Canon MX870 Multifunction Printer/Scanner & OS 10.6.4

I just installed a new Canon MX870 with the following conditions:
1. Two Macs, both at 10.6.4
2. Canon is connected to the LAN
3. All functions on the Canon work great (scanner, printer) on both Macs 
under my admin account.
4. On both Macs, access to the scanner using Canon's app does not 
function under a standard user account, whether I give the account admin 
rights or not.
5. Canon thought it might be fixed by doing a repair disk permissions 
under the disk utility. This did not fix the problem.
6. BTW, I get the same error using VueScan; i.e scanner is not attached

I suspect that a driver or other critical file for the scanner might 
have the incorrect permissions, just don't know what/where it might be.

Any help, suggestions appreciated.
0
msees (2)
9/17/2010 11:41:37 AM
comp.sys.mac.misc 7054 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

5 Replies
183 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 42
In article <DN2dnf-rJOVvzg7RnZ2dnUVZ_tSdnZ2d@entouch.net>,
 Myron Sees <msees@entouch.net> wrote:

> I just installed a new Canon MX870 with the following conditions:
> 1. Two Macs, both at 10.6.4
> 2. Canon is connected to the LAN
> 3. All functions on the Canon work great (scanner, printer) on both Macs 
> under my admin account.
> 4. On both Macs, access to the scanner using Canon's app does not 
> function under a standard user account, whether I give the account admin 
> rights or not.
> 5. Canon thought it might be fixed by doing a repair disk permissions 
> under the disk utility. This did not fix the problem.
> 6. BTW, I get the same error using VueScan; i.e scanner is not attached
> 
> I suspect that a driver or other critical file for the scanner might 
> have the incorrect permissions, just don't know what/where it might be.
> 
> Any help, suggestions appreciated.

You failed to mention the actual error.

-- 
Send responses to the relevant news group rather than email to me.
E-mail sent to this address may be devoured by my very hungry SPAM
filter. Due to Google's refusal to prevent spammers from posting
messages through their servers, I often ignore posts from Google
Groups. Use a real news client if you want me to see your posts.

JR
0
jollyroger (11010)
9/17/2010 1:13:51 PM
On 9/17/10 8:13 AM, Jolly Roger wrote:
> In article<DN2dnf-rJOVvzg7RnZ2dnUVZ_tSdnZ2d@entouch.net>,
>   Myron Sees<msees@entouch.net>  wrote:
>
>> I just installed a new Canon MX870 with the following conditions:
>> 1. Two Macs, both at 10.6.4
>> 2. Canon is connected to the LAN
>> 3. All functions on the Canon work great (scanner, printer) on both Macs
>> under my admin account.
>> 4. On both Macs, access to the scanner using Canon's app does not
>> function under a standard user account, whether I give the account admin
>> rights or not.
>> 5. Canon thought it might be fixed by doing a repair disk permissions
>> under the disk utility. This did not fix the problem.
>> 6. BTW, I get the same error using VueScan; i.e scanner is not attached
>>
>> I suspect that a driver or other critical file for the scanner might
>> have the incorrect permissions, just don't know what/where it might be.
>>
>> Any help, suggestions appreciated.
>
> You failed to mention the actual error.
>
The actual error message is:

Cannot communicate with scanner. Scanner driver will close. 2.1.0

What is interesting that while the system indicates that it cannot 
communicate with the scanner, via the same path it communicates just 
fine with the printer.
0
msees (2)
9/17/2010 1:28:35 PM
In article <BYednSGtqbCe8A7RnZ2dnUVZ_hadnZ2d@entouch.net>,
 Myron Sees <msees@entouch.net> wrote:

