Python

Stupid me! I was updating to the latest version and noticed there were
quite a few older versions on the system so I deleted them, only to
discover that OSX expects a particular version.  I have a huge variety
to choose from, so what do I need for 10.8?  Further, since I am going
to be moving to 10.9, what do I need for that.

I updated one computer to 10.9 and found there were still several
versions installed.  I would like to know what I can delete without
blowing up the system.
0
Robert
5/20/2014 11:24:09 PM
comp.sys.mac.misc 7155 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

Robert Peirce <bob@peirce-family.com> wrote:

> Stupid me! I was updating to the latest version and noticed there were
> quite a few older versions on the system so I deleted them, only to
> discover that OSX expects a particular version.  I have a huge variety
> to choose from, so what do I need for 10.8?  Further, since I am going
> to be moving to 10.9, what do I need for that.

The safest solution would be to reinstall OS X, which will reinstall the
Apple-patched variants of Python the system is expecting. A third party
build of the same version won't necessarily put files in the places
Apple's stuff expects them to be.

If you are going to 10.9 anyway, then simply install 10.9, which will
install any Python pieces Apple wants.

If that upgrade will be delayed somewhat and you need it working on
10.8.5 in the meantime then you should do a full reinstall of 10.8.5
(and all subsequent software updates). If you don't have a copy of the
10.8.5 installer you can re-download it from the App Store. If you kept
an older minor version, you can install from that and reapply the 10.8.5
combo update.

Alternatively, restore the system from the backup you made just before
you started deleting parts of the operating system.

> I updated one computer to 10.9 and found there were still several
> versions installed.  I would like to know what I can delete without
> blowing up the system.

Don't delete any of the ones Apple put there.

If you want your own Python version, install it outside of the standard
hierarchy Apple uses, e.g. via something like MacPorts (which uses /opt
if I remember right).

--
David Empson
dempson@actrix.gen.nz
  Robert Peirce <bob@peirce-family.com> wrote:
> Stupid me! I was updating to the latest version and noticed there were
> quite a few older versions on the system so I deleted them, only to
> discover that OSX expects a particular version.  I have a huge variety
> to choose from, so what do I need for 10.8?  Further, since I am going
> to be moving to 10.9, what do I need for that.

> I updated one computer to 10.9 and found there were still several
> versions installed.  I would like to know what I can delete without
> blowing up the system.

Do not delete anything the system installed.

--
"I hope someday you know the indescribable joy of having children, and
of paying someone else to raise them."
On 5/21/14 12:56 AM, Lewis wrote:
> In message <llgo6s$lb2$1@dont-email.me>
>    Robert Peirce <bob@peirce-family.com> wrote:
>> Stupid me! I was updating to the latest version and noticed there were
>> quite a few older versions on the system so I deleted them, only to
>> discover that OSX expects a particular version.  I have a huge variety
>> to choose from, so what do I need for 10.8?  Further, since I am going
>> to be moving to 10.9, what do I need for that.
>
>> I updated one computer to 10.9 and found there were still several
>> versions installed.  I would like to know what I can delete without
>> blowing up the system.
>
> Do not delete anything the system installed.

Obviously.  Unfortunately, I didn't know it installed them!  I
re-installed 2.3, 2.5, 2.6 and 2.7 from backup, although I have no idea
why I need all of them.
0
Robert
5/21/2014 1:29:48 PM
In message <lli9od$sem$1@dont-email.me>
  Robert Peirce <bob@peirce-family.com> wrote:
> On 5/21/14 12:56 AM, Lewis wrote:
>> In message <llgo6s$lb2$1@dont-email.me>
>>    Robert Peirce <bob@peirce-family.com> wrote:
>>> Stupid me! I was updating to the latest version and noticed there were
>>> quite a few older versions on the system so I deleted them, only to
>>> discover that OSX expects a particular version.  I have a huge variety
>>> to choose from, so what do I need for 10.8?  Further, since I am going
>>> to be moving to 10.9, what do I need for that.
>>
>>> I updated one computer to 10.9 and found there were still several
>>> versions installed.  I would like to know what I can delete without
>>> blowing up the system.
>>
>> Do not delete anything the system installed.
>>
> Obviously.  Unfortunately, I didn't know it installed them!

