sharing printer on Mac with Mac/Windows

Hi. I have a new Mac G5 with a USB printer attached to it. I would like
to print to this printer from other computers also, other Macs and
Windows machines. I have:
1) Enabled Printer Sharing
2) Enabled Windows Sharing
3) In Print & Fax, selected Sharing and check marded this printer.

According to Mac Help, this printer should automatically appear in
print dialog boxes from any other computer on the subnet that can see
it. Well, I think my laptop is on the same subnet but I cannot see it.
Where exactly should I see it? There is a list of "Shared Printers" and
also of "Bonjour Printers". Also, in the Print & Fax preferences, I try
to add a printer, then select More Printers, then select Windows
Printing, but it does not show up there either.

I would appreciate any help. Thank you.

comp.sys.mac.misc 7155 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

In article
<1155595187.121280.113330@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
 "ash" <agarwal1975@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi. I have a new Mac G5 with a USB printer attached to it. I would like
> to print to this printer from other computers also, other Macs and
> Windows machines. I have:
> 1) Enabled Printer Sharing
> 2) Enabled Windows Sharing
> 3) In Print & Fax, selected Sharing and check marded this printer.
>
> According to Mac Help, this printer should automatically appear in
> print dialog boxes from any other computer on the subnet that can see
> it. Well, I think my laptop is on the same subnet but I cannot see it.
> Where exactly should I see it? There is a list of "Shared Printers" and
> also of "Bonjour Printers". Also, in the Print & Fax preferences, I try
> to add a printer, then select More Printers, then select Windows
> Printing, but it does not show up there either.
>
> I would appreciate any help. Thank you.

2 things.

What is the Windows workgroup name?  MSHOME or WORKGROUP?

Mac OS X by default is WORKGROUP, and Windows-XP home edition I
think is MSHOME (where as I think the Windows-XP Professional
edition is WORKGROUP).

Assuming this is a workgroup name issue, you can change your Mac
OS X workgroup using

    Applications -> Utilities -> Directory Access
        click on padlock in lower left
        enter your password
        select SMB/CIFS
        click Configure...
        enter the workgroup name used by your Windows system.
        ignore the WINS Server field

2nd possible thing.  Do you have more than one router active on
your home network with the Mac and the Windows system being on the
opposite side of one of those routers?

For example, say you have a Cable or DSL modem that has an
integrated router or you have a 3rd party Cable/DSL Router, and
one of your systems is plugged directly into this box.

Now in addition, you have a separate 802.11g WiFi Cable/DSL Router
(which could also be an Airport base station), and the other
system is connected via WiFi.

Unless you have done something special to disable the routing
capabilities of the WiFi base station, then you will have a
situation where there is a router between your 2 systems, and thus
each system is on a separate subnet.

If you have this situation, you can disable the routing by turning
off DHCP and NAT server functions in the extra router box.  For a
3rd party WiFi base station, look for DHCP and NAT services and
turn them off.  If it is an Apple Airport base station, then using
the Airport Admin Utility, Network tab, turn OFF "Distribute IP
addresses", which will turn an Airport base station into a WiFi to
ethernet bridge (which is what you want in this situation).

                                        Bob Harris
Thanks for the tips. The workgroup name is WORKGROUP on the relevant
machines. I am at a university and all computers are connected to an
ethernet port. But is it possible that they are not on the same subnet?
How can you tell what subnet a computer is on?

The laptop I cannot find the printer from at all is running Mac OS X.
Maybe I just don't know where or how to look (I'm new to Mac). From a
Windows machine, the printer does show up, although printing doesn't
work. It sends the job, the job shows up in the queue as completed, but
it never actually printed.

Bob Harris wrote:
> [...]

 "ash" <agarwal1975@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi. I have a new Mac G5 with a USB printer attached to it. I would like
> to print to this printer from other computers also, other Macs and
> Windows machines. I have:
> 1) Enabled Printer Sharing
> 2) Enabled Windows Sharing
> 3) In Print & Fax, selected Sharing and check marded this printer.
>
> According to Mac Help, this printer should automatically appear in
> print dialog boxes from any other computer on the subnet that can see
> it. Well, I think my laptop is on the same subnet but I cannot see it.
> Where exactly should I see it? There is a list of "Shared Printers" and
> also of "Bonjour Printers". Also, in the Print & Fax preferences, I try
> to add a printer, then select More Printers, then select Windows
> Printing, but it does not show up there either.

No need for windows sharing.

With Printer sharing enabled, go and download Bonjour for Windows at
<http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/bonjour/>.  The link is near the
bottom right.  Install that on the Windows box and then run the wizard
it provides.  You can then browse any available shared printers from
your Mac(s) and choose which to install.  You'll need to identify them
as Generic/PostScript instead of the actual brand, but I've yet to have
any issues with mine when connected this way.  I use XP at home for work
and have a company-owned laptop set up just this way.

= Steve =
--
Steve W. Jackson
Montgomery, Alabama

Also, I still cannot find the printer from other Macs. That should work
easily, but I just cannot find it.