Shuffle error flashing lights! Won't sync, won't play...

Have had a Shuffle for a few weeks.  Worked with Itunes just fine.  About a
week ago, I bought a regular G4 20GB Ipod and installed it.  Also great with
Itunes; no problems.

Today, I tried to update the songs on the Shuffle.  (The Shuffle appears in
the left hand pane as one icon, the 20GB Ipod appears as another one.)  The
update seems to go OK but when I tried to play the songs from the Shuffle, I
got no sound and only flashing red and green lights.  This, I see in Ipod
HELP, is an error message.  In Itunes, next to the # of each song supposedly
in the Shuffle, is a little grey dot.  I read that this means that Itunes
cannot sync with the Shuffle.

It is possible that I have done something or something has happened to make
the Shuffle inoperable.  Or, it is possible that this was the first time I
tried to update the songs on it since I installed the 20GB Ipod.

Can you run a Shuffle and an Ipod off the same Itunes?  If so, are there any
special settings you have to take care of?

I have "reset" the Shuffle (turn it on and off), upgraded its operating
system to 1.1 and restored it to factory settings, using the Apple
downloaded updater.

I would like both the shuffle and the ipod to sync and work right from my
copy of Itunes, depending on which one is attached to the USB port.  But
right now, the Shuffle won't sync.  Ideas?  Solutions?  I have searched
Apple Ipod HELP but can't find anything about this.

Dell PC, Windows XP Home.

mack
austin

0
Mack
4/18/2005 2:52:51 AM
comp.sys.mac.hardware 1561 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Finally, last night, I got it to work.  But have no earthly idea how or why.
Was screwing around trying to find a setting for AUTOFILL vs. MANUAL (never
could), changed the AUTOFILL setting from "Library" to another playlist,
then tried again to drag and drop from a playlist into the Shuffle icon with
the Shuffle attached to the computer.  And it worked.  Instead of just
putting the songs in the shuffle playlist, it actually copied them into it,
one by one.  Was I just pointing my mouse curser better?  I have no idea.

mack
austin

"Mack McKinnon" <MckinnonRemoveThis@tvadmanDeleteThisAsWell.com> wrote in
message news:7iF8e.7588$h6.138@tornado.texas.rr.com...
> Have had a Shuffle for a few weeks.  Worked with Itunes just fine.  About
> week ago, I bought a regular G4 20GB Ipod and installed it.  Also great
> with
> Itunes; no problems.
>
> Today, I tried to update the songs on the Shuffle.  (The Shuffle appears
> in
> the left hand pane as one icon, the 20GB Ipod appears as another one.)
> The
> update seems to go OK but when I tried to play the songs from the Shuffle,
> got no sound and only flashing red and green lights.  This, I see in Ipod
> HELP, is an error message.  In Itunes, next to the # of each song
> supposedly
> in the Shuffle, is a little grey dot.  I read that this means that Itunes
> cannot sync with the Shuffle.
>
> It is possible that I have done something or something has happened to
> make
> the Shuffle inoperable.  Or, it is possible that this was the first time I
> tried to update the songs on it since I installed the 20GB Ipod.
>
> Can you run a Shuffle and an Ipod off the same Itunes?  If so, are there
> any
> special settings you have to take care of?
>
> I have "reset" the Shuffle (turn it on and off), upgraded its operating
> system to 1.1 and restored it to factory settings, using the Apple
> downloaded updater.
>
> I would like both the shuffle and the ipod to sync and work right from my
> copy of Itunes, depending on which one is attached to the USB port.  But
> right now, the Shuffle won't sync.  Ideas?  Solutions?  I have searched
> Apple Ipod HELP but can't find anything about this.
>
> Dell PC, Windows XP Home.
>
> mack
> austin

0
Mack

Willie won't, Willie won't, won't go!
Ah yes, some 70s nostalgia tunes. ...

Files won't display, directory won't delete, drive won't format
After having a few slow-access problems, I ran a virus scan (McAfee) on my D: drive (second HDD, 15Gb). To my surprise, the scan listed a directory and files which I didn't recognise: I didn't note any full pathnames, but a typical one was something like D:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21... Dd159.zip . I wondered if this was anything to do with the Recycle bin, despite the fact that I'd emptied it immediately before the scan. No viruses were detected, but when I ran an error check I got the message "the scan could not be completed". As a precaution I decided to ba...

