Canon MX870 Multifunction Printer/Scanner & OS 10.6.4

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I just installed a new Canon MX870 with the following conditions:
1. Two Macs, both at 10.6.4
2. Canon is connected to the LAN
3. All functions on the Canon work great (scanner, printer) on both Macs
under my admin account.
4. On both Macs, access to the scanner using Canon's app does not
function under a standard user account, whether I give the account admin
rights or not.
5. Canon thought it might be fixed by doing a repair disk permissions
under the disk utility. This did not fix the problem.
6. BTW, I get the same error using VueScan; i.e scanner is not attached

I suspect that a driver or other critical file for the scanner might
have the incorrect permissions, just don't know what/where it might be.

Any help, suggestions appreciated.
0
Reply msees (2) 9/17/2010 11:41:37 AM

See related articles to this posting

In article <DN2dnf-rJOVvzg7RnZ2dnUVZ_tSdnZ2d@entouch.net>,
 Myron Sees <msees@entouch.net> wrote:

> I just installed a new Canon MX870 with the following conditions:
> 1. Two Macs, both at 10.6.4
> 2. Canon is connected to the LAN
> 3. All functions on the Canon work great (scanner, printer) on both Macs
> under my admin account.
> 4. On both Macs, access to the scanner using Canon's app does not
> function under a standard user account, whether I give the account admin
> rights or not.
> 5. Canon thought it might be fixed by doing a repair disk permissions
> under the disk utility. This did not fix the problem.
> 6. BTW, I get the same error using VueScan; i.e scanner is not attached
>
> I suspect that a driver or other critical file for the scanner might
> have the incorrect permissions, just don't know what/where it might be.
>
> Any help, suggestions appreciated.

You failed to mention the actual error.

JR
0
Reply jollyroger (11016) 9/17/2010 1:13:51 PM

On 9/17/10 8:13 AM, Jolly Roger wrote:
> In article<DN2dnf-rJOVvzg7RnZ2dnUVZ_tSdnZ2d@entouch.net>,
>   Myron Sees<msees@entouch.net>  wrote:
>
>> I just installed a new Canon MX870 with the following conditions:
>> 1. Two Macs, both at 10.6.4
>> 2. Canon is connected to the LAN
>> 3. All functions on the Canon work great (scanner, printer) on both Macs
>> under my admin account.
>> 4. On both Macs, access to the scanner using Canon's app does not
>> function under a standard user account, whether I give the account admin
>> rights or not.
>> 5. Canon thought it might be fixed by doing a repair disk permissions
>> under the disk utility. This did not fix the problem.
>> 6. BTW, I get the same error using VueScan; i.e scanner is not attached
>>
>> I suspect that a driver or other critical file for the scanner might
>> have the incorrect permissions, just don't know what/where it might be.
>>
>> Any help, suggestions appreciated.
>
> You failed to mention the actual error.

The actual error message is:

Cannot communicate with scanner. Scanner driver will close. 2.1.0

What is interesting that while the system indicates that it cannot
communicate with the scanner, via the same path it communicates just
fine with the printer.
0
Reply msees (2) 9/17/2010 1:28:35 PM

In article <BYednSGtqbCe8A7RnZ2dnUVZ_hadnZ2d@entouch.net>,
 Myron Sees <msees@entouch.net> wrote:

> On 9/17/10 8:13 AM, Jolly Roger wrote:
> > In article<DN2dnf-rJOVvzg7RnZ2dnUVZ_tSdnZ2d@entouch.net>,
> >   Myron Sees<msees@entouch.net>  wrote:
> >
> >> I just installed a new Canon MX870 with the following conditions:
> >> 1. Two Macs, both at 10.6.4
> >> 2. Canon is connected to the LAN
> >> 3. All functions on the Canon work great (scanner, printer) on both Macs
> >> under my admin account.
> >> 4. On both Macs, access to the scanner using Canon's app does not
> >> function under a standard user account, whether I give the account admin
> >> rights or not.
> >> 5. Canon thought it might be fixed by doing a repair disk permissions
> >> under the disk utility. This did not fix the problem.
> >> 6. BTW, I get the same error using VueScan; i.e scanner is not attached
> >>
> >> I suspect that a driver or other critical file for the scanner might
> >> have the incorrect permissions, just don't know what/where it might be.
> >>
> >> Any help, suggestions appreciated.
> >
> > You failed to mention the actual error.
> >
> The actual error message is:
>
> Cannot communicate with scanner. Scanner driver will close. 2.1.0
>
> What is interesting that while the system indicates that it cannot
> communicate with the scanner, via the same path it communicates just
> fine with the printer.

