Looks like Tiger will have Korn shell...yeah!

Hi Folks,

    Yeah, for old farts like me that spent years on SVR4 UNIX
the inclusion of Korn shell is a good thing.  I wonder what
version will deliver......

JC
0
jcrowe3 (10)
4/15/2005 2:15:16 AM
comp.sys.mac.misc 7155 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

Joseph Crowe <jcrowe@sensation.com> wrote:
> Hi Folks,

>     Yeah, for old farts like me that spent years on SVR4 UNIX
> the inclusion of Korn shell is a good thing.  I wonder what
> version will deliver......

Awesome!  Well, young farts (24) like it too... I learned it in school
and have used it since.  Think I'm the only one at my job that does...
others seem to prefer csh/tcsh (bah!).

I was already planning to get Tiger at some point, but this is added
incentive.  I'm using zsh with Panther at the moment, but the differences
with ksh tend to annoy me, so this is great news.  I know there's already
a ksh package one can download from AT&T with some really wacky
installation procedure, but I'm far too lazy to figure that out.  But
here's the link for anyone more motivated (second one down on the list...
darwin.ppc):

http://www.research.att.com/~gsf/cgi-bin/download.cgi?action=list&name=ksh

Nick
0
news221 (2)
4/15/2005 7:59:15 PM
On 2005-04-15, Nick Wilson <news@nickw.users.panix.com> wrote:
> Joseph Crowe <jcrowe@sensation.com> wrote:
>>     Yeah, for old farts like me that spent years on SVR4 UNIX
>> the inclusion of Korn shell is a good thing.  I wonder what
>> version will deliver......
> Awesome!  Well, young farts (24) like it too... I learned it in school
> and have used it since.  Think I'm the only one at my job that does...
> others seem to prefer csh/tcsh (bah!).

Uhm...OS X has come with bash since 10.2...what need does ksh provide that
bash won't fulfill?
0
jmaynard (220)
4/15/2005 8:11:02 PM
Jay Maynard <jmaynard@thebrain.conmicro.cx> wrote:
> On 2005-04-15, Nick Wilson <news@nickw.users.panix.com> wrote:
> > Joseph Crowe <jcrowe@sensation.com> wrote:
> >>     Yeah, for old farts like me that spent years on SVR4 UNIX
> >> the inclusion of Korn shell is a good thing.  I wonder what
> >> version will deliver......
> > Awesome!  Well, young farts (24) like it too... I learned it in school
> > and have used it since.  Think I'm the only one at my job that does...
> > others seem to prefer csh/tcsh (bah!).

> Uhm...OS X has come with bash since 10.2...what need does ksh provide that
> bash won't fulfill?

I like the one line vi editor I get on the command line with "export
EDITOR=vi".  I like the fact that when I hit "<Esc>, k" to get into
command mode and bring up the previous command, the cursor is at the
beginning of the line (as opposed to at the end, with zsh).  Little
things... I've been using it for years and do have my habits, so if I can
get it on my home machine, all the better.  I'm not interested in another
shell providing equivalent functionality that I have to get at through
different means... I simply don't want to have to change my behavior to
continue to do the things I'm used to doing.

Nick
0
news221 (2)
4/15/2005 8:22:12 PM
Hi Jay,
On Fri, 15 Apr 2005, Jay Maynard wrote:

> On 2005-04-15, Nick Wilson <news@nickw.users.panix.com> wrote:
>> Joseph Crowe <jcrowe@sensation.com> wrote:
>>>     Yeah, for old farts like me that spent years on SVR4 UNIX
>>> the inclusion of Korn shell is a good thing.  I wonder what
>>> version will deliver......
>> Awesome!  Well, young farts (24) like it too... I learned it in school
>> and have used it since.  Think I'm the only one at my job that does...
>> others seem to prefer csh/tcsh (bah!).
>
> Uhm...OS X has come with bash since 10.2...what need does ksh provide that
> bash won't fulfill?

    Maybe nothing, but maybe a lot.  I am very familiar with the Korn
shell for scripting and use a lot of features that I believe are unique
to it, like the substring functions etc.  A lot of stuff that is builtin
in Korn shell required fork()/exec() calls in at least the Bourne shell.
I also like the choice of Emacs/vi command line editting personalities.
I also like the history mechanism on Korn shell.  Choice of shells can
be a religious argument, suffice it to say, I prefer Korn shell.  As
always, YMMV.  Nothing against bash.....

--
Joseph Crowe
0
 Nick Wilson <news@nickw.users.panix.com> wrote:

> I was already planning to get Tiger at some point, but this is added
> incentive.  I'm using zsh with Panther at the moment, but the differences
> with ksh tend to annoy me, so this is great news.  I know there's already
> a ksh package one can download from AT&T with some really wacky
> installation procedure, but I'm far too lazy to figure that out.  But
> here's the link for anyone more motivated (second one down on the list...
> darwin.ppc):

I have it and it runs fine.

--
Robert B. Peirce, Venetia, PA  724-941-6883
bob AT peirce-family.com [Mac]

0
bob149 (214)