DVD Won't Enter, Won't Exit
Greetings, all. Long time no see. I have an iMac G5 c. Dec. 2004. A few minutes ago, I inserted a DVD, but it seems not to have mounted in the drive. The disk is just barely too far inside the machine to reach. It's not visible from the outside at all. I've gently tried to insert a second disk, hoping to push the first one all the way in, but it won't budge. I tried restarting the computer with the eject key depressed, and heard the drive trying to eject something, but, again, the disk didn't seem to move. Any ideas, short of reaching in there with a pair of tweez...

4000T won't boot won't POST
I've had this problem for a while. Repair guys (no longer servicing Amiga's) said it was a problem with the motherboard not posting. (I believe this is a PC term) Said he got it working somehow by by-passing SCSI and using only IDE. But when returned it still did not work. Even with a new Power supply, nothing seems to power up. Even the floppy doesn't 'flick' (that funny noise it makes upon power-up) Any help appreciated. thanks Phil "Phil Bastien" <pbastien@nnby.net> ha scritto nel messaggio news:c9qtlu0na3@enews1.newsguy.com... > I've had this problem for a while. Repair guys (no longer servicing Amiga's) > said it was a problem with the motherboard not posting. (I believe this is a > PC term) Said he got it working somehow by by-passing SCSI and using only > IDE. But when returned it still did not work. Are you using an X-Calibur accelerator? It is incompatible with the A4091 and, with my configuration, it hangs just after loading its software, when it resets the Amiga. I am curious about how to bypass the SCSI controller in the A4000T... -- ___ __ / __|___ Daniele Gratteri, Italian Commodore-Amiga user... /// | / |__/ Nickname: FIAT1100D - ICQ: 53943994 Ritmo S75 __ /// | \__|__\ Home page: http://www.gratteri.tk forever! \\\/// \___| E-MAIL: daniele@gratteri.tk ...since 1990 \/// ...

Printer won't print, messages won't delete in WindowsXP Pro
I'm running Windows XP Pro with a Lexmark Z22 printer. Often when I try to print, the printing notification widow pops up. As usual, I hear "Printing started," but nothing happens while the seconds are ticking away on the clock. If I try to cancel the job, then check the printing queue, the job is still there, marked "Deleting." The only way to get it to print is to restart, then it works (until the next time). The only way to delete the unsuccessful print job is to go into task manager under Processes and try to guess which process to delete. This works, when I g...

database layouts won't print, now database won't open
using Mac OS 10.3.4, filemaker pro 7. working with a database converted from filemaker 3. Everything seemed to be fine. Created a new table and imported data into that from another Filemaker 3 database (someone else created these). Layouts were created very easilly. I go to print a layout (label) and choose ALL and it will only print one record, no matter what I put in the print dialogue box. Open other databases and they all printed fine in similar layouts. Tried to "recover' it, thinking it was somehow corrupted (the woman was having a hard time printing it. I thought it was...

LifeDrive
Is there any pattern behind the periodic refusal of a LifeDrive to turn on? So far I've experienced four different LifeDrives, and so far three of them have had this problem; the latest was replaced by Palm with a new model only this morning... The symptoms are the LD suddenly turning itself off. Battery condition is irrelvant - it's happened when fully charged, as well as after some time being used. The LD then won't turn on, and, although a reset will at first bring it back, the frequency of auto turning off increases rapidly, and very soon even a reset won't brin...

Versamail won't sync 'other' folders
I (believe that I) have VersaMail set up correctly on my Zire 71. I am using Softlick PPP to connect to my network while plugged in via USB. I am able to successfuly sync the "Inbox" on my home IMAP server with my Palm, but I cannot seem to sync any other folders. I have found the VersaMail users' guide online, and have followed the steps listed for syncing folders (wirelessly, though I am using a wire...). The instructions said to create a folder in VersaMail that matched the name of the remote folder, then Sync the folders during a "Get Mail" operation. When...

