How do I update OS 9.0.4 to 9.2.2?

I am looking into upgrading my mother's 400MHz G3 iMac from OS
9.0.4 to OSX.  She'll need more RAM (what would be optimum here?),
but she seems to have enough disk space (10GB).  Looking at Apple's
"Upgrading Mac OS 9 to Mac OS X" web page I see that it is first
recommended that you upgrade to OS 9.2.2 using the Software Update
Control Panel.

However when I tried to do that it didn't work!  The first update
attempt seemed to update Software Update itself, and the second
got an update for something called CarbonLib.  But further clicking
on the Update Now button produced nothing -- the system seemed to
think it was entirely up to date.

So, was I going about this the right way, or do I need to do
something else?  Maybe there is no free update all the way from
9.0.4, and I need to purchase a copy of OS 9.2.2?  (Through the
"fulfillment program?")

Also, how big would this update be?  Is it something that could
reasonably be downloaded over a 56K dialup line?

And is running OSX on this machine a reasonable thing to do to
begin with?  I seem to remember reading that 10.3 is a lot snappier
than 10.2.  Is that true?

Any random thoughts you might have about this would be welcome!
--
John Brock
jbrock@panix.com

0
jbrock (81)
10/17/2003 9:37:45 PM
comp.sys.mac.misc 7155 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

In article <bmpnf9$h50$1@panix3.panix.com>,
 jbrock@panix.com (John Brock) wrote:

> So, was I going about this the right way, or do I need to do
> something else?

Never play strip tarot.
0
Michelle
10/17/2003 10:21:11 PM
In article <bmpnf9$h50$1@panix3.panix.com>,
 jbrock@panix.com (John Brock) wrote:

:> I am looking into upgrading my mother's 400MHz G3 iMac from OS
:> 9.0.4 to OSX.  She'll need more RAM (what would be optimum here?),
:> but she seems to have enough disk space (10GB).  Looking at Apple's
:> "Upgrading Mac OS 9 to Mac OS X" web page I see that it is first
:> recommended that you upgrade to OS 9.2.2 using the Software Update
:> Control Panel.
:>
[...]

At
<http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates
/> you can find lots of stuff available for download.  You'll probably
want North American English, and look under Macintosh, then System to
see what's available.  There's no 9.2.2 update there, only 9.2.1.  And
you'll need to have cookies enabled and answer an export statement to
download it.  9.2.2 is supposedly only of use for machines with OS X
where it'll server as Classic, though I don't know that for certain.

If that iMac has got built-in USB, it's supposed to be on the officially
supported list.  Whether it's worthwhile at 400MHz is a matter of
opinion.

= Steve =
--
Steve W. Jackson
Montgomery, Alabama
In article <bmpnf9$h50$1@panix3.panix.com>,
 jbrock@panix.com (John Brock) wrote:

> I am looking into upgrading my mother's 400MHz G3 iMac from OS
> 9.0.4 to OSX.  She'll need more RAM (what would be optimum here?),
> but she seems to have enough disk space (10GB).  Looking at Apple's
> "Upgrading Mac OS 9 to Mac OS X" web page I see that it is first
> recommended that you upgrade to OS 9.2.2 using the Software Update
> Control Panel.
>
> However when I tried to do that it didn't work!  The first update
> attempt seemed to update Software Update itself, and the second
> got an update for something called CarbonLib.  But further clicking
> on the Update Now button produced nothing -- the system seemed to
> think it was entirely up to date.
>
> So, was I going about this the right way, or do I need to do
> something else?  Maybe there is no free update all the way from
> 9.0.4, and I need to purchase a copy of OS 9.2.2?  (Through the
> "fulfillment program?")
>
> Also, how big would this update be?  Is it something that could
> reasonably be downloaded over a 56K dialup line?
>
> And is running OSX on this machine a reasonable thing to do to
> begin with?  I seem to remember reading that 10.3 is a lot snappier
> than 10.2.  Is that true?
>
> Any random thoughts you might have about this would be welcome!

Try the following which has the required downloads:

It is possible to update 9.0.4 to 9.2.2 for free but the update
downloads are a considerable size. Adding them up comes to approximately
177mb which really isn't feasible on dial-up. Do you know anyone who has
broadband who could download and burn them to disk for you? I remember
when using OS 9 that the Software Updater was always useless.

Regarding OS X, I'm currently using OS X 10.2 on an iMac 500mhz with
640mb of RAM and it works very well, though never quite as snappy as OS
9. The incredible improvement in stability is worth it though. If I
didn't have to start up OS 9 to use my online banking I'd delete it
entirely.

