How to tell USB 1 or USB 2?

How can I tell if the USB ports on my G4 are USB 1 or 2?
Thanks,
Anthony
0
ajc1961
2/25/2004 6:52:21 PM
comp.sys.mac.hardware 1561 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

In article <f0a79190.0402251052.2265babc@posting.google.com>, anthony
<ajc1961@yahoo.com> wrote:

> How can I tell if the USB ports on my G4 are USB 1 or 2?

Run the System Profiler application.  Click USB, then USB Bus.  If it
saya "Up to 12 Mb/sec," you have USB 1.1.  If it's something higher
than that, it's USB 2.  (As I don't have USB 2, I'm not positive of the
USB 2 speed figure, but I believe it's 480Mbps.)

--
Garner R. Miller
Manchester, CT =USA=
 Garner Miller <garner@netstreet.net> wrote:

> Run the System Profiler application.  Click USB, then USB Bus.  If it
> saya "Up to 12 Mb/sec," you have USB 1.1.  If it's something higher
> than that, it's USB 2.  (As I don't have USB 2, I'm not positive of the
> USB 2 speed figure, but I believe it's 480Mbps.)

It'll also say "USB High-Speed Bus" for USB 2

please mail OT responses only
0
Scott
2/26/2004 5:34:40 PM
ajc1961@yahoo.com (anthony) writes:

> How can I tell if the USB ports on my G4 are USB 1 or 2?

All of the G4 towers are USB 1.

The first PostMac to use USB 2.0 was the G5.

For other models (like iMacs and notebooks), it's less obvious.  See
the Apple System Profiler to be sure.

-- David
0
shamino
2/29/2004 3:45:38 PM
In <250220041527455603%garner@netstreet.net> Garner Miller  wrote:
> In article <f0a79190.0402251052.2265babc@posting.google.com>, anthony
> <ajc1961@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> How can I tell if the USB ports on my G4 are USB 1 or 2?
>
> Run the System Profiler application.  Click USB, then USB Bus.  If it
> saya "Up to 12 Mb/sec," you have USB 1.1.  If it's something higher
> than that, it's USB 2.  (As I don't have USB 2, I'm not positive of
> the USB 2 speed figure, but I believe it's 480Mbps.)

On my PowerBook 17", the 1Ghz model, I have USB 2.0 and the connection
is more squared compared to USB 1.0. In System Profiler it only shows
three USB all stating 12Mbs, but the manual states I have USB 2.0.

I thought all USB 2.0 were the same. Meaning a USB 1.0 connection
wouldn't fit in USB 2.0.
0
Chey
3/2/2004 1:48:02 AM
USB 1.0, 1.1, and 2.0 are all the same connectors on the computers (slim
rectangular slot).  It is important to note that there are the A and B
connectors though and, of course, there are the "mini" connectors on
many digital cameras, flash devices, etc.  As mentioned before, you will
need to look it up in the System Profiler or just plug something and try
transferring across (you will notice the difference between 480Mbps and
12 or 1.5Mbps - all theoretical, of course).  It's funny that your
Profiler would say USB 1.1 speeds, when it most certainly should have
USB 2.0 (according to Apple's website and your manual).  Funny stuff...

Chey wrote:
> In <250220041527455603%garner@netstreet.net> Garner Miller  wrote:
>
>>In article <f0a79190.0402251052.2265babc@posting.google.com>, anthony
>><ajc1961@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>

>>>How can I tell if the USB ports on my G4 are USB 1 or 2?
>>
>>Run the System Profiler application.  Click USB, then USB Bus.  If it
>>saya "Up to 12 Mb/sec," you have USB 1.1.  If it's something higher
>>than that, it's USB 2.  (As I don't have USB 2, I'm not positive of
>>the USB 2 speed figure, but I believe it's 480Mbps.)
>>

> On my PowerBook 17", the 1Ghz model, I have USB 2.0 and the connection
> is more squared compared to USB 1.0. In System Profiler it only shows
> three USB all stating 12Mbs, but the manual states I have USB 2.0.
>
> I thought all USB 2.0 were the same. Meaning a USB 1.0 connection
> wouldn't fit in USB 2.0.
0
Jason
3/2/2004 2:39:33 AM
I wanted to add another note about this since I finally got my PowerBook
back (15" FW800).  In my System Profile under USB I have the following:
- USB Bus
   - Up to 12 Mb/sec
   - Product ID: 32773
   - Bluetooth HCI
     - Up to 12 Mb/sec
     - Product ID: 33283
- USB Bus
   - Up to 12 Mb/sec
   - Product ID: 32773
- USB Bus
   - Up to 12 Mb/sec
   - Product ID: 32773
- USB High-Speed Bus
   - Up to 480 Mb/sec
   - Product ID: 32774

The 15" has built-in bluetooth and a single USB port on either side (3
in all).
Are you sure your 17" does not have this final entry as well?

>> On my PowerBook 17", the 1Ghz model, I have USB 2.0 and the connection
>> is more squared compared to USB 1.0. In System Profiler it only shows
>> three USB all stating 12Mbs, but the manual states I have USB 2.0.
>>
>> I thought all USB 2.0 were the same. Meaning a USB 1.0 connection
>> wouldn't fit in USB 2.0.
0
Jason