firewire external drive vs internal ide drive???

I had a power outage a few days ago and lost the FAT tables to one of
my firewire external drives.  But not all of them.  I am not sure why
this happened, but a friend of mine tells me it is because I lost
power.  So why didnt it happen to all of my extenal drives?  AT ANY
RATE...  I am over losing all of that data, but now I have come up with
this crazy idea that an internal drive would less prone to this type of
loss, so I want switch to using internal drives.  My friend made it
sound as though this problem of mine stemmed from the fact that the
drive I did lose was an external firewire drive.

Am I wrong in thinking that an internal IDE drive would work better for
storage than an external firewire drive?

Opinions, thoughts, ideas??????

0
gasolineman
10/26/2005 3:06:28 PM
comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage 1074 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

gasolineman@yahoo.com <gasolineman@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I had a power outage a few days ago and lost the FAT tables to one of my
> firewire external drives.  But not all of them.  I am not sure why this
> happened, but a friend of mine tells me it is because I lost power.  So
> why didnt it happen to all of my extenal drives?

Perhaps the other drives weren't being written to when the power failed.

> AT ANY RATE...  I am over losing all of that data, but now I have come up
> with this crazy idea that an internal drive would less prone to this type
> of loss, so I want switch to using internal drives.  My friend made it
> sound as though this problem of mine stemmed from the fact that the drive
> I did lose was an external firewire drive.
>
> Am I wrong in thinking that an internal IDE drive would work better for
> storage than an external firewire drive?
>
> Opinions, thoughts, ideas??????

A drive in a FireWire enclosure isn't inherently less (or more) reliable
than an internal drive. An external drive is better for backup because
it can be unmounted, powered down, and stored off site or in a fire safe
when not in use.

If you're concerned about data preservation, you should be running your
Mac and external storage devices from an uninterruptible power supply.

0
neillmassello

Mac IDE drives vs PC IDE drives
Do Mac IDE drives follow the same electrical standards as the PC IDE drives? I want to transfer data from an old Performa 637CD to a slot loading iMac running OS 9.1. Since the Performa has no way to directly network to the iMac, I am thinking of pulling the drive and putting it in my external USB drive case. Then I just hook the drive to the iMac and transfer the data. I have done this a lot when pulling drives from old PC's...I just drop the drive in the case and hook it to another PC and I can get the data without problem. Any reason that it won't work on these Mac's? &qu...

Help needed:Turning internal IDE drive into external USB drive
Hi guys, I need a little advice please. (Apologies in advance if I'm in the wrong place.) I was shopping for an external storage device on Ebay,and I accidentally bought an internal drive instead.(Dopey me realised my mistake 5 seconds after I bid,& alas no one out bid me.As I don't want an unpaid strike,I had to buy the damn thing.) I was going to sell it back on Ebay after it arrives,but a little reading revealed to me that you can turn an internal drive into a USB external drive with a 3.5" hard drive case enclosure. So I ask,can I convert the following: S...

iTunes 7: use of external firewire drive in conjunction with internal drive?
I'm somewhat late to the iPod/iTunes craze, but have had my G4 taking care of the kids' music collections and iPods for a few years. The release of the new 80G iPod has intrigued me. Before I dive in, I'd like to have all of *my* music put onto a large external drive I use in a firewire box with removable trays. The way I look at it, I could keep all of my stuff there and even back it up on another tray drive. When I want to update my own Pod, I would simply tell iTunes to use the other drive instead of the internal, so I'd always be updating my own stuff. I wouldn't have t...

External drives as compared to Internal drives
I have recently bought a new Tiny Mediabook U64-3700+ of which I am awaiting delivery. The one drawback on this system that may affect me is the Fujitsu/Toshiba Hard Disk with minimum Ultra ATA/100 interface, 4200rpm speed, 12 ms Access time, 80GB capacity and 1MB Buffer. If I bought an external drive with 7200rpm and connected it via a usb2 connection would this perform better? "Paul" <paulc@bms-software.com> wrote in message news:1108661164.188174.238170@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > I have recently bought a new Tiny Mediabook U64-3700+ of which I am > awaiting d...