 I too have read that 10.3 is faster in the Finder department and I'm
looking forward to loading it.

Regards
John
In article <bmpnf9$h50$1@panix3.panix.com>,
 jbrock@panix.com (John Brock) wrote:

> I am looking into upgrading my mother's 400MHz G3 iMac from OS
> 9.0.4 to OSX.  She'll need more RAM (what would be optimum here?),
> but she seems to have enough disk space (10GB).  Looking at Apple's
> "Upgrading Mac OS 9 to Mac OS X" web page I see that it is first
> recommended that you upgrade to OS 9.2.2 using the Software Update
> Control Panel.
>
> However when I tried to do that it didn't work!  The first update
> attempt seemed to update Software Update itself, and the second
> got an update for something called CarbonLib.  But further clicking
> on the Update Now button produced nothing -- the system seemed to
> think it was entirely up to date.
>
> So, was I going about this the right way, or do I need to do
> something else?  Maybe there is no free update all the way from
> 9.0.4, and I need to purchase a copy of OS 9.2.2?  (Through the
> "fulfillment program?")

[GR]  When I did it, I downloaded the 9.1, the 9.2.1 and then the 9.2.2
updates and then I rebooted with the install CD and updated the OS from
there. It worked out nicely. Check out the 'readme' when you download
the updates.

> Also, how big would this update be?  Is it something that could
> reasonably be downloaded over a 56K dialup line?

[GR]   56K? Oy! Better brew a good pot of coffee some Staruday morning,
'cause the three downloads are whoppers.

9.1 update   71 MB
9.2.1 update   82 MB
9.2.2 update   21 MB

That's 174 MBs of updates on a 56K line. Are you a patient man?

You can get them all at this URL:

> And is running OSX on this machine a reasonable thing to do to
> begin with?  I seem to remember reading that 10.3 is a lot snappier
> than 10.2.  Is that true?
>
> Any random thoughts you might have about this would be welcome!

[GR]   I'm running OS X.2.8 on the same machine, an iMac G3, 400 MHz,
and while it's no speed demon, it runs nicely. OS 9 runs faster, to be
sure, but it's not OSX. One of the problems is the lack of RAM on the
video end. I have an onboard ATI rage 128 with 8 MB RAM, so I can take
advantage of the speed with that Crystal thingy, I think that's what
it's called. I don't know if Panther is snappier, but if I were you I'd
wait and try that. It'll be out in seven days.

--
GR Gaudreau
<http://grgaud.exchristian.info>
jbrock@panix.com wrote on 18/10/03 7:37 AM:

> I am looking into upgrading my mother's 400MHz G3 iMac from OS
> 9.0.4 to OSX.  She'll need more RAM (what would be optimum here?),

Check out your model specs here:
<http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/index.html>

> but she seems to have enough disk space (10GB).  Looking at Apple's
> "Upgrading Mac OS 9 to Mac OS X" web page I see that it is first
> recommended that you upgrade to OS 9.2.2 using the Software Update
> Control Panel.

Consider that OSX may need updated software of versions you have for OS9.
Reading the groups it seems that Classic OS 9.1 has less problems but it is
a personal choice.

> However when I tried to do that it didn't work!  The first update
> attempt seemed to update Software Update itself, and the second
> got an update for something called CarbonLib.  But further clicking
> on the Update Now button produced nothing -- the system seemed to
> think it was entirely up to date.

Assuming you are using Stuffit Expander when you download, make certain that
Preferences>Disk Mounting>Mount Disk Images is UNCHECKED.

> So, was I going about this the right way, or do I need to do
> something else?  Maybe there is no free update all the way from
> 9.0.4, and I need to purchase a copy of OS 9.2.2?  (Through the
> "fulfillment program?")

Following the process and I have done the same procedure. It is necessary to
install update 9.1 first then 9.2.x
These are free from the Apple Update site.
Also using a 56K dial up, it took me about 6 sessions. I live in a rural
place where 56k delivers approx 33K most of the time. From memory there were
6 parts, each about 11+MB and consequently about a 2 hour download. I am
sure you can do the math.

> Also, how big would this update be?  Is it something that could
> reasonably be downloaded over a 56K dialup line?
>
> And is running OSX on this machine a reasonable thing to do to
> begin with?  I seem to remember reading that 10.3 is a lot snappier
> than 10.2.  Is that true?

My only comment is that 9.1 is a very stable and smooth OS. You might ask
the OSX people to comment more on the practicality of the great looking OS.