DTD won't parse, don't understand the error messages
I have (obviously) an error in my DTD. Different parsers give me different error messages, but none of them help me understand the problem or how to fix it. sgmls says 'onsgmls:<URL>http://bowyer.journeyman.cc/adl/stable/adl/ schemas/adl-1.4.dtd:483:27:E: "canonical" is not a reserved name' Xerces says 'http://bowyer.journeyman.cc/adl/stable/adl/schemas/ adl-1.4.dtd:483:28:Parse Error: the attribute type is required in the declaration of the attribute "sequence" for the element "order". What's actually there at 483 is: <!ELEMENT order (documentation?)> <!ATTLIST order property CDATA #REQUIRED sequence %Sequences; #IMPLIED> where Sequences is defined at line 174 as <!-- sequences for orderings of lists - see entity 'order' canonical: Whatever the normal canonical ordering for this datatype is - typically alpha-numeric, except for dates, etc. reverse-canonical: The reverse of the above possibly there should be some further values but I have no idea what these are --> <!ENTITY % Sequences "canonical|reverse-canonical"> Ideally I'd like not only to know how to fix it, but to understand why it's wrong in order that I don't make the same mistake again. Thanks! -- ;; Semper in faecibus sumus, sole profundam variat 20 Jun 2010 14:53:22 GMT, /Simon Brooke/: > Xerces says 'http://bowyer.journe...

HELP: Classic Won't Launch - Problems Have Escalated
System: MDD DP with OS 10.4.8. Three physical HD's. Two with Tiger installed (one is the major HD and the other is the emergency boot drive with just a virgin system on it) and one with just games, no OS. I tried to boot into OS 9.2.2 (this particular G4 is OS 9.2.2 bootable), It boots but once the desktop appears moving the mouse over the menu bar has no effect. Menus don't pull down and the only way to shutdown is via a hard shutdown. When I try Target Disk Mode with an iBook G4, the only drive that mounts is the games drive which has no system on it. I can't get the opitcal dri...

Print Spooler won't start; dependent on lexbces.exe but that won't start either; So why?
Windows XP Home SP2 I have two Lexmark printers installed (or at least I used to). Actually, I have the Lexmark folders in Program Files, but the printers don't seem to be installed anymore. The printers are Lexmark 640 series Lexmark 2400 series They pretty much worked until just now. In the Printer and Faxes folder I only see the Add Printer and nothing else. When I try to start Add Printer, I get an alert saying the Printer Spool service isn't running. When I go to (run) services.msc , I find that Print Spooler is stopped. (It's stopped and) It won'...

mac won't boot...memberd[58] can't find root user
I am not much of a mac user but was given the task of getting postgresql and an application working on a G4. I successfully installed postgresql from the sourceforge package and got this java application running. The only thing I can think that i did other than the postgresql install is that I reset the root passwd. Everything was working great until I rebooted this morning. The gray screen with the apple appears with the progress pinwheel and nothing happens. I was not able to boot into safe mode. I was able to boot in singleuser mode. When I try and startup from there I see this repeate...

Problem updating bios V20Z. SP went ok, bios won't go and machines won't start anymore
Hi, Got three V20Z's here, which needed a SP/BIOS update. All updated to 2.4.0.10 SP without problem One of them updated BIOS to 1.35.2.2 without problem. The other two didn't want there BIOS updated. What even makes it worse is that they won't start at all anymore! Tried all sort's of things, resetting SP, clearing CMOS, reverting SP to older versios, etc. etc. Nothing which solved it This is what it shows when I try to update localhost $ platform set os state update-bios /mnt/sw_images/platform/firmware/bios/V1.35.2.2/bios.sp This command may take several minutes. Plea...

Ubuntu Lurid crapware: "extremely disappointing...won't boot...won't recover...no terminal mode... Nothing"
#1167 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1465548&page=117 Linux == guaranteed disappointment. On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 12:17:41 -0400, DFS wrote: > #1167 at > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1465548&page=117 > > > Linux == guaranteed disappointment. No, it doesn't. -- Rick On 2010-07-06, the following emerged from the brain of Rick: > On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 12:17:41 -0400, DFS wrote: > >> #1167 at >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1465548&page=117 >> >> >> Linux == guaranteed disappointment. > > No, it doesn't. Indeed it doesn't. It's a very good kernel! -- BOFH excuse #337: the butane lighter causes the pincushioning On 06-07-10 18:40, Rick wrote: > On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 12:17:41 -0400, DFS wrote: > >> #1167 at >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1465548&page=117 >> >> >> Linux == guaranteed disappointment. Lie! > > No, it doesn't. Fact is that all recent GNU/Linux releases kick Microsoft Windows 7's ass in stability, usability, hardware support, (lower) resources requirement and price. Of course a lying Astroturfer like DFS can't have that and thus spreads misinformation. -- |_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin, alias ML2MST |_|_|0| Registered GNU/Linux user 513040 |0|0|0| http://www.soundclick.com/martivanlin Rick wrote: >> Linux == guaranteed disappointment. ...

