Canon MX870 Multifunction Printer/Scanner & OS 10.6.4

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I just installed a new Canon MX870 with the following conditions:
1. Two Macs, both at 10.6.4
2. Canon is connected to the LAN
3. All functions on the Canon work great (scanner, printer) on both Macs
under my admin account.
4. On both Macs, access to the scanner using Canon's app does not
function under a standard user account, whether I give the account admin
rights or not.
5. Canon thought it might be fixed by doing a repair disk permissions
under the disk utility. This did not fix the problem.
6. BTW, I get the same error using VueScan; i.e scanner is not attached

I suspect that a driver or other critical file for the scanner might
have the incorrect permissions, just don't know what/where it might be.

Any help, suggestions appreciated.
0
Reply msees (2) 9/17/2010 11:41:37 AM

See related articles to this posting

In article <DN2dnf-rJOVvzg7RnZ2dnUVZ_tSdnZ2d@entouch.net>,
 Myron Sees <msees@entouch.net> wrote:

> I just installed a new Canon MX870 with the following conditions:
> 1. Two Macs, both at 10.6.4
> 2. Canon is connected to the LAN
> 3. All functions on the Canon work great (scanner, printer) on both Macs
> under my admin account.
> 4. On both Macs, access to the scanner using Canon's app does not
> function under a standard user account, whether I give the account admin
> rights or not.
> 5. Canon thought it might be fixed by doing a repair disk permissions
> under the disk utility. This did not fix the problem.
> 6. BTW, I get the same error using VueScan; i.e scanner is not attached
>
> I suspect that a driver or other critical file for the scanner might
> have the incorrect permissions, just don't know what/where it might be.
>
> Any help, suggestions appreciated.

You failed to mention the actual error.

JR
0
Reply jollyroger (11010) 9/17/2010 1:13:51 PM

On 9/17/10 8:13 AM, Jolly Roger wrote:
> In article<DN2dnf-rJOVvzg7RnZ2dnUVZ_tSdnZ2d@entouch.net>,
>   Myron Sees<msees@entouch.net>  wrote:
>
>> I just installed a new Canon MX870 with the following conditions:
>> 1. Two Macs, both at 10.6.4
>> 2. Canon is connected to the LAN
>> 3. All functions on the Canon work great (scanner, printer) on both Macs
>> under my admin account.
>> 4. On both Macs, access to the scanner using Canon's app does not
>> function under a standard user account, whether I give the account admin
>> rights or not.
>> 5. Canon thought it might be fixed by doing a repair disk permissions
>> under the disk utility. This did not fix the problem.
>> 6. BTW, I get the same error using VueScan; i.e scanner is not attached
>>
>> I suspect that a driver or other critical file for the scanner might
>> have the incorrect permissions, just don't know what/where it might be.
>>
>> Any help, suggestions appreciated.
>
> You failed to mention the actual error.

The actual error message is:

Cannot communicate with scanner. Scanner driver will close. 2.1.0

What is interesting that while the system indicates that it cannot
communicate with the scanner, via the same path it communicates just
fine with the printer.
0
Reply msees (2) 9/17/2010 1:28:35 PM

In article <BYednSGtqbCe8A7RnZ2dnUVZ_hadnZ2d@entouch.net>,
 Myron Sees <msees@entouch.net> wrote:

> On 9/17/10 8:13 AM, Jolly Roger wrote:
> > In article<DN2dnf-rJOVvzg7RnZ2dnUVZ_tSdnZ2d@entouch.net>,
> >   Myron Sees<msees@entouch.net>  wrote:
> >
> >> I just installed a new Canon MX870 with the following conditions:
> >> 1. Two Macs, both at 10.6.4
> >> 2. Canon is connected to the LAN
> >> 3. All functions on the Canon work great (scanner, printer) on both Macs
> >> under my admin account.
> >> 4. On both Macs, access to the scanner using Canon's app does not
> >> function under a standard user account, whether I give the account admin
> >> rights or not.
> >> 5. Canon thought it might be fixed by doing a repair disk permissions
> >> under the disk utility. This did not fix the problem.
> >> 6. BTW, I get the same error using VueScan; i.e scanner is not attached
> >>
> >> I suspect that a driver or other critical file for the scanner might
> >> have the incorrect permissions, just don't know what/where it might be.
> >>
> >> Any help, suggestions appreciated.
> >
> > You failed to mention the actual error.
> >
> The actual error message is:
>
> Cannot communicate with scanner. Scanner driver will close. 2.1.0
>
> What is interesting that while the system indicates that it cannot
> communicate with the scanner, via the same path it communicates just
> fine with the printer.