> Any random thoughts you might have about this would be welcome!

Random thoughts seem to be the only ones, as one can get dizzy and lose
consciousness when concentrating hard.
Good Luck
kaisersozay
--
Email reply: remove _

0
usual
10/17/2003 11:01:46 PM
<jbrock@panix.com> wrote:

> I am looking into upgrading my mother's 400MHz G3 iMac from OS
> 9.0.4 to OSX.  She'll need more RAM (what would be optimum here?),
> but she seems to have enough disk space (10GB).  Looking at Apple's
> "Upgrading Mac OS 9 to Mac OS X" web page I see that it is first
> recommended that you upgrade to OS 9.2.2 using the Software Update
> Control Panel.
>
> However when I tried to do that it didn't work!  The first update
> attempt seemed to update Software Update itself, and the second
> got an update for something called CarbonLib.  But further clicking
> on the Update Now button produced nothing -- the system seemed to
> think it was entirely up to date.
>
> So, was I going about this the right way, or do I need to do
> something else?  Maybe there is no free update all the way from
> 9.0.4, and I need to purchase a copy of OS 9.2.2?  (Through the
> "fulfillment program?")
>
> Also, how big would this update be?  Is it something that could
> reasonably be downloaded over a 56K dialup line?
>
> And is running OSX on this machine a reasonable thing to do to
> begin with?  I seem to remember reading that 10.3 is a lot snappier
> than 10.2.  Is that true?
>
> Any random thoughts you might have about this would be welcome!

Check the OS X list of supported machines.  Some of the early iMacs
required that OS X be installed on the first 10 GB of the boot drive.

Cathy

--
"there's a dance or two in the old dame yet." - mehitabel

C.Stevenson, M.D.
cats1921@sonic.net
0
Cathy
10/17/2003 11:38:14 PM
In article <bmpnf9$h50$1@panix3.panix.com>,
 jbrock@panix.com (John Brock) wrote:

> So, was I going about this the right way, or do I need to do
> something else?  Maybe there is no free update all the way from
> 9.0.4, and I need to purchase a copy of OS 9.2.2?  (Through the
> "fulfillment program?")

It's certainly a free update, and I think I'm surprised that you're not
seeing any upgrade path showing up in Software Update, but it's been so
long that I did it I don't remember. It's also available as direct
downloads from Apple's support page.

Looks like you have to go in stages...
9.1: <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75103>
9.2.1: <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120030>
9.2.2: <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75186>

> Also, how big would this update be?  Is it something that could
> reasonably be downloaded over a 56K dialup line?

Huge. 175MB for the threesome. If your connections tend to be stable,
you could start the download and go relax for a while. If your
connections aren't stable, find a different path. Maybe a sympathetic
co-worker with broadband access and a CD burner.

The two larger updates are available in big files or segmented, but even
the segments are not tiny.

> And is running OSX on this machine a reasonable thing to do to
> begin with?

That really depends on her needs and expectations. Max out the RAM -
which is really not that expensive - and a G3/400 should be decent for
day-to-day stuff. She might even find it more useful that with 9. While
it will in reality be somewhat slower it'll also often be more
responsive and more available.

> I seem to remember reading that 10.3 is a lot snappier
> than 10.2.  Is that true?

It is reputed to be.
0
Gregory
10/18/2003 1:17:41 AM
GRGAUD <look@bottom.post> wrote:

> In article <bmpnf9$h50$1@panix3.panix.com>,
>  jbrock@panix.com (John Brock) wrote:

[...]
> > Also, how big would this update be?  Is it something that could
> > reasonably be downloaded over a 56K dialup line?
>
> [GR]   56K? Oy! Better brew a good pot of coffee some Staruday morning,
> 'cause the three downloads are whoppers.
>
> 9.1 update   71 MB
> 9.2.1 update   82 MB
> 9.2.2 update   21 MB
>
> That's 174 MBs of updates on a 56K line. Are you a patient man?

   With a reasonably good connection, it should take about 10 hours. I
have a pay per minute dialup line (and a 56k modem), and download chunks
of this size now and then. Most of the time it's cheaper than buying a
$19.95 CD, anyway. (10 hours costs me about $9, if I download evenings
to early mornings.)