> On 9/17/10 8:13 AM, Jolly Roger wrote:
> > In article<DN2dnf-rJOVvzg7RnZ2dnUVZ_tSdnZ2d@entouch.net>,
> >   Myron Sees<msees@entouch.net>  wrote:
> >
> >> I just installed a new Canon MX870 with the following conditions:
> >> 1. Two Macs, both at 10.6.4
> >> 2. Canon is connected to the LAN
> >> 3. All functions on the Canon work great (scanner, printer) on both Macs
> >> under my admin account.
> >> 4. On both Macs, access to the scanner using Canon's app does not
> >> function under a standard user account, whether I give the account admin
> >> rights or not.
> >> 5. Canon thought it might be fixed by doing a repair disk permissions
> >> under the disk utility. This did not fix the problem.
> >> 6. BTW, I get the same error using VueScan; i.e scanner is not attached
> >>
> >> I suspect that a driver or other critical file for the scanner might
> >> have the incorrect permissions, just don't know what/where it might be.
> >>
> >> Any help, suggestions appreciated.
> >
> > You failed to mention the actual error.
> >
> The actual error message is:
> 
> Cannot communicate with scanner. Scanner driver will close. 2.1.0
> 
> What is interesting that while the system indicates that it cannot 
> communicate with the scanner, via the same path it communicates just 
> fine with the printer.

Two or three years ago I spent some hours installing a Canon scanner for 
our secretary.

The bottom line: I had to give administrative privileges to her account, 
and install all software under that account, in a specific order. No 
other way.

_x.
0
9/21/2010 6:08:47 AM
In article 
<Xavier.Lloobet-523F49.08084721092010@84-50-178-128-dsl.est.estpak.ee>,
 Xavier Llobet <Xavier.Lloobet@epfl.ch> wrote:

> In article <BYednSGtqbCe8A7RnZ2dnUVZ_hadnZ2d@entouch.net>,
>  Myron Sees <msees@entouch.net> wrote:
> 
> > On 9/17/10 8:13 AM, Jolly Roger wrote:
> > > In article<DN2dnf-rJOVvzg7RnZ2dnUVZ_tSdnZ2d@entouch.net>,
> > >   Myron Sees<msees@entouch.net>  wrote:
> > >
> > >> I just installed a new Canon MX870 with the following conditions:
> > >> 1. Two Macs, both at 10.6.4
> > >> 2. Canon is connected to the LAN
> > >> 3. All functions on the Canon work great (scanner, printer) on both Macs
> > >> under my admin account.
> > >> 4. On both Macs, access to the scanner using Canon's app does not
> > >> function under a standard user account, whether I give the account admin
> > >> rights or not.
> > >> 5. Canon thought it might be fixed by doing a repair disk permissions
> > >> under the disk utility. This did not fix the problem.
> > >> 6. BTW, I get the same error using VueScan; i.e scanner is not attached
> > >>
> > >> I suspect that a driver or other critical file for the scanner might
> > >> have the incorrect permissions, just don't know what/where it might be.
> > >>
> > >> Any help, suggestions appreciated.
> > >
> > > You failed to mention the actual error.
> > >
> > The actual error message is:
> > 
> > Cannot communicate with scanner. Scanner driver will close. 2.1.0
> > 
> > What is interesting that while the system indicates that it cannot 
> > communicate with the scanner, via the same path it communicates just 
> > fine with the printer.
> 
> Two or three years ago I spent some hours installing a Canon scanner for 
> our secretary.
> 
> The bottom line: I had to give administrative privileges to her account, 
> and install all software under that account, in a specific order. No 
> other way.
> 
> _x.

That tells me the problem can likely be solved with a quick chmod 
command in a terminal window.

-- 
Send responses to the relevant news group rather than email to me.
E-mail sent to this address may be devoured by my very hungry SPAM
filter. Due to Google's refusal to prevent spammers from posting
messages through their servers, I often ignore posts from Google
Groups. Use a real news client if you want me to see your posts.