Do not delete anything in /System or /Library

--
In Genua, stories came to life. In Genua, someone set out to make dreams
come true.  Remember some of your dreams?
Robert Peirce <bob@peirce-family.com> wrote:

> On 5/21/14 12:56 AM, Lewis wrote:
> > In message <llgo6s$lb2$1@dont-email.me>
> >    Robert Peirce <bob@peirce-family.com> wrote:
> >> Stupid me! I was updating to the latest version and noticed there were
> >> quite a few older versions on the system so I deleted them, only to
> >> discover that OSX expects a particular version.  I have a huge variety
> >> to choose from, so what do I need for 10.8?  Further, since I am going
> >> to be moving to 10.9, what do I need for that.
> >
> >> I updated one computer to 10.9 and found there were still several
> >> versions installed.  I would like to know what I can delete without
> >> blowing up the system.
> >
> > Do not delete anything the system installed.
> >
> Obviously.  Unfortunately, I didn't know it installed them!  I
> re-installed 2.3, 2.5, 2.6 and 2.7 from backup, although I have no idea
> why I need all of them.

Probably because there are compatiblity changes between Python versions,
or there might be in a future version that was not released or known
about when an applicaction which uses Python was written.

To protect against this, the application can run using a specific
compatiblity version of Python (e.g. 2.5.x rather than the latest
installed version).

As a result, Apple has to include several compatibility versions of
Python, and can only get rid of the earlier versions once they have
eliminated or updated all of their code which depended on that version,
and probably also allowed some time for third party developers to move
on to newer versions.

The compatibility changes only occur when there is a change in the first
or second element of the Python version number. A change in third
element of the Python version number is typically a bug fix.

I note that my Mavericks system has Python 2.5.6, 2.6.8 and 2.7.5, so if
you are running Mountain Lion, that implies Apple dropped Python 2.3.x
in OS X 10.9.

The bug fix updates may overlap somewhat between different compatibility
versions, e.g. 2.6.8 was released after 2.7.3.

--
David Empson
dempson@actrix.gen.nz
On 5/21/14 12:04 PM, David Empson wrote:
> I note that my Mavericks system has Python 2.5.6, 2.6.8 and 2.7.5, so if
> you are running Mountain Lion, that implies Apple dropped Python 2.3.x
> in OS X 10.9.

Thanks on the 2.3.  That may go back to a prior OSX release that was
never removed.  I noted the absence of 2.4 and wondered about the need
for 2.3

0
Robert

readline for mac python? (really, reproducing mac python packages)
I'm having trouble finding a reasonable python environment on mac. The supplied binaries, (2.7.2, 3.2.2), are built with old versions of macosx and are not capable of building any third party packages that require gcc. The source builds easily enough out of the box, (./configure --enable-framework && make && sudo make install), but when I do that, I end up with a python interpreter that lacks readline. How do I get readline involved? Or better... is there an instruction sheet somewhere on how to reproduce the python.org binary packages? --rich On 1/1/12 16:49 , K...

Executing Python Scripts on Mac using Python Launcher
Hello, This is my first post so go easy on me. I am just beginning to program usi= ng Python on Mac. When I try to execute a file using Python Launcher my co= de seems to cause an error in terminal, when I execute the exact same piece= of code and run it in windows it seems to execute as exactly intended. How can I make my python script to open up correctly using Python Launcher= ? I am running 10.7 on my Mac. I would upload a photo with the error I ge= t but I can't seem to find the upload feature in this group. Thanks On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 11:19 AM, David Thomas <d...

sys.mac
Dear Friend, I have found some websites: for msn messenger, http://www.hotmailpk.com/ For entertainment,spotlight.articles,interviews,dailyupdate htttp://www.familyandtwist.com/ for sms messeges, smsjokes, http://www.smstwist.com/ for articles,entertainment,beauty tips,news,showbiz and fashion http://www.familypk.com Visit these websites: Thanks ...

When is a Mac not a Mac?

python on Mac
I just purchased a new macbook (os 10.4.6), and I'm trying to install python 2.4 on it. I downloaded and ran the two installers recommended at http://www.python.org/download/mac/. Now I have IDLE, which runs 2.4.1, but typing "python" at a terminal still opens 2.3.5, because it points to /usr/bin/python. Is there a way to run python 2.4 without idle? If I want to do a unix style script, something like #!/usr/bin/python print "hello world" what can I put on the first line that will cause python 2.4 to interpret my code? Thanks a lot. THN Thomas Nelson wrote: > ...

