The power off retract count is very high, but it is a laptop after all.

0
Rod
10/23/2011 5:39:05 PM
On 10/23/2011 10:39 AM PT, Rod Speed typed:

>> This was after short and long tests. I guess the drive is fine? :)
>
> Yes, its fine, bit old, but nothing too dramatic.
>
> The power off retract count is very high, but it is a laptop after all.

Thank you for reviewing. What's power off retract?
--
"When I am at my lowest, that is when I see things the clearest. It's
hard to care about ants when you're soaring with eagles." --unknown
    /\___/\               Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
  | |o   o| |
Ant
10/23/2011 6:12:59 PM
Ant wrote
> Rod Speed wrote

>>> This was after short and long tests. I guess the drive is fine? :)

>> Yes, its fine, bit old, but nothing too dramatic.

>> The power off retract count is very high, but it is a laptop after all.

> Thank you for reviewing. What's power off retract?

The heads are retracted before the drive stops spinning. Normal to do
that with a laptop running on batterys to maximise the time on battery.

0
Rod
10/23/2011 11:42:44 PM
In article <9gjn3oF91vU1@mid.individual.net>, "Rod Speed"
<rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ant wrote
> > Rod Speed wrote

> >> Yes, its fine, bit old, but nothing too dramatic.
>
> >> The power off retract count is very high, but it is a laptop after all.
>
> > Thank you for reviewing. What's power off retract?
>
> The heads are retracted before the drive stops spinning. Normal to do
> that with a laptop running on batterys to maximise the time on battery.

Might also happen when the drop sensors think the laptop has been dropped.
0
yourname
10/24/2011 2:49:39 AM
Your Name wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote
>> Ant wrote
>>> Rod Speed wrote

>>> Thank you for reviewing. What's power off retract?

>> The heads are retracted before the drive stops spinning. Normal to do
>> that with a laptop running on batterys to maximise the time on battery.

> Might also happen when the drop sensors think the laptop has been dropped.

That wont be the reason for the high retract count being discussed.

0
Rod
10/24/2011 4:04:56 AM
In article <9gk6faFgakU1@mid.individual.net>, "Rod Speed"
<rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:
> Your Name wrote
> > Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote
> >> Ant wrote

> >> The heads are retracted before the drive stops spinning. Normal to do
> >> that with a laptop running on batterys to maximise the time on battery.
> >
> > Might also happen when the drop sensors think the laptop has been dropped.
>
> That wont be the reason for the high retract count being discussed.

Depends on how many times Ant has dropped the laptop ... or used it in an
express elevator, or on a rollercoaster, or ...  ;-)
0
yourname
10/24/2011 4:39:59 AM
Your Name wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote
>> Your Name wrote
>>> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote

>>> Might also happen when the drop sensors think the laptop has been dropped.

>> That wont be the reason for the high retract count being discussed.

> Depends on how many times Ant has dropped the laptop ...

Nope, it aint its.

> or used it in an express elevator, or on a rollercoaster, or ...  ;-)

Ant is a cripple. Dont expect it has too much to do with rollercoasters.

And stop that smirking...

0
Rod
10/24/2011 8:32:19 AM
On Oct 24, 1:32=A0am, "Rod Speed" <rod.speed....@gmail.com> wrote:

> > or used it in an express elevator, or on a rollercoaster, or ... =A0;-)
>
> Ant is a cripple. Dont expect it has too much to do with rollercoasters.

Actually, it is my client's. I did help to configure and maintain it.

> And stop that smirking...

;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)=
 ;-) :-
P :-b
0
Ant
10/24/2011 6:57:00 PM

> > > Might also happen when the drop sensors think the laptop has been dro=
pped.

> > That wont be the reason for the high retract count being discussed.
>
> Depends on how many times Ant has dropped the laptop ... or used it in an
> express elevator, or on a rollercoaster, or ... =A0;-)

AFAIK, it hasn't been dropped even after all the travelling around the
world. Battery usage, sometimes.
0
Ant