Mac ability alternative?

Hi,

I like Macs. I have several pieces of Mac hardware. I like and until
recently used and needed the capability of the various Mac OSs to
maintain notes, contacts and calendars across several devices (to
assist the care of a relative that has recently passed... lists of
medicines, notes from appointments, phone numbers of medical providers
and insurance and calendar appointments shared with multiple people).
I am about to enter a phase of life where I may not be able to
afford expensive devices. My home is unix and that's where I'll
return. I *really* like the ability to have calendars, contacts and
notes across multiple platforms. If I do not have Macs how can I
recreate this functionality? As far as a protocol I have that of
IMAPS as a means of storing and retrieving multiple "items".

Any thoughts about a different protocol or a different/better way
to go about this? One of my children has recently said that the
Google universe would provide all I'm looking for (except the way
to send SMS messages from your laptop through your phone? (not
mentioned above)).

I may have to write all the software myself for this. I know in
mutt(1) I can edit email messages on an imap server, so that's part
of the problem.

I'll cross post this query to multiple usenet groups as I find them.

TIA

Mike
0
Mike
12/12/2016 5:35:30 PM
comp.sys.mac.misc 7155 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

For your reference, records indicate that
Mike <mikeegg1@mac.com> wrote:

> I *really* like the ability to have calendars, contacts and
> notes across multiple platforms. If I do not have Macs how can I
> recreate this functionality?

Install something like <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OwnCloud> on
a server that is accessible by all your devices/users/platforms.

> I'll cross post this query to multiple usenet groups as I find them.

That’s not how crossposting works.

--
"Also . . . I can kill you with my brain."
River Tam, Trash, Firefly

0
Doc
12/12/2016 10:50:54 PM
On 2016-12-12, Doc O'Leary <droleary@2015usenet1.subsume.com> wrote:
> For your reference, records indicate that
> Mike <mikeegg1@mac.com> wrote:
>
>> I *really* like the ability to have calendars, contacts and
>> notes across multiple platforms. If I do not have Macs how can I
>> recreate this functionality?
>
> Install something like <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OwnCloud> on
> a server that is accessible by all your devices/users/platforms.

I have installed this on an ubuntu server here at home, recommended
there are some very good howto's on the OwnCloud site to take you
through all the installation steps, takes a while, but works
it can be accessed from pretty well any device or machine
>> I'll cross post this query to multiple usenet groups as I find them.
>
> That’s not how crossposting works.

--
Martin
0
On Tuesday, December 13, 2016 at 1:52:17 AM UTC+3, Doc O'Leary wrote:
> For your reference, records indicate that=20
> Mike <mikeegg1@mac.com> wrote:
>=20
> > I *really* like the ability to have calendars, contacts and
> > notes across multiple platforms. If I do not have Macs how can I
> > recreate this functionality?
>=20
> Install something like <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OwnCloud> on=20
> a server that is accessible by all your devices/users/platforms.
>=20
> > I'll cross post this query to multiple usenet groups as I find them.
>=20
> That=E2=80=99s not how crossposting works.
>=20
He meant "in the follow up posts".
(Says the google groups poster, sure, laugh it off)
0
aglyport