JR
0
jollyroger (11010)
9/21/2010 1:55:33 PM
On 2010-09-21 06:55:33 -0700, Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> said:

> In article
> <Xavier.Lloobet-523F49.08084721092010@84-50-178-128-dsl.est.estpak.ee>,
>  Xavier Llobet <Xavier.Lloobet@epfl.ch> wrote:
> 
>> In article <BYednSGtqbCe8A7RnZ2dnUVZ_hadnZ2d@entouch.net>,
>> Myron Sees <msees@entouch.net> wrote:
>> 
>>> On 9/17/10 8:13 AM, Jolly Roger wrote:
>>>> In article<DN2dnf-rJOVvzg7RnZ2dnUVZ_tSdnZ2d@entouch.net>,
>>>> Myron Sees<msees@entouch.net>  wrote:
>>>> 
>>>>> I just installed a new Canon MX870 with the following conditions:
>>>>> 1. Two Macs, both at 10.6.4
>>>>> 2. Canon is connected to the LAN
>>>>> 3. All functions on the Canon work great (scanner, printer) on both Macs
>>>>> under my admin account.
>>>>> 4. On both Macs, access to the scanner using Canon's app does not
>>>>> function under a standard user account, whether I give the account admin
>>>>> rights or not.
>>>>> 5. Canon thought it might be fixed by doing a repair disk permissions
>>>>> under the disk utility. This did not fix the problem.
>>>>> 6. BTW, I get the same error using VueScan; i.e scanner is not attached
>>>>> 
>>>>> I suspect that a driver or other critical file for the scanner might
>>>>> have the incorrect permissions, just don't know what/where it might be.
>>>>> 
>>>>> Any help, suggestions appreciated.
>>>> 
>>>> You failed to mention the actual error.
>>>> 
>>> The actual error message is:
>>> 
>>> Cannot communicate with scanner. Scanner driver will close. 2.1.0
>>> 
>>> What is interesting that while the system indicates that it cannot
>>> communicate with the scanner, via the same path it communicates just
>>> fine with the printer.
>> 
>> Two or three years ago I spent some hours installing a Canon scanner for
>> our secretary.
>> 
>> The bottom line: I had to give administrative privileges to her account,
>> and install all software under that account, in a specific order. No
>> other way.
>> 
>> _x.
> 
> That tells me the problem can likely be solved with a quick chmod
> command in a terminal window.

Under 10.6, the scanner portion of the MX870 shows as a separate device 
in the Print & Fax section of System Preferences. Be sure to set it up 
the same way you did the printer portion of the device.
-- 
Bream Rockmetteller
Donaldson's Dog Joy
509-450-0301

0
10/16/2010 4:25:37 AM
Reply:
Similar Artilces:

When Does Canon Announce New Printers?
Anyone know when Canon might announce a newer version of the MP780 all-in-one? Included fax software, legal size scanning, full color LCD, and memory card slots might be nice. Are you listening Canon? Coming in October, but no fax function. Too bad. Sounds really nice, but I need on-board fax capability. http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=123&modelid=11996 "Ann Meffert" <annmef1@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:PoIPe.137357$5N3.62347@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net... > Anyone know when Canon might...

Sametime 6.5.1 on Domino 6.5
Hello: I'm sorry for my bad english. I Just installed a Sametime 6.5.1 on a Domino 6.5 without error. Before the installation I had configurated de domino web server on the 8081 port and my users accessed without problem his/her mal databases via web browsers without problem. After I installed the Sametime the logon page just changed and now appears the sematime logon page. If the user write a wrong username or password the sametime login page tells incorrect username or password" but if the user writes a correct username and apssword the sametime logon page rejects ...

Python Ireland November Talks
SGkgQWxsLAoKUHl0aG9uIElyZWxhbmQgcHJlc2VudHMgdGhpcyBtb250aCB0YWxrcyBhdCBUcmlu aXR5IENvbGxlZ2UgKHRoYW5rcyB0bwpCcmlhbiB3aG8gYXJyYW5nZWQgdGhlIHJvb20sIGJ1dCB3 aWxsIG5vdCBiZSBwcmVzZW50IGluIHRoZSBjb3VudHJ5IGF0CnRoYXQgdGltZSwgYnV0IEkgd2ls bCB0cnkgdG8gYmUgdGhlcmUgZWFybHkuKS4KCldoZW46CldlZCAxMHRoIE9jdG9iZXIgMjAwNyAg KDE5OjAwIC0gMjE6MDApCgpXaGVyZToKRGF2aXMgVGhlYXRyZSwgUm9vbSAzMDc0IGluIHRoZSBB cnRzIGJsb2NrCiggTWFwIDogaHR0cDovL3d3dy50Y2QuaWUvTWFwcy9hcnRzX2Jsb2NrLmh0bWwg KQoKVGFsayBkZXRhaWxzOgoxOTowMCAtIDE5OjMwClRvcGljOiBSZWFkaW5nIFB5dGhvbiBDb2Rl ClNwZWFrZXI6IEtldmluIEdpbGwKCjE5OjMwIC0gMjA6MDAKVG9waW...

