Robert

0
Robert
3/18/2013 1:02:59 PM
comp.sys.mac.misc 7155 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

On 2013-03-18, Robert Montgomery <robertm716@gmail.com> wrote:
> How could I get two desktop Macs in two apartments of the same building
> to share the same contents, so that if I change the contents of one
> computer, the changes are reflected in the other computer?

The simplest way to do this would be to set up a network file share on
one of the computers (designate it as the server) and connect to it on
the other computer (the client). You would have to keep the server on
all the time, which you may or may not want.

If you have an iCloud account, you can set up file syncronization using
the "Mobile Documents":

<http://osxdaily.com/2011/11/03/sync-files-between-macs-with-icloud/>

You don't need to have a computer on all the time, but this method
causes your files to be stored in Apple's servers and forwarded to your
other computer, which could take some time if you need to share large files.

There's a third option available to you, since you have an AirPort
Extreme device: buy an external hard drive, connect to the AirPort
Extreme's USB port, and set that drive up as a shared drive.

> In both apartments I want to operate printers connected to the desktop
> Macs.

Is the printer able to connect to the network directly, or do you have
it hooked up via USB to one of your Macs? If the latter applies, check
to see if your printer is compatible with your AirPort Extreme. If it
is, connect the printer's USB cord to the USB port on the AirPort
Extreme, and set up the printer using these directions:

<http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=964>

> I have an Airport Extreme and an Airport Express already hooked up to my
> existing Mac, so I'm wondering how I could extend my network into the
> second apartment, which is in a different apartment of the same building.

If you're only connecting one Mac, and if you can do it via the Ethernet
port, buy a network bridge. They retail for about $50. Otherwise, use a
network range extender.

--
Blah blah bleh...
GCS/CM d(-)@>-- s+:- !a C++$ UBL++++$ L+$ W+++$ w M++ Y++ b++

I think I didn't explain thoroughly enough what I want to do.

I have a Mac, Airport Extreme, an Airport Express and two printers in my ex=
isting apartment.

I'm considering renting a second apartment in the same building to house a =
second printer (which is too big to fit into my existing apartment because =
the printer is over six feet long).  To print from that second printer with=
out going back to the first apartment every time I want to print, I'd need =
a second Mac in that second apartment.

I'd be printing large Photoshop files.  Some of the files are over 150 mega=
bytes each.

The distance between the two apartments could be 50 to 100 feet, with two o=
r more walls in between (probably on the same floor) so I don't know how we=
ll a wireless connection would work.

I haven't yet bought the second Mac or the printer for the second apartment=
..

Robert
0
Robert
3/18/2013 3:50:24 PM
On 18/03/2013 16:50, Robert Montgomery wrote:
> Thanks, Salvatore.
>
> I think I didn't explain thoroughly enough what I want to do.
>
> I have a Mac, Airport Extreme, an Airport Express and two printers in my existing apartment.
>
> I'm considering renting a second apartment in the same building to house a second printer (which is too big to fit into my existing apartment because the printer is over six feet long).  To print from that second printer without going back to the first apartment every time I want to print, I'd need a second Mac in that second apartment.
>
> I'd be printing large Photoshop files.  Some of the files are over 150 megabytes each.
>
> The distance between the two apartments could be 50 to 100 feet, with two or more walls in between (probably on the same floor) so I don't know how well a wireless connection would work.
>
> I haven't yet bought the second Mac or the printer for the second apartment.

Are both Macs going to be connected to the internet? In which case the
answer is simple: rsync. Via ssh or something. Maybe via a VPN.

Unless your question is how to connect the 2 Macs without having both
connected to the internet?

Simplest and most effective is drilling holes in walls and pulling
cable. Which you might or might not be allowed to do.

Failing that you might try directional antennas and signal boosters for
your WiFi signal.

0
Joe
3/19/2013 2:35:07 PM
On Tuesday, March 19, 2013 7:35:07 AM UTC-7, Joe Kotroczo wrote:
> On 18/03/2013 16:50, Robert Montgomery wrote:

> Are both Macs going to be connected to the internet? In which case the
>
> answer is simple: rsync. Via ssh or something. Maybe via a VPN.

