eBay: "Free Apple iPod Mini" ...hoax?

I found a few strange auctions at eBay claiming to provide a FREE iPod
mini:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5706009436
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5706009672

"To recieve the free iPod Mini you'll need a vaild email address,
choose three sponsers from a wide selection and sign-up, and be
willing to wait 60 days. Once you have completed this you will be sent
a 100% free iPod Mini, even free shipping."

Is this a hoax? If not, anyone know exactly what "sign-up" means?
0
adamm
6/24/2004 8:36:04 PM
comp.sys.mac.hardware 1561 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

In article <9b12ed8d.0406241236.3118e2e4@posting.google.com>, Adam
Monsen <adamm@wazamatta.com> wrote:

> Is this a hoax?

Let's see... a guy who's been a eBay member for all of three weeks.
His only feedback comment is "hope this is not a rip off otherwise its
great."   He offers to sell you information for $5.  For that $5,
you'll get an iPod Mini for free, even though dealer cost is well over
$200 for that item.

Does that sound legit to YOU?  Me either.

>  If not, anyone know exactly what "sign-up" means?

If my instinct is correct, it means you're picking a few people to form
the base of a pyramid scheme.

I think I'd pass.

--
Garner R. Miller
Manchester, CT =USA=

http://www.topfreegifts.com/

You have to sign up for like 3 credit cards.  But you have to wait 60
days after doing so, and in the terms I think it says something like
they can change the prizes anytime.  So I bet they conveniently change
the terms before the 60 days are over.
0
paraphelion
7/10/2004 10:49:39 AM
First of all, it's not a hoax but don't pay $5 for information on how
to receive your free iPod...I'll just tell you how right now!

You sign up at http://www.freeiPods.com/default.aspx?referer=6985421
using a valid email address. Complete one offer from one of their
sponsors. I did ancestory.com because it gave me a free 14 day trial
which I actually cancelled less than 72 hours after signing up by
calling a toll-free number. You can try any of the other sponsors but
ancestory.com was instant in fulfilling your requirement and I believe
the others can take 2-3 days to process. Then refer 5 more people to
do the exact same thing and in about 6-8 weeks you'll receive your
free iPod. My friend received his iPod about 3 weeks ago and now I'm
working on getting mine so I know it works!

paraphelion@gmail.com (Paraphelion Corquescant) wrote in message news:<e058f1da.0407100249.3d1ce8ac@posting.google.com>...
> It's probably something like the offer seen on this website :
>
> http://www.topfreegifts.com/
>
> You have to sign up for like 3 credit cards.  But you have to wait 60
> days after doing so, and in the terms I think it says something like
> they can change the prizes anytime.  So I bet they conveniently change
> the terms before the 60 days are over.
0
ericajmelton
7/10/2004 11:18:38 PM
This is such bullshit, it's obviously a scam!  NOTHING is free.
Especially not iPods.

--
"No urban night is like the night [in NYC]...here is our poetry, for we have
pulled down the stars to our will."

The company is called Metarewards and operates from
www.topfreegifts.com
it offers a free iPOD if you sign up for various offers. First of all,
its marketing is very deceptive. Atleast, i thought that you only had
to sign up for one offer to get the iPOD. Well, it turns out you have
to sign up for three different offers. So i bit the bullet and signed
up for two more offers. After signing up and fullfilling the other two
offers, I was accepting to see my rewrd being processed by
Topfreegifts.com. Well, Topfreegifts.com would not show that i have
completed the other two offers. i called them several times to enquire
and no answer. i emailed them many times but no real answer. so i
finally emailed one of the offering companies, POWWEB to ask them
about this promotion. Well here is the kicker!!:
POWWEB told me that they are not affiliated with this promotion and
further their legal department has been in contact with
Topfreegifts.com to stop including POWWEB in its promotion. So
apparently, Topfreegifts.com was busy with deceptive marketing schemes
and fraud. I plan to pursue this further with California State
Authorities (where Topfreegifts.com is based). If any one wants to
come on the team, please email me at ggtd068a@yahoo.com

You know what they say: "if it is too good to be true, then it
probably is."

ericajmelton@yahoo.com (Erica) wrote in message news:<ad48bc2.0407101518.60144ec6@posting.google.com>...
> First of all, it's not a hoax but don't pay $5 for information on how
> to receive your free iPod...I'll just tell you how right now!
>
> You sign up at http://www.freeiPods.com/default.aspx?referer=6985421
> using a valid email address. Complete one offer from one of their
> sponsors. I did ancestory.com because it gave me a free 14 day trial
> which I actually cancelled less than 72 hours after signing up by
> calling a toll-free number. You can try any of the other sponsors but
> ancestory.com was instant in fulfilling your requirement and I believe
> the others can take 2-3 days to process. Then refer 5 more people to
> do the exact same thing and in about 6-8 weeks you'll receive your
> free iPod. My friend received his iPod about 3 weeks ago and now I'm
> working on getting mine so I know it works!
>

> paraphelion@gmail.com (Paraphelion Corquescant) wrote in message news:<e058f1da.0407100249.3d1ce8ac@posting.google.com>...
> > It's probably something like the offer seen on this website :
> >
> > http://www.topfreegifts.com/
> >
> > You have to sign up for like 3 credit cards.  But you have to wait 60
> > days after doing so, and in the terms I think it says something like
> > they can change the prizes anytime.  So I bet they conveniently change
> > the terms before the 60 days are over.
0
imrangolf