Canon MX870 Multifunction Printer/Scanner & OS 10.6.4

I just installed a new Canon MX870 with the following conditions:
1. Two Macs, both at 10.6.4
2. Canon is connected to the LAN
3. All functions on the Canon work great (scanner, printer) on both Macs
under my admin account.
4. On both Macs, access to the scanner using Canon's app does not
function under a standard user account, whether I give the account admin
rights or not.
5. Canon thought it might be fixed by doing a repair disk permissions
under the disk utility. This did not fix the problem.
6. BTW, I get the same error using VueScan; i.e scanner is not attached

I suspect that a driver or other critical file for the scanner might
have the incorrect permissions, just don't know what/where it might be.

Any help, suggestions appreciated.
0
msees (2)
9/17/2010 11:41:37 AM
comp.sys.mac.misc 7122 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

In article <DN2dnf-rJOVvzg7RnZ2dnUVZ_tSdnZ2d@entouch.net>,
 Myron Sees <msees@entouch.net> wrote:

> I just installed a new Canon MX870 with the following conditions:
> 1. Two Macs, both at 10.6.4
> 2. Canon is connected to the LAN
> 3. All functions on the Canon work great (scanner, printer) on both Macs
> under my admin account.
> 4. On both Macs, access to the scanner using Canon's app does not
> function under a standard user account, whether I give the account admin
> rights or not.
> 5. Canon thought it might be fixed by doing a repair disk permissions
> under the disk utility. This did not fix the problem.
> 6. BTW, I get the same error using VueScan; i.e scanner is not attached
>
> I suspect that a driver or other critical file for the scanner might
> have the incorrect permissions, just don't know what/where it might be.
>
> Any help, suggestions appreciated.

You failed to mention the actual error.

JR
0
jollyroger (11010)
9/17/2010 1:13:51 PM
On 9/17/10 8:13 AM, Jolly Roger wrote:
> In article<DN2dnf-rJOVvzg7RnZ2dnUVZ_tSdnZ2d@entouch.net>,
>   Myron Sees<msees@entouch.net>  wrote:
>
>> I just installed a new Canon MX870 with the following conditions:
>> 1. Two Macs, both at 10.6.4
>> 2. Canon is connected to the LAN
>> 3. All functions on the Canon work great (scanner, printer) on both Macs
>> under my admin account.
>> 4. On both Macs, access to the scanner using Canon's app does not
>> function under a standard user account, whether I give the account admin
>> rights or not.
>> 5. Canon thought it might be fixed by doing a repair disk permissions
>> under the disk utility. This did not fix the problem.
>> 6. BTW, I get the same error using VueScan; i.e scanner is not attached
>>
>> I suspect that a driver or other critical file for the scanner might
>> have the incorrect permissions, just don't know what/where it might be.
>>
>> Any help, suggestions appreciated.
>
> You failed to mention the actual error.

The actual error message is:

Cannot communicate with scanner. Scanner driver will close. 2.1.0

What is interesting that while the system indicates that it cannot
communicate with the scanner, via the same path it communicates just
fine with the printer.
0
msees (2)
9/17/2010 1:28:35 PM
In article <BYednSGtqbCe8A7RnZ2dnUVZ_hadnZ2d@entouch.net>,
 Myron Sees <msees@entouch.net> wrote:

> On 9/17/10 8:13 AM, Jolly Roger wrote:
> > In article<DN2dnf-rJOVvzg7RnZ2dnUVZ_tSdnZ2d@entouch.net>,
> >   Myron Sees<msees@entouch.net>  wrote:
> >
> >> I just installed a new Canon MX870 with the following conditions:
> >> 1. Two Macs, both at 10.6.4
> >> 2. Canon is connected to the LAN
> >> 3. All functions on the Canon work great (scanner, printer) on both Macs
> >> under my admin account.
> >> 4. On both Macs, access to the scanner using Canon's app does not
> >> function under a standard user account, whether I give the account admin
> >> rights or not.
> >> 5. Canon thought it might be fixed by doing a repair disk permissions
> >> under the disk utility. This did not fix the problem.
> >> 6. BTW, I get the same error using VueScan; i.e scanner is not attached
> >>
> >> I suspect that a driver or other critical file for the scanner might
> >> have the incorrect permissions, just don't know what/where it might be.
> >>
> >> Any help, suggestions appreciated.
> >
> > You failed to mention the actual error.
> >
> The actual error message is:
>
> Cannot communicate with scanner. Scanner driver will close. 2.1.0
>
> What is interesting that while the system indicates that it cannot
> communicate with the scanner, via the same path it communicates just
> fine with the printer.

Two or three years ago I spent some hours installing a Canon scanner for
our secretary.

The bottom line: I had to give administrative privileges to her account,
and install all software under that account, in a specific order. No
other way.

_x.
In article
<Xavier.Lloobet-523F49.08084721092010@84-50-178-128-dsl.est.estpak.ee>,
 Xavier Llobet <Xavier.Lloobet@epfl.ch> wrote:

> In article <BYednSGtqbCe8A7RnZ2dnUVZ_hadnZ2d@entouch.net>,
>  Myron Sees <msees@entouch.net> wrote:
>
> > On 9/17/10 8:13 AM, Jolly Roger wrote:

> > > You failed to mention the actual error.
> > >
> > The actual error message is:
> >
> > Cannot communicate with scanner. Scanner driver will close. 2.1.0
> >
> > What is interesting that while the system indicates that it cannot
> > communicate with the scanner, via the same path it communicates just
> > fine with the printer.
>
> Two or three years ago I spent some hours installing a Canon scanner for
> our secretary.
>
> The bottom line: I had to give administrative privileges to her account,
> and install all software under that account, in a specific order. No
> other way.
>
> _x.

That tells me the problem can likely be solved with a quick chmod
command in a terminal window.

JR
0
jollyroger (11010)
9/21/2010 1:55:33 PM
On 2010-09-21 06:55:33 -0700, Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> said:

> In article
> <Xavier.Lloobet-523F49.08084721092010@84-50-178-128-dsl.est.estpak.ee>,
>  Xavier Llobet <Xavier.Lloobet@epfl.ch> wrote:
>
>> In article <BYednSGtqbCe8A7RnZ2dnUVZ_hadnZ2d@entouch.net>,
>> Myron Sees <msees@entouch.net> wrote:

>>> The actual error message is:
>>>
>>> Cannot communicate with scanner. Scanner driver will close. 2.1.0
>>>
>>> What is interesting that while the system indicates that it cannot
>>> communicate with the scanner, via the same path it communicates just
>>> fine with the printer.
>>
>> Two or three years ago I spent some hours installing a Canon scanner for
>> our secretary.
>>
>> The bottom line: I had to give administrative privileges to her account,
>> and install all software under that account, in a specific order. No
>> other way.
>>
>> _x.
>
> That tells me the problem can likely be solved with a quick chmod
> command in a terminal window.

Under 10.6, the scanner portion of the MX870 shows as a separate device
in the Print & Fax section of System Preferences. Be sure to set it up
the same way you did the printer portion of the device.
--
Bream Rockmetteller
Donaldson's Dog Joy