Hardware with Mac

I'm in the final stages of planning a move to Mac after using MSDOS/Windows
computers since the early Intel 8088 days.  If I make the switch it will be
to either the desktop or portable dual core Mac.  I've asked in another
forum about the software I might need and wonder about printers, scanners
etc.  I use a Canon miltifunction and don't see anything on the CD about a
Mac OS so I'm assuming I'll need a new printer/scanner etc.  I've always
like HP and I know they make several models...are any of them Mac
operational?  If not, is there a multi function unit any of you can
recommend?  I require scanner and printer (photo capable) and anything else
is a bonus (like fax and/or copier).

I've seen a thing or two about the dual core being simple to dual boot.  I'm
wondering if it might not be a bad idea to buy a large external HD and put
all of my current files etc on it and then install Windows XP on the Mac to
use until I get up to speed on Mac products.  By the same token, if I end up
buying the Mac version of Office, all I need to know is, will a portable
hard drive with Windows files on it be "readable" and usable by the Mac
version of Office?  I'm thinking word processing,  simple spreadsheet files,
movies (Windows Media and Mpegs) and pictures (mainly jpegs).

I've really grown accustomed to my Microsoft Natural keyboard.  Is there a
Mac equivalent ( I know Logitech makes a dandy but don't know if it works on
a Mac).

Thanks for any and all help and I hope I'm about to join your community of
users!  ;-)

Tim

0
TS
7/6/2006 2:00:20 PM
comp.sys.mac.hardware 1561 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

In article <UH8rg.131151$771.77774@edtnps89>,
 "TS Mathews" <nospam@nospam.ca> wrote:

> I'm in the final stages of planning a move to Mac after using MSDOS/Windows
> computers since the early Intel 8088 days.  If I make the switch it will be
> to either the desktop or portable dual core Mac.  I've asked in another
> forum about the software I might need and wonder about printers, scanners
> etc.  I use a Canon miltifunction and don't see anything on the CD about a
> Mac OS so I'm assuming I'll need a new printer/scanner etc.

It's probably worth checking the web site. Canon does offer OS X support
for at least some of its multifunction devices.

> I've seen a thing or two about the dual core being simple to dual boot.  I'm
> wondering if it might not be a bad idea to buy a large external HD and put
> all of my current files etc on it and then install Windows XP on the Mac to
> use until I get up to speed on Mac products.

And find suitable replacements for the programs you already use and need.

>  By the same token, if I end up
> buying the Mac version of Office, all I need to know is, will a portable
> hard drive with Windows files on it be "readable" and usable by the Mac
> version of Office?  I'm thinking word processing,  simple spreadsheet files,
> movies (Windows Media and Mpegs) and pictures (mainly jpegs).

In general, yes, but please note that the Mac and Windows versions of
the Office apps have been leapfrogging each other for over a decade. So
at any given time whichever platform has had the most recent release is
likely to offer features not supported by the latest release on the
other platform. And, apparently, VBA support in the Mac versions is
awful.

> I've really grown accustomed to my Microsoft Natural keyboard.  Is there a
> Mac equivalent ( I know Logitech makes a dandy but don't know if it works on
> a Mac).

You could probably continue to use your Microsoft keyboard.
<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=84bdf38f-efbf-4
d31-a0b4-e603a3db5ac8&DisplayLang=en>

--
What I write is what I mean. I request that anyone who decides to respond
please refrain from "disagreeing" with something I didn't write in the first
In article <UH8rg.131151$771.77774@edtnps89>,
 "TS Mathews" <nospam@nospam.ca> wrote:

> I'm in the final stages of planning a move to Mac after using MSDOS/Windows
> computers since the early Intel 8088 days.  If I make the switch it will be
> to either the desktop or portable dual core Mac.  I've asked in another
> forum about the software I might need and wonder about printers, scanners
> etc.  I use a Canon miltifunction and don't see anything on the CD about a
> Mac OS so I'm assuming I'll need a new printer/scanner etc.  I've always
> like HP and I know they make several models...are any of them Mac
> operational?  If not, is there a multi function unit any of you can
> recommend?  I require scanner and printer (photo capable) and anything else
> is a bonus (like fax and/or copier).
>
> I've seen a thing or two about the dual core being simple to dual boot.  I'm
> wondering if it might not be a bad idea to buy a large external HD and put
> all of my current files etc on it and then install Windows XP on the Mac to
> use until I get up to speed on Mac products.  By the same token, if I end up
> buying the Mac version of Office, all I need to know is, will a portable
> hard drive with Windows files on it be "readable" and usable by the Mac
> version of Office?  I'm thinking word processing,  simple spreadsheet files,
> movies (Windows Media and Mpegs) and pictures (mainly jpegs).
>
> I've really grown accustomed to my Microsoft Natural keyboard.  Is there a
> Mac equivalent ( I know Logitech makes a dandy but don't know if it works on
> a Mac).
>
> Thanks for any and all help and I hope I'm about to join your community of
> users!  ;-)

Your best bet is to go to the web site for the manufacturer of each item
you want to use and look up its compatibility info. If you check Canon's
web site, for example, you may find a driver for your printer there. If
you decide to buy a new printer, keep in mind that HP's Mac drivers are
known to be slow, so consider a different printer company such as Epson.
As far as I know, all major printer manufactures suppose OS X in their
current products, so if you like Canon, you can stick with Canon.

As for sharing files via a hard drive; sure, it should work fine to
share Office files in that manner. What you want to do is very common.
0
Stan
7/6/2006 5:54:10 PM
Gregory Weston <uce@splook.com> wrote:

> In article <UH8rg.131151$771.77774@edtnps89>,
>  "TS Mathews" <nospam@nospam.ca> wrote:

> >  By the same token, if I end up
> > buying the Mac version of Office, all I need to know is, will a portable
> > hard drive with Windows files on it be "readable" and usable by the Mac
> > version of Office?  I'm thinking word processing,  simple spreadsheet files,
> > movies (Windows Media and Mpegs) and pictures (mainly jpegs).
>
> In general, yes, but please note that the Mac and Windows versions of
> the Office apps have been leapfrogging each other for over a decade. So
> at any given time whichever platform has had the most recent release is
> likely to offer features not supported by the latest release on the
> other platform. And, apparently, VBA support in the Mac versions is
> awful.

And also note that the Windows and Mac versions come with very different
sets of fonts. Just look at the Lucida family.
I have found Lucida Grande and Lucida Calligraphy to be great for e.d.
diplomas, but those gems don't exist on Windows.
Sometimes you wonder if Microsoft are thinking at all.

--
I recommend Macs to my friends, and Windows machines
to those whom I don't mind billing by the hour