--
http://www.flexusergroup.com/
0
 bskb@m.a.c.com (Bjarne B�ckstr�m) wrote:

> GRGAUD <look@bottom.post> wrote:
>
> > In article <bmpnf9$h50$1@panix3.panix.com>,
> >  jbrock@panix.com (John Brock) wrote:
> >
> [...]
> > > Also, how big would this update be?  Is it something that could
> > > reasonably be downloaded over a 56K dialup line?
> >
> > [GR]   56K? Oy! Better brew a good pot of coffee some Staruday morning,
> > 'cause the three downloads are whoppers.
> >
> > 9.1 update   71 MB
> > 9.2.1 update   82 MB
> > 9.2.2 update   21 MB
> >
> > That's 174 MBs of updates on a 56K line. Are you a patient man?
>
>    With a reasonably good connection, it should take about 10 hours. I
> have a pay per minute dialup line (and a 56k modem), and download chunks
> of this size now and then. Most of the time it's cheaper than buying a
> $19.95 CD, anyway. (10 hours costs me about $9, if I download evenings
> to early mornings.)

OP: Do you have a friend with cable or DSL who would download it, then
burn it to a CD for you?
0
nosredna
10/18/2003 1:59:48 PM
Cathy Stevenson <cats1921@sonic.net> wrote:

> Check the OS X list of supported machines.  Some of the early iMacs
> required that OS X be installed on the first 10 GB of the boot drive.

That's 8 GB, but for iMacs that's true only for the tray loading models,
and this iMac, at 400 MHz, must be slot loading model.

--
Mike Rosenberg

mike
10/18/2003 2:21:10 PM
In article <1g30r2d.1ciyqmf17wj0uN%mike@POSTTOGROUP.invalid>, Mike
Rosenberg <mike@POSTTOGROUP.invalid> wrote:

> Cathy Stevenson <cats1921@sonic.net> wrote:
>
> > Check the OS X list of supported machines.  Some of the early iMacs
> > required that OS X be installed on the first 10 GB of the boot drive.
>
> That's 8 GB, but for iMacs that's true only for the tray loading models,
> and this iMac, at 400 MHz, must be slot loading model.

Thanks, Mike. I mant to type 8 GB, but, oh well, age has its
compensation.  Maybe.

Cathy

--
"there's a dance or two in the old dame yet." - mehitabel

C.Stevenson, M.D.
cats1921@sonic.net
0
Cathy
10/18/2003 4:25:22 PM
In article <181020030925468536%cats1921@sonic.net>,
 Cathy Stevenson <cats1921@sonic.net> wrote:

> In article <1g30r2d.1ciyqmf17wj0uN%mike@POSTTOGROUP.invalid>, Mike
> Rosenberg <mike@POSTTOGROUP.invalid> wrote:
>
> > Cathy Stevenson <cats1921@sonic.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Check the OS X list of supported machines.  Some of the early iMacs
> > > required that OS X be installed on the first 10 GB of the boot drive.
> >
> > That's 8 GB, but for iMacs that's true only for the tray loading models,
> > and this iMac, at 400 MHz, must be slot loading model.
>
> Thanks, Mike. I mant to type 8 GB, but, oh well, age has its
> compensation.  Maybe.

You could have just claimed to be using base 8.

Gregory
10/18/2003 4:43:14 PM
<snip>
> > [GR]   56K? Oy! Better brew a good pot of coffee some Staruday morning,
> > 'cause the three downloads are whoppers.
> >
> > 9.1 update   71 MB
> > 9.2.1 update   82 MB
> > 9.2.2 update   21 MB
> >
> > That's 174 MBs of updates on a 56K line. Are you a patient man?
>
>    With a reasonably good connection, it should take about 10 hours. I
> have a pay per minute dialup line (and a 56k modem), and download chunks
> of this size now and then. Most of the time it's cheaper than buying a
> $19.95 CD, anyway. (10 hours costs me about $9, if I download evenings
> to early mornings.)

[GR]   10 hours?!?! OUCH!!! I can download that in about 30 minutes. I
don't know how I could ever go back to dial up from a Broadband
connection.

--
GR Gaudreau
http://grgaud.exchristian.info/
grgaud at sympatico dot ca
0
GR
10/18/2003 4:57:00 PM
GR Gaudreau <look@bottom.post> wrote:

[...]
> [GR]   10 hours?!?! OUCH!!! I can download that in about 30 minutes. I
> don't know how I could ever go back to dial up from a Broadband
> connection.