OS 2 Compatible Network Card
Hi all, Does anyone have a recommendation for a OS2 2.11 - Warp 3 compatible ethernet card for a Fujitsu Scenic 815 tower PC? I had a Trap D recurring error that I think may have to do with 3-com's 3C905C-TX but am not sure, so I want to find a network card that people are happy to install on an OS2 server. On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 10:33:02 -0400, Sio wrote: > Hi all, Does anyone have a recommendation for a OS2 2.11 - Warp 3 > compatible ethernet card for a Fujitsu Scenic 815 tower PC? I had a Trap D > recurring error that I think may have to do with 3-com's 3C905C-TX bu...

Artec and Memorex 48U Scanner Solution
I have had problems with my Memorex 48U scanner in that that Windows XP wouldn't recognize it. Then I tried reinstalling the driver through the CD, reinstalling the driver through control panel, letting WinXP's wizard autodetect the scanner, unplugging and replugging, but to no avail. I kept getting errors messages like "No Twain driver" or "Scanner could not be found". Well after much searching for a solution on newsgroups, I finally found the solution. You must plug in the USB cable into the back of your scanner ALL THE WAY and then the operating syst...

Canon i470
I would like a recommendation for generic ink which is known to be compatible with Canon. Thanks ...

Re: Stacking the data #4
On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 17:08:44 -0500, Randy <randistan69@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote: >The example that I am constructing is that of an auction. "A" and "B" are >events. The first event that occurs is an "A" (Event 1) and it occurs at >10:55 and the price (VarC) is at 4:55. The next event is again "A" (Event >2) at 10:56 and VarC is 4.56. At this point in time (10:56) I need to >know all the events that have occured prior to that point in time. So at >each point in time after each event; I want to know the history of all the >the pr...

Canon iP4300s hugely discounted in Canada... new models must be coming!
I noticed this week that the Canon iP4300s were hugely discounted by some stores in Canada... That can only mean new 2007 models must be coming in September. A while ago they were going for $149 CAD. Dropped occasionally to $129 CAD, and this week I see they're being "dumped" on the market for $89 CAD at Staples/Bureau En Gros stores. That is less than the cost of OEM cartridges for that printer. If the price still looks high by US standards, remember that the Canadian models comes with the CD/DVD printing tray. The US ones don't! -Taliesyn "Taliesyn&q...

Re: how does one move down a column, #10 669026
Peter, For simplicity, I would do everything in the INPUT DATA step. data w ( drop = i ) ; infile cards firstobs = 40 ; input group $30. ; array col (21) ; do i = 1 to dim(col) ; input col[i] comma8. ; end ; cards; <your data> ; This assumes that you know there are exactly 22 rows for each observation. Ian Whitlock ================ Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 14:39:40 -0400 Reply-To: Peter Constantinidis <peter@CONSTANTINIDIS.CA> Sender: "SAS(r) Discussion" From: Peter Constantinidis <pe...

RE: New I-D on using DNS to support Emergency Calls #4
Sorry, I did not understand your goal well enough. Then again, I don't think you can meet your goal with the DNS. The computer which you are sending or receiving email or entering credit card information probably does not have an externally available DNS entry, and the "nearest" (in the Internet sense) one that does is not very close to you (in the postal address sense) in almost every case. Brian > -----Original Message----- > From: Al Costanzo [mailto:al@akc.com] > Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2004 1:53 PM > To: Rosen, Brian; namedroppers@psg....