Duplicating internal hard drive to external drive
I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I want to purchase a higher capacity hard drive and have it replace my existing one. I would like to make a bootable copy of my existing one by using my external USB drive enclosure. My plan is to place the new drive in this enclosure and use Powerquest Drive Image 7 to copy my existing drive to the new one, then removing the existing with the new one Will this work? I know Drive Image will let me dup from internal to internal (primary to slave),but it's not clear whether I can use its copy disk option to go to an external drive...

Internal Jaz drive to External Portable drive? Help!!
Hi all, I have a 1 gig Jaz drive that I was hoping to turn into a external portable drive. So I went and bought a Jaz traveler that does nothing for me since it is designed for the external drive. Is there any way to make this drive portable to connect to the parallel port or other wise? Thanks, Scott.. ...

Startup from External Drive and Automatically Unmount Internal Drive
My SO has a PowerBook G4, a so-called TiBook. Because the internal drive is insufficient to hold all of her applications and documents and such we configured it with the intention that it would boot off of an external Firewire drive that is much larger than the internal drive. The Startup Disk is set to the external drive. All is working well with two exceptions.... a) Subsequent to a shut down a startup will occur on the internal drive and not the designated startup drive. b) An AppleScript initiated upon startup and which has a 60 second delay will not eject the internal drive, but a...

Using an internal hard drive as an external hard drive
I have 2 internal disks that I have taken out from a PC that has failed me after 6 years of use. I now am using an HP notebook, and I need data from these 2 disks that I wanted to copy to my laptop ... or possibly use these 2 disks as some sort of temporary storage. In my previous work, we had some kind of caddy / container for hard disks, you place the hard disk inside, and it has some minimal wirings to allow you to plug-in power to the hard disk, and some cable to attach for the data ( like the flat ribbon inside the PC ). However, I do not know what this is called and therefore don't...

How do I create a startup drive on an external firewire Hard drive?
I want to be able to start up from the external drive when there is trouble. Thanks in advance. Alby Jones <alby@harvard.edu> wrote: > I want to be able to start up from the external drive when there is > trouble. Just install an OS on the drive. That's all there is to it. -- <http://designsbymike.biz/macconsultshop.shtml> Mac-themed T-shirts <http://designsbymike.biz/musings.shtml> Mostly muckraking T-shirts <http://designsbymike.biz/prius.shtml> Prius shirts & bumper stickers <http://cafepress.com/comedancing> Ballroom dance-themed shirts &...

Dual Drive Firewire 800 Drive Doc for Mac?
Does any vendor make a dual drive dock for Firewire 800? I'm looking for the simple vertical mount enclosures that do not require any hotswap tray for the SATA drive. I currently have a Voyager Firewire 800 but it only supports one drive. I have a number of dual drive bays that use eSATA for output, but unfortunately that is not an option for my Mac Mini. -- W In article <s9udneWAtuoqYibNnZ2dnUVZ_sadnZ2d@giganews.com>, "W" <persistentone@spamarrest.com> wrote: > Does any vendor make a dual drive dock for Firewire 800? I'm looking ...

need help, my file folders from external drive and usb drive became exe fileneed help, my file folders from external drive and usb drive became exe file
need help, my file folders from external drive and usb drive became exe file. my avg anti virus can detect it as trojan horse dropper agent.mqp. i dont want to remove the exe file yet because im afraid my files will be removed as well. can anyone give me another way to recover the files? -- wewet ------------------------------------------------------------------------ wewet's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/100316.htm View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/virus-spyware/1184791.htm http://forums.techarena.in ...

Turn an internal iMac G3 hard drive into an external drive?
I am hopelessly ignorant when it comes to hardware... I have a perfectly good 40gig hard drive in my G3 iMac going to waste, while I'm running out of room on my G5 iMac. Is there any way to turn my G3's internal drive into an external drive for my G5? I've read about enclosures that do this in general, but is there one that would work for this specific purpose (i.e. Mac compatible, and for the G3's hard disk, more specifically)? I'd appreciate any advice anyone might have! Also, I have no idea what 'size' the G3's drive is (for example 3.5", ...

Premade external hard drive or internal hard drive with enclosure?
Hi, My WD mybook external hardrive died, and now i need a new one for my laptop (which has th elaptop firewire conneciton, which isn't the same as the pc firewire connection that most external harddrives come with, thus need to use usb) So I'm thinking of getting the following toshiba 320 gb external ( see link below). However I have also been considering getting a regular internal harddrive and enclosure. would this be better in terms of reliability and speed? How difficult is this to set up? If this is better any recommendations for a 300-500 gb drive and enclosure? T...

