3490 Tape Drive for Mac OS X?

I'm looking for a way to read IBM 3490 format tapes under Mac OS X.
Can anyone recommend a hardware/software solution?

Buying a PCI SCIS card, or using an older mac with SCSI built in is
possible.  In a pinch I could boot OS 9, or even run Virtual PC, but
would prefer to stick with OS X if possible.

Thanks!

--
To send email, remove the invalid and nospams.
0

In article <1gnctf9.1uacd73ivic8uN%md03NOSPAM@xochiNOSPAM.com.invalid>,
 md03NOSPAM@xochiNOSPAM.com.invalid (Michael Diehr) wrote:

> I'm looking for a way to read IBM 3490 format tapes under Mac OS X.
> Can anyone recommend a hardware/software solution?
>
> Buying a PCI SCIS card, or using an older mac with SCSI built in is
> possible.  In a pinch I could boot OS 9, or even run Virtual PC, but
> would prefer to stick with OS X if possible.

The drives are easy enough to find, but drivers for OS X might be a
problem.   Do a search on Overland Data 3490.   Overland Data has been
the leader in this niche for many years.   Although I don't believe they
still sell these drives new, they are available used from several places.

I used for many years - and still have - an Overland Data 9 track, 1600
BPI round tape drive on a PC.   I was running a conversion business in
the 80s and 90s, converting to/from tape/floppy/Mac/PC/etc.

Good luck.

Mike
0
Mike