Two or three years ago I spent some hours installing a Canon scanner for
our secretary.

The bottom line: I had to give administrative privileges to her account,
and install all software under that account, in a specific order. No
other way.

_x.
0
Reply Xavier.Lloobet (66) 9/21/2010 6:08:47 AM

In article
<Xavier.Lloobet-523F49.08084721092010@84-50-178-128-dsl.est.estpak.ee>,
 Xavier Llobet <Xavier.Lloobet@epfl.ch> wrote:

> In article <BYednSGtqbCe8A7RnZ2dnUVZ_hadnZ2d@entouch.net>,
>  Myron Sees <msees@entouch.net> wrote:
>
> > On 9/17/10 8:13 AM, Jolly Roger wrote:

> > > You failed to mention the actual error.
> > >
> > The actual error message is:
> >
> > Cannot communicate with scanner. Scanner driver will close. 2.1.0
> >
> > What is interesting that while the system indicates that it cannot
> > communicate with the scanner, via the same path it communicates just
> > fine with the printer.
>
> Two or three years ago I spent some hours installing a Canon scanner for
> our secretary.
>
> The bottom line: I had to give administrative privileges to her account,
> and install all software under that account, in a specific order. No
> other way.
>
> _x.

That tells me the problem can likely be solved with a quick chmod
command in a terminal window.

JR
0
Reply jollyroger (11010) 9/21/2010 1:55:33 PM

On 2010-09-21 06:55:33 -0700, Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> said:

> In article
> <Xavier.Lloobet-523F49.08084721092010@84-50-178-128-dsl.est.estpak.ee>,
>  Xavier Llobet <Xavier.Lloobet@epfl.ch> wrote:
>
>> In article <BYednSGtqbCe8A7RnZ2dnUVZ_hadnZ2d@entouch.net>,
>> Myron Sees <msees@entouch.net> wrote:

>>> The actual error message is:
>>>
>>> Cannot communicate with scanner. Scanner driver will close. 2.1.0
>>>
>>> What is interesting that while the system indicates that it cannot
>>> communicate with the scanner, via the same path it communicates just
>>> fine with the printer.
>>
>> Two or three years ago I spent some hours installing a Canon scanner for
>> our secretary.
>>
>> The bottom line: I had to give administrative privileges to her account,
>> and install all software under that account, in a specific order. No
>> other way.
>>
>> _x.
>
> That tells me the problem can likely be solved with a quick chmod
> command in a terminal window.

Under 10.6, the scanner portion of the MX870 shows as a separate device
in the Print & Fax section of System Preferences. Be sure to set it up
the same way you did the printer portion of the device.
--
Bream Rockmetteller
Donaldson's Dog Joy

0
Reply bream-dot.rockmetteller-at (52) 10/16/2010 4:25:37 AM
comp.sys.mac.misc 7018 articles. 5 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Canon MX870 Multifunction Printer/Scanner & OS 10.6.4
I just installed a new Canon MX870 with the following conditions: 1. Two Macs, both at 10.6.4 2. Canon is connected to the LAN 3. All functions on the Canon work great (scanner, printer) on both Macs under my admin account. 4. On both Macs, access to the scanner using Canon's app does not function under a standard user account, whether I give the account admin rights or not. 5. Canon thought it might be fixed by doing a repair disk permissions under the disk utility. This did not fix the problem. 6. BTW, I get the same error using VueScan; i.e scanner is not attached I suspect that a ...

OS X 10.4.8 and Canon MP780 scanner driver!?!?!?
Has anyone had any experience with the Canon MP780 scanner function on a the current Mac OS? I recently updated my OS to 10.4.8 and the MP780 scanner will not work at all. Canon tech support has been worthless. ...

upgrading OS 10.4.1 to OS 10.4.9
Is there a charge to upgrade from upgrading OS 10.4.1 to OS 10.4.9 Where can I find the upgrade online researcher <malibu.ron@verizon.net> wrote: > Is there a charge to upgrade from upgrading OS 10.4.1 to OS 10.4.9 > > Where can I find the upgrade online no. apple never charges for updates. just google for 10.4.9 combo update done. fyi 10.4.11 should be out by the end of the month. In article <1191730844.644697.92990@y42g2000hsy.googlegroups.com>, researcher <malibu.ron@verizon.net> wrote: > Is there a charge to upgrade from upgrading OS 10.4.1 to OS 1...