OSX 10.4 Lame Print Compared to XP Pro
Before the flame starts I have been a Mac user since 1986 but finally had to get a Dell D-600 laptop with XP Pro. I still prefer and use the Mac G4 most of the time; however, the Dell with XP Pro prints circles around the Mac. I don't know if it an OSX issue or a lame HP Photoshop print driver. I suspect the later. If I print a document (like a single page MS Word letter) the Mac seems to think about the command for sometime minutes (not seconds) then the green LED on the HP Photosmart 1115 printer starts flashing and the document finally prints. If I plug the printer USB ca...

Setting Up Microsoft Exchange on Mac OS X Server
Hello, Is it possible to set up an Exchange server using Mac OS X server? If so, I would really appreciate some direction. I've been searching online for ages now. Thanks! In article <2008071602210616807-zanneth@zannethcom>, Charles Magahern <zanneth@zanneth.com> wrote: > Is it possible to set up an Exchange server using Mac OS X server? If > so, I would really appreciate some direction. I've been searching > online for ages now. Microsoft hasn't released a Mac version of their proprietary Exchange server. To be honest, I'm not sure why anyone w...

Regd. Orbix 6.3 idl
Hi All, Iam Using Orbix 6.3 idl to get the java files. With these java files i need Implbase file also. Can anyone suggest the option for this. Thanks in advance Suresh T. Hi Suresh, The Orbix 3 Java IDL compiler generates an abstract _<type>ImplBase Java class, which application code should inherit from to implement a server object. The Orbix 6 ORB is POA based (a newer CORBA specification and replacement for the BOA, which Orbix 3 is based on), and the Orbix 6 Java IDL compiler ("idl -jbase -jpoa") generates a different set of classes. Instead of i...

Cheap Price Fujitsu ScanSnap S1300i Instant PDF Sheet-Fed Mobile Document Scanner
The portable ScanSnap S1300i from Fujitsu provides PC and Mac users the too= ls to be productive and paperless, anywhere. The ScanSnap S1300i is the sma= llest multi-page double-sided ScanSnap scanner for one-button ease of use a= t the desk or on the road. Stack up to 10 pages into the automatic document= feeder (ADF) and press the blue button. Two-Sided Multi-Page Scanning ScanSnap S1300i scans both sides of each page at up to 12 pages per minute = directly to PDF, searchable PDF, JPEG, or to office applications like Word = or Excel. The ScanSnap S1300i automatically recognizes ...

Serial printer in Classic Mode???
I have a G4 Tower (Quicksilver) which is new to me, and an HP 870C printer, which has Parallel and Serial/Appletalk connections. The apps I need to print from are Classic apps (Filemaker Pro and Freehand 5). But how can I? I've tried with the printer connected to the old Beige G3 via Appletalk, but Classic mode can't see that. The printer is also connected to a PC, and the OSX apps and computers can print to it via the PC, but not Classic mode. I've tried a USB to Serial adaptor, one that is supported in both Classic and OSX. Chooser sees the printer, but when I try ...

[News] Knoppix 6.0 Works Well on Sub-notebooks
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1 Knoppix 6.0: Perfect Distro (also for Netbooks) ,----[ Quote ] | Knoppix has always been regarded as one of the most versatile Linux distros | out there, but the latest version of the venerable Live CD Linux distribution | has got yet another trick up its sleeve. Thanks to its excellent hardware | detection, blazingly fast boot process, and the lightweight LXDE desktop | environment, Knoppix 6.0 makes a perfect distro for netbooks. In fact, it | supports all hardware on ASUS Eee PC 701 and 900 as well as Acer Aspire One | right out of the b...

its coming......................................OS XI
..................................................................................... ..................................................................................... ..................................................................................... ..................................................................................... Ooops....no, it's not. ...

[News] Screenshots from Latest KDE 4.0 Build Show Eye Appeal
KDE 4 rev 739732 http://www.jarzebski.pl/read/kde-4-rev-739732.so Yesterday: Plasma Containments (KDE Commit-Digest Issue 85) ,----[ Quote ] | A preview of Containments in Plasma, and other status updates. Recorded by | Aaron Seigo. `---- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGYGzTDHhPg KDE 4.0 RC 1 running on Kubuntu 7.10 ,----[ Quote ] | Having been as excited about KDE 4.0 as most people, I was keen to try the | beta releases, though I didn’t want to compile it myself. Consequently, I | waited for packages to become available for Kubuntu 7.10, as this seems the | most convenient way...

