How to use iTunes with *both* an iPod mini and iPod 15Gig?

I just bought my son an iPod mini for his birthday; my other son has a 15G
iPod (I'm not sure as to which "generation" this is, as it bears a 2003 date
on the back side and I think we got it in 2004; if anyone can help, I'll
need to replace the battery soon and may do it myself to save money, so I'd
need to determine the "generation" for ordering the battery).

Anyway, my question is simple and I admit to not really snooping around in
iTunes to find the answer yet. We already have a mess of music in the iTunes
music folder and I'd guess that it would easily fill up the new iPod mini
with alot of music that the younger boy doesn't like or want. Is there a
simple way to create a playlist or file/folder for each of them that would
then fill or refresh via an "update" only what they each would want when
they recharge or update their respective iPod devices?

Much thanks for any help!
Paul Soderman

0
Kidpocono2 (24)
4/3/2005 7:46:00 PM
comp.sys.mac.misc 7155 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

Paul Soderman  wrote:

>Anyway, my question is simple and I admit to not really snooping around
>in iTunes to find the answer yet. [...]  Is there a simple way to
>create a playlist or file/folder for each of them that would then fill
>or refresh via an "update" only what they each would want when they
>recharge or update their respective iPod devices?

Each device will show up with its own name and you can set preferences
for each one.  I have "Auto everything" for my 60GB photo, a handful of
selected lists for the mini, and my podcasts for the shuffle.  It all
Just Works.

Jim
--
"I regard NASCAR the same way I regard gay porn: I know it exists and I
know some guys like it; I just don't want to see it."  --  Z. B. Goode
 Paul Soderman <Kidpocono@comcast.net> wrote:

> I just bought my son an iPod mini for his birthday; my other son has a 15G
> iPod (I'm not sure as to which "generation" this is, as it bears a 2003 date
> on the back side and I think we got it in 2004; if anyone can help, I'll
> need to replace the battery soon and may do it myself to save money, so I'd
> need to determine the "generation" for ordering the battery).
>
> Anyway, my question is simple and I admit to not really snooping around in
> iTunes to find the answer yet. We already have a mess of music in the iTunes
> music folder and I'd guess that it would easily fill up the new iPod mini
> with alot of music that the younger boy doesn't like or want. Is there a
> simple way to create a playlist or file/folder for each of them that would
> then fill or refresh via an "update" only what they each would want when
> they recharge or update their respective iPod devices?
>
> Much thanks for any help!
> Paul Soderman

Follow this link, then click on  "learn more"
http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/tutorial/ip_gettingstarted_t2.html
is spells out that you can have multiple iPods with iTunes.

In itunes preferences>ipod.
set it to update the selected playlists.
0
calvin (79)
4/4/2005 4:39:00 AM
You may want to give PodMaxx a try:

http://www.unlockpod.com

It will let you transfer your iPod files back and forth, or you can
grab files from any iPod, and put them on any iPod. It's great if you
have multiple iPods, or if you have friends with iPod's!

It will also let you transfer files both ways, even using your iPod as
a backup drive for your PC, that is if you're using Windows at all.

It's only $20, and it's worth a look!

cheers
-jeff

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 15:46:00 -0400, Paul Soderman
<Kidpocono@comcast.net> wrote:

>I just bought my son an iPod mini for his birthday; my other son has a 15G
>iPod (I'm not sure as to which "generation" this is, as it bears a 2003 date
>on the back side and I think we got it in 2004; if anyone can help, I'll
>need to replace the battery soon and may do it myself to save money, so I'd
>need to determine the "generation" for ordering the battery).
>
>Anyway, my question is simple and I admit to not really snooping around in
>iTunes to find the answer yet. We already have a mess of music in the iTunes
>music folder and I'd guess that it would easily fill up the new iPod mini
>with alot of music that the younger boy doesn't like or want. Is there a
>simple way to create a playlist or file/folder for each of them that would
>then fill or refresh via an "update" only what they each would want when
>they recharge or update their respective iPod devices?
>
>Much thanks for any help!
>Paul Soderman

0
mdnitehk (6)
11/17/2005 8:23:31 PM
In article <abopn1pomanad5r8ue5ldqbr49o01s2s10@4ax.com>,
 Jeff Homan <mdnitehk@gmail.com> wrote:

> You may want to give PodMaxx a try:
>
> http://www.unlockpod.com
>
> It will let you transfer your iPod files back and forth, or you can
> grab files from any iPod, and put them on any iPod. It's great if you
> have multiple iPods, or if you have friends with iPod's!
>
> It will also let you transfer files both ways, even using your iPod as
> a backup drive for your PC, that is if you're using Windows at all.
>
> It's only $20, and it's worth a look!
>
> cheers
> -jeff
>

> On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 15:46:00 -0400, Paul Soderman
> <Kidpocono@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> >I just bought my son an iPod mini for his birthday; my other son has a 15G
> >iPod (I'm not sure as to which "generation" this is, as it bears a 2003 date
> >on the back side and I think we got it in 2004; if anyone can help, I'll
> >need to replace the battery soon and may do it myself to save money, so I'd
> >need to determine the "generation" for ordering the battery).
> >
> >Anyway, my question is simple and I admit to not really snooping around in
> >iTunes to find the answer yet. We already have a mess of music in the iTunes
> >music folder and I'd guess that it would easily fill up the new iPod mini
> >with alot of music that the younger boy doesn't like or want. Is there a
> >simple way to create a playlist or file/folder for each of them that would
> >then fill or refresh via an "update" only what they each would want when
> >they recharge or update their respective iPod devices?
> >
> >Much thanks for any help!
> >Paul Soderman

I have a 20gb, 40gb and a shuffle all tied to a single machine.  My
library is about 24gb so the 40bg can take the whole libary.  For the
20gb and shuffle you can create a playlist for each or multiple lists.
Once you attach the device select go to the settings and select the
option to only load the chosen playlists select as many as the device
will hold.

--
Take out the "REMOVE" in the return address to reply
0