Thanks, Joe.

Yes, I'd want both Macs to be Net-connected, because I'd want to show my customers in both apartments my Web site when they're visiting my premises.

> Unless your question is how to connect the 2 Macs without having both
>
> connected to the internet?
>
> Simplest and most effective is drilling holes in walls and pulling
>
> cable. Which you might or might not be allowed to do.

I wouldn't be allowed to do that because this is a rental building, so I'm not allowed to drill holes between apartments.

> Failing that you might try directional antennas and signal boosters for
>
> your WiFi signal.

How could I do that?

Robert
0
Robert
3/19/2013 6:55:08 PM
In article <fd7ef268-f441-4e13-ac28-96c900b65e5a@googlegroups.com>,
Robert Montgomery <robertm716@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Simplest and most effective is drilling holes in walls and pulling
> > cable. Which you might or might not be allowed to do.
> >
> I wouldn't be allowed to do that because this is a rental building, so I'm
> not allowed to drill holes between apartments.

run a cable out one window and into a window in the other apartment.

doing this on wifi is not going to work that well, especially with 150
meg files.

using vpn will be even worse unless you have a *really* high speed
internet connection.

powerline is almost guaranteed to not work between apartments and even
if it did, it's not that fast.

> > Failing that you might try directional antennas and signal boosters for
> > your WiFi signal.
>
> How could I do that?

buy two directional antennas for your routers and aim them at each
other. get someone to help you align them.

if you have apple airports, you'll need new routers too, since the
airports don't have external antenna jacks.

if you get new routers, get ones with 802.11ac because it's faster than
802.11n and could replace a wired connection between the two
apartments.
0
nospam
3/19/2013 7:17:38 PM
On 19/03/2013 19:55, Robert Montgomery wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 19, 2013 7:35:07 AM UTC-7, Joe Kotroczo wrote:
>> On 18/03/2013 16:50, Robert Montgomery wrote:
>
>> Are both Macs going to be connected to the internet? In which case the
>>
>> answer is simple: rsync. Via ssh or something. Maybe via a VPN.
>
> Thanks, Joe.
>
> Yes, I'd want both Macs to be Net-connected, because I'd want to show my customers in both apartments my Web site when they're visiting my premises.

That's not actually what I was asking, didn't express myself clearly.
Both macs will be able to access the internet anyway, either they share
one connection via wifi, or they both have their own and sync via the
internet. The question really should be: are you prepared to pay for two
separate broadband subscriptions?

Which makes me think: maybe you can talk to whoever is supplying your
broadband access (or internet subscription, or whatever it is called
where you are) to see if the can put your router into a wiring cabinet
in the basement or whatever they use as access point, and cable your
apartments with ethernet cabling from there instead of phone wire. Or
fiber... :-)

>> Unless your question is how to connect the 2 Macs without having both
>>
>> connected to the internet?
>>
>> Simplest and most effective is drilling holes in walls and pulling
>>
>> cable. Which you might or might not be allowed to do.
>>
> I wouldn't be allowed to do that because this is a rental building, so I'm not allowed to drill holes between apartments.

Well, the phone company or whoever is giving you the internet in the
first place will already have cables running through the building, so
drilling might not be as much of an issue as you think. Hard to tell
though without seeing the building...

>> Failing that you might try directional antennas and signal boosters for
>>
>> your WiFi signal.
>
> How could I do that?

How's this as a starting point:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-range_Wi-Fi

Basically you'll need a pair of wifi routers which have external antenna
jacks, plus a pair of external antennas which can be directional,
include a signal booster, or both. There are numerous vendors and
methods, findable via a search engine of your choosing.

