Need hardware help

I have a B&W G3 and we are trying to get onto Broadband.However, when I
plugged the router into the Ethernet slot on the back of the G3 and
went to change the Network preferences I got the message "the cable for
Built-in Ethernet is not plugged in". Setting up the router on my
husband's Quicksilver, however, was no problem. We opened the G3,
thinking all the bits and pieces we'd added to it might have dislodged
a cable to the Ethernet plug, but there was absolutely nothing there.
Everything that should have been plugged in was plugged in. I bought
the machine second-hand (partly because it had a serial card and a SCSI
card) some 5-6 years ago. Did it come, please, with something missing?
I do hope there's a hardware techie out there who can help me. Thanks
in advance for your trouble.

0
lbarker (73)
6/29/2006 10:13:14 PM
comp.sys.mac.misc 7155 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

In article <1151619193.972731.311800@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com>,
Laraine <lbarker@orcon.net.nz> wrote:

> I have a B&W G3 and we are trying to get onto Broadband.However, when I
> plugged the router into the Ethernet slot on the back of the G3 and
> went to change the Network preferences I got the message "the cable for
> Built-in Ethernet is not plugged in". Setting up the router on my
> husband's Quicksilver, however, was no problem. We opened the G3,
> thinking all the bits and pieces we'd added to it might have dislodged
> a cable to the Ethernet plug, but there was absolutely nothing there.
> Everything that should have been plugged in was plugged in. I bought
> the machine second-hand (partly because it had a serial card and a SCSI
> card) some 5-6 years ago. Did it come, please, with something missing?
> I do hope there's a hardware techie out there who can help me. Thanks
> in advance for your trouble.

First, try a known good cable.
0
dave16 (4224)
6/29/2006 10:32:26 PM
Thank you, Dave. It was a brand new cable belonging to a brand new
modem, and it worked fine on my husband's Quicksilver. But it doesn't
matter now. We will have to send the modem back. Telecom New Zealand
has been playing games with my ISP. They seem to enjoy irritating
almost everybody. Either that or they really are as stupid as they
appear. I'll worry about my Ethernet connection not working properly
next time I need it (which will probably be never). But thanks for your
help. It's much appreciated.

0
lbarker (73)