XCode (2.4.1) Linking issue, wx 2.8.6, OS X 10.4.10, GCC4.0
Platform: Mac mini - intel dual core. I'm working through the examples in the "Cross-Platform GUI Programming with wxWidgets" books and I'm stuck on an XCode linking issue. The demos on the base wxMac code base build and work fine. So I know it's the XCode setup. I can't find the entry where the libraries are described. I've setup XCode using the wx-config --cxxflags and wx-config --libs When building the minimal code example in chapter two, the build completes and goes to the link stage where: "Linking /Volumes//u01/work/wx - example...

Problem upgrading from OS 10.4.1 to OS 10.4.9
I have a MacBook Pro with OS X version 10.4.1 installed. Model Name: MacBook Pro 15" Model Identifier: MacBookPro1,1 Processor Name: Intel Core Duo Processor Speed: 2 GHz Number Of Processors: 1 Total Number Of Cores: 2 L2 Cache (per processor): 2 MB Memory: 1 GB Bus Speed: 667 MHz I downloaded Mac_OS X 10.4.9 Combined Update (Intel) and when I tried updating it read: "You cannot install Mac OS X Update Combined (Intel) on this volume. This volume does not meet the requirements for this update." researcher wrote: > I have a MacBook Pro with OS X ver...

HP Scanner for OS X 10.4.10?
So I'm trying to hook up a HP 4400c. On the web one site explains the how to install with OS 9.2: --------------------------------- "Click the Apple icon and open the Apple System Profiler in Mac OS 9.2.2. In Mac OS X, open the Apple System Profiler by going to the Mac HD, Applications, then Utilities folder. Click Devices and Volumes and then under USB Information, USB 0 or USB 1, there will be an HP Scanjet Scanner listed there (OS 9 and OS X version 10.1.x and 10.2.x)." --------------------------------- I'm wondering what equivalent is there in OS X 10.4.10 to "...

Network Mac OS 8.6 to OS 10.4
Hello, all! I have a Power Mac 7500 for which I recently found a 50 GB hard drive, to upgrade it to Yellow Dog Linux, but the hard drive hadn't arrived yet, so I began playing around with OS 8.6. I have my OS 10.4 iBook hooked up to Ethernet at my office at school, and I have it set up to accept remote login, ftp and remote Apple events and have logged in many times from my roommate's Compaq; I fired up the Chooser and tried logging in from the OS 8.6 box, only to find to my horror that 10.4 would not accept respond to the connection. I checked with the Compaq, and *it* only w...

Can't find printer under OS 10.4.10
If this has been previously discussed, I must have missed it. Has anyone else noticed this with any of their printers? While troubleshooting a problem that resulted from a power failure, I discovered something funny that seems to be related to the OS 10.4.10 upgrade. My Intel iMac can no longer see one of my printers when the ADD button is clicked in Printer Setup Utility. (The iMac was not even plugged-in when the power failed.) I have an HP 4600 and an HP 2605 connected to an Apple Airport Extreme via Ethernet. I can wirelessly print to both printers successfully, from both the ...

Can't find printer under OS 10.4.10
While troubleshooting a problem that resulted from a power failure, I discovered something funny that seems to be related to the OS 10.4.10 upgrade. My Intel iMac can no longer see one of my printers when the ADD button is clicked in Printer Setup Utility. (The iMac was not even plugged-in when the power failed.) I have an HP 4600 and an HP 2605 connected to an Apple Airport Extreme via Ethernet. I can wirelessly print to both printers successfully, from both the Intel iMac and a PB G4. I recently upgraded to OS 10.4.10 on both machines. The iMac can still print to the 26...