External Hard Drive (USB) recognizes hardware but not drives
I pulled a IBM Travelstar disk from a T21 (I know it works fine, the problem on the laptop was with the motherboard). I connected it to a Argosy HD260 external hard disk case (USB connection). On connecting to an XP box, the system recognizes an IBM-DJSA-220 USB Device, but no drive letter appear (the disk was used on Win2K, so I assume it is NTFS, and has two partitions). How can I see the two volumes on the disk to access the data? Thanks <aribloch@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1164540238.912622.152430@j72g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > > I pulled a IBM Travelstar disk from a T21 (I know it works fine, the > problem on the laptop was with the motherboard). I connected it to a > Argosy HD260 external hard disk case (USB connection). On connecting to > an XP box, the system recognizes an IBM-DJSA-220 USB Device, but no > drive letter appear (the disk was used on Win2K, so I assume it is > NTFS, and has two partitions). > > How can I see the two volumes on the disk to access the data? > > Thanks aribloch: These USB external HDD non-recognition problems in the XP environment have been a source of continuing irritation (not to say aggravation) to many of us. For what it's worth we've put together a kind of checklist for troubleshooting this kind of problem which I've listed below. But before getting to them you might want to try the following... I'm assuming your reference ...

iTunes import problem with internal drive but OK with external drive
I have been importing my CD collection, mostly with no problems. But, when I tried importing one particular CD to iTunes using the internal drive, it had many pops indicating areas of the disk that iTunes could not read. I tried cleaning the disk and turning "error correction coding" on in Preferences, but that did not help. Also, both before and after the cleaning/changing Preferences, the import process was also going very slowly (0.4-1.7x indicated, but sometimes making no progress for 10 seconds). The disk had no obvious scratches or damage and had been treated with kid gloves, b...

Externally connecting internal IDE drives
I have a very large and complex rack-mounted box which contains a 14-slot ISA bus passive backplane [physically divided into 2 separate PC segments] and 12 cards of various sorts installed. The box has physical room for mounting 3 drives in the front opening in which I have a floppy and 2 removable HD frames for one of the PC's and I have internally mounted a permanent HD and made a cutout in the back panel for a floppy for the second PC in the box. Everything works well ... Until I need to attach a CDROM drive to one of the PC's. Currently I've got the cables from the secondary ...

Drive A Not Drive A??
Hi I just got an old IDE zip 100 drive. On the back, it's label for the jumpers is split into 2 boxes, labelled "Not Drive A" and "Drive A". Each box shows three different jumper settings for how to set the drive to slave/master/cable. So in other words, there's six jumper settings on the back. Three for "Drive A" - master/slave/cable and three for "Not Drive A" - master/slave/cable which are different. What does "Drive A" or "Not Drive A" mean? I don't know which jumper settings diagram is right... In arti...

drive to drive
if you plan to be your own manual raid, drive to drive copy, then is there any advantage to pairing drive manufacturer & model? webwalker@68z28.com wrote: > if you plan to be your own manual raid, drive to drive copy, then is > there any advantage to pairing drive manufacturer & model? No. However there is the usual disadvantage, namely a higher probability of simultaneous failure. Arno -- Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@wagner.name GnuPG: ID: 1E25338F FP: 0C30 5782 9D93 F785 E79C 0296 797F 6B50 1E25 338F ---- Cuddly UI...

Using external IDE drive and Firewire
I have heard about Firewire and how you can attach hard drives. I haven't seen them but I think you can get enclosures which will hold an IDE hard drive and you can plug that into your PC. If I am right the advantage is that you can easily swap the drive between system but the disadvatange is that you can't boot from the drive. Is all this correct? Also can someone tell me what the effective or real transfer rate is using Firewire when compared to using the usual internal parallel ATA cables. Is the Firewire (nominally 50 or 100 Mbps) approximately as fast as 100 MHz ...