   Yes, yes, I already knew that broadband is faster than a 56k modem.
;-) Our telcos don't prioritize a village with less than 1000 households
out in the bush when they build broadband, unfortunately. But they say
we will get it Very Soon Now. They've said that for a couple of years,
by the way.
--
http://www.flexusergroup.com/
0
Bjarne B�ckstr�m wrote:
> GR Gaudreau <look@bottom.post> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>>[GR]   10 hours?!?! OUCH!!! I can download that in about 30 minutes. I
>>don't know how I could ever go back to dial up from a Broadband
>>connection.
>

>    Yes, yes, I already knew that broadband is faster than a 56k modem.
> ;-) Our telcos don't prioritize a village with less than 1000 households
> out in the bush when they build broadband, unfortunately. But they say
> we will get it Very Soon Now. They've said that for a couple of years,
> by the way.

[GR]   Well, I hope you get broadband really soon, Bjarne. BTW, I saw
you photo at the FLEXuser's web site. It's nice to put a face to a
name. Here's my sorry looking mug:

<http://grgaud.exchristian.info/mugshot.html>

0
GR
10/18/2003 7:45:48 PM

John Brock wrote:

> I am looking into upgrading my mother's 400MHz G3 iMac from OS
> 9.0.4 to OSX.  She'll need more RAM (what would be optimum here?),

As much as the machine will hold would be the best.

> Maybe there is no free update all the way from
> 9.0.4, and I need to purchase a copy of OS 9.2.2?  (Through the
> "fulfillment program?")

If you already own OSX you can get the 9.2.2 through fulfillment for
$19.95 plus tax. There is no free upgrade path from 9.0.4.

> Also, how big would this update be?  Is it something that could
> reasonably be downloaded over a 56K dialup line?

If you pay an hourly rate, no. If I remember the 9.2.x updater download
is about 25 meg or so.

> And is running OSX on this machine a reasonable thing to do to
> begin with?

If it does run on an iMac, it will run slowly. A speedy graphics card is
a must. If that isn't upgradeable you might have a problem.

> I seem to remember reading that 10.3 is a lot snappier
> than 10.2.  Is that true?

Will 10.3 even run on your machine? Check out the specs very closely...

And last but not least...are you entirely sure your mother *really*
wants OSX? It's a completely different operating system and can be
rather user unfriendly to some, not at all like OS9.

George

0
majus (35)
10/30/2003 2:41:08 AM
On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 20:41:08 -0600,
    George Thomas (majus@airmail.net) wrote:
>> I seem to remember reading that 10.3 is a lot snappier
>> than 10.2.  Is that true?
>
> Will 10.3 even run on your machine? Check out the specs very closely...

You're spreading FUD.  It absolutely will run on an iMac.

Beverly
--
Bev A. Kupf
Sussex - Division One Champions 2003!
 George Thomas <majus@airmail.net> wrote:

> Will 10.3 even run on your machine? Check out the specs very closely...

Huh? What in the world would make you think you couldn't run 10.3 on a
G3 iMac?

From Apple:

1.  Confirm that your hardware can run Mac OS X Version 10.3 Panther
Mac OS X Version 10.3 requires a Macintosh with a PowerPC G3, G4, or G5
processor, built-in USB; at least 128MB of physical RAM and a built-in
display or a display connected to an Apple-supplied video card supported
by your computer. Mac OS X does not support processor upgrade cards.
Verify your hardware is supported from the list below.

2.  Verify you have enough hard drive space.
While the amount of disk space required depends on your computer and the
way you are installing Mac OS X, you are recommended to have at least
2.0 GB of available space on your hard drive, or 3.5GB of disk space if
you install developer tools.

3.  Check out third party hardware and software compatibility:
Third Party Hardware. Mac OS X Version 10.3 Panther includes
out-of-the-box functionality for many hardware devices. Mac OS X will
automatically configure itself to support most Canon, HP and Epson USB
inkjet printers. Mac OS X Image Capture will work with USB digital still
cameras that support mass storage, PTP and Digita, plus an array of
cameras from Canon, Kodak and Nikon. However, some devices may need
additional driver support from the manufacturer. Please check with the
manufacturer of your product to see if Mac OS X Version 10.3-compatible
drivers are available.

Third Party Software. The Classic environment in Mac OS X is based upon
an installation of Mac OS 9.1 or later (9.2.2 recommended). Most Mac OS
9-compatible applications will run in the Classic environment. If you
have any questions, contact the vendor of your product.

-Sloopy
0
sloopy (222)
10/30/2003 3:02:53 AM
In article <bmpnf9$h50$1@panix3.panix.com>,
 jbrock@panix.com (John Brock) wrote:

> So, was I going about this the right way, or do I need to do
> something else?  Maybe there is no free update all the way from
> 9.0.4, and I need to purchase a copy of OS 9.2.2?  (Through the
> "fulfillment program?")