Upgrading from OS 10.3.9 to 10.4.6
I have the 10.4.6 media from my MacBook. Can I use this to upgrade my eMac from 10.3.9 to 10.4.6 - ie. Will all my files remain on the machine, or do I have to do a clean install? Thanks, Tara tarafinlay wrote: > I have the 10.4.6 media from my MacBook. Can I use this to upgrade my > eMac from 10.3.9 to 10.4.6 - ie. Will all my files remain on the > machine, or do I have to do a clean install? > > Thanks, > Tara Hi Tara, absolutly not. The disc from your MB are specific to that model and can not be used on any other Macintosh computer. Besides your eMac uses the IBM/ ...

Updating Intel 10.4.9 to OS 10.4.10 on APM disk
There was discussion about whether it is possible to put an Intel version of OS 10.4.x on an APM-formatted Firewire drive. You can't do this directly since the installer refuses to install to an APM-formatted drive, but you can install to a GUID-formatted drive, and clone that installation to an APM-formatted drive, as outlined in several places including <http://eshop.macsales.com/Reviews/Framework.cfm?page=Tips/dualboot/dualb oot.html> I did this, using an OWC 500 GB drive, on which I arranged for a 25 GB PPC 10.4.9 partition and a 25 GB Intel 10.4.9 partition, with a third...

Install problem, 6.0, Mac OS 10.4.10: No kernel connect?
Installed Mathematica 6.0.1 from purchased CD to Applications folder on MacBook running OS 10.4.10 and having 5.1 already installed -- installation process all seemed to go OK. Dbl-clicked the app, it started up; supplied Password as requested. The "About Mathematica" box shows correct name, license number, etc.; opening an old notebook produces green bar across top suggesting a compatibility scan; new notebook window can also be opened -- but invoking any menu command or attempting to execute any cell leads to dialog box: "Mathematica could not establish...

it will install on my 10.4 os but not on my 10.5 os
I have a copy of labview student edition 8.2 that installs perfectly on my 10.4 iBook. I recently purchased a new macbook pro and tried to install it. Every time i do it fails on me. I figured that the cd was bad, so I uninstalled it from my iBook and reinstalled it and it worked fine. Is there any known problems with 10.5os and labview 8.2? I'm fairly certain 8.2 is not supported on Intel-based Macs. You should check the requirements. I have not tried that combination, but I think some users have reported problems with 10.5 and LV. I am still at 10.4.11 on this PPC machine. The only 1...

wxWidgets 2.6.3 on Intel Mac with OS X 10.0.4 (Tiger), gcc 4.0.1
Hello, I have recently started porting our application to Mac OS X. Application was developed for Microsoft Windows using wxWidgets. I have installed wxWidgets 2.6.3 on my Mac using darwinports system. Compilation completed successfully and without any warnings/errors. I am able to compile same programs included in library archive, but started application does not receive ANY user input - I am even unable to move application window. Program is stripped to bare bones: #include "wx/wx.h" #include <iostream> class MyApp : public wxApp { public: virtual boo...

[wx 2.6.3, Mac OS X 10.4.8, gcc 4.0.1] extremely slow wxStyledTextCtrl::Colourise()
Hello, I'm developing a multi-platform source code editor with syntax-highlighting based on wxWidgets. I have a problem with the wxStyledTextCtrl::Colourise() function on the Mac platform. This function is extremely slow on Mac, e.g. it takes about 40 seconds to do the lexing of a file of 500 lines of c++ code, while the same function returns within 1 second on the Windows and Linux platforms using the same version of wxWidgets. (I'm using the wxSTC_LEX_CPP lexer). The problem appears when the user wants to scroll down the wxStyledTextCtrl : the slider blocks and th...

Mex yprime.c compile failed matlab r2010a mac os x 10.6.6 xcode 4 gcc v4.2.1
Dear all, I am new to this topic. I just wanted to follow the steps to build a mex file from my mac. I am using a matlab r2010a on a mac with os x 10.6.6. I have the xcode4 installed. After typed in mex -setup in the matlab prompt, the output are as follows, Options files control which compiler to use, the compiler and link command options, and the runtime libraries to link against. Using the 'mex -setup' command selects an options file that is placed in ~/.matlab/R2010a and used by default for 'mex'. An options file in the current working directory or spe...

