[highly political] Am I the only one here to think (state) that the removal of mag safe is (extremely) dumb move?

the subject asks it all
0
aglyport
12/14/2016 11:37:49 AM
comp.sys.mac.misc 7155 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

On 14/12/2016 11:37, aglyport@gmail.com wrote:
> the subject asks it all

Generally I've only heard vague disappointment, tempered by the
convenience of being able to plug the charger in either side, and the
relative cheapness and greater availability of new/additional USB-C
power cables when required.
0
Calum
12/14/2016 12:09:28 PM
On Wednesday, December 14, 2016 at 3:09:30 PM UTC+3, Calum wrote:
> On 14/12/2016 11:37, aglyport@gmail.com wrote:
> > the subject asks it all
>
> Generally I've only heard vague disappointment, tempered by the
> convenience of being able to plug the charger in either side, and the
> relative cheapness and greater availability of new/additional USB-C
> power cables when required.

I use macbook (pro) primarily in bed as a very compact mini theatre,
often tethered to a power supply.
Given that the usb-c in my application is likely to bend, break and otherwise faile
I *had* to ask.
0
aglyport
12/14/2016 12:16:32 PM
On 2016-12-14, aglyport@gmail.com <aglyport@gmail.com> wrote:
> the subject asks it all

Meh. Though I certainly appreciate MagSafe, in the grand scheme of
things, it's not a big deal to me. I get the impression most Mac users I
know feel similarly. I'm sure Apple has good reasons for omitting it. If
you really want MagSafe with a new MacBook Pro, third parties are
offering solutions:

<https://griffintechnology.com/us/breaksafe-magnetic-usb-c-power-cable>

JR
0
Jolly
12/14/2016 4:03:01 PM
On Wed, 14 Dec 2016 11:03:01 -0500, Jolly Roger wrote
(in article <ebd8plFgg8sU1@mid.individual.net>):

> On 2016-12-14, aglyport@gmail.com <aglyport@gmail.com> wrote:
>> the subject asks it all
>
> Meh. Though I certainly appreciate MagSafe, in the grand scheme of
> things, it's not a big deal to me. I get the impression most Mac users I
> know feel similarly. I'm sure Apple has good reasons for omitting it. If
> you really want MagSafe with a new MacBook Pro, third parties are
> offering solutions:
>
> <https://griffintechnology.com/us/breaksafe-magnetic-usb-c-power-cable>

While it doesn't happen often, I occasionally catch my foot in the
power cable.  Prior to mag-safe, the computer would hit the floor,
denting it, cracking it, or worse.  Now the mag-safe just disconnects.
I would guess it has saved me floor impacts 5-10 times over the life of
this MacBook Pro.  Not a lot but once is worth it.

Accidents happen.  If Apple ever makes cars it will probably remove the
airbags to make the steering wheels thinner.

--
Nelson

0
Nelson
12/15/2016 10:01:41 AM
On 2016 Dec 14, aglyport@gmail.com wrote
(in article<6e5b8621-78ef-4fa8-97e5-c2ee7cd0619f@googlegroups.com>):

> the subject asks it all

I don’t think that removing MagSafe is a good idea, either.

0
Wolffan
12/17/2016 10:34:57 AM
There is one advantage; you no longer have to buy chargers from
Apple, at Apple prices.
David
12/17/2016 6:51:24 PM
In article <o341fc$4sc$2@reader1.panix.com>, David Lesher
<wb8foz@panix.com> wrote:

> There is one advantage; you no longer have to buy chargers from
> Apple, at Apple prices.

a huge advantage.
0
nospam
12/17/2016 6:53:54 PM
In article <o341fc$4sc$2@reader1.panix.com>,
 David Lesher <wb8foz@panix.com> wrote:

> There is one advantage; you no longer have to buy chargers from
> Apple, at Apple prices.

Another advantage: My very old Mac Book's battery went bad and the
screen is failing, so I now use it as a desktop with a monitor and
bluetooth mouse and keyboard. I occasionally bump the mag safe
connection and crash it at whatever it is doing. I may have to duct tape
or glue it in place.
0
Mark