Diskwarrior on external drive won't fix internal drive
I have an eMac attached to a firewire drive with two partitions, one of which has a bootable backup of my OS. I tried booting from the FW drive in order to use Diskwarrior on my internal hard drive but it refused to work because it said the eMac hard drive could not be unmounted. Using Disk Utility, I confirmed that the eMac hard drive cannot be unmounted. Why does this happen? Is there something essential on the internal hard drive that remains in use, even when I've booted from the FW drive? I can use Diskwarrior on the other FW partition, so I know it's working. I have a ...

External Hard Drive Partial Failure
I own a LaCie 500GB triple interface external hard drive. I use it to backup my G4 iMac every night using SuperDuper! via Firewire. One of the two Maxtor 250GB internal drives failed. I don't want to get rid of this unit, so I'm exploring options to continue using it. If I remove the failed 250GB hard drive from the LaCie enclosure, will the unit work properly with only the remaining good 250GB hard drive in place, albeit at half of the capacity (ie. 233GB formatted)? If so, will removing the failed drive, and running only the remaining good drive in the enclosure, affect th...

storage drive-internal or external, for movie files
~ I don't work with movies much, certainly not enough to need mass storage, but a friend has plans for taking movies from his work and converting and burning these to dvd. I pointed him to some software but I cant find specific info on hard drive storage for movies. Specifically, can an external hard drive hooked to USB 2.0 pci card function well enough for storing movies imported from a digital (or tape) camcorder? Or, is it better to install an internal storage drive? If the external drive is sufficient to upload his movies into, will it also be able to burn the dvd...

Jump Drive/external drive
novice question, My external usb maxtor drive is dead. Why would I buy another when I can buy a jump drive? tina <freshairtraining@aol.com> wrote > novice question, > My external usb maxtor drive is dead. Why would > I buy another when I can buy a jump drive? The obvious difference is the size. An exernal USB drive is a lot bigger, and much cheaper per GB. No big deal if say you only need 2GB or something, but if you need say 200G for a full backup of the system, its much cheaper and much faster with a USB external drive. ...

USB and Firewire Drive Enclosures
I have been researching external Hard Drive Enclosures for a few dyas now. I see some sites where the vendor says "Supports drives up to 400 GB !!" or in some cases "up to 360 GB", and others say "500 GB" I am confused, as to why the limitation. I question whether there really is a limit but I do not want to buy one and be wrong. 1) I thought maybe it is the dimensions - so I measured. I have a couple of 500 GB drives and they are just as thick as my 60 GB drives, at 1 inch !! So it must be something else? 2) I also though that maybe this is a ...

Web resources about - firewire external drive vs internal ide drive??? - comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage

IEEE 1394 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The IEEE 1394 interface , developed in late 1980s and early 1990s by Apple as FireWire , is a serial bus interface standard for high-speed communications ...

Apple cuts FireWire connection
IF there's a bit of ground upheaval at the Alta Mesa Memorial Park in California's Palo Alto this week, it's probably just Steve Jobs rolling ...

Review: Hitachi G-Drive 500GB portable firewire hard drive
We’ve spent the past month with the Hitachi G-Drive Mobile ($128) which is an attractive Firewire/USB portable hard drive that will look great ...

Duet (FireWire): Compatibility - Apogee KnowledgeBase
No . Duet 2 , the original ONE Duet FireWire , Symphony I / O and Ensemble are Mac only products and were not designed to work with iPad or iOS ...

FireWire Audio Driver Update 1.0.8
About This update is recommended for users of FireWire audio devices built on the BridgeCo Enhanced Breakout Box (BeBoB), including the FA-101 ...

Jobs responds to outrage over MacBook's missing FireWire [u]
... Apple chief executive Steve Jobs has reportedly told one Mac user that changes in video camera technology have reduced the need for FireWire ...

Report: FireWire doomed to niche interface status
... 2. report. One of the more infamous and contentious threads in the history of the Battlefront was a debate over the relative merits of FireWire ...

Akitio Neutrino U3+ USB 3.0 and Firewire 800 Enclosure Review
... enclosures are nothing new, but the Akiti takes it to the next level with the Neutrino U3+ 2.5″ SATA enclosure, offering USB 3.0 and Firewire ...

FireWire hits 2 billion ports, still far behind USB
The 1394 Trade Association is touting the success of FireWire ports , saying that the technology has reached the 2 billion ports mark. But that ...

Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire adapter now available
Over a month after announcing the adaptor at WWDC, Apple has finally made it available for Thunderbolt users.