Deleting aliases from the toolbar (OS 10.4.11)

There must be an easy way to do this, but I haven't found it.

A long time ago I accidentally installed an alias to a particular
folder in the toolbar at the top of the Finder window. I haven't found
anywhere to remove it: it can't be dragged to the trash, pressing the
delete key doesn't do it, and I can'r find anything in either System or
Finder preferences. The other day I thought it might go away if I
trashed the folder that it refers to, so now it displays a big question
mark instead of a folder icon, and if I click on that it says "The item
cannot be found". I thought the question mark might go away if I
restarted the computer, but it didn't.

So, how to get rid of an icon accidentally put in the toolbar?
--
athel

0
athel_cb (17)
4/14/2008 4:50:59 PM
comp.sys.mac.misc 7155 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

In article <66hgbjF2k4godU1@mid.individual.net>,
 Athel Cornish-Bowden <athel_cb@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> There must be an easy way to do this, but I haven't found it.
>
> A long time ago I accidentally installed an alias to a particular
> folder in the toolbar at the top of the Finder window. I haven't found
> anywhere to remove it: it can't be dragged to the trash, pressing the
> delete key doesn't do it, and I can'r find anything in either System or
> Finder preferences. The other day I thought it might go away if I
> trashed the folder that it refers to, so now it displays a big question
> mark instead of a folder icon, and if I click on that it says "The item
> cannot be found". I thought the question mark might go away if I
> restarted the computer, but it didn't.
>
> So, how to get rid of an icon accidentally put in the toolbar?

Control-click (or right-click) on the icon and choose "Remove Item" from
the context menu.
0
uce3 (3721)
4/14/2008 5:23:49 PM
In article <66hgbjF2k4godU1@mid.individual.net>,
 Athel Cornish-Bowden <athel_cb@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> There must be an easy way to do this, but I haven't found it.
>
> A long time ago I accidentally installed an alias to a particular
> folder in the toolbar at the top of the Finder window. I haven't found
> anywhere to remove it

Hold down the command key and drag it off the toolbar.  Drop it
anywhere, it'll disappear in a puff of smoke.

Or control-click or right-click on the icon and select "Remove Item".

Or control-click or right-click on the toolbar, select "Customize
Toolbar", and you can drag items on or off the toolbar, or change the
whole toolbar back to the default set.
0
wayne.morris (951)
4/14/2008 6:40:46 PM
On 2008-04-14 20:40:46 +0200, "Wayne C. Morris"
<wayne.morris@this.is.invalid> said:

> In article <66hgbjF2k4godU1@mid.individual.net>,
>  Athel Cornish-Bowden <athel_cb@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> There must be an easy way to do this, but I haven't found it.
>>
>> A long time ago I accidentally installed an alias to a particular
>> folder in the toolbar at the top of the Finder window. I haven't found
>> anywhere to remove it
>
> Hold down the command key and drag it off the toolbar.  Drop it
> anywhere, it'll disappear in a puff of smoke.
>
> Or control-click or right-click on the icon and select "Remove Item".
>
> Or control-click or right-click on the toolbar, select "Customize
> Toolbar", and you can drag items on or off the toolbar, or change the
> whole toolbar back to the default set.

Thanks to you and Gregory. I knew there had to be an easy solution.
Once pointed out they seem obvious (as I thought they probably would),
but I didn't think of them.
--
athel

0