Should I get a firewall?

I've been getting email letters in the past couple of days from a
stranger  who's complaining that she's getting unsolicited email from me.

In one of her letters to me, she quoted one of the letters that was
purportedly from me, which said: "Thanks for use of our software." But I
didn't knowingly send her any email.

Lately, I've gotten letters from strangers with the same heading and an
attachment with each letter.

I wonder if a firewall would protect my computer, too, from bombardment
of junk email.
0
not57 (5)
2/7/2005 3:50:32 AM
comp.sys.mac.misc 7155 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

Tony W. <not@my-real-email-address-to-deter-junk.mail> wrote:

> Should I get a firewall?
>
> I've been getting email letters in the past couple of days from a
> stranger  who's complaining that she's getting unsolicited email from me.
>
> In one of her letters to me, she quoted one of the letters that was
> purportedly from me, which said: "Thanks for use of our software." But I
> didn't knowingly send her any email.
>
> Lately, I've gotten letters from strangers with the same heading and an
> attachment with each letter.

There's nothing you can do about this. You are not sending those emails;
a virus or worm has gotten hold of your email address somehow and is
pretending to be you.

> I wonder if a firewall would protect my computer, too, from bombardment
> of junk email.

It wouldn't. It's good to have some sort of firewall protection but not
for any of the reasons you've given so far. m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = matt@tidbits.com, http://www.tidbits.com/matt/
AppleScript: The Definitive Guide
 "Tony W." <not@my-real-email-address-to-deter-junk.mail> wrote:

> Should I get a firewall?
>
> I've been getting email letters in the past couple of days from a
> stranger  who's complaining that she's getting unsolicited email from me.
>
> In one of her letters to me, she quoted one of the letters that was
> purportedly from me, which said: "Thanks for use of our software." But I
> didn't knowingly send her any email.

Spammers are putting random "from" e-mail addresses on some
spam.  That has two effects.  First, the bounces clutter up
someone else's machine.  Second, it throws complainers off
track.

If you have a PC, it is possible that your PC has been hijacked
and is sending out E-mails.  If you don't have a PC, then it
isn't likely.

Beyond that, the answer is YES, you should be running a firewall.
A software firewall is OK for one computer, but if you have
more than one box on a network, then you should have a hardware
firewall, too.

-john-

John A. Weeks III           952-432-2708            john@johnweeks.com
Newave Communications                         http://www.johnweeks.com
john82 (103)
2/7/2005 7:34:16 AM
you could probably do with virus software.  if you are using osx you
have a firewall already installed, which you need just turn on in the
system preferences, under the sharing button.

Tony W. wrote:
> Should I get a firewall?
>
> I've been getting email letters in the past couple of days from a
> stranger  who's complaining that she's getting unsolicited email from
me.

> In one of her letters to me, she quoted one of the letters that was
> purportedly from me, which said: "Thanks for use of our software."
But I
> didn't knowingly send her any email.
>
> Lately, I've gotten letters from strangers with the same heading and
an
> attachment with each letter.
>

> I wonder if a firewall would protect my computer, too, from
bombardment
> of junk email.

0
izzysmum (5)
2/7/2005 12:30:34 PM
Yes, a firewall is good (isn't one part of OS X?), both a hard firewall on your
network if you have one and a soft firewall on your computer.

But your computer/network is not what is happening here.  Either, someone who
has your email address in their address book has a virus which is insertin g
this in mails it sends out, (this would be a windows machine) or someone is
using your email address as a from email address when they send out spam
(Spoofing).  Either way there is nothing YOU can do about it. (sorry).

Julie

--
Julie
**********

http://www.dragonsholm.org/travel.htm
0
jholm (26)
2/7/2005 12:54:24 PM
In article <1107779433.990299.148050@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
 "izzy's mum" <izzysmum@aapt.net.au> wrote:

> you could probably do with virus software.  if you are using osx you
> have a firewall already installed, which you need just turn on in the
> system preferences, under the sharing button.

If you are using Windows XP you have firewall already installed also.
A firewall is a good thing to have, but firewalls don't do anything
about spam email.

Mike
0
abc32 (1116)
2/7/2005 8:41:03 PM
Juliana L Holm schrieb:
> Yes, a firewall is good (isn't one part of OS X?), both a hard firewall on your
> network if you have one and a soft firewall on your computer.
Yep - it's a graphical frontend for ipfw and for most Mac users this
frontend is sufficient.
0
usenet77 (1)
2/9/2005 4:12:47 AM

izzy's mum wrote:

> you could probably do with virus software.  if you are using osx you
> have a firewall already installed, which you need just turn on in the
> system preferences, under the sharing button.

Thanks, Izzy's mum and others.

I have virus software -- Norton Antivirus -- but I stopped using it
about a year and-a-half ago, on the recommendation of several experts in
the Macintosh newsgroups. Those experts wrote that virus programs aren't
needed now, and that Norton Antiviirus can cause more problems than it
solves. They added that there haven't been any significant Macintosh
virus for ten years.

I'm using System 9.21, so I don't have a firewall.

Tony

> Tony W. wrote:
> > Should I get a firewall?
> >
> > I've been getting email letters in the past couple of days from a
> > stranger  who's complaining that she's getting unsolicited email from
> me.
> >
> > In one of her letters to me, she quoted one of the letters that was
> > purportedly from me, which said: "Thanks for use of our software."
> But I
> > didn't knowingly send her any email.
> >
> > Lately, I've gotten letters from strangers with the same heading and
> an
> > attachment with each letter.
> >

> > I wonder if a firewall would protect my computer, too, from
> bombardment
> > of junk email.
0
not57 (5)