Problem with Mail,mail won�t send

My partner has a G4 with OS X 10.3.9.
Recently lots of messages have refused to send from her Mail
Outbox,resulting in the App beachballing/having to be ForceQuit.
Sometimes she gets the following error message:-
�This message could not be delivered and will remain in your Outbox
until it can be delivered.
Verify that you have addressed the msg correctly.Check smtp settings
in Mail preferences and verify any advanced setup with your system
administrator�.

I�ve tried the following things:-
Repair permissions
Zap PRAM
Rebuild Mailboxes
Tried trashing Mail prefs but when she tries to log in again with the
correct details,she gets an �unable to connect� msg,so we have to drag
the old prefs back out of the Trash

Any ideas?

--
Posted at author's request, using moderated http://www.MacForumz.com interface
Thread archive: http://www.MacForumz.com/Problem-Mail-mail-won-ftopict198962.html

In article <824699_a9933958fc0b7a99216f0c88d0ab37a4@macforumz.com>,
 zzzuppp <none@000.com> wrote:

> My partner has a G4 with OS X 10.3.9.
> Recently lots of messages have refused to send from her Mail
> Outbox,resulting in the App beachballing/having to be ForceQuit.
> Sometimes she gets the following error message:-
> �This message could not be delivered and will remain in your Outbox
> until it can be delivered.
> Verify that you have addressed the msg correctly.Check smtp settings
> in Mail preferences and verify any advanced setup with your system
> administrator�.
>
> I�ve tried the following things:-
> Repair permissions
> Zap PRAM
> Rebuild Mailboxes
> Tried trashing Mail prefs but when she tries to log in again with the
> correct details,she gets an �unable to connect� msg,so we have to drag
> the old prefs back out of the Trash
>
> Any ideas?

A silly question, perhaps, but did you try verifying the settings? Is it
possible that the ISP involved has recently increased the security on
their mail server, as Comcast did to me without warning earlier this
year?

--
"Harry?" Ron's voice was a mere whisper. "Do you smell something ... burning?"
   - Harry Potter and the Odor of the Phoenix
On 2008-07-29 00:22:12 +0100, zzzuppp <none@000.com> said:

> My partner has a G4 with OS X 10.3.9.
> Recently lots of messages have refused to send from her Mail
> Outbox,resulting in the App beachballing/having to be ForceQuit.
> Sometimes she gets the following error message:-
> �This message could not be delivered and will remain in your Outbox
> until it can be delivered.
> Verify that you have addressed the msg correctly.Check smtp settings
> in Mail preferences and verify any advanced setup with your system
> administrator�.
>
> I�ve tried the following things:-
> Repair permissions
> Zap PRAM
> Rebuild Mailboxes
> Tried trashing Mail prefs but when she tries to log in again with the
> correct details,she gets an �unable to connect� msg,so we have to drag
> the old prefs back out of the Trash

Hi

I think you might find this Ebook worthwhile:

<http://www.takecontrolbooks.com/leopard-apple-mail.html>

I have the "Tiger" version.

There's a chapter called "FIX EMAIL TRANSFER PROBLEMS" and that is
divided in two. "Incoming Mail Problems" and "Outgoing Mail (SMTP)
Problems".

I think its good stuff. You'll have things back to normal quickly.

Then you might find that in the rest of the book there is great stuff
about using Mail. It really is such an underestimated email client :)

You've found "Repair Permissions", "Zap PRAM" and "Rebuild Mailboxes"
have made no difference. That doesn't surprise me. Like you I have a
tendency to go into these rituals whenever something goes wrong but I
end up having to find out what the problem is anyway :) "Rebuild
Mailboxes" is handy when Mail gets confused about the its Mailbox
contents.
--
Patrick

<http://www.patrickjames.me.uk>

Not to suggest in any way that you aren't welcome here :-) but this issue
isn't related to MS product at all. Not only is this a MS product related
newsgroup, but it's one of the least frequently visited - note the scant
number of messages - so you really aren't likely to find a solution here...
At least not in a very timely fashion.

I agree with Gregory that this is almost definitely an email service issue.
You'd be better off to address something like this to the mail service
provider/ISP involved. They should be far more likely & properly equipped to
resolve the issue. There may also be some useful information in Apple's
Discussions or Support site regarding their Mail application:

http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa

http://www.apple.com/support/

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 7/28/08 7:22 PM, in article
<none@000.com> wrote:

> My partner has a G4 with OS X 10.3.9.
> Recently lots of messages have refused to send from her Mail
> Outbox,resulting in the App beachballing/having to be ForceQuit.
> Sometimes she gets the following error message:-
> ‚This message could not be delivered and will remain in your Outbox
> until it can be delivered.
> Verify that you have addressed the msg correctly.Check smtp settings
> in Mail preferences and verify any advanced setup with your system
> administrator‚.
>
> I‚ve tried the following things:-
> Repair permissions
> Zap PRAM
> Rebuild Mailboxes
> Tried trashing Mail prefs but when she tries to log in again with the
> correct details,she gets an ‚unable to connect‚ msg,so we have to drag
> the old prefs back out of the Trash
>
> Any ideas?

 Dumb mail related question.How do you change preferred email provider
settings,and get rid of the one Apple has built into the computer?

                                                               Roger
Kulp
On 2008-09-10 15:48:06 -0400, Roger Kulp <thorenstd124@yahoo.com> said:

>  Dumb mail related question.How do you change preferred email provider
> settings,and get rid of the one Apple has built into the computer?
>
>                                                                Roger
> Kulp

In Mail, go to the Mail drop down menu and click on Preferences. Open
the Accounts tab and change the info to your settings.
--
John Gentile
Newsletter editor

0
yjgent3 (2)
9/11/2008 1:09:06 AM
Roger Kulp <thorenstd124@yahoo.com> wrote:

>  Dumb mail related question.How do you change preferred email provider
> settings,and get rid of the one Apple has built into the computer?
>
>                                                                Roger
> Kulp

What's with your punctuation? Not being rude (or maybe I am anyway, but
oh well), just curious.
jamiekg505 (3043)
9/11/2008 3:16:32 AM
Roger Kulp wrote:
>  Dumb mail related question.How do you change preferred email provider
> settings,and get rid of the one Apple has built into the computer?
>
>                                                                Roger
> Kulp

If you are referring to your Apple *Mail* client that's built into OS-X,
I'm not really sure it has a "preferred" email provider?

Perhaps, you mean by "preferred" Apple's $99 dot-mac (.mac) service that
  has been recently changed to MobileMe?

If so, instead of paying Apple $99 for MobileMe, you can instead open a
free Gmail acct and configure Gmail's servers to work with your Mac's
Mail client for FREE - here are Gmail's directions for POP:

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/topic.py?topic=12805

The other protocol you can use is IMAP:

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/topic.py?topic=12806

IMAP is probably the better protocol to use.

Ken
0
csdine2 (17)