NEED HELP! Hp 48G+ Connection through Printer Port #3
Graphing Calculator HELP! Has anyone every made an HP 48G+ talk to a PC using The printer port? for some reason there is a device occupying my only Physical COM port and i can't turn it off in WinXP, so i purchases a Print/serial connector, so i can connect my HP cable through the device and into the LPT port. Is there a way i can emulate a COM port through an LPT port? or Is there a way i can modify an HP-PC "connect" app to use the LPT for communication? or Is there a way i can tell the "SerialKey" Devices in WinXP to talk through the LPT port? any comment i...

Crystal Reports 10 in Oracle 9i
Hello, I am looking for a Crystal Reports writer (version 10 a plus). I am finding however, that not all Crystal aficionados post themselves on standard job boards like Monster or Careerbuilder. Do you, or someone you know have Crystal Reports (in an Oracle 9i database) and need a position in Massachusetts? Please give me a call at the number below, any info you may have, even on how to track down Crystal users, would be much appreciated! Thanks! Emily McElfresh Recruiter Generation Technologies, Inc. 781-272-3008 emcelfresh@genp.com Emma wrote: > Hello, > I am ...

ANN: pycairo release 1.6.4 now available
Pycairo is a set of Python bindings for the multi-platform 2D graphics library cairo. http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pycairo Overview of changes from pycairo 1.4.0 to pycairo 1.6.4 ======================================================== General changes: Pycairo 1.6.4 requires cairo 1.6.4 (or later) requires Python 2.5 (or later) Bug fixes: 16112: Fix win32 'python setup.py ...' build -- use double quotes New Methods: Context.has_current_point Context.path_extents ImageSurface.format_stride_for_width PSSurface.get_eps PSS...

Question about the waste ink tank in Canon IP5000 (and other Canon printers)
I've read this 'tank' contains ink from the cleaning cycles of the printer, and a cleaning happens automatically every time ink cartridges are replaced. So my question is how many times do I have to replace the cartridges with new ones before an error message appears saying the tank is full? Anyone taken a printer to Canon to have the tank emptied? How much did they charge? The amount of ink consumed in the cleaning cycles when replacing tanks is minimal, but cleaning cycles also occur based upon printer usage, time intervals and when requested by the user. The deep...

Anybody installed new & improved 10.2.8 on a Lombard (Build 6R73)?
Hi, Question asks it all. I installed the origianl 10.2.8 on a TiBook and experienced battery problems. I had held off installing it onto Lombard until the patch came out. Has anyone installed 10.2.8 + patch on a Lombard, 333 MHz / 512 mb RAM (Apple 256 mb and 3rd party 256mn RAM). Any issues? Thanks, HUch -- h u g h c h a l A T e i r c o m D O T n e t ...

Canon Camera Decisions
Hello guys........Canon Camera Decisions Fortunately I have no money free at the moment to pursue a camera, but I am on the hunt so that when I do have the cash flow, I=92ll be able to act almost right away. The Fujifilm S100FS is a bridge camera (I=92ve been calling them semi-compacts until this week, only just found out the correct term). It is almost like an SLR except the lens doesn=92t disconnect. It does the things I want: long zoom, 1cm macro, image stabilisation and so forth. For more reviews : http://www.digitalcamerareviewsblog.com/6530/camera-deci= sions/ Get a quality used dslr i...

Canon Easy WebPrint
There was an autoupdate of Microsoft Internet Explorer last Friday. I assumed that it was the new IE7. The IE7 no longer accepts Canon Easy-WebPrint v. 2.6 any more (I have been using v. 2.64). So far, I was not able to find Easy WePrint for IE7. Could someone point me to where I can download it? Craig "Criag" <machocraig@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:el1msn$e4t$1@iruka.swcp.com... > There was an autoupdate of Microsoft Internet Explorer last Friday. > I assumed that it was the new IE7. > The IE7 no longer accepts Canon Easy-WebPrint v. 2.6 a...