Karmic Krapware: "no sound...no video... lost the GUI... USB stick won't work...won't shutdown properly"
"All upgraded OK, but then noticed no sound, and no video. After following some online advice with hardware drivers tried to update Nvidia, and I then lost the GUI. Can get back by editing out Nvidia for Vesa in xorg.conf, but have to each time I start, and graphics too low to run much. Was going to back a few things up and re-install Jaunty, and now find USB memory stick will not work. Tried downloading and installing latest Nvidia driver, but got lots of error messages regarding kernels and headers that I can't resolve. Now will not even shutdown properly." #764 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1305924&highlight=Karmic+freeze&page=77 Linux is a never-ending litany of woes. You almost have to feel sorry for the hobby-slopware victims. Then again, it's just their playtime toy tinkering that's being ruined. "DFS" <nospam@dfs_.com> writes: > "All upgraded OK, but then noticed no sound, and no video. After > following So after the OK upgrade he "then" noticed no sound or video. Wow. What an astute guy! On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 15:07:12 +0100, Hadron wrote: > "DFS" <nospam@dfs_.com> writes: > >> "All upgraded OK, but then noticed no sound, and no video. After >> following > > So after the OK upgrade he "then" noticed no sound or video. > > Wow. > > What an astute guy! Maybe he is deaf and blind? They seem to be...

Ubuntu Lurid crapware: "random freezes...get new kernel...now wireless won't work...drivers won't activate"
"Darnit. I've been having the same problems with ubuntu just not responding. I tried updating to the latest kernel, did it but now my wireless won't work. And the drivers won't active. I'm wondering if this problem is happening while I'm running transmission.... If not I hope they release the fix in 10.04.1" #604 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1478787&page=61 Keep hope alive! What you're experiencing is the result of low pay, laziness and apathy, traits common amongst Linux "developers". ...

korganizer icon won't 'stick' in sys. tray upon start-up.
Running new Kanotix, kde 3.4.x I open korganizer (calendar) and I get the blue icon (with bell) in system tray. I right click to start daemon at start-up. I have KDE session manager set to "restore previous session'. I logout and back in and no icon... no calendar. I also tried setting it it "restore manally saved" session but that didn't work either. Is there some setting I forgot? Is there something I need to do to make this 'stick' ???? It works on my Debian box, but not on this laptop. Thanks, Al ...

Can't understand why this won't compile
The problem code: // line 0 template <class T, T* (T::*C)(void) const> class cc { }; // line 6 class e { public: virtual e *clone(void) const; cc<e,&clone> ee(void) const; }; This code causes problems with both Visual C++ 7 (2003) and g++ 2.96. With VC, I get the following error message: c:\Documents and Settings\CJ\My Documents\Projects\Project Grapher\Source Code\Expression.cpp(22): fatal error C1001: INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR (compiler file 'msc1.cpp', line 2701) Please choose the Technical Support command on the Visual C++ Help menu, or open the Technical Support help file for more information In g++, I get two different results. Whith the code above, I get the following: test.cpp:12: invalid use of undefined type `class e' test.cpp:8: forward declaration of `class e' test.cpp:12: template argument 2 is invalid test.cpp:12: ISO C++ forbids declaration of `ee' with no type When using &e::clone instead of &clone, g++ reports: test.cpp:12: Internal error: Segmentation fault. (with the same change, VC still has an internal compiler error) Unless, for some reason, I really can't use e from within e (which I know can't be right), I can't see the reason for these error messages. Anyone know what's going on? Should this code not compile anyway? Thanks for you time -CJ contact: http://stude...

Can't shutdown. Won't shutdown.
My Mac Mini, version OSX 10.4.9, refuses to shut down correctly. The monitor displays a grey screen telling me I must switch off the Mini using the power button. I humbly obey but, when I switch on again, an annoying message tells me that the damned thing shut down unexpectedly. A minor and trivial niggle, I'm sure, but is there anything I can do to sort it? "Davo" <u33430@uwe> writes: >My Mac Mini, version OSX 10.4.9, refuses to shut down correctly. The monitor >displays a grey screen telling me I must switch off the Mini using the power >button. This sounds ...