Two or three years ago I spent some hours installing a Canon scanner for
our secretary.

The bottom line: I had to give administrative privileges to her account,
and install all software under that account, in a specific order. No
other way.

_x.
0
Reply Xavier.Lloobet (66) 9/21/2010 6:08:47 AM

In article
<Xavier.Lloobet-523F49.08084721092010@84-50-178-128-dsl.est.estpak.ee>,
 Xavier Llobet <Xavier.Lloobet@epfl.ch> wrote:

> In article <BYednSGtqbCe8A7RnZ2dnUVZ_hadnZ2d@entouch.net>,
>  Myron Sees <msees@entouch.net> wrote:
>
> > On 9/17/10 8:13 AM, Jolly Roger wrote:

> > > You failed to mention the actual error.
> > >
> > The actual error message is:
> >
> > Cannot communicate with scanner. Scanner driver will close. 2.1.0
> >
> > What is interesting that while the system indicates that it cannot
> > communicate with the scanner, via the same path it communicates just
> > fine with the printer.
>
> Two or three years ago I spent some hours installing a Canon scanner for
> our secretary.
>
> The bottom line: I had to give administrative privileges to her account,
> and install all software under that account, in a specific order. No
> other way.
>
> _x.

That tells me the problem can likely be solved with a quick chmod
command in a terminal window.

JR
0
Reply jollyroger (11016) 9/21/2010 1:55:33 PM

On 2010-09-21 06:55:33 -0700, Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> said:

> In article
> <Xavier.Lloobet-523F49.08084721092010@84-50-178-128-dsl.est.estpak.ee>,
>  Xavier Llobet <Xavier.Lloobet@epfl.ch> wrote:
>
>> In article <BYednSGtqbCe8A7RnZ2dnUVZ_hadnZ2d@entouch.net>,
>> Myron Sees <msees@entouch.net> wrote:

>>> The actual error message is:
>>>
>>> Cannot communicate with scanner. Scanner driver will close. 2.1.0
>>>
>>> What is interesting that while the system indicates that it cannot
>>> communicate with the scanner, via the same path it communicates just
>>> fine with the printer.
>>
>> Two or three years ago I spent some hours installing a Canon scanner for
>> our secretary.
>>
>> The bottom line: I had to give administrative privileges to her account,
>> and install all software under that account, in a specific order. No
>> other way.
>>
>> _x.
>
> That tells me the problem can likely be solved with a quick chmod
> command in a terminal window.

Under 10.6, the scanner portion of the MX870 shows as a separate device
in the Print & Fax section of System Preferences. Be sure to set it up
the same way you did the printer portion of the device.
--
Bream Rockmetteller
Donaldson's Dog Joy

0
Reply bream-dot.rockmetteller-at (52) 10/16/2010 4:25:37 AM
comp.sys.mac.misc 6963 articles. 5 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Canon MX870 Multifunction Printer/Scanner & OS 10.6.4
I just installed a new Canon MX870 with the following conditions: 1. Two Macs, both at 10.6.4 2. Canon is connected to the LAN 3. All functions on the Canon work great (scanner, printer) on both Macs under my admin account. 4. On both Macs, access to the scanner using Canon's app does not function under a standard user account, whether I give the account admin rights or not. 5. Canon thought it might be fixed by doing a repair disk permissions under the disk utility. This did not fix the problem. 6. BTW, I get the same error using VueScan; i.e scanner is not attached I suspect that a ...

OS X 10.4.8 and Canon MP780 scanner driver!?!?!?
Has anyone had any experience with the Canon MP780 scanner function on a the current Mac OS? I recently updated my OS to 10.4.8 and the MP780 scanner will not work at all. Canon tech support has been worthless. ...

XCode (2.4.1) Linking issue, wx 2.8.6, OS X 10.4.10, GCC4.0
Platform: Mac mini - intel dual core. I'm working through the examples in the "Cross-Platform GUI Programming with wxWidgets" books and I'm stuck on an XCode linking issue. The demos on the base wxMac code base build and work fine. So I know it's the XCode setup. I can't find the entry where the libraries are described. I've setup XCode using the wx-config --cxxflags and wx-config --libs When building the minimal code example in chapter two, the build completes and goes to the link stage where: "Linking /Volumes//u01/work/wx - example...