0
Joe
3/19/2013 7:48:58 PM
On 2013-03-19 19:48:58 +0000, Joe Kotroczo said:

> On 19/03/2013 19:55, Robert Montgomery wrote:
>> On Tuesday, March 19, 2013 7:35:07 AM UTC-7, Joe Kotroczo wrote:
>>> On 18/03/2013 16:50, Robert Montgomery wrote:
>>
>>> Are both Macs going to be connected to the internet? In which case the
>>>
>>> answer is simple: rsync. Via ssh or something. Maybe via a VPN.
>>
>> Thanks, Joe.
>>
>> Yes, I'd want both Macs to be Net-connected, because I'd want to show
>> my customers in both apartments my Web site when they're visiting my
>> premises.
>
> That's not actually what I was asking, didn't express myself clearly.
> Both macs will be able to access the internet anyway, either they share
> one connection via wifi, or they both have their own and sync via the
> internet. The question really should be: are you prepared to pay for
> two separate broadband subscriptions?
>
> Which makes me think: maybe you can talk to whoever is supplying your
> broadband access (or internet subscription, or whatever it is called
> where you are) to see if the can put your router into a wiring cabinet
> in the basement or whatever they use as access point, and cable your
> apartments with ethernet cabling from there instead of phone wire. Or
> fiber... :-)

Given the sizes of the files, and the fact you're only using one Mac at
a time (IIRC) wouldn't it be a lot easier (and cheaper!) to write all
your files to a portable hard disk and just carry that between machines?

--
Chris

0
Chris
3/19/2013 8:56:04 PM
On 2013-03-19, Chris Ridd <chrisridd@mac.com> wrote:

> Given the sizes of the files, and the fact you're only using one Mac at
> a time (IIRC) wouldn't it be a lot easier (and cheaper!) to write all
> your files to a portable hard disk and just carry that between machines?

He's got an AirPort Extreme, so he can just plug the hard drive into the
wireless access point and share the files across his whole network.

--
Blah blah bleh...
GCS/CM d(-)@>-- s+:- !a C++$ UBL++++$ L+$ W+++$ w M++ Y++ b++
On 2013-03-18, Robert Montgomery <robertm716@gmail.com> wrote:
> The distance between the two apartments could be 50 to 100 feet, with two
> or more walls in between (probably on the same floor) so I don't know how
> well a wireless connection would work.

Check the wireless range. It would be a shame if you had to run cable.

--
Blah blah bleh...
GCS/CM d(-)@>-- s+:- !a C++$ UBL++++$ L+$ W+++$ w M++ Y++ b++
<sal@yojimbo.hack.invalid> wrote:

>He's got an AirPort Extreme, so he can just plug the hard drive into the
>wireless access point and share the files across his whole network.

So could you have iTunes or iPhoto on that drive and have both
computers accessing and updating it?

--
Anybody who agrees with one side all of the time or disagrees with the
other side all of the time is equally guilty of letting others do
On 2013-03-19, Howard Brazee <howard@brazee.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Mar 2013 20:59:15 +0000 (UTC), Salvatore
><sal@yojimbo.hack.invalid> wrote:
>

>>He's got an AirPort Extreme, so he can just plug the hard drive into the
>>wireless access point and share the files across his whole network.
>
> So could you have iTunes or iPhoto on that drive and have both
> computers accessing and updating it?

Apparently so!

<http://www.tuaw.com/2007/03/02/tuaw-how-to-use-your-itunes-library-over-airport-disk/>

--
Blah blah bleh...
GCS/CM d(-)@>-- s+:- !a C++$ UBL++++$ L+$ W+++$ w M++ Y++ b++
 nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> uy two directional antennas for your routers and aim them at each
> other. get someone to help you align them.

A Bear Extender Mini *might* do it, it jacks right into the Mac with a
USB cable and you can aim it at your router. They make one which is
omnidirectional and one which is directional. I have the directional
one, and I still pick up a huge number of signals in my neighborhood,
not to mention mine. Works tremendously better on my mac mini than
airport ever did. And a piece of cake to set up.
http://store.bearextender.com/products/bearextender-mini
--
Live every day like it's your last--someday you'll be right.
0

el

on 2013-03-18 15:02 Robert Montgomery said the following:
> How could I get two desktop Macs in two apartments of the same
> building to share the same contents, so that if I change the
> contents of one computer, the changes are reflected in the other
> computer?
>
> I would be the only person operating the computers.
>
> In both apartments I want to operate printers connected to the
> desktop Macs.
>
> I have an Airport Extreme and an Airport Express already hooked up
> to my existing Mac, so I'm wondering how I could extend my network
> into the second apartment, which is in a different apartment of
> the same building.
>
> Robert

0
Dr