Ubuntu Lurid crapware: "most problematic yet...nothing but a headache...won't automount external drives...won't recognize CD/DVD...Firefox drops connectivity"
"I have been using Ubuntu since Intrepid, and this has been by far the most problematic version yet! I had the best luck with Jaunty, but Karmic had the safely remove hardware option. Since Lucid is a "LTS" version I figured that I would be trouble free for 3 years... The first thing that was more of an annoyance was that the min. max., and close buttons were all on the left side. I remember a poll here where something like 75% of the people didn't like it. I was hoping that the Beta version would have gotten rid of it, but they didn't. It's not that big of a deal to switch, but it was annoying having all the other tabs like in Firefox on the right, and windows in VB on the right as well. The volume button at the top of the panel went MIA. It won't automount external hard drives. Won't auto recognise CDs or DVDs. Firefox seems to loose connectivity for no reason. This might be a wireless issue in Lucid itself. There was a thread on it a day or so ago. I had to recompile the Virtual Box Kernel so that it would load. After doing so I had to reconfig everything! Now it gives me some BS that this version is not suitable for production use... It also messed with my Compiz settings (which is nothing new). After burning a disc it says to eject it manually. I was hoping that updates would fix some of these problems, but they only caused more. After doing some updates everything I download is "locked". If Transmission i...

Article: ... Longhorn
Bill Gates: Microsoft 'working hard' on Longhorn - 'won't be a radical shift' just 'an improvement' http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/4866/ ----- Start Quotes ----- "Microsoft Corp. Chairman Bill Gates said current Internet search-engine technology is 'a joke,' and promised better features in two to three years. But the head of the software giant, in an event on the sidelines of the World Economic Forum here late Friday, acknowledged that Microsoft had stumbled in its own search-engine efforts. He said the company had been 'stupid as hell' to let Google take the lead in the search market," Peter Loftus and Taska Manzaroli report for Dow Jones Newswires. "Separately, Gates said Microsoft was 'certainly working hard' to release a new computer operating system, dubbed Longhorn, in 2006. 'It won't be a radical shift, but it will be clearly an improvement on Windows,' the ubiquitous operating system, Gates ----- End Quotes ----- Does MS have the money to toss into Longhorn and search technologies to play catch-up with Apple and Google? Probably the first iteration of both Longhorn and their search technologies will suck, but enough people will foolishly buy into it, and by version 4, each will be pretty good. -- Picture of a tuna soda: http://snipurl.com/bid1 Feel free to ask for the recipe. In article <BE230F2D.1E4A4%SNIT@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID>, Snit <SNIT@CABLE0NE....

Optionmenu won't 'justify'
Hello- I am building an application in Perl/Tk and cannot get Optionmenus to justify. I have searched around and can find no reference to this being a known bug. Am I overlooking something? Or do optionmenus not justify? The following code demonstrates that the current option is centered on the button and will not right justify. Likewise the additional options in the dropdown are left justified and will not right justify. -------------------------------------- #!/usr/bin/perl use Tk; use strict; use warnings; my $mw = MainWindow->new; my $frame = $mw->Frame->...

Memo's won't sync
I'm using memo plus and just installed palm desktop 4.2.1 now my memos won't sync. I've tried handheld overwrites desktop, syncronize and desktop overwrites handheld. Nothing. Any ideas? On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 15:10:32 GMT, elvisp@compuserve.com had this to say... > I'm using memo plus and just installed palm desktop 4.2.1 now my memos > won't sync. I've tried handheld overwrites desktop, syncronize and > desktop overwrites handheld. Nothing. > > Any ideas? > > You have the wrong conduit active. <http://tinyurl.com/5b78...

MP4's Won't Play
....on my MacBook Pro. Several others can play MP4's. All are running Leopard, all have QT Pro, and all have the same extensions in /Library/Quicktime. So what's up? TIA Davoud -- usenet *at* davidillig dawt com In article <040620082013137058%star@sky.net>, Davoud <star@sky.net> wrote: > ...on my MacBook Pro. Several others can play MP4's. All are running > Leopard, all have QT Pro, and all have the same extensions in > /Library/Quicktime. > > So what's up? > > TIA > Davoud: Not sure, but some things to check include: Does it not...

Web resources about - Shuffle error flashing lights! Won't sync, won't play... - comp.sys.mac.hardware