HP Scanner for OS X 10.4.10?
So I'm trying to hook up a HP 4400c. On the web one site explains the how to install with OS 9.2: --------------------------------- "Click the Apple icon and open the Apple System Profiler in Mac OS 9.2.2. In Mac OS X, open the Apple System Profiler by going to the Mac HD, Applications, then Utilities folder. Click Devices and Volumes and then under USB Information, USB 0 or USB 1, there will be an HP Scanjet Scanner listed there (OS 9 and OS X version 10.1.x and 10.2.x)." --------------------------------- I'm wondering what equivalent is there in OS X 10.4.10 to "...

Network Mac OS 8.6 to OS 10.4
Hello, all! I have a Power Mac 7500 for which I recently found a 50 GB hard drive, to upgrade it to Yellow Dog Linux, but the hard drive hadn't arrived yet, so I began playing around with OS 8.6. I have my OS 10.4 iBook hooked up to Ethernet at my office at school, and I have it set up to accept remote login, ftp and remote Apple events and have logged in many times from my roommate's Compaq; I fired up the Chooser and tried logging in from the OS 8.6 box, only to find to my horror that 10.4 would not accept respond to the connection. I checked with the Compaq, and *it* only w...

Can't find printer under OS 10.4.10
If this has been previously discussed, I must have missed it. Has anyone else noticed this with any of their printers? While troubleshooting a problem that resulted from a power failure, I discovered something funny that seems to be related to the OS 10.4.10 upgrade. My Intel iMac can no longer see one of my printers when the ADD button is clicked in Printer Setup Utility. (The iMac was not even plugged-in when the power failed.) I have an HP 4600 and an HP 2605 connected to an Apple Airport Extreme via Ethernet. I can wirelessly print to both printers successfully, from both the ...

Can't find printer under OS 10.4.10
While troubleshooting a problem that resulted from a power failure, I discovered something funny that seems to be related to the OS 10.4.10 upgrade. My Intel iMac can no longer see one of my printers when the ADD button is clicked in Printer Setup Utility. (The iMac was not even plugged-in when the power failed.) I have an HP 4600 and an HP 2605 connected to an Apple Airport Extreme via Ethernet. I can wirelessly print to both printers successfully, from both the Intel iMac and a PB G4. I recently upgraded to OS 10.4.10 on both machines. The iMac can still print to the 26...

Upgrading from OS 10.3.9 to 10.4.6
I have the 10.4.6 media from my MacBook. Can I use this to upgrade my eMac from 10.3.9 to 10.4.6 - ie. Will all my files remain on the machine, or do I have to do a clean install? Thanks, Tara tarafinlay wrote: > I have the 10.4.6 media from my MacBook. Can I use this to upgrade my > eMac from 10.3.9 to 10.4.6 - ie. Will all my files remain on the > machine, or do I have to do a clean install? > > Thanks, > Tara Hi Tara, absolutly not. The disc from your MB are specific to that model and can not be used on any other Macintosh computer. Besides your eMac uses the IBM/ ...

Install problem, 6.0, Mac OS 10.4.10: No kernel connect?
Installed Mathematica 6.0.1 from purchased CD to Applications folder on MacBook running OS 10.4.10 and having 5.1 already installed -- installation process all seemed to go OK. Dbl-clicked the app, it started up; supplied Password as requested. The "About Mathematica" box shows correct name, license number, etc.; opening an old notebook produces green bar across top suggesting a compatibility scan; new notebook window can also be opened -- but invoking any menu command or attempting to execute any cell leads to dialog box: "Mathematica could not establish...

wxWidgets 2.6.3 on Intel Mac with OS X 10.0.4 (Tiger), gcc 4.0.1
Hello, I have recently started porting our application to Mac OS X. Application was developed for Microsoft Windows using wxWidgets. I have installed wxWidgets 2.6.3 on my Mac using darwinports system. Compilation completed successfully and without any warnings/errors. I am able to compile same programs included in library archive, but started application does not receive ANY user input - I am even unable to move application window. Program is stripped to bare bones: #include "wx/wx.h" #include <iostream> class MyApp : public wxApp { public: virtual boo...