You can go from 9.0.4 to 9.2.2 with free downloads.
Charlie Dilks
Newark, DE  USA
0
Charlie
10/30/2003 8:11:37 AM
On 30/10/03 8:11 am, in article
cdilks-45A2C0.03113730102003@news.fu-berlin.de, "Charlie Dilks"
<cdilks@nospam.net> wrote:

> In article <bmpnf9$h50$1@panix3.panix.com>,
> jbrock@panix.com (John Brock) wrote:
>
>> So, was I going about this the right way, or do I need to do
>> something else?  Maybe there is no free update all the way from
>> 9.0.4, and I need to purchase a copy of OS 9.2.2?  (Through the
>> "fulfillment program?")
>
> You can go from 9.0.4 to 9.2.2 with free downloads.

Having tried, I don't think so. There is no upgrade from 9.1 to 9.2

0
Mike
10/30/2003 7:38:45 PM
In article <BBC71945.196B4%mike.2871DELETE_ME@btinternet.com>,
 Mike <mike.2871DELETE_ME@btinternet.com> wrote:

> On 30/10/03 8:11 am, in article
> cdilks-45A2C0.03113730102003@news.fu-berlin.de, "Charlie Dilks"
> <cdilks@nospam.net> wrote:
>
> > In article <bmpnf9$h50$1@panix3.panix.com>,
> > jbrock@panix.com (John Brock) wrote:
> >
> >> So, was I going about this the right way, or do I need to do
> >> something else?  Maybe there is no free update all the way from
> >> 9.0.4, and I need to purchase a copy of OS 9.2.2?  (Through the
> >> "fulfillment program?")
> >
> > You can go from 9.0.4 to 9.2.2 with free downloads.
> > http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75288
>
> Having tried, I don't think so. There is no upgrade from 9.1 to 9.2

While technically correct in that there's no upgrade path from 9.1 to
9.2, 9.2 was ONLY available as the OS that came with the first
generation Quicksilver G4s (and probably a few other models that shipped
around that time).  9.2.1 was the first public release of 9.2.x.  It's
also free.  Once 9.2.1 is installed you can get the 9.2.2 install.

So yes, you can get from 9.0.4 to 9.2.2.  Do not pay attention to people
that tell you you cannot (unless you don't have supported hardware, but
even then there's a chance of a work around.).  They do not know what
they're talking about.
0
Avelino
10/30/2003 8:38:16 PM
Mike wrote:

> Having tried, I don't think so. There is no upgrade from 9.1 to 9.2

No, there's an upgrade from 9.1 to 9.2.1 though.

9.2 was a minor update to support new hardware. Apple's existing version
numbering convention would have named it 9.1.1, but it was released as 9.2.

Why? Well, it's just speculation, but almost certainly to avoid
inevitable "call 9-1-1!" jokes (this was before the terrorist attack on
the WTC).

If that wasn't an issue, the version numbers would likely have never
been advanced to 9.2. There's just not that much in the way of updates
post 9.1.

0
Steven
10/30/2003 8:57:32 PM
In article <0Xeob.227078$pl3.164468@pd7tw3no>, Steven Fisher
<sdfisher@spamcop.net> wrote:

> Mike wrote:
>
> > Having tried, I don't think so. There is no upgrade from 9.1 to 9.2
>
> No, there's an upgrade from 9.1 to 9.2.1 though.

This works, because I've done exactly that on the PowerBook G3 I'm
typing this on.  The subsequent update from 9.2.1 to 9.2.2 also works.

For the record, the "Before You Install" file from the 9.2.1 disk image
states, "Mac OS 9.2 update requires Mac OS 9.1..."
0
David
10/31/2003 7:16:06 PM
Steve W. Jackson wrote:

>At
><http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates
>/> you can find lots of stuff available for download.  You'll probably
>want North American English, and look under Macintosh, then System to
>see what's available.

There's a 9.0.4 Update on this site but no documentation.
By chance, this isn't a free path up from Mac OS 8.6, is it?

gld

0
Gary
11/7/2003 7:34:02 AM
Gary L. Dare <gld_nospam@nospam.ripco.com> wrote:

> There's a 9.0.4 Update on this site but no documentation.
> By chance, this isn't a free path up from Mac OS 8.6, is it?

Nope.  To get to 9.x from any 8.x you have to buy a CD.

--
Mike Rosenberg

mike