Damage to OS 10.4.6
I recently attempted to instal a trial programme onto my computer. The exercise was a disaster and has resulted in damage to my operating system, which is OS 10.4.6. "Safari" and "Mail" are performing strangely. Boot-up is tacking much longer. When remnants of the problem programme are trashed, they reappear on the desk top, when next the computer is started. Is it possible to restore my OS to good health, without having to erase total contents of the disk. In article <1hfhp6s.mrjq3ay9iukoN%stanrob@internode.on.net>, stanrob@internode.on.net (Stan Robinson) wr...

OS 10.4 Client and OS 10.3.9 Server
Anyone having experiences with this combination yet? Any problems? I'm guessing the advanced searching of elements on the server won't work until the server (and the indexing thereof) is upgaded to Tiger as well. But any unexpected consequences? Peter Anton MicroPRINT In article <427F8775.131A0BBF@nospamplease.com>, nAPpy <news@nospamplease.com> wrote: > Anyone having experiences with this combination yet? Any problems? > > I'm guessing the advanced searching of elements on the server won't work > until the server (and the indexing thereof) is upga...

OS 10.2.8 versus OS 10.5.6
Things that I like better in 10.2.8 rather than 10.5.6. I hope that some of these are not true or can be circumvented. Help! When I use dialup, I can easily pick from a list of telephone numbers to my ISP when in 10.2.8. I can't do that, at least not easily, in 10.5.6. When I use dialup, 10.2.8 shows me the connection speed, which gives me the option of re-dialing to a different phone number if the speed is slow. 10.5.6 does not. In OS 10.2.8, System Preferences allowed you drag the frequently-used preference panes to the top of the window. They can't be moved in OS ...

OS X 10.6.2 / Eudora 6.2.4
Hi, I have never done this before and I am just about desperate to get eudora functioning again. I have used eudora for @15 years and it suits my needs perfectly. Although I have had issues in the past something occurred in mid-November which I have not been able to resolve and, in the process, messed up some settings. No one that I know knows how to correct this so I am hoping one of you might. So, around mid-November I suddenly was not able to send an e-mail using eudora. One of the error messages I keep getting is "Server not responding. 706". Another is "...

upgrade from 4.10 to 6.1 and remount old 4.10-hd?
Hello ng, is it possible (without any problems) to install 6.1 and after that integrate an drive from the older 4.10-system? My fstab at this time contains: /dev/da0s1a / ufs rw 1 1 /dev/da0s1h /backup ufs rw 2 2 /dev/da0s1f /tmp ufs rw 2 2 /dev/da0s1g /usr ufs rw 2 2 /dev/da0s1e /var ufs rw 2 2 # /dev/da1s1e /verw ufs rw 2 2 /dev/da1s1f /archiv ufs rw 2 2 I want to install the new system on da0s1 while da1s1 is not online. I want to safe the stored data /verw and /archiv on this one. May there be any dangers to lose these data? ...

OS X 10.6 and older scanners
I have an Epson 2450 and a Nikon 4000 I currently use under OS X 10.4.11. My wife runs 10.5 and I am thinking of upgrading both computers to 10.6. Can anybody tell me if I will run into problems with these scanners and what to do about it? In article <bob-42B363.11195202012010@5ad64b5e.bb.sky.com>, Robert Peirce <bob@peirce-family.com> wrote: > I have an Epson 2450 and a Nikon 4000 I currently use under OS X > 10.4.11. My wife runs 10.5 and I am thinking of upgrading both > computers to 10.6. Can anybody tell me if I will run into problems with > ...

OS 10.4.6 update prob
Had prob yesterday downloading 10.4.6 update. I have 10.4.5. I left the room during the download and it seemed to be progressing all in order. When I returned there was an error message. Unfortunately I didn't note exactly what it was, but one of the recommendations was to try to download it again which I tried. On retry on the checking for new software screen the scrollbar would seem to get stuck when the blue bar had progressed about 20% from the left toward the right. It would stay stuck for several hours when I would quit and retry with same results. I even tried restarting the machi...

OS X 10.6.4 Trash
Any way to sort trash bin files by Date Deleted so I can find one I just accidentally put in there? There's a few thousand files in the bin and I can't readily find it. In article <ib1nkr$snu$1@news.albasani.net>, 3rd and long <qb@fb.net> wrote: > Any way to sort trash bin files by Date Deleted so I can find one I just > accidentally put in there? There's a few thousand files in the bin and I > can't readily find it. why the hell are there a few thousand files in the trash? the trash is *not* a storage area. the file you are looking...