Setting up a printer

Hi,

I've recently purchased a Mac Mini, which is now installed into my Windows
workgroup and is working pretty much perfectly. However, I need some further
assistance regarding setting up my network printer.

I have an old workhorse HP LaserJet 5 which is connected to the network via
a NetGear print server with an IP address of 192.168.0.2. When I went into
System Preferences to add the printer, the Mac Mini found the network
printer straightaway and then asked me what driver to install. I followed
the instructions and installed the nearest one I could find:

HP LaserJet 5 series - Gimp-Print v5.0.0-beta2

However, when I try to print to it, it just prints garbage. Back in the
Windows world, I'd immediately think that I was using the wrong driver - is
this the case here? If so is it just a matter of finding a Mac driver for
this printer?

Any assistance gratefully received.

Mark

0
Mark
3/15/2006 7:38:52 AM
comp.sys.mac.hardware 1561 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

"Mark Rae" <mark@markN-O-S-P-A-M.co.uk> wrote in message

> Any assistance gratefully received.

Still can't get this fixed - can anyone help...?

0
Mark
3/19/2006 7:09:19 PM
On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 02:38:52 -0500, Mark Rae wrote
(in article <gwPRf.36148$wl.21109@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>):

> Hi,
>
> I've recently purchased a Mac Mini, which is now installed into my Windows
> workgroup and is working pretty much perfectly. However, I need some further
> assistance regarding setting up my network printer.
>
> I have an old workhorse HP LaserJet 5

A 5, a 5M, a 5P, a 5L, a 5si, or what? This is important.

> which is connected to the network via
> a NetGear print server with an IP address of 192.168.0.2.

I take it that there's no built-in ethernet on this printer? Sounds like a 5L
or a 5P. This could be bad.

> When I went into
> System Preferences to add the printer, the Mac Mini found the network
> printer straightaway and then asked me what driver to install. I followed
> the instructions and installed the nearest one I could find:
>
> HP LaserJet 5 series - Gimp-Print v5.0.0-beta2
>
> However, when I try to print to it, it just prints garbage. Back in the
> Windows world, I'd immediately think that I was using the wrong driver - is
> this the case here?

could be. The 5M and the 5si (if you have enough RAM installed) know
PostScript. The 5, the 5L, and the 5P don't. The driver could be sending
PostScript to a HPL printer.

> If so is it just a matter of finding a Mac driver for
> this printer?

There's an Official HP Driver (tm) for the 5 or 5M at
<http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc
=us&prodNameId=15096&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=25509&swLang=8&taskId=135&s
wEnvOID=219>

"J.J. O'Shea" <try.not.to@but.see.sig> wrote in message

>> I have an old workhorse HP LaserJet 5
>
> A 5, a 5M, a 5P, a 5L, a 5si, or what? This is important.

Just exactly that - an HP LaserJet 5.
http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/laser-printer/hp-laserjet-5/hp_laserjet_5.pdf

>> which is connected to the network via
>> a NetGear print server with an IP address of 192.168.0.2.

> I take it that there's no built-in ethernet on this printer?

No - like I said, it's connected to my network via a NetGear print server.

>Sounds like a 5L or a 5P.

Just a plain old 5 - see above.

> There's an Official HP Driver (tm) for the 5 or 5M at
> <http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc
> =us&prodNameId=15096&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=25509&swLang=8&taskId=135&s
> wEnvOID=219>

Ah - I'll try that - thanks.

0
Mark