Mac to mac

To Mac or not to Mac?

python is a python
python is a python ...

sys .mac
Dear Friend, I have found some websites: for msn messenger, http://www.hotmailpk.com/ For entertainment,spotlight.articles,interviews,dailyupdate htttp://www.familyandtwist.com/ for sms messeges, smsjokes, http://www.smstwist.com/ for articles,entertainment,beauty tips,news,showbiz and fashion http://http://www.familypk.com Visit these websites: Thanks ...

sys.mac
Dear Friend, I have found some websites: for msn messenger, http://www.hotmailpk.com/ For entertainment,spotlight.articles,interviews,dailyupdate htttp://www.familyandtwist.com/ for sms messeges, smsjokes, http://www.smstwist.com/ for articles,entertainment,beauty tips,news,showbiz and fashion http://www.familypk.com Visit these websites: Thanks ...

sys .mac
Dear Friend, I have found some websites: for msn messenger, http://www.hotmailpk.com/ For entertainment,spotlight.articles,interviews,dailyupdate;Wrestling;gosips;amazing pictuers;cookingrecipes; htttp://www.familyandtwist.com/ for sms messeges, smsjokes, http://www.smstwist.com/ for articles,entertainment,beauty tips,news,showbiz and fashion http://http://www.familypk.com Visit these websites: Thanks ...

Can I have both Python 2.7 and Python 3.1 at the same time on the Mac?
Hi All, I'm new to python, trying to learn it from a variety of resources, = including references posted recently to this list. I'm going through /www.openbookproject.net/thinkCSpy/ and find it makes = use of gasp, which apparently is not compatible with 3.1. I've also seen various resources indicate that one can install both = Python 2.7 and Python 3.1 -- but when I did this, I get no end of = problems in the 2.7 install. IDLE, in particular, fails rather = spectacularly, even if I launch it directly from the Python 2.7 = directory in which it resides. So, either I'...

Installed Python 3 on Mac OS X Yosemite but its still Python 2.7
--001a113ded2a0126060510bb5045 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8 I am currently running OS X Yosemite (10.10.2) on my MacBook Pro... By default, Apple ships Python 2.7.6 on Yosemite. Just downloaded and ran this installer for Python 3: python-3.4.3-macosx10.6.pkg When I opened up my Terminal and typed in python, this is what came up: Python 2.7.6 (default, Sep 9 2014, 15:04:36) [GCC 4.2.1 Compatible Apple LLVM 6.0 (clang-600.0.39)] on darwinType "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.>>> Sor...

Python 3.4.1 installer on Mac links Python to old Tcl/Tk
Hello, I use the Python 3.4.1 installer from https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-341/ The Windows installation comes with Tcl/Tk version 8.6 which has some new features (compared to 8.5) that are very important to me. But the Mac installer does not include Tcl/Tk and the page: https://www.python.org/download/mac/tcltk says: "The Python 64-bit/32-bit Mac OS X installers for Python 3.4.x, 3.3.x, 3.2.x, and 2.7.x dynamically link to Tcl/Tk 8.5 frameworks." I tried to download and install ActiveTcl 8.6.1 for Mac, but Python does not use it... Can anyo...

Help! iSync mac to mac

Web resources about - Python - comp.sys.mac.misc

Python - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Woman bitten on the nose by python during snake show in Phuket
Video of a python that suddenly attacked a Chinese tourist at a snake show on the resort island of Phuket has spread quickly across Thailand's ...

Woman bitten on the nose by python during snake show in Phuket
Video of a python that suddenly attacked a Chinese tourist at a snake show on the resort island of Phuket has spread quickly across Thailand's ...

Carpet python found eating flying fox on North Stradbroke
Queensland ecologist stumbles upon carpet python tucking into winged midnight snack.

Woman bitten on the nose by python during snake show in Phuket
Video of a python that suddenly attacked a Chinese tourist at a snake show on the resort island of Phuket has spread quickly across Thailand's ...

Woman bitten on the nose by python during snake show in Phuket
Video of a python that suddenly attacked a Chinese tourist at a snake show on the resort island of Phuket has spread quickly across Thailand's ...

A Burmese python can out-eat a human any day
Biologists captured X-ray images of a Burmese python eating an alligator to learn how the reptiles digest food

Florida issues 'Python Challenge' to combat invasive snake - CNN.com
The Burmese python, one of the largest snakes in the world, is running amok in Florida.

Man Caught On Camera In Pet Store Shoving Python Down Pants
... his pants . Last week in Portland, OR, a pet store’s surveillance cameras caught a man on camera who used this method to conceal a pricey python ...

Programmers: It’s time to tame Python
If you’re pursuing a career in coding, you’re going to have to reckon with Python, one of the most popular programming languages in use. A valuable ...